Is FFXI Really That Hard Starting Out?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Is FFXI really that hard starting out?
Is FFXI really that hard starting out?
 Asura.Patriclis
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-06-01 09:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Donwu said: »
I came back last august after leaving at 95 cap during the aby era, and by the end of the year, I had finished Rhapsodies, Mandau to 119 from stage 3 (non ag, ag by march), solo building armageddon to 90, opening RUN and soloing with trusts to 99, and leveling a LOT of other jobs to 99. I didn't farm plutons, I farmed gil and bought everything. I did all that on Leviathan where there's 9 actual players and 285 DB at any given moment. To say you "cant get invites, so you're poor and gearless" is plain *** lazy.

Yeah but that's the mentality on Asura. Basically, anyone who's in the same state you are, and doesn't wanna do all that work solo... just moves to Asura. Then they QQ and call everyone an elitist when they won't carry their level 6 dragoon through master trials.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-06-01 09:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Threads like this are interesting.

I rather like the story and old content. I've been toying with leveling up a mule just to go thru the stories and try a different path to leveling up than I did before.

I find it sad that players want to skip the story so badly. Its one of my favorite aspects.

I understand if you've been thru the story and you are leveling another character to multibox and enhance your endgame play. However I feel you are missing a wonderful part of the game if you are trying to skip thru it.

I like the involved missions and quests.

I don't particularly care for the pointless time gaps and forced grind. (i.e. coalition assignments wait times)

I think some of the best designed content in FFXI is the content that is relevant to Advanced players and less experienced players both.
For example, one thing they did right in Abyssea is how the NM's which dropped upgrade items for Empyrean weapons, also finished quests/missions, provided valuable Key Items, upgrade items for armor, and equipment useful in its own right. It encouraged and rewarded cooperation and support from advanced players to less advanced players.

I'll have to look at that returning player guide again. its been awhile. I'm not sure where the best upgrade path is for gear beyond sparks. I feel there is a cap between sparks gear and Escha Zi'tah or reisenjima gear. Alluvion skirmish gear can fill that, but I don't feel that solo'ing yorcia alluvion skirmish with sub-skirmish gear is very profitable or practical.
Perhaps when Bayld Gear got upgraded it fills that gap. I'm not sure because I never used that gear.

when I came back in 2016, the first thin I wanted to do was finish my Mythic. I was thrilled that I could solo access the content to finish the grind. Any REM weapon is completely soloable. It just takes some time and dedication. those weapons are a big door opener for a returning player. Mythics are game changers for alot of jobs. other REM's can be also.
 Asura.Xenomorph
By Asura.Xenomorph 2018-06-01 10:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You can certainly chase your goals. At this point we have good resources (bg wiki, ffxiwiki, and ffxidb) to help us help ourselves. RME and most missions can be done solo. There are some great LS out there on Asura if you're interested in playing with others. All in all if you want to get to work now is a good time to start.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-06-01 10:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is a lot of people are selfish and lazy.
They refuse to read wiki's because they insist that "people need to help each other," but they fail to realize that the guides are written by other players specifically to help each other.
I've gone to Reisenjima with alliances where 12 people get 1-shotted on the first AOE. Then the 6 survivors kill the enemy and pass the drops, only to then watch as the 12 weakened players fight over the drops.
I've seen a BLM ask to leech cp. That's horrible. BLM is the job that's easiest to get cp parties with and cp parties with BLM are among the faster ones.
I've had people spam me with tells because I was going to Omen or Dyna with my group and they wanted me to TELL my group we were bringing them.
So many people (like the drg in the op) don't want to be part of a coordinated effort to get their stars, or their gear, or their clears. They just believe those rewards should be offered to them for free like a blue participation ribbon at a grade 1 soccer game.
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-06-01 10:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, when I came back to the game I started by farming sparks.

I set the following RoE:
-> Deal 500+ Damage
-> Vanquish Multiple Enemies I
-> Conflict: Abyssea - La Theine
-> Spoils (Flint Stone)
-> Spoils (Zinc Ore)
-> Spoils (Flame Geode)
-> Spoils (Snow Geode)
-> Spoils (Breeze Geode)
-> Spoils (Soil Geode)
-> Spoils (Thunder Geode)
-> Spoils (Aqua Geode)
-> Spoils (Light Geode)
-> Spoils (Shadow Geode)
-> Spoils (Ifritite)
-> Spoils (Shivite)
-> Spoils (Garudite)
-> Spoils (Titanite)
-> Spoils (Ramuite)
-> Spoils (Leviatite)
-> Spoils (Carbite)
-> Spoils (Fenrite)

Went out Abyssea - La Theine and trashed worms (Usually on thief in hopes of additional spoils) while watching youtube/netflix/whatever.

If I was lucky then I would get a gain-experience or Obtain seals on top of it.

It was pretty good money at the time honestly... I forget the exact number but it was pretty solid considering I was in 117 gear.

And then there's, of course, Dynamis that anyone can do and make some decent gil from.
 Asura.Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-06-01 10:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
They refuse to read wiki's because they insist that "people need to help each other," but they fail to realize that the guides are written by other players specifically to help each other.
I've gone to Reisenjima with alliances where 12 people get 1-shotted on the first AOE. Then the 6 survivors kill the enemy and pass the drops, only to then watch as the 12 weakened players fight over the drops.
I've seen a BLM ask to leech cp. That's horrible. BLM is the job that's easiest to get cp parties with and cp parties with BLM are among the faster ones.
I've had people spam me with tells because I was going to Omen or Dyna with my group and they wanted me to TELL my group we were bringing them.
So many people (like the drg in the op) don't want to be part of a coordinated effort to get their stars, or their gear, or their clears. They just believe those rewards should be offered to them for free like a blue participation ribbon at a grade 1 soccer game.

The thing that I find really funny with this is that there are a lot of people out there willing to help and give handouts and carries... but it's usually only once you've proven that you're already willing to do the work on your own. I can't count the number of times that I've been doing something and someone will offer to give me an item or help me out. Not because I asked or begged, but just because they saw me nearby and offered.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-06-01 10:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You're a rare specimen.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-06-01 10:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Patriclis said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »

The thing that I find really funny with this is that there are a lot of people out there willing to help and give handouts and carries... but it's usually only once you've proven that you're already willing to do the work on your own. I can't count the number of times that I've been doing something and someone will offer to give me an item or help me out. Not because I asked or begged, but just because they saw me nearby and offered.

I'm not surprised. Because I'll offer to help someone too if they look serious. But I'm tired of helping out people who complain all the time and just quit after a bit.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2018-06-01 11:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup I always have a newb project or two going, gotta raise up the next generation or you won't have anyone to play with when half your current buddies leave. Pay it forward, and all that.

But I absolutely vet my projects. I make sure they're willing to take the lead in their own progression, and have me help them fill in gaps and get them through some of the harder content while they're catching up. Those are the kind of people worth helping. People like the DRG Emmajean ran into aren't worth the time of day. They'll either learn through neglect that they need to change their attitude for the better, or they'll give up on the game. Either way the rest of us win.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-06-01 11:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aoryu said: »
i've run a new/returning ls for over a year now, and helped many along the way.

honestly most don't end up sticking around, either finding a newer game, new ls once they progress past newbie, or any number of other reasons.

however, despite many leaving, the overall attitude of new/returning folk has been very positive. can count on one hand the number of times i've run into a player as described by the op.
it's different if they join your ls. people will be nicer. but the same person who is nice and positive in your shell might be a real jerk in a pug with strangers. similar to how road rage works.
 Bismarck.Gippali
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2018-06-01 13:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is about Vize right?
[+]