Forum » Windower » Support » Windower won't start at all
Windower won't start at all
 Bismarck.Karios
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Karios
By Bismarck.Karios 2017-04-06 20:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This might just be an easy problem, but it's beyond me, and searching both forums hasn't come up with anything, so I figured I'd ask here.

Just got a new laptop and attempting to get back into ffxi on it. Fresh installs of the game and windower and I'm unable to even start windower. It's not the white box issue, nor crashing at POL as seems to be the most common issues, mine will simply not load at all (crashes on the opening screen trying to update). Here's a copy/paste of the crash log from program files, something about not being able to read a file as a zip?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
4/6/2017 6:21:00 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ionic.Zip.ZipException: Could not read C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\updates\temp\3a92c50e-79d9-472d-8456-7b1eccad93d3 as a zip file ---> Ionic.Zip.ZipException: Cannot read that as a ZipFile ---> Ionic.Zip.BadReadException: Could not read block - no data! (position 0x00000000)
at Ionic.Zip.SharedUtilities._ReadFourBytes(Stream s, String message)
at Ionic.Zip.ZipFile.ReadIntoInstance(ZipFile zf)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Ionic.Zip.ZipFile.ReadIntoInstance(ZipFile zf)
at Ionic.Zip.ZipFile._InitInstance(String zipFileName, TextWriter statusMessageWriter)
at Ionic.Zip.ZipFile..ctor(String fileName)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Ionic.Zip.ZipFile..ctor(String fileName)
at #=qLpkVB1CGzRPMrP$f9QWGqpJaIjQGe8BVG0zG9nlfpC0dr9l6BO0MlNAECVllWMUS.#=qbVcvel8s_GfYNuaNLT6Y8A==(#=qx24zpJDwDB2K$ccvulMnUAtqZtLL2_POy9O_ieP3rM0= #=qesQ7VZod4bj9I4wbI5_pfQ==, String #=qxVLWGx1RefFvW4Wowk$fXw==, String #=qPu0eYZ1UrZrw4Zy6fzmIzw==, String #=q0t38DsbfsX$B9JU8sFf7cQ==)
at #=qLpkVB1CGzRPMrP$f9QWGqpJaIjQGe8BVG0zG9nlfpC0dr9l6BO0MlNAECVllWMUS.#=q9hPyUWnAfbgTxvae8HX$7Q==()
at #=qwrZ0sKWfVuSrbsrEe$sq2ikYRakTupw24tqRYOrFtO4=.#=qnQCMKMqRLmsGND5_yA3M5Q==()
at #=qAlk$Mw_tywKjs9rd7cyoVByKGVe3vaaXeS_LGtl1hBE=.#=qfyJ2oWactrEI0jMMW5DrEA==(#=qmhNvAyztrFon0QQMItVoEw== #=q$_uA1omHXJgXxHzgfPGREA==)
at #=qmhNvAyztrFon0QQMItVoEw==.#=qav9FVComJWu2k_c7i_yB0A==()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2017-04-07 09:02:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish I had some input but I am having the exact same issue now. Game worked just fine yesterday until I crashed. When I tried to reopen windower, I kept getting file corrupted messages. So, I reinstalled windower and now am getting what you are getting. On the launch, it always crashes at Lua Core Extraction. Any input would be great, thanks
 Asura.Wormfeeder
Server: Asura
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2017-04-07 09:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you enabled direct play?
Also open vanilla ffxi and run a check file.
 Bismarck.Karios
By Bismarck.Karios 2017-04-07 10:57:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I ended up getting it to work by copy/pasting the windower4 folder from another computer (old machine, but was enough to load windower for the updated files). Ffxi will run now, but frequently crashes for no apparent reason, and fps is terrible (averages around 12fps). Vanilla ffxi runs perfectly though, so I'm starting to think it's a windows 10 compatibility issue with windower4, which seems to have a ton of issues.

I'm sure some PC literate person could fix it easily, but I'm just going to cry uncle and put windows 7 on my gaming laptop.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2017-04-07 11:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people have issues with Win 10/Windower 4. I just use Ashita because I couldn't get Windower to run, and it has almost everything windower has anyway.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-04-07 11:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I did some server cleanup yesterday that might have caused this problem (may have moved an essential .zip). I moved most of the stuff back now, so perhaps your windows 10 computer would work.
 Bismarck.Karios
By Bismarck.Karios 2017-04-07 11:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
I did some server cleanup yesterday that might have caused this problem (may have moved an essential .zip). I moved most of the stuff back now, so perhaps your windows 10 computer would work.

I'll try it as soon as I get home, thank you! :-)
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2017-04-07 13:52:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So I cleaned up some programs on my computer and now I'm able to log onto POL. I did an ffxi file check to be safe and said no issues were found. Now my problem is when ffxi goes to initiate, it crashes. I have directplay enabled and am trying to play with other setting but no avail yet
 Bismarck.Karios
By Bismarck.Karios 2017-04-07 16:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Works perfectly now, after an uninstall/reinstall and hasn't crashed yet (only about an hour in game). Only issue now is the terrible fps numbers, averaging 14-16 fps whenever anything is happening (loading new zone/PCs, casting a spell, WS, engaging/fighting).

At least I'm playing! Thanks again
By Jetackuu 2017-04-09 01:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Neojuggernaut said: »
So I cleaned up some programs on my computer and now I'm able to log onto POL. I did an ffxi file check to be safe and said no issues were found. Now my problem is when ffxi goes to initiate, it crashes. I have directplay enabled and am trying to play with other setting but no avail yet

Sounds like you got that annoying bug, do a system restore point to before you had issues. Well that is if it's crashing when launching the game.
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
user: Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2017-04-09 10:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

heard people are having problems with Windower, and Windows 10 CREATOR edition, did u get the update?
By Yandaime 2017-04-11 04:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

My apologies if this post isn't 100% related to topic but I figure it best to ask here than create an entirely new thread...

I'm looking to replace my current PC with a newer, sexier one but everything is stock-loaded with Windows 10 now. A little over a year ago, my friend Presidente on Valefore made the switch and NOTHING worked. I'm pretty sure that all Windows 10 issues have likely been long since solved but I still wanted to be safe and ask first.

Tldr;

*Is Windower 4 compatible with Windows 10?

*Are there any problems to be aware of with Windows 10 that are normally non-issues with Windows 7/8?

*Will I be better off hitting Amazon for a Windows 7 disc?

Thank you for your time
user: voiceless
By Asura.Swaggernaught 2017-04-11 07:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Reddwarf said: »
heard people are having problems with Windower, and Windows 10 CREATOR edition, did u get the update?

ashita all the way
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-04-11 07:25:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Iryoku did approximately a minor version update worth of work yesterday (Windower 4.2 -> 4.3) and backported v5's hook to v4. It is not live yet and I have found two problems with it, but I would be unsurprised to see it go live for everyone later today. If you think you can live with the limitations, the link is below. There is actually a sizeable chance it will fix the sporadic Windows 8~10 problems people have had.

1) For some reason, //list, //pluginlist, and //lua list all cause a crash. This is so reliable that it should be easy to debug.
2) Windower 4.3 breaks alt tab completely. You get no preview and alt tabbing does nothing. This is going to be a harder one to fix, probably.

If you can play with those problems, here is a zip with Windower v4.3 -live in it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx2kkkiq7rn7a6x/Windower.zip?dl=0

You need to replace your current Windower and Hook with the zipped versions.

Please let us know if you find anything else!
[+]
By Yandaime 2017-04-11 07:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So Windows 10 is not recommended?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-04-11 08:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be fine after 24 hours and in general I'd encourage people to use the most up-to-date OS that they can. However, SE does have a disclaimer on their system requirements page saying that some Windows 10 updates might break FFXI.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html?pageID=win
By Yandaime 2017-04-11 09:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be fine after 24 hours and in general I'd encourage people to use the most up-to-date OS that they can. However, SE does have a disclaimer on their system requirements page saying that some Windows 10 updates might break FFXI.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html?pageID=win

Ok then, I'll update my ancient PC and make sure it's fully updated before install. Thanks, Byrth. As long as my stuff works, I'm happy
 Asura.Kurganprime
user: Kurgan
By Asura.Kurganprime 2017-04-12 07:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I would defer updates to prevent Windows 10 from downloading and installing Creators Update automatically until Windower has been updated.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-want-to-avoid-any-nasty-creators-update-surprises-heres-how-to-delay-upgrading/
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-04-12 18:52:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Just as an update (since I haven't seen one), I was unable to get POL to open through Windower, I downloaded 4.3 from the link provided and now it loads fine.
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-04-12 19:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried update and get a runtime error with Pol.exe
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-04-12 19:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ever get the feeling we're the digital era version of bitter clingers?
 Odin.Slore
Server: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2017-04-12 19:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

microsoft visual C++ runtime library

Runtime error!
Program: D:\playonline\squarenix\playonlineviewer\pol.exe

this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2017-04-12 19:19:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh God you weren't kidding about alt-tab, this is far worse than I thought it would be! Alt-tab only seems to work inside FFXI
By Jetackuu 2017-04-13 18:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Iryoku did approximately a minor version update worth of work yesterday (Windower 4.2 -> 4.3) and backported v5's hook to v4. It is not live yet and I have found two problems with it, but I would be unsurprised to see it go live for everyone later today. If you think you can live with the limitations, the link is below. There is actually a sizeable chance it will fix the sporadic Windows 8~10 problems people have had.

1) For some reason, //list, //pluginlist, and //lua list all cause a crash. This is so reliable that it should be easy to debug.
2) Windower 4.3 breaks alt tab completely. You get no preview and alt tabbing does nothing. This is going to be a harder one to fix, probably.

If you can play with those problems, here is a zip with Windower v4.3 -live in it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx2kkkiq7rn7a6x/Windower.zip?dl=0

You need to replace your current Windower and Hook with the zipped versions.

Please let us know if you find anything else!

Are you going to continue supporting Windows 7 for it's lifecycle?
By Jetackuu 2017-04-13 18:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yandaime said: »
My apologies if this post isn't 100% related to topic but I figure it best to ask here than create an entirely new thread...

I'm looking to replace my current PC with a newer, sexier one but everything is stock-loaded with Windows 10 now. A little over a year ago, my friend Presidente on Valefore made the switch and NOTHING worked. I'm pretty sure that all Windows 10 issues have likely been long since solved but I still wanted to be safe and ask first.

Tldr;

*Is Windower 4 compatible with Windows 10?

*Are there any problems to be aware of with Windows 10 that are normally non-issues with Windows 7/8?

*Will I be better off hitting Amazon for a Windows 7 disc?

Thank you for your time

If you want to install windows 7 get a board with a 6th gen intel CPU and avoid a NVMe ssd (unless you're really good) then otherwise you'll be fine. 7th gen icore is unsupported for win7 by intel/M$.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-04-13 19:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

We are a little closer to a live release.

Windower v4.2's hooking uses a very old x86 library known as madchook. For legal reasons, we haven't been able to update madchook since the creator took it private but did have permission from him to use the old version. In order to get around this, Iryoku wrote a new x86 hooking library for Windower v5 (a work in progress).

As it happens, the Creators Update for Windows 10 (roll-out began yesterday) breaks the old hooking library. However, through collaboration with users who downloaded the Creators Update early, we discovered that Windower v5's hooking library had no problems with the Creators Update.

In the last three days, Iryoku heroically backported v5's hooking library to v4 and adjusted everything for it (bumping the version to 4.3). Two nights ago we got it to build and Arcon has been bug squashing for the last day.

There is also a pretty good chance that this Windower update will also fix the compatibility the issues people have had with Windows 8+ and Windower. This extends to the Launcher, where we've switched to software rendering and expect the white screen issues people were having to be fixed.

v4.3 and the new Launcher are both currently on -dev. If you are having problems with the Creators Update and want to log back in, we recommend at least temporarily using -dev. To do this, duplicate your entire Windower directory, then download this Launcher, replace your existing Windower.exe, and log in.

I will update this post when it goes live, but please try it on -dev or we're unlikely to find the last few bugs that are doubtlessly lurking.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/50727/windower-v43-and-the-creators-update/#3251050