New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Win10 Fall update
Win10 Fall update
By Jetackuu 2017-10-21 06:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mrkillface said: »
Windows 10 actually has a feature that allows you to roll back updates to the previous build. I recommend people try that first. It worked for me, but it only allows you to stay on the previous build for 35 days, so apparently that's how long I have before I have to find another work around.

I have a ton of disks, computers and a windows intune account, so I guess I can spin up a windows 7 installation just for FFXI if all else fails.

Most people don't have that option though, so I really hope this gets fixed before everyone has to migrate their stuff to vanilla or ashita... or just plain quits.

Since you're that savy, just do what I do and run XI in a windows 7 VM. You could even go as far as to block everything else but XI on it, lock the resolution in the VM (with VMWare workstation), and forward a controller to it. I have used it for years to sandbox different instances, it gets a pain to maintain that many things individually, and depending on the storage medium you keep them on sometimes booting has performance issues (I started migrating mine to ssd).
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-21 08:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

crimsondragon said: »
Ashita is always up when Windower is down. Windower is still better though. lol

Only thing keeping me on Windower is gearswap.
[+]
 Asura.Cair
VIP
user: Minjo
By Asura.Cair 2017-10-21 08:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue has been identified and will hopefully be resolved soon.
[+]
By afheal 2017-10-21 08:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cair said: »

Good deal! The funny thing is I thought not playing ffxi for a few days would be easy, but then I started to feel like spongebob when he thought he didn't need water lol.
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-10-21 11:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Since you're that savy, just do what I do and run XI in a windows 7 VM. You could even go as far as to block everything else but XI on it, lock the resolution in the VM (with VMWare workstation), and forward a controller to it. I have used it for years to sandbox different instances, it gets a pain to maintain that many things individually, and depending on the storage medium you keep them on sometimes booting has performance issues (I started migrating mine to ssd).

It's been a few years since I tried FFXI in a VM, but it wasn't a great experience compared to running it normally back then. VMs (and my PCs) have obviously improved over the years, but I'm still skeptic. If anything, I would just run a dual boot. I never use anything besides netflix/itunes while playing ffxi anyways. I always shut ffxi down if I'm running anything important. so rebooting into win 10 when I need to really work is probably less inconvenient than trying to make a VW run lag free.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2017-10-21 11:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
crimsondragon said: »
Ashita is always up when Windower is down. Windower is still better though. lol

Only thing keeping me on Windower is gearswap.

Same here Dude. I have trouble with ashitacast, I have a war file written and works great but took me a bit. I would hate to redo BLU my god that would suck....
 Shiva.Samdamahn
Server: Shiva
user: XxYashaxX
By Shiva.Samdamahn 2017-10-21 13:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Do any of you kids even have a CS / CE deg/
 Shiva.Samdamahn
user: XxYashaxX
By Shiva.Samdamahn 2017-10-21 13:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides tails which is the best VM? I do not wish to use a usb to install one.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-21 13:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

can someone ban this dude already holy ***
[+]
By afheal 2017-10-21 14:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Samdamahn said: »
Do any of you kids even have a CS / CE deg/

Lol I will bite. I will graduate with a BS in IT software here shortly. Do I know how to install and run a VM? Yes. Do I know how to code in multiple languages? Yes. Do I know how to rollback an install? Yes. The problem is I don't have the TIME to do that with how my schedule is currently. I can wait it out until the devs fix the issue over at windower. To add, I recently reinstalled windows due to another issue and the process set me back a few days that I currently don't have. Do you have a cs/ce deg?
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-21 14:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

afheal said: »
I will graduate with a BS in IT software here shortly.

I recently reinstalled windows due to another issue and the process set me back a few days

does not compute
[+]
By afheal 2017-10-21 14:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

What doesn't? I reinstalled windows due to an issue with the firewall not setting properly. I could of fixed the reg keys but said f it. After I did the reinstall, windows decided to push the update during my auto-install (I like to automate stuff (drivers, apps, etc.) and I tried to roll it back but it jacked up some settings so I just did a restore and said f it.

-I have a bunch of dev apps for different programs/apps im working on. The files I had backed up take a while to move over thus the day reference.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-21 14:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

don't see how a windows install&update takes anyone competent several days, if you slipstream your drivers and updates it should be under 3 hours with less than 10 minutes of active work.. installing and updating xi is another couple hours with less than 10 minutes of active work.. everything else is just a matter of having proper backups and organization
[+]
By afheal 2017-10-21 14:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
don't see how a windows install&update takes anyone competent several days, if you slipstream your drivers and updates it should be under 3 hours with less than 10 minutes of active work.. installing and updating xi is another couple hours with less than 10 minutes of active work.. everything else is just a matter of having proper backups and organization

I added the reason for the long install... Plus when I say "day" I don't mean 24hrs., I mean it took most of my day to get it ready. Three hours = a day for me due to my current schedule.
By Jetackuu 2017-10-21 16:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mrkillface said: »
Jetackuu said: »

It's been a few years since I tried FFXI in a VM, but it wasn't a great experience compared to running it normally back then. VMs (and my PCs) have obviously improved over the years, but I'm still skeptic. If anything, I would just run a dual boot. I never use anything besides netflix/itunes while playing ffxi anyways. I always shut ffxi down if I'm running anything important. so rebooting into win 10 when I need to really work is probably less inconvenient than trying to make a VW run lag free.

I mean it all depends on the settings one uses of course, but XI runs decently well without really much/any modifications on my setup, and it's a few years old. The next build I do I may get hardware that supports forwarding video cards to a VM so I could use it directly, but even without it I still run at 1080P with a pretty steady fps, I haven't monitored it long term though, and I imagine for real fps nerds it may not suffice.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
does not compute
^ true dat, hell you should be able to slipstream drivers and updates with DISM in no time, takes longer to copy the .wim back to a usb stick.
By afheal 2017-10-21 17:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I see a lot of you either a) don't have kids, have a 10+ hr. demanding job and go to school or B) have a lot of time on your hands. Answer that then let me know...
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-21 17:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

the thing you're missing is that it only takes a couple minutes to start a streamlined install and let it run, you can do anything you want while it's running

if you're sitting there watching the install and triggering updates manually the entire time, you are not qualified to do IT (it's fine for the average user, but if you're going to brag about your credentials and complain about what should be nothing to you in the same post...)

deploying operating systems is a pretty basic and highly useful skill in almost all settings, and i would expect a competent IT person to have images prepared for their home machine and any popular configurations at their place of employment
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-21 17:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok your being extremely facetious. Even IT pros won't have a prepackaged autobuild of Windows at their home. The effort of maintaining it far outweighs the benefit it provides. I don't know of any home situation that requires constant deployments of clients.

Thats like expecting everyone to have an internal DNS server and a MTA.

Rebuilding a Windows install from scratch to full operation without a system backup does take a day.
[+]
By afheal 2017-10-21 17:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok your being extremely facetious. Even IT pros won't have a prepackaged autobuild of Windows at their home. The effort of maintaining it far outweighs the benefit it provides. I don't know of any home situation that requires constant deployments of clients.

Thats like expecting everyone to have an internal DNS server and a MTA.

Rebuilding a Windows install from scratch to full operation without a system backup does take a day.

Thanks saevel, you get it.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-21 17:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

without a system backup
This is the key point, but it doesn't really matter. Apologies for sidetracking.
By Jetackuu 2017-10-21 18:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

What's wrong with having an updated system image and your own dns server?
By afheal 2017-10-21 18:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the derail as well.
 Shiva.Malthar
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-10-21 20:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cair said: »

Good deal! The funny thing is I thought not playing ffxi for a few days would be easy, but then I started to feel like spongebob when he thought he didn't need water lol.

Yay Cair!
 Asura.Cair
VIP
By Asura.Cair 2017-10-22 02:50:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello~

We pushed a fix that has addressed the issue (at least for those who have tried thus far). Please post here or create an issue on our GitHub if you're still unable to open POL with Windower.

Thanks for your patience, etc
[+]
 Carbuncle.Tace
Server: Carbuncle
user: tace
By Carbuncle.Tace 2017-10-22 03:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk if it is related or not but after the update i am only able to boot up one instance of windower 11 when i try and open a 2nd dual box i.e. my friends geo it just auto closes windower startup menu.

Edit: it was working fine like 8 hrs ago before i logged off for dinner.
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2017-10-22 04:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also having the same problem can only open one
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2017-10-22 04:21:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It is related and we have narrowed that down, should not be long until it's fixed.
 Asura.Cair
VIP
By Asura.Cair 2017-10-22 05:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Should be resolved now
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-10-22 05:30:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Arc, Sweetcakes, someone in my ls is having the same issue with the logging in second account but he's on windows8 (I know right8....wtf?). In case it helps solve the problem <3