Burtgang Augment - Mechanics?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Burtgang Augment - Mechanics?
Burtgang Augment - Mechanics?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-10 09:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So, it's pretty strange that out of 22 weapons Burtgang was the only one that didn't get WS DMG+%. However, from my current understanding and what I could find on wiki, atonement's damage is based on current enmity and it's enmity generated is just based on damage like any other WS.

Has anyone actually tested the amount of hate given by atonement's use (with or without augment)? I don't doubt SE's incompetence, but throwing a single exception in there certainly makes it seem like atonement may have different hate generation.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-11-10 11:57:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It's definitely been tested before. But not recently. The last test I'm aware of is when, I think it was Byrth, tested it after the change to it's ftp properties. This was the change that made it generate more enmity depending on TP.

While I think retesting is a good idea I don't think there are any significant discoveries hiding in there.

Even with the Augment, based on what we know right now, it's not going to suddenly make atonement useful. The base damage is just far far too low to compete with the enmity generated by DD WS. Even if we went on the low end and said Atonement vs a 20k WS, with Atonement doing around 2k~ the enmity mod would have to be x10 to even get in the same vicinity.

It probably would have been more useful if they'd just changed Atonement to a static enmity value like enmity spells and such. Then you could dump all the WSD+ and go full enmity+.

They really need to update Atonement. Back at 75 it was amazing. Decent dmg, and was the best enmity generation you could get. And you were helping kill the mob while keeping hate. But while DD WS have scaled up into the tens of thousands of dmg, atonement's update put it up to... 2k~. And that's with Burt and lots of WSD gear. -_-

Anyway. I'm not sure if I'm feeling up to retesting Atonement myself. These sorts of enmity tests are a real pain in the ***. But I'll think about it at least.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2018-11-10 13:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I always thought it would be cool if the enmity and a damage multiplier scaled with the number of players in the alliance.

Due to its design, atonement can help you maintain hate (a little little bit) but it will almost never help you get and keep immediate hate for more than a second (ignoring AM3 / Atonement is useless in a desperate situation)

Paladins in a an 18 man alliance busting out 9 or 18k can’t-miss ws’s And say 18 or 36k’s damage-value of enmity. That could be worth something.

But it’s almost my two year quitiversary
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2018-11-10 13:43:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's in a super bad place because when they tripled the enmity cap they didn't adjust atonement so you needed 3x the enmity to do that 2k damage.

I don't play PLD but I remember the change making Atonement kill shots trials awful. Thankfully a lot of WS Damage gear has been added since then at least.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-10 14:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
It probably would have been more useful if they'd just changed Atonement to a static enmity value like enmity spells and such. Then you could dump all the WSD+ and go full enmity+.
This is what I was hinting at/hoping for, tbh. It makes very little sense for them to give it an enmity modifier like that if it's still tied to damage, given the enmity will still be less than savage.

It wouldn't be the first time SE did something stupid, just wasn't sure if anyone had ever confirmed atonement's enmity was tied to damage as expected and how recently.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-11-10 18:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I did some reaaally halfassed testing. But I think it's enough to say that Atonement is still dmg based enmity.

lvl 100 mob.
All Atonements were done with sekkanoki up to force 1k TP. so no enmity bonus from TP.
EDIT: I did Not wear Burtgang for the atonements as the enmity+ would mess with things.

DMG CE
81 18
299 60

At the very lest this shows that Atonement CE still varies with the dmg dealt. Now, this doesn't mean that it uses the same modifier as normal dmg, just that it does vary with dmg dealt. But I tend to doubt it would be any different.

I wish I knew the CE modifiers for lvl 100 and up. Would be helpful. I've not had much luck figuring it out though. Even when I take dmg enmity samples, I can never get anything to work for all of them.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-11-10 19:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Unfortunate, thanks for checking. Swing and a miss on Burtgang augment, then.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [96 days between previous and next post]
By Felgarr 2019-02-14 20:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologies for the necro, but thank you for confirming. I'll put Burtgang on the bottom of my Rank 15 priorities list.