Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12
By Ramyrez 2017-10-10 13:45:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
fonewear said: »
they just aren't as good as the original.

the original movie sucks. it's almost completely unwatchable.

I will never understand how it became popular to begin with

They are objectively awful.

The new ones, from a technical and quality-of-acting standpoint are infinitely better.

What they are is a space fairy tale for kids and the kids grew up to love them as adults but while the originals live on in their nostalgia, all the new movies they take in with an adult's cynicism and it could never be as good as they want it to be, but they'll still go and watch and *** and moan on and on and on about how it should have been, except every one of these guys (and they are like 99% guys) thinks his take on it is best.

The prequels weren't even objectively worse than the originals, but a bunch of manboys felt like their childhood was somehow ruined.

George Lucas invited a time machine to ***all over their blessed younger years.

Don't like the product? Stop paying to see it. Stop paying for anything that it's got marketing ties to. Your favorite restaurant partnered with them for a tie-in? Don't spend money there until they stop. Pepsi tie-in? Switch to Coke until it's over.

But realize if you give them even a penny yes, you retain the right to *** and tell other people how much you hate it, but it doesn't matter because you gave the people who made it your money for making something you hated, and until you teach them a different lesson they're not going to change it.

But let's be real. A good half of the complaining about the newest movies is that they've replaced too many Garu Stus with Mary Sues and the manbabies feel invalidated.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-10 13:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
The prequels weren't even objectively worse than the originals, but a bunch of manboys felt like their childhood was somehow ruined.
Naw, what ruined the series was the Episode VII. All it was was a colorfied reboot of Episode IV.

Give us back our extended universe! #ThrawnBestVillian #SayNoToSnoke
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-10 14:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Naw, what ruined the series was the Episode VII. All it was was a colorfied reboot of Episode IV.

Give us back our extended universe! #ThrawnBestVillian #SayNoToSnoke

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-10 14:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes the fanbois went nuts over dumb ***, the issue with the prequels was the amount of monitization that went into it. They made creative decisions to increase merchandise sales. Jarjar was created entirely to attract children to market them toys and Star Wars products their parents would have to buy. Entire parts of the film where done with no reason other then to sell stuff. This practice continued with the second film and was greatly reduced for the third.

If they would of just told the fairy tale in space they would of been fine, but when you get that much money thrown at something, it's impossible for the creators to get away with not marketing for brand merchandise.
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
Server: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-10-10 15:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Take my money
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-10 16:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's definitely true. Disney is all about the mighty dollar. The fact that they own Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm and so on is one indicator why they decided to kick Netflix to the curb and develop their own streaming ATM machine.

I don't agree with certain creative liberties taken over the years at the hands of ye olde George, but it hasn't detracted from the expansive lore and mythology that exists today because of the failures of yesteryear.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-10 16:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Which doesn't give Disney the reason to distance itself from non-Disney sources of, you know, actual great stories.

Hell, I'll take the Jedi Academy trilogy from Kevin Anderson and have them turn into movies, and you can add all the lens flares you want, and it still will be a better trilogy than what ***we are having today. And that trilogy isn't all that great, storywise...

It literally is the Jar-Jar of the extended universe....
[+]
By fonewear 2017-10-10 16:47:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
fonewear said: »
they just aren't as good as the original.

the original movie sucks. it's almost completely unwatchable.

I will never understand how it became popular to begin with

They are objectively awful.

The new ones, from a technical and quality-of-acting standpoint are infinitely better.

What they are is a space fairy tale for kids and the kids grew up to love them as adults but while the originals live on in their nostalgia, all the new movies they take in with an adult's cynicism and it could never be as good as they want it to be, but they'll still go and watch and *** and moan on and on and on about how it should have been, except every one of these guys (and they are like 99% guys) thinks his take on it is best.

George Lucas invited a time machine to ***all over their blessed younger years.

Don't like the product? Stop paying to see it. Stop paying for anything that it's got marketing ties to. Your favorite restaurant partnered with them for a tie-in? Don't spend money there until they stop. Pepsi tie-in? Switch to Coke until it's over.

But realize if you give them even a penny yes, you retain the right to *** and tell other people how much you hate it, but it doesn't matter because you gave the people who made it your money for making something you hated, and until you teach them a different lesson they're not going to change it.

But let's be real. A good half of the complaining about the newest movies is that they've replaced too many Garu Stus with Mary Sues and the manbabies feel invalidated.

I will say this I find the universe Lucas created far more interesting than the actually stories.
[+]
By Nausi 2017-10-10 19:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Yes the fanbois went nuts over dumb ***, the issue with the prequels was the amount of monitization that went into it. They made creative decisions to increase merchandise sales. Jarjar was created entirely to attract children to market them toys and Star Wars products their parents would have to buy. Entire parts of the film where done with no reason other then to sell stuff. This practice continued with the second film and was greatly reduced for the third.

If they would of just told the fairy tale in space they would of been fine, but when you get that much money thrown at something, it's impossible for the creators to get away with not marketing for brand merchandise.

The problem with the prequels is that Lucas directed them and he sucks at that.

That is all
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-10-10 19:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The prequels weren't even objectively worse than the originals
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-10 19:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Alliance formed with Saudi Arabia.

History Textbook Mistakenly Printed Photo of Yoda With Saudi Arabian King

Quote:
The Star Wars films supposedly took place a long time ago but one history textbook in Saudi Arabia forgot the part about "in a galaxy far, far away" and mistakenly included a photo of Yoda alongside Saudi Arabia's King Faisal.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-10 22:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

director Rian "it's not that hard to understand" Johnson
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-10-11 13:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
these movies suck. The trailers suck more.

Then don't watch them and butt out.
i will download them from pirates bay and seed them, then come here and trash them all day until your eyes bleed.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-11 13:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i will download them from pirates bay and seed them, then come here and trash them all day until your eyes bleed.
I would totally love for you to spoil a movie out in theaters.

Especially if you do it on RT. Make sure to let the mods/Rooks know you are going to do it beforehand too!
By Blazed1979 2017-10-11 13:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I would totally love for you to spoil a movie out in theaters.

Especially if you do it on RT. Make sure to let the mods/Rooks know you are going to do it beforehand too!
that's a new form of Super Saiyan Magenta evil right there, I like it.

Make it so!
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-11 13:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Each to his own I guess when it comes to pirating. I'm an audio/video snob though who thoroughly believes that certain movies should be experienced on the biggest screens with sensational sound.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2017-10-11 13:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

another star wars movie??? let's see what Spock gets into this time well flying around space in his phone box.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-10-11 13:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Each to his own I guess when it comes to pirating. I'm an audio/video snob though who thoroughly believes that certain movies should be experienced on the biggest screens with sensational sound.
I'd rather see Matt Damon fight a bunch of green CG lizards in chinatown on the big screen than pay to see this disney drivel.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-11 13:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather see Matt Damon fight a bunch of green CG lizards in chinatown on the big screen than pay to see this disney drivel.

Fair enough. If that's your position then I can safely assume you wouldn't waste your time pirating the film either.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2017-10-11 13:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't like overly drawn out story lines that side tract with long scenes that feel like a filler episode of Naruto. Then Star Wars is not for you.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-10-11 13:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fair enough. If that's your position then I can safely assume you wouldn't waste your time pirating the film either.
Nope, I'd rather expedite the failure of the current direction disney has taken with the brand.
Every seed is 20$ out of disney's pocket.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-11 14:05:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Why the hatred of Disney? Sure, they've flubbed concepts in the past, but their Marvel efforts are much better than DC or Sony. And, honestly, I am grateful they pulled this beloved IP from the incapable George Lucas.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-11 14:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
And, honestly, I am grateful they pulled this beloved IP from the incapable George Lucas.
Say what you want about Lucas, at least he kept the prequel trilogy within the EU. And didn't ***all over the fanbase other than bad storytelling (and inserting politics where it doesn't belong).

All Disney is doing is trying to cash in on a remake of the original trilogy with their own image(s).
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-11 14:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all about Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-11 14:28:29
Link | Quote | Reply

To get an idea of the size of this thing, the sales for merchandising prior to the Disney taking over was in the 32 billion mark. That's with a capital B. Movie tickets make in the millions of USD, merchandising and licensing makes in the billions.

And thus the reason why current box office block busters are so *** up creatively. They build the entire movie around selling merchandise afterwards.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-11 14:32:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Say what you want about Lucas, at least he kept the prequel trilogy within the EU. And didn't ***all over the fanbase other than bad storytelling (and inserting politics where it doesn't belong).

Couldn't it be argued that he sht all over the fanbase and those that helped make the originals beloved when he digitally altered them to the point of removing some actors completely?
I get that there is a fine line between whether a film/book/whatever belongs to the creator or the fans, but at least most directors keep all options in circulation and don't make the Director's newest Cut the only cut.
At least Disney is pretty good at cash grabs?
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-10-11 14:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Couldn't it be argued that he sht all over the fanbase and those that helped make the originals beloved when he digitally altered them to the point of removing some actors completely?
I get that there is a fine line between whether a film/book/whatever belongs to the creator or the fans, but at least most directors keep all options in circulation and don't make the Director's newest Cut the only cut.
At least Disney is pretty good at cash grabs?

I haven't dug deep enough to really find out the details regarding the passing of the torch (to Kathleen Kennedy) and the sale of LucasFilm to Disney, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if one of the conditions of the sale were that Lucas keeps the original films rights.

I kind of think it's one reason why we haven't seen the release of unaltered original movies on Blu-ray. The 40th Celebration Anniversary recently would have been the ideal event to announce something like that.

Disney would have made millions from those sales alone.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-11 14:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, and that would make a great argument in context. The special editions were pretty much a moneygrab from the start, and to setup the hype for the prequels.

The thing about the EU, Lucas (and by extension, the EU community) had the final say on every book that was released to preserve the continual storyline that was growing...well...basically by the book. That's what makes the EU so great, it grew not only the original trilogy, but also interdeveloped and ultimately expanded the universe from within. That is also why you have original characters (Mara Jade, for example) mix well within each storyline, as each author's viewpoint of the character was different, but with Lucasarts controlling the context of the characters (after Timothy Zahn, of course), you really can't change anything about the character, just make sure that there are no major continuity errors regarding the timeline and stories within each other (and also not to make a gruff character turn cute or whatnot).

Disney took that entire concept, crumpled it up, and buried it in Gungan doo. That is the greatest anger among fanboys we have now.

Sure, it pleases the audience who never read a Star Wars book before, and made the next set of movies a little more kid-friendly, but it also destroys so many characters, and also kills really great potential blockbusters. The Zahn trilogy would have been great for Episodes VII, VIII, and IX. Even if you have to CG the entire thing (which you would, because damn the actors aged badly).
By Ramyrez 2017-10-11 14:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I could have done without some of the EU anyhow.

Zahn's initial trilogy was great.

But most of the stuff after that was sort of "meh" imo. To the point where I honestly gave up on it and had already ruled a lot of it non-canon in my head. So maybe that's why I didn't mind them scrapping the EU.

I still say the best thing to happen to the EU -- hell, to Star Wars in general following the original trilogy -- was KOTOR.
By Ramyrez 2017-10-11 15:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
It's all about Merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Yeah, but even that can be done more intelligently than Lucas did it.

I didn't love the prequels, but I didn't despise them the way a lot of fanboys did, either. Phantom Menace was sort of "meh" but...the other two were passable. Not excellent, but passable. And seeing Yoda in a saber duel with Christopher Lee was worth the price of admission for all three, if nothing else.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 12