Forum » Windower » Support » Severe FPS drop
Severe FPS drop
 Odin.Willster
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: tallica
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-28 11:49:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Alrighty, I hate making threads but this is killing me.
I've been having issues with FPS dropping to low teens/high single digit numbers recently. Started happening few days ago on my older pc, so I thought it was an issue with that pc. It's also happening with my new pc. I am multiboxing, but it's never been an issue with either of my pcs.

Anyone else experimenting this or is this just somehow an issue with both of my PCs???
By kalimairo 2018-05-28 13:37:21
Link | Quote | Reply

are u allowing ASUS Expereince to run while u play xi?
like gigabyte oc guru or something like that, just close it if you do.
 Shiva.Berzerk
Server: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2018-05-28 14:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you tried unloading any/all plugins and reloading them 1 by 1 to see if there's one or a few causing the fps drops? In my experience Logger and FindAll are the culprit when something like this is happening.
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-28 15:09:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Unloaded all plugins. I restart my machine, all characters are at 29 fps. Over time they slowly dwindle down. They are down to 15 fps right now. Maybe something on my pc is doing this, I don't know. Big coincidence if both my pcs are doing this.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-28 15:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

kireek said: »
Virus checker is the first thing you should be doing.
Did with Avast, nada.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-28 15:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Angierus said: »
Odin.Willster said: »
Unloaded all plugins. I restart my machine, all characters are at 29 fps. Over time they slowly dwindle down. They are down to 15 fps right now. Maybe something on my pc is doing this, I don't know. Big coincidence if both my pcs are doing this.

What kind of GPU are you using?

If nVidia are your power settings set to optimal performance or max performance? I had experienced an issue while set to optimal in the past, setting to max performance corrected the issue.
gtx 1060. I'll check that.
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-28 17:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

No dice :/
 Fenrir.Jumeya
Server: Fenrir
user: Jumeya
By Fenrir.Jumeya 2018-05-28 18:34:22
Link | Quote | Reply

If your device relies on Optimus technology to switch between the the GTX1060 and the integrated card, as far as I've been able too, you're ***out of luck.
By Jetackuu 2018-05-28 22:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jumeya said: »
If your device relies on Optimus technology to switch between the the GTX1060 and the integrated card, as far as I've been able too, you're ***out of luck.

There's ways around that Windows issue.

Also as for the OP: have you tried disabling avast? any other third party software running? Desktop or laptop? Multiple gpus? driver version? (check if there was a recent update, etc).
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-29 02:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Fenrir.Jumeya said: »

There's ways around that Windows issue.

Also as for the OP: have you tried disabling avast? any other third party software running? Desktop or laptop? Multiple gpus? driver version? (check if there was a recent update, etc).
I disabled a couple shields in avast, but not the whole thing. This is a desktop with a1060 in it. I always have four characters on and they all stay at 29 fps until recently. Updated gpu drivers, there was another update from windows I installed. ..same thing.
Was good for an hour or so, then it seemed something just throttled the performance for the game. Everything else on the computer still works quickly.
By Jetackuu 2018-05-29 06:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Then downgrade the drivers back to a known-good version. (As I haven't played on actual gpu drivers in years this is purely a hypothetical understanding), from what I understand nvidia quite often updates their drivers and breaks support for older directx in the release (as directx .dll files are packaged in your driver) and as well XI is ancient... Also I'd personally never let Windows update drivers, ever, disable that setting.
By Brynach 2018-05-29 07:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Read through this thread and try it out. The game is stuck in a DirectX 8 world, and that forces graphics cards to work a lot harder in the DirectX 11 world. This helps by converting DirectX 1-8 into DirectX 11.
Word of warning: read carefully and do exactly as the instructions say. Done correctly, you will end up with a better looking game running more smoothly on your computer which will more easily support running multiple characters.
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-29 14:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Did a full scan with avast, doing a launch scan too. Did registry clean/repair too. If this doesn't work going to revert windows to previous update. See if that's it.
I did the dx11 thing above and fps was low 20s with only one character on
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2018-05-29 14:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Running a GTX980 Windows 7 with driver 23.21.13.8813

3 characters at 29FPS
[+]
 Odin.Willster
By Odin.Willster 2018-05-29 18:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Commencal said: »
Running a GTX980 Windows 7 with driver 23.21.13.8813

3 characters at 29FPS
Ya, I always run 4 at the same fps until a few days ago. Fps just goes down after an hour. Doing a windows reinstall but my hopes are not high
 Asura.Cair
VIP
Server: Asura
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2018-05-29 18:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you using the live or development version of Windower?
By DaneBlood 2018-05-29 19:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/37945/ffxi-lag-and-you/
By Eboneezer 2018-05-31 23:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine is doing this as well, on both of my pcs. I don't multibox on the same pc, i just play two characters, each on their own pc. It started a few days ago where it just slows down to a crawl. Both pcs are doing it. I really feel like something changed in the last week or so that's causing it. I only use these pcs for ffxi. I never use web browsers, run any other programs...nothing. They've worked fine all this time until the last week.

It's a dead crawl when I first login now...so it doesn't even take that long to get to that point anymore.