Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Old school Thf advice
Old school Thf advice
 Bismarck.Mazurat
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Mazurat
By Bismarck.Mazurat 2018-10-23 07:47:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone. Decided to play on Nasomi (old school ffxi with the 75 cap) I seem to recall watching in awe when Thf's would SA and pump out some sick numbers. But then when I would play on my thf with some pretty slick gear I'd get numbers nowhere near as impressive. I was always of the mindset of having the best and I strived to get the best of everything and would stop levelling until I had the latest piece.

So with that being said, my knowledge these days is rusty about game mechanics. I was just wondering of anyone knows what I can do to get those SA WS numbers up? I know Dex is a main one with SA, but in my experiences dex wasnt enough. What can I do to put out some impressive numbers?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-10-23 08:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Mazurat said: »
I was always of the mindset of having the best and I strived to get the best of everything and would stop levelling until I had the latest piece.

Then why are you playing on a server that's perpetually 10 years behind?
[+]
By geigei 2018-10-23 08:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Decided to play on Nasomi
Stop reading right here.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2018-10-23 08:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey everyone. Decided to play on Nasomi (old school ffxi with the 75 cap) I seem to recall watching in awe when Thf's would SA and pump out some sick numbers. But then when I would play on my thf with some pretty slick gear I'd get numbers nowhere near as impressive. I was always of the mindset of having the best and I strived to get the best of everything and would stop levelling until I had the latest piece.

So with that being said, my knowledge these days is rusty about game mechanics. I was just wondering of anyone knows what I can do to get those SA WS numbers up? I know Dex is a main one with SA, but in my experiences dex wasnt enough. What can I do to put out some impressive numbers?

Attack or reducing mob defense.

Food or resort to buffs/debuffs
 Asura.Inner
Server: Asura
user: shuff
By Asura.Inner 2018-10-23 08:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Trick attack
Quote:
When used in conjunction with the Assassin trait, the user's next strike has added damage, is guaranteed to be critical and cannot miss, similar to a Thief's Sneak Attack.
> Damage = (Base Damage + Total AGI) x Critical hit pDIF

If this ability is used by a player with Thief set as their main job, the next strike (not subsequent attacks such as in a multi hit weapon skill) will also receive a large boost in damage based on user's AGI. Weapon base damage will increase by 1 for every point of AGI the player has.

If this ability is used while dual-wielding, both hits are guaranteed to hit, but only the first hit will deal critical damage. If Double Attack and/or Triple Attack activate, these hits are guaranteed as well. (This only applies when the Assassin trait becomes available to Thief at Lv 60)

When used without a weapon skill, it will bypass Blink and Utsusemi, but will not remove shadows from these hits. When used with a multi-hit weapon skill, only the first hit will bypass, all other hits can be absorbed by shadows. (This only applies when the Assassin trait becomes available)

If you Counter and attack, and are behind another party member, your hit will deal additional damage as if you had attacked normally. This will not use up the Trick Attack effect, and you can attack again for added damage.

This ability only works with physical attacks, will not work with ranged attacks nor magic-based weapon skills.

Usage of a ranged attack while this ability is active does not cause Trick Attack to wear off.

Sneak Attack
Quote:
When activated, ensures user's next physical melee attack will hit and strike for a critical hit as long as the attack comes from behind the enemy.

This ability will work from any direction if Hide is active.

If this ability is used by a Thief, the next strike will also receive a bonus of 1 base weapon damage for every point of DEX the player has when the attack hits.

The effect wears off after 1 minute, or after the next attack on the enemy.

Sneak Attack works with the following types of attacks:
Standard physical melee attacks (non-Ranged)
If the attack comprises of multiple hits, only the first hit is ensured to be a critical hit and receive the DEX bonus from THF main, but 100% accuracy is applied to all of the hits. (100% accuracy is not applied to all hits of a multi-hit WS)

Use of a ranged attack while this ability is active does not cause it to wear off.

Some physical Weapon Skills (see below)
Only the first hit of multi-hit weapon skills will be enhanced.
Sneak Attack stacked with a weapon skill guarantees the first hit and any off-hand hit of the weapon skill will land with 100% accuracy, but not including any Double Attacks and/or Triple Attacks that occur during the weapon skill. Any hits of a multihit weapon skill after the first are not guaranteed either, and are subject to normal accuracy. Guaranteed hits can still be absorbed by Utsusemi if part of a WS (see below).

Single-target physical Blue Magic (such as Frenetic Rip, but not Frypan)
When using Sneak Attack with Blue Magic, the player must be facing the proper direction, and not just be positioned correctly, for Sneak Attack to take effect.

In forms of Conflict (PvP) only, Sneak Attack adds accuracy to Steal and Mug when used from behind (or from any direction with Hide active) to steal Petras. (In Conflict, Sneak Attack is consumed upon use of either of these abilities.)

When used without a weapon skill, the associated attack will bypass Blink and Utsusemi, but will not consume shadows. All other hits in the same attack round as the SA will also connect (with 100% accuracy) without consuming the target's shadows.

Then there's your WS, several things you need to check :
- what's its modifier ? DEX STR AGI or a mix ?
- can it crit ?
- is it multi-hit ?

Then you do some quick maff with crit hit attack/dmg/crit hit rate/Base Stats/accuracy/weapon skill dmg(not sure this was in vanilla tho) and make sets for SA version/TA version/Solo version and of course weapon's base dmg.

You can always artificially pump up your numbers, with Enfeebles/buffs/foods, SATA on mob weak against piercing/physical damage... but these will never reflect your average efficiency in real situations (healer's afk, TAee keeps movings, debuffs not landing, your macro not firing, lag, paralyze blind etcetc).

enjoy one of the best jobs in the game :D
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-10-23 08:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
I was always of the mindset of having the best and I strived to get the best of everything and would stop levelling until I had the latest piece.

Then why are you playing on a server that's perpetually 10 years behind?
Lol :dead:
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [53 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Louisoix
Server: Leviathan
user: Louisoix
By Leviathan.Louisoix 2018-12-15 08:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Big numbers back then were coming from buffed thf/war using one dagger and a shield. dia/acid bolts etc. all the feels thinking of 75 era. lol Mandau was huge that time frame too
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [874 days between previous and next post]
By Slowforever 2021-05-07 13:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

meat mithkabob was huge, food is a big portion of dps increase during the 75 days, also once you hit 60 you really want accuracy. Each successful strike of dancing edge is determined by this stat.