Game Masters... Controller Or Keyboard?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Game Masters... Controller or Keyboard?
Game Masters... Controller or Keyboard?
By billnes 2018-07-14 09:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello All,

Sometimes when I play FFXI, I'll think about about goofy shite. I was wondering if GM's have game controllers connected to whatever systems Square-Enix provides to them? Perhaps they just use the keyboard for everything?

Thanks so much.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2018-07-14 10:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Do GM's even exist anymore?
By Justuas 2018-07-14 10:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh hi it's that gm guy again. What's up?
[+]
By billnes 2018-07-14 12:47:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Immortalmoon said: »
Do GM's even exist anymore?

Well... There you go... It didn't even dawn on me to consider that.
 Bismarck.Cloudstrafie
Server: Bismarck
user: cloud7886
By Bismarck.Cloudstrafie 2018-07-14 13:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

GM's still do exsist i seen one a few weeks ago in the middle of port jeuno, They have separate accounts and its runs just like any FFXI account they just have access to admin right commands
By Wasteland 2018-07-14 13:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets see the most recent GM pics / no pics it didn't happen. I dont believe their is any GM's no more! Anyone have a GM pic from the last 5yrs?
[+]
 Shiva.Znitch
Server: Shiva
user: znitch
By Shiva.Znitch 2018-07-14 13:46:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasteland said: »
Lets see the most recent GM pics / no pics it didn't happen. I dont believe their is any GM's no more! Anyone have a GM pic from the last 5yrs?

12-3-14 on Shiva
By Justuas 2018-07-14 13:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Znitch said: »
Wasteland said: »

12-3-14 on Shiva
Photoshopped. No shadows. Where are the names?
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2018-07-14 13:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

They use keyboard and mouse and multi screen PCs to allow use of A GM client that accepts GM text commands on one and an auditing program on the other that basically shows what you have in inventory, what you've tossed, what you've done, what happened when you did it, who was there, and what you've said. It also provides an external interface with the in-game chat.

This is pretty much standard as I understand.

GMs don't really have to move in game and are pretty often not even in game when they speak to you.

If you look up the SoA gameplay Camate, Rukkiri, and Beyohne did back in like 2012-2013, you can see Camate using GM commands to move between zones rather than running there.

Since I assume you're going to ask, from what I've seen and what I've been told from a former GM, the GM client is pretty much identical to retail with the exception of accepting GM commands and allowing interfacing with GM moderation tools.
[+]
 Shiva.Znitch
Server: Shiva
user: znitch
By Shiva.Znitch 2018-07-14 14:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Justuas said: »

>.>
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-07-14 14:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Znitch said: »
Justuas said: »

>.>
Why do the names not have shows? :D
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-07-14 14:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
and what you've said.
And yes, this means a GM can see if you've cybered around the timeframe of a given issue.
By Wasteland 2018-07-14 14:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay you proved me wrong photo looks legit. Awesome
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-07-14 17:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

GM's have the option of either, but most seem to prefer keyboard. I imagine because they have to type a decent bit for their jobs.
By Draylo 2018-07-14 17:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I figured most of them just use macros with pre-typed statements lol.
[+]
By billnes 2018-07-14 19:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
They use keyboard and mouse and multi screen PCs to allow use of A GM client that accepts GM text commands on one and an auditing program on the other that basically shows what you have in inventory, what you've tossed, what you've done, what happened when you did it, who was there, and what you've said. It also provides an external interface with the in-game chat.

This is pretty much standard as I understand.

GMs don't really have to move in game and are pretty often not even in game when they speak to you.

If you look up the SoA gameplay Camate, Rukkiri, and Beyohne did back in like 2012-2013, you can see Camate using GM commands to move between zones rather than running there.

Since I assume you're going to ask, from what I've seen and what I've been told from a former GM, the GM client is pretty much identical to retail with the exception of accepting GM commands and allowing interfacing with GM moderation tools.

IIRC, I read here, on FFXIAH, that the GM client and player client is basically the same. Again, IIRC, the 2006 leaked manual says that once Sage Sundi flags a hume Paladin as a GM, he can create the GM armor. You, being the GM can then equip it.

The story I *think* I remember is this: Even if a normal player had the Dynamic Library Link files that allow the double hash GM commands to work, inside of the POL directory they wouldn't work for you. Even with the DLL's you can't use them without the GM flag. Auditing system... Yes, found it... 2006 manual, page 56, 7.11, entitled "Catbert Entries"

I haven't re-read the manual in a few years. I *think* that's how it reads.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-07-14 23:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

GM can be any race or job, but for the sake of uniformity, they are all usually a lv 1 Warrior, no sub, and wear the usual armor. Some may have a shield, some may have a greatsword, some may have a shield and a sword that appears as a greatsword, iirc.

Going by memory here, Judge's Cuirass gives the mirage effect, Judge's Shield gives the blue flame effect on the left hand, and Judge's Sword gives the ember-sparkle effect around the hands.

A long time ago, GMs were allowed more freedom in their race and attire, for example, there are pics of Sage Sundi as a DRK at lv 81 in beta, despite the level cap being roughly 50. He didn't use standard Hume model and instead used the brown hair with beard model. He wore a full Adaman Plate set sans the headpiece and used a Balmung in combat. His Adaman set had no stats.

Beyond that, early GMs were sometimes seen in AF and as different races. There were even images of "GMs in training" where they wore far-east clothing and a Judge's Sword. I don't know why these images existed, nor do I believe they were actually training a GM with anything short of the GM uniform.

No one is ever "flagged for GM" it's a customer service job, you get the flags and character when you get the job.

Additionally, it's speculated, but not proven, that:
-GM names change when they change servers (this is pretty much disproven by the existence of the OF mod team being the same people, also Jhanaka refers to another GM by name.)
-GM characters don't belong to one employee and may be passed on to a new employee so long as the name wasn't well known (due to abuse or drama with examples being Koenigspeil and Gludd)
-GMs may change their character's names, so troublesome or dramatic former GMs may still have their character's in service under a different name and controlled by a new employee.

The last one is actually partially proven as there was a post on OFs where Jhanaka states she was a GM during beta but had a different name.

Jhanaka seems pretty cool, I don't hear much negative about her and being that she was THE beta GM and Mod on the FFXIV ARR beta forums, she interacted with the public quite a bit.
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2018-07-14 23:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, right. For explanation;

Keonigspeil was a GM who used his GM character to solo Dynamis for his personal character, iirc.

Gludd, on the other hand, was allegedly "GM Deepthroat" who leaked info, images of debugging zones, and quite honestly didn't give a single *** when it came to RMT.

I've heard stories of Gludd watching RMT steal Nidhogg from an LS and making it invulnerable till the RMTs wiped. I found this funny.