New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » Ambuscade Volume 1 - December 2018
Ambuscade Volume 1 - December 2018
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13
By dustinfoley 2018-12-15 06:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I got that endeath is only 60-30 sechs, wasnt my question...

thanks ladyofhonor
By Staleyx 2018-12-15 06:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Just keep shadows up, nothing special about it. Hope you are not carrying a DD so the mega will bounce around.
 Asura.Yankke
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Yankke23
By Asura.Yankke 2018-12-15 07:32:34
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN burn!?
 Ragnarok.Galiber
Server: Ragnarok
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2018-12-15 08:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
If you want the "with SP's fastest run" you'd likely bring a MNK and a THF. THF can larceny PD, giving them 50s of immunity, and follow it with their own PD, so...95s of immunity during the final 50% of the boss. Which is the entire duration really. And Hundred fists in this scenario is insane. In our final run of the night in our series Ruau and I were each over 24k DPS since we blew our SP's.

Very true, let's say fastest without 2 hours. Spammable
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-15 10:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
If you want the "with SP's fastest run" you'd likely bring a MNK and a THF. THF can larceny PD, giving them 50s of immunity, and follow it with their own PD, so...95s of immunity during the final 50% of the boss. Which is the entire duration really. And Hundred fists in this scenario is insane. In our final run of the night in our series Ruau and I were each over 24k DPS since we blew our SP's.

I'd say a top tier MNK is probably best without SP, but THF and likely NIN, each with Empyrean, will likely be able to keep up fine. Ruau and I traded top parse with me having a slight advantage in our runs, but his su5 isn't fully upgraded, he only has +1 neck, etc. So fully tricked out he may take a slight lead over me.
By Ruaumoko 2018-12-15 13:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

dustinfoley said: »
Just curious, with rua's method, how do you handle the 'high rate of endeath'. It didnt look like the bard was singing goddess non stop or anything
Green was using Finale on Animating Wail and Fortifying Wail.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-15 14:42:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Thats the "right" way to do it(D or lower). people can't kite worth a god damn. They don't know how to do it anymore but insist on trying (and failing).

Considering they can use triple reversal even if you tank them in the very back while taking 0 damage, kiting is irrelevant. People are overlooking the actual mechanics of this month's ambuscade comparing it to October of last year. Sometimes they won't have TP at the same time, and Triple Reversal never goes off, but this is simply confirmation bias. Just because it works sometimes, doesn't mean it will always work.

The kiting method IS reliable if you are using Clipper since you can outrange Triple Reversal, but for those that don't feel like losing 35+% of their runs, or just cheating, you folks should consider killing the adds like Savael suggested. It's slower, but much more predictable and mistakes have a lower chance of causing failure.
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-15 17:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's 7pm on friday and there is actually zero queue 3 days after an update. That's how bad they are at kiting.

There should be literally a thousand nin thf mnk dnc mains shouting for this.

Eiryl: "LOL just kite better 4head"

Edit: I'm brain damaged.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-15 18:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Incorrect, where the *** did you get that from lul? I say DONT KITE AT ALL. No part of thf nin dnc and mnk involve kiting.

Kronkeykong said: »
Long explanation, tl:dr not kiting
Thats the "right" way to do it(D or lower). people can't kite worth a god damn.
Or split em up (for lower difficulties)

Mnk nin dnc thf all tank each individual mob. No kites. No plds. No runes. (pup pretty good for it tbh but slow)
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2018-12-15 18:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Incorrect, where the *** did you get that from lul? I say DONT KITE AT ALL. No part of thf nin dnc and mnk involve kiting.

Kronkeykong said: »
Long explanation, tl:dr not kiting
Thats the "right" way to do it(D or lower). people can't kite worth a god damn.
Or split em up (for lower difficulties)

Mnk nin dnc thf all tank each individual mob. No kites. No plds. No runes. (pup pretty good for it tbh but slow)

Apologies. Must have misread. Still want to footstomp this for people coming to this topic for advice, Kiting is a waste of time.

Sorry again, Eiryl.

It seems like almost every group on Asura is married to the idea of Kiting even when the discussion page expressly says not to.

I've even had people say I'm "drinking the kool-aid" for not going with their brain dead strats.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-15 18:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

no problem, it happens.

Kiting is the FASTER way, in theory. If you can pull it off. This is the only thing people see. OMG FAST.

Killing adds (by splitting up) is the safer, idiot proof method (IE slower)

And, just to address this part, I pick "nin thf dnc mnk (blu pup maybe bst)" instead of trying to jam "war sam drk drg" in there, because typically those kinds of people are "worse" at keeping shadows up and evade noticeably less than light armor jobs.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2018-12-15 20:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder how DRGs pet performs here
By Afania 2018-12-15 21:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Kiting is the FASTER way, in theory. If you can pull it off.

If smn can main heal DD, mewing should have identical kill speed as kiting, theorically.

Kiting pt setup: tank, DDx2, brd, cor, rdm
Mewing setup: tank, DDx2, brd, cor, smn.

I'm 100% certain the kiting path in ruaus video isnt fail proof. I've seen groups uses identical kiting path as ruau video and TR magically landed anyways.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-15 21:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

The night of Ruau's video we cleared it 5x in an hour without any issues. It's not foolproof, few things are, but once you get the pattern down it's not high risk.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-12-15 23:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't let waterystar mislead you, they wiped a ***ton of times before those wins. I know of groups that did the exact same thing, got several wins in a row, the next day did the same thing with the same people and got trashed. Success of the kiter heavily relies on luck cause SE sucks. Mobs treat other mobs and players are obstructions and attempt to path around them, this can cause mobs to decided that going the long way around a pillar is a better idea then going the way the kiter intended, sometimes you survive, other times this kills you. The more monsters are present the bigger this issue becomes because here are more mobs trying to go in the same direction and pathing into each other.

Just take the 30~60s extra, kill the first wave of adds and take the piss easy wins. No frustration, mules and random people can be brought in and everything just works better.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-15 23:57:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, we wiped a ton the first night trying various strategies, which you can read in the first post in this thread. Then after "figuring out" the mechanic, we went at it again, and as long as the kiter was competent, we had no issues. As I said, that night was 5x runs with the same kiter having zero issues. The next night went at it again with a new kiter, he failed us twice, and then started messing up only at the final % and I had switched to healing on GEO where I then had secondary hate on all the adds, so I finished kiting them on GEO and we won without incident after that. So far as long as the kiter gets the pattern down there's little issue with kiting.
By Afania 2018-12-16 00:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say a top tier MNK is probably best without SP, but THF and likely NIN, each with Empyrean, will likely be able to keep up fine. Ruau and I traded top parse with me having a slight advantage in our runs, but his su5 isn't fully upgraded, he only has +1 neck, etc. So fully tricked out he may take a slight lead over me.

We did a bunch of VD and surprisingly Ukon warrior was winner of the parse.

I don't think job actually matter as long as DD uses empyrean with AM3 up. So people stop shouting nin mnk only or something D=
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-16 00:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hasn't been one single MNK shout yet, and there wasn't last year, and there won't be this year.

NIN, obviously, not because of damage, but because of safety. 7 shadows > 3.
 Leviathan.Kozumi
Server: Leviathan
user: Shiyo
By Leviathan.Kozumi 2018-12-16 00:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Hasn't been one single MNK shout yet, and there wasn't last year, and there won't be this year.

I did it as mnk/mnk/nin/rdm as dd's and me(kikoku nin, no augment) and the godhands monk did the same damage, the rdm did a bit less and the returning player monk did less than the RDM but he's not geared or even 2100. We were doing D.

Monks pretty nice for this ambu.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-16 00:16:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

I don't think job actually matter as long as DD uses empyrean with AM3 up. So people stop shouting nin mnk only or something D=

Do you know what the Ukon warriors DPS was? Because % of parse is more dependent on the group. Whereas with all buffs equal, DPS is going to be a slightly better way to weigh the DD. Ukon warrior would have a slight advantage in this fight since the way mechanics work at capped hate, it would actually go onto a faster swinging job more often so the Ukon warrior can focus on DDing over casting shadows, though, so there is that.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-16 00:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kozumi said: »

I did it as mnk/mnk/nin/rdm as dd's and me(kikoku nin, no augment) and the godhands monk did the same damage, the rdm did a bit less and the returning player monk did less than the RDM but he's not geared or even 2100. We were doing D.

Monks pretty nice for this ambu.

I didn't say anything about mnk = good or bad. Just that shouts for it do not exist. and won't. Not going to take a safety mnk when you can get a bandwagnarok war. and if you give them the choice they're not going to NOT use their masasam. obviously.

Mnk's perfect counter for when shadows get "oopsed" is amazing.
By Afania 2018-12-16 01:22:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »

Do you know what the Ukon warriors DPS was? Because % of parse is more dependent on the group. Whereas with all buffs equal, DPS is going to be a slightly better way to weigh the DD. Ukon warrior would have a slight advantage in this fight since the way mechanics work at capped hate, it would actually go onto a faster swinging job more often so the Ukon warrior can focus on DDing over casting shadows, though, so there is that.

Just checked, seems to be 22k at the end, followed by Armageddon cor at 20k, Spharai mnk (main tank) at 18k. Clear time was 5:20 sec including buff, 3.5 min actual engage time from start to finish on scoreboard.

It's lower than 24k but mnk nor war used sp, nor we have thf to steal 1hr. So if you consider the fact pd lowers DD dps on scoreboard I don't see war being TOO behind.

Empy Drk are likely to get more dps than war with additional ja haste AND crit dmg job point. Empy scythe probably beats empy GS with bigger DMG too, IF ws is capped with scythe.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-12-16 06:27:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Really solely depends on the queue. it's always better to smash Difficult than it is to even bother with Very Difficult. Provided queue isn't absolutely regoddamndiculous. This months "extra mechanic" for VD isn't too bad though, it's largely irrelevant. If the Qutrub could still use/kill you with an AOE it'd be different.

Unless its a SMN burn month.

But if people want to do 5~ VD and then never be in the queue again for the rest of the month that's a win for everyone.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2018-12-16 08:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Guys, we put together all the tips from here and did the No Kite strategy. We did the kiting strategy a few times but it was a pain and not really reliable, we found this to be not super duper fast but overall better (9/10 mins).
Hope it helps!

YouTube Video Placeholder

Thanks for this, it looks pretty solid, especially if we've got mules that can't do much. With PLD, WHM, SMN, and BRD all being pretty low activity jobs, would leave just the NINs that need most of the player focus.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-12-16 08:51:25
Link | Quote | Reply

With all WS's practically capped at 99K, the best jobs are those with high melee damage. So yeah emp users and fast swinging jobs work amazingly well.
By Afania 2018-12-16 11:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Really solely depends on the queue. it's always better to smash Difficult than it is to even bother with Very Difficult. Provided queue isn't absolutely regoddamndiculous. This months "extra mechanic" for VD isn't too bad though,

This. Last month VD is noticeably harder than D because you either wipe to head seize or you don't. Without head seize there are no difficulty.

This is not the case this month. D and VD difficulty is pretty much identical. If you wipe to endeath or TR in VD then you will also wipe in D.
By Afania 2018-12-16 11:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
best jobs are those with high melee damage.

Not really just melee dmg, ranged white dmg works perfectly fine in terms of dps because of high D=high white dmg every single shot and forced multi hit with JA like double/triple/quad shot with over 90% proc rate and half has hit +1.

Posted this 100k to 200k damage attack round Armageddon SS in cor thread.

In VD parses yesterday I was on par with rema MNK, with noticeably more advantage as long as TS was used twice with RD/WC. I think Armageddon cor or rng is just as much of a good choice as other empy melee users.
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-12-16 12:11:54
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Yes but 10 D without the learning curve and notably lower chance to lose is still going to be faster than 5 VD. I personally only bother to go for 25-30k hallmarks a month and get it out the way ASAP so it might be different if you go for 100k+ even when accounting for the learning curve and win rate.

Our first night we were wiping we had switched down to D and didn't notice any loss of mechanics. So I don't see how it's much easier. The whole gimmick this month is figuring out how to deal with triple reversal, which groups doing kite and non-kite methods took some time to figure out. Once you're done that, the fight is pretty cake either way, so this is actually one of the months where I don't notice a difference in difficulty, as such I'd always do VD. This isn't like last month where a major difficulty mechanic is only in VD, same number of adds are in D and VD, same triple reversal in D and VD, same endeath, etc.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 11 12 13