Forum » FFXI » General » Is Asura a good place? Looking to transfer
Is Asura a good place? Looking to transfer
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-05-15 02:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny, I've been fighting Apex mobs the last couple nights and had no competition. There are other camps, even if they're less than ideal.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2018-05-15 04:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Funny, I've been fighting Apex mobs the last couple nights and had no competition. There are other camps, even if they're less than ideal.
It probably greatly depends on the hours you play. I seem to have bad luck.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2018-05-15 04:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
May I be the voice for the small servers- if you're a solid player who can learn quickly, uses either gearswap or ashitacast, and don't mind gearing up a job to help before your "favorite" job is endgame ready, a small server could be more rewarding than the Asura bandwagon. Us small servers are more in need a GOOD players over GEARED players- a productive small server shell can gear you up faster than a flood of PUGs on Asura.

Shells like the one I run with are always looking for dedicated people who are gonna stick around, show up on time, listen to advice, and play smart. The gear is the easiest thing to fix. You just might find a happier permanent home where you are truly helping a cause vs. a cog in a wheel.
That's actually interesting but honestly, from a kind of returning player point of view, it's very hard to find such thing.

There isn't really a place where we can see linkshells looking for members on this or that server (I don't even know who to contact to know if there is anything going on just on my server, so servers outside Asura are a mystery) and regarding tools, I don't really know what exists anymore (Windower seems dead though my version still seems to function, but I don't really know what's used nowadays).

Is there a returning player thread somewhere in regard to tools that are used nowadays and maybe certain groups on this or that server?
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-05-15 05:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
uses either gearswap or ashitacast
Trying to fully automate a job that you barely know how to play makes shitty players even shittier.
Looking at you, healbot WHMs.

Console is king.

from a kind of returning player point of view, it's very hard to find such thing.
I quit playing over ten years ago and reactivated with a friend about two and a half years ago. I had a 75 RNG and 5mil to live on.
Within the first five minutes of running around picking up home point crystals, we just happened to see a guy we used to run Dynamis with and waved at him.

Five minutes later: We were both in our server's best linkshell. Again. Our selling point?
We knew a handful of people and asked, "What jobs do you need?" Was it a case of right place, right time? Perhaps.
I can, however, tell you where none of this would've happened and we would've just quit playing after a week: Asura.

80% of my time played since I reactivated was spent running around solo with 50 pages tabbed up on BG/wikia for ***that I needed and could do myself.
The other 20% was ***getting done with our linkshell. The solo experience was every bit as enjoyable as the communal experience, and I made my way picking up the pieces I needed after everyone else got theirs. I've only just now reached a point where the jobs I want to play are on track in the ways I want them to be.
Trying to rush through this game's content as fast as possible just kills the overall experience.

You really want to know how hard it is to find groups and a linkshell on any server?
You open your server's homepage on this site, Google translate, and you bow to the Japanese when the group disbands.

(White Mage) (Do you need it?)

If you sit in Low Jeuno spamming shouts for a linkshell:
Everyone is going to hate you.

But if you see some dude making CP parties at the same time you're playing every day, and you join them on more than one occasion. Guess what?
I promise you that guy probably knows a guy who knows some people that have a linkshell that will take you in if you ask nicely.

Moral of the story:
[+]
By kishr 2018-05-15 06:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Make a mule and find out. /thread
 Asura.Smoky
user: Aubain
By Asura.Smoky 2018-05-15 07:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Simple answer: YES
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-05-15 07:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
May I be the voice for the small servers- if you're a solid player who can learn quickly, uses either gearswap or ashitacast, and don't mind gearing up a job to help before your "favorite" job is endgame ready, a small server could be more rewarding than the Asura bandwagon. Us small servers are more in need a GOOD players over GEARED players- a productive small server shell can gear you up faster than a flood of PUGs on Asura.

Shells like the one I run with are always looking for dedicated people who are gonna stick around, show up on time, listen to advice, and play smart. The gear is the easiest thing to fix. You just might find a happier permanent home where you are truly helping a cause vs. a cog in a wheel.

I don't see how this is anything specific to small servers. Do you think there aren't shells that do exactly that on Asura? Because you'd be dead wrong. The benefit to Asura is it has those exact same LS's but offers an active economy and the ability to do group content outside of prime time for the LS. I don't have to be there to carry the newbie through every single event. I just get them started and then they can progress without me just fine because it's not hard to find other people to do content with and get things done. That's the benefit of Asura, it actually feels like an MMO.
[+]
 Asura.Tonic
user: tonic316
By Asura.Tonic 2018-05-15 07:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
uses either gearswap or ashitacast
Trying to fully automate a job that you barely know how to play makes shitty players even shittier.
Looking at you, healbot WHMs.

Console is king.

from a kind of returning player point of view, it's very hard to find such thing.
I quit playing over ten years ago and reactivated with a friend about two and a half years ago. I had a 75 RNG and 5mil to live on.
Within the first five minutes of running around picking up home point crystals, we just happened to see a guy we used to run Dynamis with and waved at him.

Five minutes later: We were both in our server's best linkshell. Again. Our selling point?
We knew a handful of people and asked, "What jobs do you need?" Was it a case of right place, right time? Perhaps.
I can, however, tell you where none of this would've happened and we would've just quit playing after a week: Asura.

80% of my time played since I reactivated was spent running around solo with 50 pages tabbed up on BG/wikia for ***that I needed and could do myself.
The other 20% was ***getting done with our linkshell. The solo experience was every bit as enjoyable as the communal experience, and I made my way picking up the pieces I needed after everyone else got theirs. I've only just now reached a point where the jobs I want to play are on track in the ways I want them to be.
Trying to rush through this game's content as fast as possible just kills the overall experience.

You really want to know how hard it is to find groups and a linkshell on any server?
You open your server's homepage on this site, Google translate, and you bow to the Japanese when the group disbands.

(White Mage) (Do you need it?)

If you sit in Low Jeuno spamming shouts for a linkshell:
Everyone is going to hate you.

But if you see some dude making CP parties at the same time you're playing every day, and you join them on more than one occasion. Guess what?
I promise you that guy probably knows a guy who knows some people that have a linkshell that will take you in if you ask nicely.

Moral of the story:

Yikes
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-05-15 07:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The only possible cons of moving to Asura that I can think of are:

1) Know those times when people start using the /yell channel for general chat purpose? That's of course gonna happen more often on Asura. If you're annoyed by that kind of stuff, you've been warned!
2) More population is gonna mean, potentially, bigger queues for content and less open camps for CP. More competition on spawn points as well. Emphasis on "potentially", because really most of the time it's not really that big of an issue if you ask me.

For everything else I think there's only positive aspects in being in a server like Asura.
 Asura.Tonic
user: tonic316
By Asura.Tonic 2018-05-15 07:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

People who bot won't like Asura cause their camps are always taken
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-05-15 08:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Typing 100wpm with two fingers isn't hard, folks.
Take a class or something. Maybe avoid the Visual Communication degree, though.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2018-05-15 08:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a good place.... For me to poop on!
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-15 08:30:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I should make a thread listing reasons to not come to Asura just for "balance" purposes.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-05-15 08:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
Typing 100wpm with two fingers
Enjoy your carpal tunnel. Didn't realize two-finger typists still existed.
By Afania 2018-05-15 09:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
2) More population is gonna mean, potentially, bigger queues for content and less open camps for CP. More competition on spawn points as well. Emphasis on "potentially", because really most of the time it's not really that big of an issue if you ask me.

Congestion in ffxi is mostly just luck/schedule thing. If you have flexible schedule that can freely pick any time to play, then it probably won't affect you since you have the choice to avoid it.

If you are a "I can only play on Sat 9pm est but not any other day " player, fat chance is that you will run into congestion very often. That happened to be the time that jp Eu Na all log on.

There are also more congestion in first 2 weeks, but this month is an exception because CP campaign is active.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Server: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2018-05-15 09:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I know nothing about Asura, but the fact that people actually say there are shout trolls and shout groups for anything astounds me. I'm on l=Lakshmi and part of a dedicated ls that does stuff a bit slowly but still gets it done, and I play with people that I've known in-game since like '07, and there are no shout trolls or shitty shout groups or anything of the sort. The server is basically made for linkshells to get things done and keep to themselves for most content.

I would recommend a smaller server if you still know people playing, but I guess you wouldn't be asking this question if that was the case. Asura it is!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Kodaijin 2018-05-15 17:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is proof there are more trolls than not on every server. Most of these responses are just plain ignorant.

I came to Asura from Cerberus. It was an amazingly positive difference. Still is. Feels like the game is still young and alive because there is always something to do with a huge variety of people... the way the game was meant to be played... "MMO".

Regarding troll shouts... are the shouts of a couple of people enough to stay on dead server where there are no shouts at all?

Regarding long queues.... where are these long queues? Are you referring to the day of a new release? so you have to wait 5-10 min during 1 day of the month... big deal. get a drink and chat with the real people in your party. They are more interesting than trusts more likely than not.

competing for timed NMs... what timed NMs still have comp? I am actually sitting here trying to think of a timed NM that anyone would compete for. EMP weapon trials maybe? idk... its a weak complaint. No matter what server you are on, competition for any NMs or zone is much lighter than a decade ago.

If you want to play with a wide variety of people the way the game was meant to be played at literally any time of day then move to Asura. If you want to get intimately familiar with your trusts, stay where you are.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-05-15 17:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want more threads about if Asura is a good place to transfer too. I can't make up my mind yet.
[+]
 Asura.Ashleyz
user: Ashleyz
By Asura.Ashleyz 2018-05-15 17:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I completely agree with Kodaijin, the move to Asura was a positive experience for me coming from a dead server. I've met wonderful people and accomplished many things. If you are an active player and engage with your linkshell memebers, you will have a good time.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-05-15 18:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura players have a vested interest in keeping the 'move to Asura' mentality alive. When the first 'Asura or quit' bandwagons were coming out, asura only had a 30-40% numbers advantage over the other servers. Now it's 300% or higher. This only happened because of these *** threads existing for years now.

That doesn't mean it is or isn't better, but honestly SE should have shut off transfers to the server long ago to avoid this happening. Where there wasn't, or isn't a problem with the current population.. it gradually will become one as Asura continues to siphon off all of the small servers. This is why people are so opposed to the idea of Asura being the best.

That said, if you already have a group, Asura really has very little to offer. You have more competition in camps, higher prices on common items, longer queue times for events, and less time to get beads in DI. Good luck getting a good camp for Gain XP, which seems to be quite important for most players. For a multiboxer or someone with a steady shell, shouts offer little value and the negatives likely outweigh saving a couple mil on rarer items.

However, for most players who do not fit those criteria, Asura is going to get you the best results. Most of these arguments are shallow, and the negatives are more inconvenience than problem most of the time. Everything being touted as 'worse on asura' is only so because of the population being higher, and the same scaling applies to your own group forming and item locaating and everything else you might care about. If you don't have a steady group, and you're on a small server making no progress, ASURA IS BETTER. There's no rational argument otherwise.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-05-15 19:10:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Kodaijin said: »
just plain ignorant

I resemble this remark.

I tried to help some returners yesterday with the delve shark. Everything was going smooth until we get to him and someone said "there is the shark, should I pull him?"

He already pink by the time I typed "wait" and hit enter. Oh crap.

I was at about 30% hp 5% mp and I think I was the fullest...

we died like noobs with sharky at 40% and half the pt home pointed.

no reraise mebbe.

I blame myself because I should have explained that the trash mobs are so stupid easy that they lull you into a false sense of invulnerability... but sharky still takes some planning or at least some hp/mp.

so avoid shiva server, or at least that dopey noob nikolce who leads everyone to their death leroy jenkins style and then bails on you to get to Costco before they close.

the end
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Server: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2018-05-15 21:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

If you like to buy everything, then yes.....period. My old/long time friend got me to sub again after 4 years away...now he's gone and I'm on this server. Ragnarok was so much better, but ive made some new friends and 30$ isnt worth the start over.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-05-15 22:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kodaijin said: »
This thread is proof there are more trolls than not on every server. Most of these responses are just plain ignorant.

I came to Asura from Cerberus. It was an amazingly positive difference. Still is. Feels like the game is still young and alive because there is always something to do with a huge variety of people... the way the game was meant to be played... "MMO".

Regarding troll shouts... are the shouts of a couple of people enough to stay on dead server where there are no shouts at all?

Regarding long queues.... where are these long queues? Are you referring to the day of a new release? so you have to wait 5-10 min during 1 day of the month... big deal. get a drink and chat with the real people in your party. They are more interesting than trusts more likely than not.

competing for timed NMs... what timed NMs still have comp? I am actually sitting here trying to think of a timed NM that anyone would compete for. EMP weapon trials maybe? idk... its a weak complaint. No matter what server you are on, competition for any NMs or zone is much lighter than a decade ago.

If you want to play with a wide variety of people the way the game was meant to be played at literally any time of day then move to Asura. If you want to get intimately familiar with your trusts, stay where you are.

It's funny watching the "please don't go to Asura, come to my server" people try to convince people to go to their dieing server so that it stays alive a little longer. Proves they know people would be better off on Asura, otherwise they would be encouraging them to stay away from their tiny server so they could continue fighting all content with their automated six bot team.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-05-15 22:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
It's funny watching the "please don't go to Asura, come to my server" people try to convince people to go to their dieing server so that it stays alive a little longer. Proves they know people would be better off on Asura, otherwise they would be encouraging them to stay away from their tiny server so they could continue fighting all content with their automated six bot team.
It's funny watching the "ASURA OR QUIT" spokesperson make an entire post making fun of other servers' players about something that never even happened.

Seriously, comb through the thread. Not a single post asking anyone to move anywhere besides Asura. God forbid a few people point out they've been successful on smaller servers.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Zart
user: zart
By Asura.Zart 2018-05-15 22:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Aiiiight said: »
Is Asura a good place? Looking to transfer. I just returned to Fenrir, and it appears to be dead. Seems it is more of a end game only server now. I was an avid player back in the day, quitting while doing rhapsodies due to other commitments and such. I hear this server still has a range of players, I as such am a few years behind now. I can only summon four trusts, so am pretty far behind.
All pre SoA is complete, with a few empys and a Nirvana. Would love to get that pimped right out!
Have a great day!

well.. the problem with Asura is that people are judgemental and HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

ambuscade is a huge part of the game right now in my opinion, so a lot of my opinion here is about ambuscade.

generally I have a casual social LS on asura (twisted fate) where i try to recruit players that want to progress and teach them ambuscade.

with ambuscade vol2 normal is really entry level content that anyone can try. However; the player base generally isn't satisfied doing vol2 normals anymore, (vol1 easy+ got a triple point&triple HP boost)
and I havent really done ambuscade this month so i cant say, most low ilvl novice players should start on vol2 normal to VD for instance and find people to play with.

now the problem with asura is that players will mock you even if your doing vol2 VD, even if you want to for you own reasons Myself, being someone that did pick up groups to get 250 BRD and THF cards on asura. Player quality can be kinda erratic, some people don't care and some people have elitist big head mentality.

The same thing applies for doing ambuscade vol 1. Sometimes I shout for vol1 normal ambuscade looking for players veteran ect.. and I get replies (when i shout for vol1 normal I look for players that are either mastered or they have a mythic/relic/empyrean/aeonic (rema)) and, being a BRD THF WHM that is mastered (and i have twashtar, ghorn, daurdabula and good gears on whm)

Players will send me a reply and be judgemental about what I'm asking for on vol1 normal content, but really your leveling is not finished at level 99 anymore. You need to get mastered to progress the game, (and it basically increases your level past 99)

I dont think thats asking too much for vol1 normal, vol1 easy however can probably be done once you get a few gear sets from ambuscade (fully upgraded) and some ambuscade capes, but again optimum gear sets is best, (as well as being mastered it adds a ton to your accuracy ect..).

so my advice to you if you come to Asura. Realize that your going to get some people sending you a tell sometimes to tell you how to run your party and, its ok to think that they are idiots. (i made a lol?)

My other advice to you, would be to work on getting all the vagary clears Linkshell together, I think its only a matter of time til they make the 119empyrean gear reforged up to +3, and the +1 empyreans gears will be good in niches to help you run ambuscade and collect ambuscade gear for instance. The ambuscade gear quality is a lot better and more easy to obtain then JSE armor and ambuscade also has rings and multiple purpose capes to help your accuracy and other stats.

good luck.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7