What Weapon To Make?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » What weapon to make?
What weapon to make?
By Evilwyzeguy 2017-08-31 23:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't played in a very long time and when I quit the relic gun was the weapon to have at the time because of the pulling aggro issues for the AA fights.
Going by today's standards what one is the most preferred in groups? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-08-31 23:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranger is in a great place right now. As an owner of multiple RNG RMEA weapons, I'll give you a brief rundown of what I like about each, and what I use them for.

*warning* I'm much more aggressive, sometimes to a fault, than most rangers out there. Oh well. This job functions quite well when weakened^^

1. Fomalhaut- My main weapon of choice for any general purpose fight. Incredible damage on the gun, highest damage on the accompanying ammunition. Last Stand is our bread and butter these days, and scales with TP, and the Foma's TP bonus only feeds the beast. In addition, its a great weapon for Trueflight, meaning you're covered for both physical and magical weaponskills.

2. Gastraphetes- My favorite weapon. This thing is a beast when afterglowed- boosted damage to Trueflight, AM3 giving ODT on regular shots, and the most complete ammunition in the game- Quelling Bolts. The Gastra itself has Barrage accuracy trait on it, and the bolts have "Barrage +1" to boot. Its purely a weapon for when you're using Trueflight....I'd rank it 3rd for Last Stand.

3. Annihilator-3 things I love about my Anni....first, a STRONG Darkness skillchain option over Wildfire. Second, the aftermath WILL proc on Barrage, as opposed to the mythic, which will not. And lastly, the wonderful hate mechanics of Coronach, as well as the additional "emnity -25" on the aftermath(not to mention a 10% ratk boost with the AM). Its not going to win any parses against equally geared Fomalhaut RNGs, but they might live longer in a drawn-out fight.

4. Fail-Not- these days I only use this weapon to get the Chrono Arrows from it. Its a great bow, but bows just are lacking compared to marksmanship for the most part.

5. Gandiva- my newest addition, and I'm still getting used to using it versus a more straightforward weapon like the Foma. But it is absolutely incredible if you put the effort into it. The ODT on the aftermath is so damn potent, and Jishnu's Radiance definitely packs a better punch with the +50 DEX on the bow. But I don't use the Artemis Arrows with it- just Chrono Arrows and it makes a BIG difference.

---Now for the two I don't have--

6. Yoichi- its great attribute is the ranged accuracy, something we just don't need as much of these days. Its underpowered compared to other bow options. I never reccomend doing this RMEA.

7. Armageddon- a GREAT all around weapon, that gives you the flexibility of both physical and magical weaponskills, possesses +50AGI which is just godly for a RNG, and packs the ODT aftermath the same as the Gandiva. Its not going to be the physical weaponskill beast that Foma is, or the magical monster that Gastra is, but its a great compromise and also have some uniqueness to the TP phase. Plus, it can pull double duty for a COR. Again though, it benefits from stronger ammo (Like Chrono bullets from the Fomalhaut), but if you can get the ammo, many times you'd be better off just going Foma over Arma.

So wrapping up- If you CAN get aeonics, go Fomalhaut. If you can't, Annihilator or Armageddon are going to be great all around options. Then, once the bug has bitten, start getting specific and build up that gun rack!
[+]
By Evilwyzeguy 2017-08-31 23:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for the mass details of each it helps out a lot. I'm planning on RNG being my main, I did have Gandiva to 85 on my old account and it was a beast in terms of pure damage but for longer fights it was known to pull aggro off and on."love the ws"

I'm stuck in the missions to unlock aeonics because of a fame issues but I'll build myself for Fomalhaut then.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-08-31 23:58:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Evilwyzeguy said: »
Thank you for the mass details of each it helps out a lot. I'm planning on RNG being my main, I did have Gandiva to 85 on my old account and it was a beast in terms of pure damage but for longer fights it was known to pull aggro off and on."love the ws"

I'm stuck in the missions to unlock aeonics because of a fame issues but I'll build myself for Fomalhaut then.

Look hard and long into what it takes for Aeonics. If you're with a shell consistently doing cycles, great. If not, you're going to either need to train people up or merc probably 6-10 battles, depending on skill levels. Its worth it, but not a solo venture like the other RMEAs.
By Evilwyzeguy 2017-09-01 00:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, going by that then I might just go for the Annihilator with the thoughts of getting Fomalhaut later on then.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2017-09-01 03:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
You can do Trueflight with a gun? It wasn't limited to crossbow?
Yes you can. It is a Marksmanship WS, so you can do it with any gun once unlocked.

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Flannelman
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flannelman 2017-09-03 10:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leaden Salute is COR only, COR cant use crossbow
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2017-09-03 10:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If corsair theoretically could use crossbows, then sure.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-09-03 11:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes words are important. The Word is "marksmanship weaponskill", which categorizes both crossbows and guns. You can use leaden on both crossbows and gun, the only limitation being if there is actually a crossbow that corsair IS able to equip. As long as the main job has access to the weaponskill and the weapon is marksmanship, wildfire, last stand, trueflight can be used with either crossbow or gun.
[+]
 Siren.Flannelman
By Siren.Flannelman 2017-09-03 11:41:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that, but it doesnt matter since theres no way to use it.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-09-03 12:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

These last few posts illustrate what I see as a nomenclature issue, and god knows there's tons of them in FFXI. Some are the fault of the game designers, but many are the fault of the players' own habits.

We as Rangers get in the habit of saying "Gun or Bow Ranger". We should say "Marksmanship or Archery". This tradition began of course with the introduction of Relic Weapons, and was only pushed further into the lexicon with the original release of the Gastraphetes...which at time of release was a very underwhelming weapon.

Here we have a situation where someone wanting to make their Ranger better was honestly unaware that Marksmanship was the full category of weapon group, not just Gun, and it could have seriously hampered their contribution to events, as well as their enjoyment of the job. Let's all do our part to keep communication in this multicontinent, multilingual game as relatively straightforward as we can, for our own benefit.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-09-03 13:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Well said Cele.

I still remember using a crossbow before I had aeonic gun. The one from t4 Reisenjima (wochowsen). I had told a leader of an omen kei group I was going to use trueflight and he questioned what weapon I'd be using. Amazing how oblivious people are to crossbows and guns still being the same category of marksmanship.