Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-24 22:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, "The Crystal Skull" was Spielberg saying, "Aliens."
For them to have equivalency, this movie would have had to have summed up its plot with some holy, archaic heirloom going up in some burst of energ... Oh.

That said, it isn't fair to compare this to what Michael Bay would have done. Michael Bay is an idiot and he panders to the lowest of the low humor ("I'm under the robot's left testicle." Really? REALLY???).
By anik 2017-12-24 23:16:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Go see it, have fun, if you read this then you are probably a douche.
Go see it either way, even if you don't read this, you are most likely a douche no matter what, since you play ffxi with 3rd party tools.

STAR WARS YAY!
By fonewear 2017-12-25 08:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

anik said: »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Go see it, have fun, if you read this then you are probably a douche.
Go see it either way, even if you don't read this, you are most likely a douche no matter what, since you play ffxi with 3rd party tools.

STAR WARS YAY!

The whole point of movies is to pick them apart and find out what is wrong with them. That to me is more entertaining then the actual movie. Maybe it some sort of sick when they made this movie shitty on purpose to spark discussion...

Just like most of you nerds spend more time discussing FFXI than actually playing it...
By fonewear 2017-12-25 09:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
Nah, "The Crystal Skull" was Spielberg saying, "Aliens."
For them to have equivalency, this movie would have had to have summed up its plot with some holy, archaic heirloom going up in some burst of energ... Oh.

That said, it isn't fair to compare this to what Michael Bay would have done. Michael Bay is an idiot and he panders to the lowest of the low humor ("I'm under the robot's left testicle." Really? REALLY???).

If you don't think Star Wars caters to the lowest common denominator you probably don't know Disney as well as you think...
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-25 09:32:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It is certainly easier to meaninglessly criticize the work of others than it is to meaningfully criticize an item or make something better.

Disney is making incredibly entertaining movies and making good money from them at the same time. With most of you, any new Star Wars films would clearly have been lose-lose (Wah, TFA is just a copy of Episode I/ Wah, TLJ took things in a different direction than I expected...) but there is clearly thought and meaning put into these movies. You may not like how they piece together, but they do fit together. Unlike the Transformers movies, which may as well not have any plot at all.

Despite giving examples, I don't think you know what the lowest of low is. Pro tip: It isn't the same as a lowest common denominator. And I don't think TLJ caters to the lowest common denominator, either.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2017-12-25 09:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I think R2D2 is a Dalek spy sent to exterminate the Empire to remove it's potential threat of universal domination.

R2D2 is the true mastermind of the "rebellion"
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-25 09:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If a droid could posses the Force and if R2D2 became a Sith Master, what would his new name be?
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2017-12-25 09:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If a droid could posses the Force and if R2D2 became a Sith Master, what would his new name be?
R-squared D-squared
(evil math "powers")
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-25 10:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Darth Squaredious?
Darth Noneuclideous?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-25 10:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It is certainly easier to meaninglessly criticize the work of others than it is to meaningfully criticize an item or make something better.
Everyone's criticism of The Last Jedi is meaningful and we do so in hopes that our collective voices will be heard and the next one won't suck quite as hard.
(Protip: It's still going to suck.)

there is clearly thought and meaning put into these movies.
I disagree.

You may not like how they piece together, but they do fit together.
I disagree.

Unlike the Transformers movies, which may as well not have any plot at all.
Rian Johnson is the new Michael Bay.

If a droid could posses the Force, what would his name be?
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-25 10:35:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Disney is making incredibly entertaining movies and making good money from them at the same time. With most of you, any new Star Wars films would clearly have been lose-lose (Wah, TFA is just a copy of Episode I/ Wah, TLJ took things in a different direction than I expected...) but there is clearly thought and meaning put into these movies. You may not like how they piece together, but they do fit together. Unlike the Transformers movies, which may as well not have any plot at all.

Despite giving examples, I don't think you know what the lowest of low is. Pro tip: It isn't the same as a lowest common denominator. And I don't think TLJ caters to the lowest common denominator, either.

It was produced for first time fans and kids. This is Disney they don't care about old time fans. Do you know anyone that is like 12 or 13 that cares about the original trilogy.. Disney is betting on young fans driving movie sales. Even Lucas himself said Star Wars is a kids film. It is only the hyper analytic nerds that take a kids movie this serious.
By fonewear 2017-12-25 10:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

And being critical of something doesn't mean you hate it a lot of people seem to misinterpret that. If you are critical of something you are pointing out flaws and how something can be improved.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Stiltz
Server: Carbuncle
user: Stiltz
By Carbuncle.Stiltz 2017-12-25 11:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The "Star Wars is a kid's film" Starter Pack

[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-12-25 11:27:22
Link | Quote | Reply

the coolest TLJ scene, made even cooler
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-12-25 12:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm struggling to try and understand why there are people saying these new disney star wars films are better than the original skywalker storyline.

Both the original trilogy and prequels (even Rogue One) are better than both TFA and TLJ.

Sure the prequels were kinda bad, but not this bad. At least they had character development. And they were kinda doomed in the first place because they were the first movie productions since the return of the jedi. They had big shoes to fill. Not like these new star wars films. The bar was set pretty low in terms of expectations.

All the rich lore that exist(ed) in the star wars canon universe and they gave us these two horrible, terrible choppy catastrophes.

This one scene from Rogue one makes it a million times better than both TFA and TLJ

R.I.P the Star wars universe that gave us Vader
By Afania 2017-12-25 16:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
I'm struggling to try and understand why there are people saying these new disney star wars films are better than the original skywalker storyline.

The reason has been said in first few pages. Those compared 7 and 8 with original trilogy didn't consider they exist in completely different era, thus not comparable. THJ isn't mean to please old OT fans bored in 70s to early 80s, but also to attract viewers from this generation. Characters like Luke(classic hero), Obi-wan(classic mentor), Leia(classic damsel in distress), Vader(classic super villian, hero's father) are just too cliche and 1 dimensional in 2017.

They need something new while still referencing the original trilogy. So they went with Kylo Ren, a character that's completely different kind of villian from Vader, but referenced Vader in every way. From his design with mask, to killing his mentor(something Vader always wanted, but never managed), to asking Rey to join him like classic ep5. I just find it a brilliant way reuse the OT story structure, but made it new and different.

Despite it's Star Wars, I never manage to guess the character choice until the end. Will Rey fall to dark side? I didn't know until the end. Will Kylo turn? I didn't know until the end. On the same time, their choices makes 100% sense and not out of place.

How will their story end? Damn I really want to know and that means I'd have to wait until ep9 and spend money on it.

Had they reused OT character formula I would have guessed the ending, probably wouldn't be excited for ep9 either way.

I found ep7 rather boring and uninteresting tbh, but the development in 8 was interesting and at least I'd want to finish ep9.

Edit: Also Kylo is a Skywalker and main character, so it's still "Skywalkers Story"
By Afania 2017-12-25 18:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I can keep explaining why it's better to direct the story that way because many reasons 100 times.

People still gonna hate it because "main character and villian arent kick *** enough and I don't like them", end of discussion.
By Jetackuu 2017-12-25 18:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Stiltz said: »
Fenrir.Nitenichi said: »
This pretty much sums up everything.
Pretty sure I could just show you a picture of Mickey Mouse taking a ***on the Star Wars logo and save you from wasting thirty minutes of your life.

I watched it the whole way through the other night (couldn't sleep), surprisingly had more decent points and my main gripe in it, was better than I thought it was going to be, which I can't say the same for the movie.
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-12-26 04:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

totally trashed Luke. Mark Hamill himself expressed his disappointment.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-12-26 04:27:34
Link | Quote | Reply

luke turning on his lightsaber and contemplating killing his sleeping nephew is a total botch of the character. why would luke ever do that? what star wars y'all been watching? Luke spent the entire movie on depression island for over two and a half hours wish i could give the dude some prozac
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-12-26 06:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell me more about how you've never seen the optimism, impatience, belief in one's own invincibility and desire to change the world right now despite what anyone else is saying slowly evaporate between the teenage years and the later years.

Somewhere between there and here, Luke realized that he was just trying to create the same "utopian" situation that created his father, killed his mother and landed him on Tatooine without an immediate family.
He was isolated by his "legendary" status. He was more cut-off from the Force when he felt responsible for the public face of the Force than he was on that island, despite what he might have told Rei. He looked at Ben and wondered, do I kill "Hitler before he becomes Hitler?" Luke knew he couldn't kill his father, that Obi-Wan couldn't kill his best friend, but he also knew that had Mace Windu killed Darth Sidious so very many lives would have been saved.
Ultimately, he was still the same Luke we all know. He didn't strike out. But the trap had been set. Just as the Dark Side had clouded the vision of the Jedi Order so many years ago, it was doing the same here. Surely, Snoke "predicted" that this very event would happen and had molded the choice to be made in Ben's heart.

Sure, it makes sense for a fan to dive deep into anything they love. But rather than criticize and say, "This isn't my Star Wars" accept that this is Star Wars and devote your energy to reasoning what the director was trying to say about the universe. This movie had a lot to say. Some was subtle. Much was blunt, like the setting fire to the "old books" and nearly every character saying something along the lines of letting the past go so this new story could move forward.

The movie had wow moments, some good lines, touching moments between long loved characters (A newly hopeful Luke confronted his fear without even the possibility of him harming his family. Like so many years ago, the danger was only in Ben's mind) and scenes that further developed the new characters. No one knows what will happen next. And everyone should now know better than to craft predictions that have the potential to disappoint them so much they are poisoned to the next movie.

There was a lot here. But you have to be open to pondering it to find the delicate nuances.

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force

Otherwise... Anger leads to hate (of a franchise.) Hate leads to suffering!
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-12-26 07:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

skype me via Force like Rey and Kylo! though i guess now that Snoke is dead the signal might be kinda weak

"can you hear me now?"
By Ramyrez 2017-12-26 08:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
People still gonna hate it because "main character and villian arent kick *** enough and I don't like them", end of discussion.

"People are still going to keep calling the women in the movie Mary Sues while ignoring the fact that every single male lead in every action movie out there pitched toward men is, in fact, a Gary Stu on some level or another."
By fonewear 2017-12-26 08:24:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell me more about how you've never seen the optimism, impatience, belief in one's own invincibility and desire to change the world right now despite what anyone else is saying slowly evaporate between the teenage years and the later years.

Somewhere between there and here, Luke realized that he was just trying to create the same "utopian" situation that created his father, killed his mother and landed him on Tatooine without an immediate family.
He was isolated by his "legendary" status. He was more cut-off from the Force when he felt responsible for the public face of the Force than he was on that island, despite what he might have told Rei. He looked at Ben and wondered, do I kill "Hitler before he becomes Hitler?" Luke knew he couldn't kill his father, that Obi-Wan couldn't kill his best friend, but he also knew that had Mace Windu killed Darth Sidious so very many lives would have been saved.
Ultimately, he was still the same Luke we all know. He didn't strike out. But the trap had been set. Just as the Dark Side had clouded the vision of the Jedi Order so many years ago, it was doing the same here. Surely, Snoke "predicted" that this very event would happen and had molded the choice to be made in Ben's heart.

Sure, it makes sense for a fan to dive deep into anything they love. But rather than criticize and say, "This isn't my Star Wars" accept that this is Star Wars and devote your energy to reasoning what the director was trying to say about the universe. This movie had a lot to say. Some was subtle. Much was blunt, like the setting fire to the "old books" and nearly every character saying something along the lines of letting the past go so this new story could move forward.

The movie had wow moments, some good lines, touching moments between long loved characters (A newly hopeful Luke confronted his fear without even the possibility of him harming his family. Like so many years ago, the danger was only in Ben's mind) and scenes that further developed the new characters. No one knows what will happen next. And everyone should now know better than to craft predictions that have the potential to disappoint them so much they are poisoned to the next movie.

There was a lot here. But you have to be open to pondering it to find the delicate nuances.

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force

Otherwise... Anger leads to hate (of a franchise.) Hate leads to suffering!

You are right it's Disney version and they don't even know what Star Wars should or shouldn't be.
By fonewear 2017-12-26 08:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If you ask me they didn't need to make any of the movies besides IV V VI. They could have left it end there and be done with it. I don't need new characters and stories.
By Ramyrez 2017-12-26 08:39:44
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I don't need new characters and stories.

I mean. I understand your sentiment completely.

But if this is the case, why not just...not watch?
[+]
By fonewear 2017-12-26 09:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
fonewear said: »
I don't need new characters and stories.

I mean. I understand your sentiment completely.

But if this is the case, why not just...not watch?

It's like how I am with the Simpsons. If they ruin Star Wars it is disappointing. Cause I know it won't ever be what is was. There are going to keep making new movies. And it divides the fan base.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-12-26 09:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Shruiken said: »
luke turning on his lightsaber and contemplating killing his sleeping nephew is a total botch of the character. why would luke ever do that? what star wars y'all been watching? Luke spent the entire movie on depression island for over two and a half hours wish i could give the dude some prozac

did you even watch return of the jedi, or are you just basing this on a meme
By geigei 2017-12-26 12:08:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to catch up before going to imax, still falling asleep to force awakens.
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12