my joining Asura experience
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-12-14 21:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like you know me so well man. I will keep doing that if it pleases you Mister "I got 10 aeonics!".
By Afania 2018-12-14 22:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I went out for 3hr and holy crap at amount of "my choice is better than yours because I am more accomplished" posts.

TEN AEONICS, TEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2018-12-14 22:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
I went out for 3hr and holy crap at amount of "my choice is better than yours because I am more accomplished" posts.

If someone makes a meme out of this ten aeonic thing .. I'd be so happy.

Anyways! I only came here to respond to Ladyofhonor, a player I respect as they're great in leading people to achieve things without having to pay (unmercing asura). I'm sure many of you found it as entertaining as I did. Peace.

PS: My bad, unmercing asura is Nyariko.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-12-14 22:09:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Did we have good memes this year? I didn't follow forums much.

This one could be December.
By Afania 2018-12-14 22:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »

Anyways! I only came here to respond to Ladyofhonor, a player I actually respect as they're great in leading people to achieve things without having to pay (unmercing asura). I'm sure many of you found it as entertaining as I did. Peace.

Someone already done, 16 aeonics, on Odin, in 2016, before the 10 aeonic guy got their first.

https://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots/78768

We need SE to remove the cap on aeonics so it no longer cap at 16, that way we can get our aeonic count go up infinitely to win epeen contest.
[+]
 Fenrir.Anoksunamoon
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Anoksunamoon 2018-12-14 22:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

stupid phone indented everything wrong.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-14 22:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »

Anyways! I only came here to respond to Ladyofhonor, a player I respect as they're great in leading people to achieve things without having to pay (unmercing asura). I'm sure many of you found it as entertaining as I did. Peace.

unmercing ASSura is actually Nyarlko, btw
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2018-12-14 22:19:19
Link | Quote | Reply

By far and away, November's meme theme was:

December can be:

[+]
By Afania 2018-12-14 22:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

This 10 aeonic!!!!! thing is dumb as hell anyways. Building an endgame ls starting from scratch is definitely a (much) bigger accomplishments than getting 10 or even 16 aeonics.

Majority of endgame player will have no problem getting 1 aeonics, once you got first the rest will come easy.

Majority of player, however, does not have the ability nor personal quality to build an endgame group that stick together. I've seen countless endgame linkshell break after a while for various reasons. If ffxi player has resume when they apply to pt, 90% of people can probably put "Completed aeonic" on their resume. But 90% of endgame player will never be able to put "successfully build an endgame ls and maintained it for more than 1 year".

If you are HR, which resume values more is easy to see. Irl, a resume with a successful CEO experience will have more value than a resume with 10 software skills.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-12-14 23:06:55
Link | Quote | Reply

This 10 aeonic!!!!! thing is dumb as hell anyways. Building an endgame ls starting from scratch is definitely a (much) bigger accomplishments than getting 10 or even 16 aeonics.

Majority of endgame player will have no problem getting 1 aeonics, once you got first the rest will come easy.

Majority of player, however, does not have the ability nor personal quality to build an endgame group that stick together. I've seen countless endgame linkshell break after a while for various reasons. If ffxi player has resume when they apply to pt, 90% of people can probably put "Completed aeonic" on their resume. But 90% of endgame player will never be able to put "successfully build an endgame ls and maintained it for more than 1 year".

If you are HR, which resume values more is easy to see. Irl, a resume with a successful CEO experience will have more value than a resume with 10 software skills.
In my experience as someone going through interviews, they only ever cared about the "I got an Aeonic" part. They never cared about the CEO one, or only to comfort their choice that "I got an Aeonic" isn't me bullshtting.

However, I agree with you, obviously. I lead interviews from time to time for new employees in my company, I usually ask them questions about how they did stuff, having an Aeonic is great but I want to know how they did that. I haven't seen anyone else do that in any of the interviews I've been part of.

So either it's simply not something to be done or people really mostly don't care.

Interviews were on people living in EU and Canada, so it's not really a cultural thing I'd say.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-14 23:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Only results matter. If you spent 30 years training your entire life and have some incredible uplifting story, but got second, guess who is never hearing that amazing uplifting story.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2018-12-14 23:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Why'd they make a movie about Rudy, then?
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-14 23:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

They won that game, btw

#69 in box office for 93' id say that qualifies as no one
By Afania 2018-12-14 23:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

In my experience as someone going through interviews, they only ever cared about the "I got an Aeonic" part. They never cared about the CEO one, or only to comfort their choice that "I got an Aeonic" isn't me bullshtting.

However, I agree with you, obviously. I lead interviews from time to time for new employees in my company, I usually ask them questions about how they did stuff, having an Aeonic is great but I want to know how they did that. I haven't seen anyone else do that in any of the interviews I've been part of.

So either it's simply not something to be done or people really mostly don't care.

Interviews were on people living in EU and Canada, so it's not really a cultural thing I'd say.

I was speaking from Canadian pov, personal quality of candidates often come out higher than software skills because skills are easy to learn. When it comes to software skills how you use it actually matters more. So essentially render it useless mostly.

For example, anyone can learn how to use Microsoft office or Adobe Photoshop in a day. It's not tough to put such skill on the resume. However, writing a compelling sales letter to a prospect or do a great looking design with these software is so much harder.

Aeonic in ffxi means the same. 10 aeonics in endgame means absolutely nothing unless the player masters all 10 jobs in different role. A player with polearm, gk, chango, dagger is equal to having 1 aeonics because they are in the same role, and what really matter is their performance on these jobs in endgame. An aeonic DD doesn't mean jack ***if that DD can't out parse other DDs because they'll have to play support.

The ability of a leader values more in game and irl. It means that person is consistent, how many people in game quit after 3 months of leading? Too many. How many people fail to solve member conflict as a leader and cause group break? Way too many.

People that can organize, solve conflict, problem solve and advertise/recruit successfully for the ls, these traits are more valuable because it's rare. It's a more notable accomplishments on small servers because the leader will need better recruit ability and people skill than a ls on bigger server.

While getting aeonic is just the matter of spamming bps. Getting 10 aeonics means you spam more bps. Unless the owner of the aeonic actually play the job better than others, it's not as much of an accomplishment as building and maintaining an endgame linkshell on a dead server from scratch.
By Afania 2018-12-15 00:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Only results matter. If you spent 30 years training your entire life and have some incredible uplifting story, but got second, guess who is never hearing that amazing uplifting story.

And I was strictly speaking about result. One accomplishments is building an endgame ls on a 300 people server start from scratch, when everybody and their mother told him it's impossible that he should give up and transfer.

Another accomplishment is owning 10 aeonics when people completed all 16 way back in 2016 on Odin.

The leader guy done the impossible, The 10 aeonic guy is not even 2nd, but further behind. As so many people has 16 aeonics now.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-12-15 00:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

16 aeonics now.
That's at least -5/6 inventory(npc can hold one for you). They should feel bad.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2018-12-15 00:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odinz said: »
Which job would be the CEO if FFXI was a company.

DRGs would be procurement for sure. No one likes them, don't really need them, and they're always claiming their job is hot ***.

WHMs would be I.T., people think their job's easy until they try it. "Oh ***there's more to this than casting cureIV?" - "Oh ***you mean you guys do other sutff other than tell people to restart their PC's when windows crashes?"

PUP and MNK would HR and employee relations - "special" people that use big flashy words to describe their roles, which are usually just code for remedial normal stuff. "Facilitate his exit" ooooohhh... couldn't have said "fire him?", "Victory Smite"- couldn't have said punch it 4 times?

BLU is marketing. Has an answer for everything

WAR is the CEO. Just walks into the meeting room and lays some Big *** damage on the board room table.

DRK is the CFO. Always trying to keep up with the CEO, but gets *** slapped when he comes too close.

BRD, GEO, COR - COO's... trying to run ***while everyone else is busy making a big *** mess.

Underrated post.
By volkom 2018-12-15 00:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk what's more fun to read now. Legacy server threads or asura ones. But you know what~ SE should do a hardcore server. If your character dies, it's dead forever and all the gear lost disappears.

Getting to 99 and fully geared w.o death would be an achievement
[+]
By Mookies 2018-12-15 02:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Boshi said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
maybe you haven't been accepted in any LS because you're too far behind and people cba to help other players grow up and want to recruit exclusively players who are "up-to-date"? Selfish/egoistical approach, but I'm sure you can understand it?

Nothing selfish about not wanting to carry people.

If you don't keep some standard you can very end up just ending up in a revolving door of returning ppl helping them gear up till they quit or leave

Except for the fact that nobody lifts a finger these days to help anyone. Which means if you can't solo it, you're going to have to pay someone to merc it for you. Funny how those same people who wouldn't help before suddenly want to charge 20m for something stupid.

In most cases people quit because they can't progress, because the game was designed around people playing together and helping each other. It was not designed to be a merc sim with a bunch of *** treating everyone with lesser gear as if they were trash.
 Asura.Shiraj
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2018-12-15 04:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Mookies said: »
Boshi said: »
Asura.Sechs said: »
maybe you haven't been accepted in any LS because you're too far behind and people cba to help other players grow up and want to recruit exclusively players who are "up-to-date"? Selfish/egoistical approach, but I'm sure you can understand it?

Nothing selfish about not wanting to carry people.

If you don't keep some standard you can very end up just ending up in a revolving door of returning ppl helping them gear up till they quit or leave

Except for the fact that nobody lifts a finger these days to help anyone. Which means if you can't solo it, you're going to have to pay someone to merc it for you. Funny how those same people who wouldn't help before suddenly want to charge 20m for something stupid.

In most cases people quit because they can't progress, because the game was designed around people playing together and helping each other. It was not designed to be a merc sim with a bunch of *** treating everyone with lesser gear as if they were trash.

Good thing. Im gonna start a thread about that, i no longer merc or even want to merc cos of how boring it is i may start offering free aeonic merc for the NMs which i can solo which is more than half them, just few big ones i cant offer such as reisenjima t3s and t4s.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2018-12-15 04:45:33
Link | Quote | Reply

this post is like an exact yell weekdays 12-2pm cst on asura
[+]
By Afania 2018-12-15 04:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't agree with everything above, group content in ffxi heavily favor long term working relationship. There's a drastic better efficiency and success rate in VD with people that you know. People are much more likely to leave after one fail in PUG too, resulting even worse efficiency.

Established endgame groups also tend to clear the hardest content faster than majority of community and get all the benefit.

For example, back in July demons medal was 10m each and I made 50 or even 70m in one single wave 3 run just by selling all the medals. I play 1 character only, no split.

2 months later profit per run quickly decrease. These days it's impossible to make that much anymore with 500k medals each. Unless you sell spot or multi box, or go with very small groups.

The thing is, only established endgame group that's been together for a very long time will have that kind of resources to build a winning alliance immediately after content is out. Everyone else is just chasing established groups progression because they need time to build up jobs and create pt synergy.

It has been that way for long time in past 10 years of ffxi, not just wave3.... Legion, ADL, Delve, aeonic in 2016. PUG was never the first that clears the content, top end ls of each server did. And these people were the one who made the most Gil selling currency and wins, before the content become easy and devalues currency.

I get it, current ffxi doesn't completely block people without ls from accessing the content completely. And they can get certain level of success with PUG. But they are not going to come close to endgame groups in terms of efficiency, not even close.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-12-15 07:28:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chaostaru said: »
his post is like an exact yell weekdays 12-2pm cst on asura

Lol! this is exactly right!

someone before said it wasn't just the idiot yelling stupid stuff, but the 60 ppl yelling in reply!
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-12-15 10:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
mhomho said: »
They don't see that the point of the game is simply to find enjoyment playing however you like for as long as the game exists.
Until you get called a gimp for not having end-game ready gear, and get no invites to content on your BST.

You need to do things you don't enjoy to get ***done, if you don't get ***done there is no point in playing the game.

MMOs and any online game are a reflection of real life. You have people that get ***done, casuals that get by happily being average and bottom feeders. People in the middle are generally happiest, but those at the top are still better off than being bottom feeders. There is no joy in being a bottom feeder.
At any point of this game's life, people with unspeakable gear have been having fun in Campaign, in Reives, whatever.

I remember a guy 12 years ago who literally would play for his NPC fellow and nothing else and he was having the most fun ever.

The same way, I see people with minimum wage jobs being happy no matter how shitty the job is.

I don't know how old you are but you did play the age card earlier in this thread. This kind of comment you are making here is the kind of comment someone who is 16-25 would spew, someone who hasn't finished his studies and has absolutely no clue what the world is about. Someone who hasn't paid attention to life or even their parents/family.

If you are actually any older than that and you still believe this to be true, you have a deeper issue than just misjudging FFXI players. And we can't really help you with that, we can't slap reality into you through your modem.
[+]
 Sylph.Snk
Server: Sylph
user: SNK
By Sylph.Snk 2018-12-15 11:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want to say this thread has been downright entertaining. You never get this kind of quality on the official forums but yeah I'm banned from there anyways!
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9