Updating FFXIAH list of items
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-22 13:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
The attitude here is disgusting. Do you know what it costs to hire a capable developer?

Maybe he's not interested in Felgarr, that's fine. The polite thing would be to say 'Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass.' rather than ignoring someone offering you something valuable for free.

If your shitter was broken and your plumber friend offered to fix it because they were sick of having to pop a squat in your back yard, I bet you'd jump right on that.
Gonna stop you there because from the past posts about this subject they’ve told him no. No means no but yet it seems he keeps trying and messaging so you’re saying that’s okay to keep asking? I get your point hit you’re late in the game this subject has been going on for far too long. No means no not keep messaging me please because one day I’ll say yes. Some men forget no means no a lot though.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-22 13:20:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The person who should be making the decision didn't say no, they outright ignored him. Rooks is the only one who has any modicum of authority over design decisions, the rest of the mod staff has minimal experience at best and is a liability at worst.

He might be a bit more persistant than is prudent, but he's offering to work in his chosen profession for free. I don't see you making free subway sandwiches for everyone here.
[+]
 Asura.Dagget
Server: Asura
By Asura.Dagget 2018-03-22 13:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see you making free subway sandwiches for everyone here.

LMAO!
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-22 13:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The person who should be making the decision didn't say no, they outright ignored him. Rooks is the only one who has any modicum of authority over design decisions, the rest of the mod staff has minimal experience at best and is a liability at worst.

He might be a bit more persistant than is prudent, but he's offering to work in his chosen profession for free. I don't see you making free subway sandwiches for everyone here.
Ok let’s try to make this more realistic. You like a girl you want to be close to her anyway you can. She adds you to FB which you assume they want to get to know but maybe they’re just being nice. You constantly message her nonstop but get no response. Intelligence would tell you they’re aren’t interested to talk. So the way your logic is on this subject she’s wrong not him because she didn’t respond. Yet hes somehow too dumb to realize the obvious? It’s called take a hint again I get what you’re pointing out but if someone can’t take a hint after 20 plus times that means sorry no unless they have 0 human reaction as if they are an alien from mars even normal IQ individuals would discover this hint.
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-22 13:29:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't see you making free subway sandwiches for everyone here.
Hell no I won’t give people space food eww.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-22 13:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

When you add a girl to facebook, the impression is that you're trying to get sex. If she doesn't want to have sex, no need to respond, because she owes you nothing.

If you're offering someone free work, the least they could do is to politely say no thanks. It's extremely rude to downright ignore an offer of help.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2018-03-22 13:36:17
Link | Quote | Reply

When you add a girl to facebook, the impression is that you're trying to get sex. If she doesn't want to have sex, no need to respond, because she owes you nothing.

If you're offering someone free work, the least they could do is to politely say no thanks. It's extremely rude to downright ignore an offer of help.
Not everyone has to be polite let alone give respect if they desire not to. No means no and no response after 10 times means no. If a job doesn’t call you back do you call them till they say *** off? No you don’t well if you have any brains. You’re right it can seem rude with no response but welcome the real world things happen no whiny safe zones.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2018-03-22 13:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

See Fel.. There are others in line too..
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-22 13:47:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Drakenv said: »
Not everyone has to be polite let alone give respect if they desire not to. No means no and no response after 10 times means no.
No response after 10 messages on arbitrary social media sites could mean they don't pay attention or get spammed unless you know the person or are contacting them through a professional channel.

Quote:
If a job doesn’t call you back do you call them till they say *** off? No you don’t well if you have any brains.
Again, you're asking for something when you apply to a job. You do something for them, they pay you money. He wasn't going to benefit from helping, aside from having a functional website to use.

Quote:
You’re right it can seem rude with no response but welcome the real world things happen no whiny safe zones.
This is true. Nobody is saying otherwise. But, everyone automatically siding with the admin for being rude is ridiculous. The bottom line is that help was offered unconditionally and he didn't receive so much as a 'no thanks' over 6 months while the work remained unfinished. That's not only insulting to him, it's insulting to everyone who wants the site functional.

If Scragg doesn't feel Felgarr is up to the task or has his own reasons to keep him out, that's his choice. I strongly suspect Fel has a resume to back up the position he's asking to fill. The lack of response equates to 'I don't give a ***about ffxiah but I also don't want anyone else to fix it', which is a shame since so many of us call it a community.
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2018-03-22 13:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I acknowledge the merit and the kind offer..

There is a screening process for everything including even free work. It requires a unique level of trust to enter their domain which I know you know already..

Do you think a sophisticated organization would just pick up the random Joe to work for free?

Even for all of this, there first has to be an opening for the position even if they require a helping hand. The same goes for a free position.

If there are no open positions, you can't keep yelling at a corporation or company that they are rude for not responding or opening a position.

For all we know they may of already created a general posting that universally communicated that all positions are filled and they are not looking for help.. That includes free help..

Drakenv is right when a company doesn't respond it's the same way of saying no.

Not every company has to give reason of why they won't hire you.. Even for free..
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-03-22 13:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
When you add a girl to facebook, the impression is that you're trying to get sex.

I would like to think that's not the case for most people, lol
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-22 13:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIAH isn't a company in any traditional sense, and likely doesn't even have a LLC. It's a hobby project that's barely maintained.

Nobody suggested just handing Fel(or me, or anyone else) access to run wild. I'm sure he fully expected to have his resume and work history examined. The problem is that while the site suffers, the admin is outright ignoring requests to help from people qualified to do so.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2018-03-22 13:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIAH isn't a company in any traditional sense, and likely doesn't even have a LLC. It's a hobby project that's barely maintained.

Nobody suggested just handing Fel(or me, or anyone else) access to run wild. I'm sure he fully expected to have his resume and work history examined. The problem is that while the site suffers, the admin is outright ignoring requests to help from people qualified to do so.

I agree with you that their communication is lacking in many areas..

Although they aren't an official "LLC" company.. The way the primary Administrator Scragg handles his "group" seems to look like a hiring process is involved with some kind of screening process..

This is how he hired Rooks.. You can't just assume he can do anything in a certain fashion just because his group is not a traditional LLC.. It's completely his choice.. He has his way of screening people.. We may not like it, but it exists..
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-22 14:01:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »

Although they aren't an official "LLC" company.. The way the primary Administrator Scragg handles his "group" seems to look like a hiring process is involved with some kind of screening process..

This is how he hired Rooks.. You can't just assume he can do anything in a certain fashion. It's completely his choice.. He has his way of screening people.. We may not like it, but it exists..
You're straw manning. He should have a screening process, and I would be shocked if he didn't. However, the site has been behind on maintenance and basic features have been consistantly broken for years now. This isn't a reflection on Rooks or Scragg, they are busy and if they don't have time that's completely understandable.

However, given it's well documented how many problems exist, not even applying the screening process to people offering free work is insulting to the community as a whole. In the end it's his site and he can do that, but it's perfectly reasonable for users to be upset he's turning away free help while things are remaining broken for as long as they are.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2018-03-22 14:18:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »

This is how he hired Rooks.. You can't just assume he can do anything in a certain fashion. It's completely his choice.. He has his way of screening people.. We may not like it, but it exists..
You're straw manning. He should have a screening process, and I would be shocked if he didn't. However, the site has been behind on maintenance and basic features have been consistantly broken for years now. This isn't a reflection on Rooks or Scragg, they are busy and if they don't have time that's completely understandable.

However, given it's well documented how many problems exist, not even applying the screening process to people offering free work is insulting to the community as a whole. In the end it's his site and he can do that, but it's perfectly reasonable for users to be upset he's turning away free help while things are remaining broken for as long as they are.

Valid point. I agree. This post requires response from Scragg and Rooks.

I think he has a screening process for Free Work.. He has obviously upset many people like yourself for not responding.

Continue to get mad bro.. I'm going to leave this to the admins to respond to you and Felgy's fury for not getting replied to..

I feel sorry for you guys..
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-22 14:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not mad at anyone, I'm just stating my view of this. The guy's offering to take time out of his day to fix problems for everyone and getting ignored by admins and insulted by posters. Didn't sit right with me.

I never said anywhere he shouldn't be screened or that he was the ideal candidate to solve all our problems, but the problems are there and it's not an unreasonable amount of work to do a light screen on a few of the more promising people offering to fix them. Timeframe was never mentioned either, though it's been well over a year at this point that people have been trying to offer help.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2018-03-22 14:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not mad at anyone, I'm just stating my view of this. The guy's offering to take time out of his day to fix problems for everyone and getting ignored by admins and insulted by posters. Didn't sit right with me.

I never said anywhere he shouldn't be screened or that he was the ideal candidate to solve all our problems, but the problems are there and it's not an unreasonable amount of work to do a light screen on a few of the more promising people offering to fix them. Timeframe was never mentioned either, though it's been well over a year at this point that people have been trying to offer help.

Can you highlight all of the "problems" again for the admins.

Does Rooks even know that these problems exist? Let's get his input on them.

I want to know if Rooks already addressed them and if not, does he need free help to get to them?

I want to know what he thinks about every "problem" you think exists in this site.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-03-22 14:29:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Current:
-New items can't be pushed without manual action from Scragg, who is often unable to do so for days/weeks after an update.
-Screenshots haven't been working since January 21.
-Missions are not yet logged through guildwork, while FFXI LS community has been unavailable since May 9, 2016.

Recent:
Character registration was recently down for an extended period.
Point calculations break every few weeks.
Several background services seem to be unreliable and require a manual restart every so often once users notice.

All you have to do is look through Rooks' post history, every third post is mentioning problems he hasn't had time to find that never get mentioned again. This isn't his fault, and I hate to even mention his name because I know he's doing what he's doing for free as well. However, I feel like the only reason you're posting here is some sort of vendetta against Fel.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2018-03-22 14:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

No, nothing against Fel, He used to be in my own LS before I took a break. I'm just defending Rooks here. He does good work. I hope to get to the bottom of this and state the obvious.

I also want to see what is limiting Rooks to addressing these issues and if there really is a need for free help..

Poor Fel has been frustrated for a long time as well as yourself..

Enough is enough.. #TimesUpScragg #MeTooFel
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-03-22 14:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I foolish for believing a large part of these issues come from relying on a second group (in this case, Guildwork) which cannot be relied on any more? We all know what Guildwork WAS, and what it is NOW. When ffxiah.com is dependent on that source rather than their own scraper getting all the info we've become accustomed to, there never will be a permanent fix, just a lot of duct tape and staples.

I know this doesn't affect things like screenshots, but it is the accrual source of many threads we see appear here. And if we still want the same QoL cookies that this site provides, I feel like core changes will need to be made, not just a "fix"after every update, when possible.

All that being said, I've always seen this site as a luxury, so what info I CAN get is a bonus, rather than treat it as an expected service that comes with my subscription to the game.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2018-03-22 15:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Stan does great things with Guildwork!
Don't forget to buy premium
By Hlifhildr 2018-03-22 15:15:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Alfylicious said: »