What Is "Elitism"?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What is "Elitism"?
What is "Elitism"?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-04-09 17:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

As we know, there was recently a thread opened to comment on the state of elitism currency experienced in the game. However, the term "elitism" is still ambiguous in meaning. Is it in reference to "REMA Only" shouts? Is it peraps not letting returning players into content based on their gear? Is it commenting on those who's gear is far superior to others? Or is it simply labeled as someone who sees themselves as better than others? I'm unsure how we're defining the term. So, what is the ffxi define of "Elitism"?
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-04-09 17:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

There are essentially two definitions of "elitism".

The "true definition" - The goal and drive to be "good" at what you're doing, generally in a video gaming sense.

The slang/derogatory/negative definition - When *** judge others for not being as "good" at something, generally in a video gaming sense.

An example of the first would be the Elitist Jerks guild on WoW. For a period of time (and maybe still now, I dunno) they would seek to accomplish everything they could in the game but also supplied the number crunching to show the community what is and is not best. In FFXI sense, these are often the same people as who write the guides for each job forum.

An example of the latter is like the guy the other "elitist" thread is about, judging people for perceived skill in this game based off of REMA weapons. When in the world of year+ of SMN burn there is little "skill" involved in achieving anything REMA, it's just proof that you're able to grind in a 15+ year old game. So giving people ***because they can or cannot grind is just stupid.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-04-09 17:44:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what elitism is but this thread is elite.
[+]
 Asura.Darian
By Asura.Darian 2018-04-09 17:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I am alpha and omega. I am elitism.
By fonewear 2018-04-09 17:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Darian said: »
I am alpha and omega. I am elitism.

I'm sure bro so elite you have to tell everyone how elite you are.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-09 17:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
As we know, there was recently a thread opened to comment on the state of elitism currency experienced in the game. However, the term "elitism" is still ambiguous in meaning. Is it in reference to "REMA Only" shouts? Is it peraps not letting returning players into content based on their gear? Is it commenting on those who's gear is far superior to others? Or is it simply labeled as someone who sees themselves as better than others? I'm unsure how we're defining the term. So, what is the ffxi define of "Elitism"?
Y
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-04-09 17:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

You can strive to be an elite player without being an "elitist ***". It can be viewed several ways.

When you're constantly trying to level up your game and be a better player, thats good. If you make others around you better, that's good. Having a certain expectation of others isn't elitist. It's just good damn advice. And players should take it without being overly offended by it.

If you constantly view others as inferior to you, criticizing others without giving them a reasonable goal to attain, helping them to correct their wrong viewpoint, or labelling a blanket "standard" of the job/game in a way that is totally unreasonable, or in a very condescending way, people view you as an elitist ***.

The people who scream "you have to have a rema, idris, nirvana, epeo, etc" aren't specifically Elitist. They're idiots. Its good to have those things, but when people demand they are a criteria for completing something that can be done otherwise (like CP party asking for rema....), you're an idiot.

In fact, the best players are ones who can make many variety of strategies work, based on what they have. Certainly they choose the path of least resistance, but they don't throw their hands up in defeat when they don't have what they "want". They make it work. That's being elite without being an "elitist".
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2018-04-09 17:54:56
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

This entire thread needs Jesus.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-04-09 18:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI Elitism - Applying a higher standard of gear requirement than is practical, so as to justify one's own time investment and stroke one's own ego.

See: Requiring RMEA to do sub-145 content.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2018-04-09 18:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

• Example A) That elitist wouldnt let me join in something i may not actually be geared enough to do in what they consider to be a timely manner and doesnt want to waste orders of magnitude more time carrying me when they could just get it done in a far shorter time. How dare they not let me leech when i could be doing something else to get up to speed without being a walking disaster for everyone else. There are also tons of better people they could choose instead of me so i can't fathom why they wouldn't choose to be with me.

• Example B) That guy who demands a relic weapon when non-relic options are actually stronger.

• Example C) The dude who demands that you have maxed out gear on an entry level or below event that you actually need to do in order to get your gear to a basic level of competence like some group doing ambuscade volume 2 while you're on a mage or support job.

Listed in order of occurence.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-04-09 18:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

TheHardestGodDamnEyeRoll.Jpeg
By fonewear 2018-04-09 18:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I normally check for Mythic weapon to even do CP.

No mythic weapon I don't CP.
[+]
 Odin.Kealoha
user: Kealohaa
By Odin.Kealoha 2018-04-09 19:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Now, I'm just thinking you crave attention Senaki. Lol.
By hobo 2018-04-09 20:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kealoha said: »

Thinking? I thought this was an established fact

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By clearlyamule 2018-04-09 20:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Elitism is making several pages of macros for boost
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-04-09 20:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
Elitism is making several pages of macros for boost
Lol
Booooooooooooooooossssssst!

YouTube Video Placeholder

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Afania 2018-04-09 21:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo:

Elite = individual who min max. That includes obtaining Rema and hq, build 50 gear sets, reads all the posts and guides about optimal playstyle, use GS. The opposite of these type of player would be casuals, those who don't care about performance.

Elitists = individual who apply their elite standard on people around them. So instead of just being elite themselves, they require people around them to do the same. They would ask others to build Rema, farm hq, gitgud with playstyle etc.

IMO that's practice of elitism, whether the intention or method is good or not. And that includes shouting for Rema, rejecting people to join for performance reasons, or tell someone to gitgud, even in a nice and polite way.

Elitist jackass = elitists who makes other people feel like ***when they practice elitism. So they would call others "shitty player" or "garbage" if they don't meet the good player standard.

The difference between elite and elitist, is whether they extend their standard on people around them or not.

The difference between elitist and elitist jackass, is the method. Elitist jackass doesn't care about your feelings.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-04-09 22:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say that elistist don't actually have to be elite themselves. There are plenty of people who apply that standard to others but don't know ***about the game though they might think they do
[+]
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Server: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-04-09 22:45:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Again?
[+]
By Afania 2018-04-09 23:34:23
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »
I'd say that elistist don't actually have to be elite themselves. There are plenty of people who apply that standard to others but don't know ***about the game though they might think they do

Real elites carry people.
[+]
 Odin.Spoiled
user: Spoiled
By Odin.Spoiled 2018-04-09 23:58:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kealoha said: »
It's really bad that I knew this was a Senaki thread before I even opened it.

They should just make him a Moderator of chatterbox.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2018-04-10 00:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I’ve always felt elites not only excel at being the best in all aspects of the game, but excel at helping those around them being the best.

I feel a lot of people use the term elite in the mmo world derogatory. Rightfully so, especially with how many people pride themselves on being an elitist ***. I’ve been one of them. However, when I really thought about it. An elitist wouldn’t really be this *** that the term gets used with so much. So I’ve expanded my view on it to include excelling at making other players better.
[+]
By Afania 2018-04-10 02:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Dravidian said: »
I’ve always felt elites not only excel at being the best in all aspects of the game, but excel at helping those around them being the best.

I feel a lot of people use the term elite in the mmo world derogatory. Rightfully so, especially with how many people pride themselves on being an elitist ***. I’ve been one of them. However, when I really thought about it. An elitist wouldn’t really be this *** that the term gets used with so much. So I’ve expanded my view on it to include excelling at making other players better.

My pov about being real elite is similar to yours. that real elites are so good (in terms of skill, knowledge and gears) that they can do hard content with not-elite players and not struggle one bit, because they already get to the point that they have the capacity to carry people.

If you can do T4 18/18 with 80% of members in alliance being inexperienced casual player, nor they need to lv "meta jobs" and still able to kill those NM effortlessly however they want, then you have the right to proudly say "I am elite". It's group like this that has my highest respect.

I imagine real elites are like James Bond, they get things done and no sweat.

I agree that having a high standard on the others doesnt make one elite. It's just worshipper of elitism.
[+]
 Asura.Patriclis
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2018-04-10 02:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

When people call themselves elitist, it's like calling yourself a perfectionist or 'OCD'. It's a term people apply to themselves to try to convince others that they go above and beyond 'the norm' to play 'properly' or whatever. However, similar to all other self-claims, if you have to call yourself an elitist... you're not actually all that elite.

The people who call out others for being elitist are usually just crying because they couldn't get into a group they wanted or whatever. It's never like "Oh that tim, he's such an elitist, i love partying with him" its basically like calling someone a pretentious, pompous, MMORPG snob. These people fail to realize of course, that nobody owes them an invite, and if they really want a group they should just form their own party, with blackjack, and hookers.
user: swordwiz
By Asura.Lordoftheseven 2018-04-10 03:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The real question you all should be asking is what is there to be elite at anymore ........ this game is beyond easy mode status at this point. Everyone is doing the same content smn burn or not so what does it even matter other than giving you a reason to be proud of your sad thing you call a life ..... just saying !!!
[+]
By geigei 2018-04-10 03:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have the need to tell others you're elite, chances are you're not.
[+]
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2018-04-10 03:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

geigei said: »
If you have the need to tell others you're elite, chances are you're not.
If you need to post on a forum for a game you haven't played in years, chances are you should stop *** posting but that hasn't stopped you either has it?
By Pantafernando 2018-04-10 04:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »

Its the opposite.

Elitism is a label that people use to frame the other part and either play victim or receive sympathy.

Just think that none need a scientific reason to call the other elitist aside having some kind of divergence. Like none need to read a dictionary to call someone a fool, an idiot, a jerk. Elitism isnt more than a name calling. Most likely the one using elitism word is the one to be blamed.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5