How Can I Type In Japanese On FFXI?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How can I type in Japanese on FFXI?
How can I type in Japanese on FFXI?
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-09-10 18:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So I've been trying to figure out a way to type in Japanese, i.e Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji, while play ffxi. I found a windower add-on called "IME", but it doesn't seem to be working properly and requires the user to be fluent in Japanese to properly use. This is not the case for me.

Does anyone know of any means by which I can type in Japanese for FFXI, but still keep my CPU on English settings?

Thank you,
Senaki.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-09-10 18:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Google trans what you want to say C+V in chat

How I did VW when it was jp onry
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-09-10 18:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Copy and paste it into ffxi, converts normally. I've had near-full conversations with JP speaking people using google squiggle and was able to learn what they were talking about.
 Asura.Lanun
Server: Asura
By Asura.Lanun 2018-09-10 18:55:42
Link | Quote | Reply

To follow up on Senaki's original question, is there an addon that allows you to copy FROM ffxi chatlog to paste elsewhere?
 Sylph.Feary
Server: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2018-09-10 19:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

i did it back in 2009? um i dont remember every detial but
you have to install the langauge pack for windows. which at the time was located on the iso/disc.
By kishr 2018-09-10 21:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just use jp client. Solved.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-09-11 16:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't want to use google translate since I know Japanese ish and want to be able to type some words/phrases.

kishr said: »
Just use jp client. Solved.
The issue with this is that all of my ffxi related stuff turns to Jp. I'm not fluent in Japanese so I wouldn't be able to read most of the content.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Nyarlko 2018-09-11 17:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
So I've been trying to figure out a way to type in Japanese, i.e Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji, while play ffxi. I found a windower add-on called "IME", but it doesn't seem to be working properly and requires the user to be fluent in Japanese to properly use. This is not the case for me.

Does anyone know of any means by which I can type in Japanese for FFXI, but still keep my CPU on English settings?

Thank you,
Senaki.

The Windower IME plugin has been broken for a very, very long time unfortunately. :(
[+]
 Shiva.Carrelo
Server: Shiva
user: Carrelo
By Shiva.Carrelo 2018-09-11 17:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You can enable Japanese text input in your Control Panel (under clock, language, and region settings) and then use Alt + Shift to toggle between keyboards. Your current keyboard language will be displayed in the taskbar on the bottom right of your screen.

This won't let you type directly into FFXI (and the active keyboard will revert to English when you have a game instance in focus), but you can at least compose your messages elsewhere and copy/paste without relying on translation software.

As an aside, inputting Japanese text without using the JP client is a relatively obvious breach of the ToS (it's impossible to do without third party software)--but of course it's been ages since anyone at SE has even remotely cared about this. There are certainly more egregiously noticeable things happening all the time anyway. :)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-09-11 20:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Carrelo said: »
You can enable Japanese text input in your Control Panel (under clock, language, and region settings) and then use Alt + Shift to toggle between keyboards. Your current keyboard language will be displayed in the taskbar on the bottom right of your screen.

This won't let you type directly into FFXI (and the active keyboard will revert to English when you have a game instance in focus), but you can at least compose your messages elsewhere and copy/paste without relying on translation software.

As an aside, inputting Japanese text without using the JP client is a relatively obvious breach of the ToS (it's impossible to do without third party software)--but of course it's been ages since anyone at SE has even remotely cared about this. There are certainly more egregiously noticeable things happening all the time anyway. :)

That's very interesting, I didn't realize that could be done.

Yeah using 3rd party stuff isn't ideal for most things, but I seriously doubt this would be an issue. Especially given that I would just be using it to better communicate in game lol.

Art he point i'm wondering if I should buy a Japanese/English keyboard and see if I could get it to work on ffxi.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Server: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2018-09-11 20:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need a special keyboard for it, all the weird keys on it are accessible by shortcuts once you get the windows IME working.
By kishr 2018-09-12 07:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Took me a moment to return to this sorry.

You can install japanese language typing on a EN system OS.

Sorry but Google it, it's a long explanation and I'm sure it way better explained with pictures than I can provide. (pm me I'll be happy to help, if you can find it with a search of, how do install X language on my X windows system.)

After that is solved there's 2 other things.

The copy and paste function in windower.

And the log to txt function also.

These are work around and a bit more button and time consuming for conversation on the fly, compared to using jp client.

You receive text, it goes to a log file, since in your case you don't understand japanese, copy and paste that into Google translate for a decent gist of the situation.

Next type what you want to say in English into Google translator and copy paste that into chat log /t

Hope that helps.
By kalimairo 2018-09-12 08:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

watch anime
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-09-12 10:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

kishr said: »
Took me a moment to return to this sorry.

You can install japanese language typing on a EN system OS.

Sorry but Google it, it's a long explanation and I'm sure it way better explained with pictures than I can provide. (pm me I'll be happy to help, if you can find it with a search of, how do install X language on my X windows system.)

After that is solved there's 2 other things.

The copy and paste function in windower.

And the log to txt function also.

These are work around and a bit more button and time consuming for conversation on the fly, compared to using jp client.

You receive text, it goes to a log file, since in your case you don't understand japanese, copy and paste that into Google translate for a decent gist of the situation.

Next type what you want to say in English into Google translator and copy paste that into chat log /t

Hope that helps.

Hmmm, I'll take a look at it when I get time on the weekend. I'll let you know if it seems feasible. ^^

kalimairo said: »
watch anime
That might hone my speaking/listening skills, but is incredibly useless for writing/reading; whereas FFXI would be better for the latter due to constant interactions with a Japanese population.