Enough with the Elitism
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18
 Asura.Murisia
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Murisia
By Asura.Murisia 2018-04-05 04:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to remind everyone that when you started this game you were just like we are, and like everyone else. Everyone starts at the bottom. There are no exceptions, especially in FFXI. It doesn't matter if you buy your account if you buy your REMA's, your gil, your clears or anything else that you may need.

You still have to learn how to play, still need to figure out macros, job style, gear, ja's, traits, combat styles, strategies and anything else that the game throws at us.

This post isn't directed at anyone in particular, but more so at all of us including MYSELF, that needs to be reminded at times where we come from.

Recently, a friend of mine was insulted on this forum, being told he failed at the game for only have a few REMA's, the number of REMA's are not the goal of the game or what makes a player great. It's the attitude one brings to the table, the inspiration they put into others and above all the knowledge they have of the jobs they play. I know several players that have all that with 0 REMA, and i'd play with them any day over those that have 10+ REMA. So if REMA makes you the great player that you are and gives you the right to **** on people then you need to remember where you come from, because you weren't always there, and maybe you need to go back there for a reminder.

<3 always Muri :P
[+]
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-04-05 04:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The best part about people who insult others based on number of REMA's is now I know who is bad at the game so I can ignore them.
[+]
 Asura.Murisia
By Asura.Murisia 2018-04-05 04:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I have several REMA's and I try not to insult anyone based off anything but maybe attitude. I've never insulted you that i'm aware of O.o at least I hope not, my friend actually speaks highly of you and I am appreciative of your newbie gear night, does wonders for me :) i've done many things like that :)
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2018-04-05 04:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I was talking about whoever you're essentially calling out who insulted your friend based on number of REMA. Number of REMA means you can farm, doesn't mean you can play. I know plenty of meh players that have impressive REMA collections.

When aeonics FIRST came out, having an aeonic would be a viable bragging term. Now we have had months of SMN zerg for ez aeonics and lots of mercs for it, so even aeonics mean nothing about having skill.
[+]
 Asura.Murisia
By Asura.Murisia 2018-04-05 04:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with you on that, i've seen many players buying their way into Aeonics when those that could actually use them are struggling to get them because they won't pay the merc's lol.

And yes, many players are meh with extensive collections, I know a few myself, I'm probably one of them :P lol not really, I only have a couple and i'm still meh lol
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-04-05 08:31:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My pixels are more pixelated than your pixels. Truly the epitome of pathetic. I thought we were done this in 2014.
[+]
 Asura.Murisia
By Asura.Murisia 2018-04-05 08:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
My pixels are more pixelated than your pixels. Truly the epitome of pathetic. I thought we were done this in 2014.

You would think so. But people don't grow up it seems. Rather sad that my children seem more mature than a lot of the players on the game especially on Asura. Most of them hide behind the defence of "you don't pay for my character so you can't tell me how to act" when basic civility would adequate. No it's more like they have a mask and can act like immature children all over again so they do so.
 Asura.Taberif
user: Taberif
By Asura.Taberif 2018-04-05 08:44:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I know elitism has bad connotations, but a lot of people misinterpret being expected to do your job with elitism hate speech... I find a lot of the time people who scream elitism do so as a defense mechanism to shift blame away from their poor play or sheer laziness in preperation. Why does it matter on a game? Because you're still wasting my time or in worst case 17peoples time.

Some of us just don't want to play with those who waste our time, and there's a lot of people willing to waste your time by being under prepared.
[+]
By Quizzy 2018-04-05 08:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you prepared to get your *** kicked on an online forum?

;-)
By fonewear 2018-04-05 08:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm such an elitist I didn't bother to read the OP.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-04-05 08:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taberif said: »
I know elitism has bad connotations, but a lot of people misinterpret being expected to do your job with elitism hate speech... I find a lot of the time people scream who elitism do so as a defense mechanism to shift blame away from their poor play or sheer laziness in preperation. Why does it matter on a game? Because you're still wasting my time or in worst case 17peoples time.

Some of us just don't want to play with those who waste our time, and there's a lot of people willing to waste your time by being under prepared.

It was a waste of time reading your post too !
[+]
 Asura.Murisia
By Asura.Murisia 2018-04-05 08:51:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Taberif said: »
I know elitism has bad connotations, but a lot of people misinterpret being expected to do your job with elitism hate speech... I find a lot of the time people scream who elitism do so as a defense mechanism to shift blame away from their poor play or sheer laziness in preperation. Why does it matter on a game? Because you're still wasting my time or in worst case 17peoples time.

You do raise a valid point and one I am aware of. I don't dismiss the need for certain criteria for certain content but let's face it when people shout for a nirvana smn for normal ambu that is a bit much lol.

Yes. We don't want our time wasted and we don't want to waste others. I do endgame myself I'm not new to the field lol. I myself won't take a sparks geared whm for omen lol
 Asura.Taberif
user: Taberif
By Asura.Taberif 2018-04-05 08:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Not saying I disagree with your OP at all, just playing devils advocate
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-04-05 08:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'm the furthest you can find from elitism, I've been always against that kind of approach.

At the same time though I think there has to be a balance in between the two extremes.
If on one end we can see the super annoying elitists, on the other end there's people who I can't really simply put in the "learning to play" group.
More in the "I can't be bothered to learn to play and expect you to get stuff done for me while I have fun and make your job harder because lulz this is so funz"

I'm always willing and actually pleased to share what little knowledge I have with anybody in demand, I love being able to see people grow in the game and cheer them up on that road we all went through ourselves.
But when people behave like I said above or completely lack respect towards their party members because they think it's "their" game and everybody else comes after, well I dunno, that kind of people get on my nerves probably just as much as the super elitists, even if for very different reasons.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-04-05 09:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
I think I'm the furthest you can find from elitism, I've been always against that kind of approach.

At the same time though I think there has to be a balance in between the two extremes.
If on one end we can see the super annoying elitists, on the other end there's people who I can't really simply put in the "learning to play" group.
More in the "I can't be bothered to learn to play and expect you to get stuff done for me while I have fun and make your job harder because lulz this is so funz"

I'm always willing and actually pleased to share what little knowledge I have with anybody in demand, I love being able to see people grow in the game and cheer them up on that road we all went through ourselves.
But when people behave like I said above or completely lack respect towards their party members because they think it's "their" game and everybody else comes after, well I dunno, that kind of people get on my nerves probably just as much as the super elitists, even if for very different reasons.

Pretty please with sugar on top share what little knowledge you have with me !
By geigei 2018-04-05 09:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I try to troll them "elitist" but forum police is stalking me.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-04-05 09:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Murisia said: »
but let's face it when people shout for a nirvana smn for normal ambu that is a bit much lol.
What makes it even funnier is that for some fights Nirvana isn't even the best Staff for SMN :P

But then again I can "understand" why that happens.
You try to find ways to "measure" the skill of a player.
You can't really put them through a detailed test before inviting them and checking all their sets and inventory takes too much.
Looking for a single "hard to obtain" item is a biased way to give you a generic indication of the "worth" of a certain player.
It's mostly just an illusion, especially these days, but I'm not defending this thing, just saying I understand why it happens.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-04-05 09:03:38
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Pretty please with sugar on top share what little knowledge you have with me !
Pss pssss, secret secret, I like ***.
Nobody knows it though so don't share it plz!
Shhh!
By fonewear 2018-04-05 09:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My secret is I only invite people that are ***...so Asura is the place to be.
[+]
By geigei 2018-04-05 09:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Those rema shouts i think happens only on asura? never seen such thing on rag.
By Quizzy 2018-04-05 09:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Worst part about the server.

It reminds me of what I used to hear about Alaskan fishing boats:

The boats with the best paint job are usually the worst boats.

Nine times out of ten the people doing alphabet shouts probably don't know what they are doing in the first place.
 Asura.Murisia
By Asura.Murisia 2018-04-05 09:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't say I disagree with any of you. Well except maybe fone lol. But most of the time these people are so blind, dumb, ignorant, helpless or lost that they just call on the mighty elite shouts. Mind you, I'm more than geared enough to join these I just refuse to out of principle. It pisses me off though lol to see so many people calling for so high demands when the content has been cleared with far less.

I cleared every helm with MB strat long before smn got a boost yet people act like blm doesn't exist lol. What about bst? Seen 2 of them take down kirin/kouryu faster than 3 smn's

My point is, people need to realize there is more than 1 way and more than just gear. A solid team of friends beats a well geared pig any day in my book.
By geigei 2018-04-05 09:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

A solid team of friends
This 1000 times.
By fonewear 2018-04-05 09:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

This is mostly an Asura problem because the other servers have about 200 people on them. All *** flock to the same place. This is what you get.

I refuse to do anything semi difficult thing with shout people. 9/10 times it is a waste of time.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2018-04-05 09:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

yet people act like blm doesn't exist lol.
I know what you're talking about and I share your feelings.
If we want to nitpick though many fights became quite a hassle to handle with BLM setup after the nerf to GEO bubbles.
And that goes even today despite the power creep we received with the new gear.

Arguably even before that some fights have always been quite complex for an "average" group.
SMN strat is much less demanding and wether you win or fail it's always very fast.
With the "regular" strats you might fall into those situations where you wipe with no possible recover at low HP% or you time out at 3% and so on.
Those can be very frustrating and even more they "waste" >30 minutes of your time.
A fail on a SMN strat is what, 5 minutes wasted time at worst?
 Asura.Verbannt
user: Akton
By Asura.Verbannt 2018-04-05 09:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I can say this with out being too blunt, No one in a pug shout needs to shame anyone for not having a REMA, that being said having built my mule a brd from scratch I built a REMA brd in 40 days.

Not every one uses the excuse that all rema players are elitist, however many do. And it is equally as tiresome to be 'dismissed' just because I have rema's and my mule does too.

I have met many people with rema's that make mistakes that they shouldn't have, after playing for many years but it happens, as does people refusing to Gear, Cp (used to be meriting), and then have the skill to play a job that is needed.

And some advice coming from rema owners might be worth listening to, they have things you don't(or have made more of them maybe they are better at time management), sure a rema is not the only thing it takes to make a good job, but if you ignore good advice on the grounds you think they are just being elitist, then your arrogance and ineptitude is what will hold you back.

They pay for their account, so they should choose how to play. Don't begrudge someone wanting to be efficient.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2018-04-05 09:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to remind everyone that...a friend of mine was insulted on this forum...Enough with the Elitism

There are seven and a half billion *** running around on this godforsaken planet and you only have the slimmest of chances to control one of them, yourself. Which is no easy task.

Now you can read this post and get mad. You can read this post and laugh. You can ignore it. I can not control your reaction to the things I type or say. I can certainly insult you and your friend in any number of ways but I can't control how you process it. I can even say only nice and kind things and you can still get hurt anyways because you take things I typed the wrong way.

I can't stop you from getting upset about something you read on here about your friend any more than I can stop everyone else from being a douchebag.

But I'm going to try anyways....the you getting upset part.

Did you think about how your post might make me feel before you typed it? Of course not. You shared your feelings because they were important to you. But I could have gotten mad reading it and I could say something mean like "buck up buttercup the world is rough. Maybe the internet isn't the safest space for you snowflake" All of these sorts of things right?

And that could make you even more upset than you were before you posted. Or maybe I could say something supportive like "yeah you go girl those gil buying trolls are nothing but fools" etc. or whatever and you could feel validated.

Inadvertently perhaps, what you did was the exact same thing the person you are calling out did. You are trying to illicit support for your opinions and feelings. Unfortunately perhaps, when we share our feelings or opinions with others we open ourselves up to their criticism.

Celebrities are a good example of this phenomenon. They allow us to build up their ego only for us to relish in destroying it later on. If you or they allow others opinions to control you, then you end up like britney spears with half of your hair shaved off all strung out on hard drugs etc....

You can't control what everyone else thinks. It's just not possible. But you can try to control your own reaction to it. You can attempt to control how it effects you. I typically laugh and say something that I think is funny. That's how I deal with everyone around me, with humor.

You can certainly curl up in a ball and cry yourself to sleep every night. That's your choice. I can't control it. All that I can do is try to explain it to you. So that perhaps you will understand it better.

We can try to empathize with your friend's attacker. His mom probably had to do a lot of things, that children are typically not proud of, to make that money that he took from her to buy a useless glow stick on a dying fifteen year old video game...which will one day be long gone and forgotten, And maybe one day he will feel bad he wasted so much time and energy. Perhaps he is slowly realizing that now which is why he is lashing out. that poor thing. it's sad really. See?

But I can't stop him from being a jerk any more than I can stop you from being upset about it. So now I'm frustrated by my inability to make you understand what has always seemed to me to be an easy concept to grasp. I HOPE YOU"RE HAPPY!

That's the joke. It's not a particularly good joke but Laughter is my shield, my armor and sometimes my weapon. It's fun and I sincerely hope you will give it a try.

Solitude
BY ELLA WHEELER WILCOX
Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
Weep, and you weep alone;
For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
But has trouble enough of its own.
Sing, and the hills will answer;
Sigh, it is lost on the air;
The echoes bound to a joyful sound,
But shrink from voicing care.

Rejoice, and men will seek you;
Grieve, and they turn and go;
They want full measure of all your pleasure,
But they do not need your woe.
Be glad, and your friends are many;
Be sad, and you lose them all,—
There are none to decline your nectared wine,
But alone you must drink life’s gall.

Feast, and your halls are crowded;
Fast, and the world goes by.
Succeed and give, and it helps you live,
But no man can help you die.
There is room in the halls of pleasure
For a large and lordly train,
But one by one we must all file on
Through the narrow aisles of pain.
[+]
By Quizzy 2018-04-05 09:25:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

Yeah, I'm not reading any of that.

Go away.

Asura.Verbannt said: »

Read the thread...
[+]
By fonewear 2018-04-05 09:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to remind everyone that...a friend of mine was insulted on this forum...Enough with the Elitism

There are seven and a half billion *** running around on this godforsaken planet and you only have the slimmest of chances to control one of them, yourself. Which is no easy task.

Now you can read this post and get mad. You can read this post and laugh. You can ignore it. I can not control your reaction to the things I type or say. I can certainly insult you and your friend in any number of ways but I can't control how you process it. I can even say only nice and kind things and you can still get hurt anyways because you take things I typed the wrong way.

I can't stop you from getting upset about something you read on here about your friend any more than I can stop everyone else from being a douchebag.

But I'm going to try anyways....the you getting upset part.

Did you think about how your post might make me feel before you typed it? Of course not. You shared your feelings because they were important to you. But I could have gotten mad reading it and I could say something mean like "buck up buttercup the world is rough. Maybe the internet isn't the safest space for you snowflake" All of these sorts of things right?

And that could make you even more upset than you were before you posted. Or maybe I could say something supportive like "yeah you go girl those gil buying trolls are nothing but fools" etc. or whatever and you could feel validated.

Inadvertently perhaps, what you did was the exact same thing the person you are calling out did. You are trying to illicit support for your opinions and feelings. Unfortunately perhaps, when we share our feelings or opinions with others we open ourselves up to their criticism.

Celebrities are a good example of this phenomenon. They allow us to build up their ego only for us to relish in destroying it later on. If you or they allow others opinions to control you, then you end up like britney spears with half of your hair shaved off all strung out on hard drugs etc....

You can't control what everyone else thinks. It's just not possible. But you can try to control your own reaction to it. You can attempt to control how it effects you. I typically laugh and say something that I think is funny. That's how I deal with everyone around me, with humor.

You can certainly curl up in a ball and cry yourself to sleep every night. That's your choice. I can't control it. All that I can do is try to explain it to you. So that perhaps you will understand it better.

We can try to empathize with your friend's attacker. His mom probably had to do a lot of things, that children are typically not proud of, to make that money that he took from her to buy a useless glow stick on a dying fifteen year old video game...which will one day be long gone and forgotten, And maybe one day he will feel bad he wasted so much time and energy. Perhaps he is slowly realizing that now which is why he is lashing out. that poor thing. it's sad really. See?

But I can't stop him from being a jerk any more than I can stop you from being upset about it. So now I'm frustrated by my inability to make you understand what has always seemed to me to be an easy concept to grasp. I HOPE YOU"RE HAPPY!

That's the joke. It's not a particularly good joke but Laughter is my shield, my armor and sometimes my weapon. It's fun and I sincerely hope you will give it a try.

Solitude
BY ELLA WHEELER WILCOX
Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
Weep, and you weep alone;
For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,
But has trouble enough of its own.
Sing, and the hills will answer;
Sigh, it is lost on the air;
The echoes bound to a joyful sound,
But shrink from voicing care.

Rejoice, and men will seek you;
Grieve, and they turn and go;
They want full measure of all your pleasure,
But they do not need your woe.
Be glad, and your friends are many;
Be sad, and you lose them all,—
There are none to decline your nectared wine,
But alone you must drink life’s gall.

Feast, and your halls are crowded;
Fast, and the world goes by.
Succeed and give, and it helps you live,
But no man can help you die.
There is room in the halls of pleasure
For a large and lordly train,
But one by one we must all file on
Through the narrow aisles of pain.

When I read the post I didn't get mad I was laughing my *** off.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-04-05 09:29:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quizzy said: »

Yeah, I'm not reading any of that.

Go away.

Asura.Verbannt said: »

Read the thread...

I'm too elitist to read.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18