Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Transferring FFXI to a new PC
Transferring FFXI to a new PC
By Mavrickx 2018-11-27 06:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

What is the most efficient way to transfer FFXI from an OLD PC (wins 7) to a New upgraded PC (running wins 10)? I'm going to be upgrading my PC soon, and I don't want to go through the hassle of spending 50+ hours download FFXI expansions and sitting through all those tedious updates. Since I have the latest version of FFXI on my old PC I was wondering if I could simply copy the files from my old PC and transfer them over to my new one.
By Nyarlko 2018-11-27 07:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Simply copying over the files will not work. The process that I've used before when doing this is:

1. Install the game as normal via the official installer available on POL.
2. Copy over the existing install on top of the new one.
3. Find and delete a random .dat file. Smaller is better since it will be redownloaded.
4. Run the Repair Files function in POL Viewer.

You need to run the installer no matter what. Windows programs that have to be "installed" need to make entries in the registry in order to run properly. If you try to skip this part, the game will not run.

After you run the installer for the base program, then you should be able to safely overwrite the files (since there are now entries in the registry.)

Deleting a .dat file ensures that the File Repair will detect a problem and update your new install to the current version.
By Zerowone 2018-11-27 07:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Save all your macros server side.

Copy the FFXI folder only.

Copy Windower/Ashita with add ons and plugins.(If you use them)

Clean install PoL,

Open Programs and Features in your W10 control panel.

Select enable/disable Windows Features

Open the file branch “legacy features”

Select “Direct Play”

Open PoL let it update

Run a manual file check, game will then run a second one on server login attempt. (This avoids the version not recognizable error).
By Aerison 2018-11-27 08:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Zerowone said: »
Save all your macros server side.

Just a note, all your character configs including macros are saved client side in the USER folder.