Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 141 142 143
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-10-09 02:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be curious about R15 Marin Staff on wind related spells too.
I'm not gonna upgrade it (inventory+1, yo!) but I could see R15 Marin winning over Max/Daybreak.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-10-09 08:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You're talking about vs. Dual wielding, or are you talking about either Max or Daybreak?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-10-09 09:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm talking about dualwielding Max/Daybreak vs Marin+1 R15.
For Wind-based spells only, of course.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-10-09 09:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

That's of course much more muddled :D

Marin I think can be argued for 1hd/shield should be best in all situations for high tier nukes.

There used to be a magic damage calculator out there, I think there used to be a blm spreadsheet somewhere too that would account for affinity.
 Odin.Areyla
Server: Odin
user: areyla
By Odin.Areyla 2020-10-12 12:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I just returned, and I'm at the point of trying to solo omen for cards. I'm having a hard time getting 30k Savage Blades with SC damage and 30k MB damage. (Hints on 15k non MB also welcome!)

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades in the intermediate term. Main story is that I'm short gil and working on enfeeble sets (Relic+2/AF+2)
  • No Karieyh due to Janniston

• No Epanimonda's for money reasons

• Slowly working through Odyssey to R15 a Metamor. Ring+1 then Sailfi Belt+1

• Going to Jhakri Slops+2 this week

Naegling/Thibron) Savage Blade Set

Similarly I am looking to get the MB30k objective.
  • Is it worth buying NQ Ea set? Looking at Hat/Body unless it makes more sense to +2AF_head

• With Geas Fete campaign up, should I try and farm out a Merlinic set?

Magic Burst/Nuke Set
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-10-12 12:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

When I was soloing on rdm, I rarely got the 30k WS objective. I had much better luck going requiescat > CDC for darkness than I did requiescat > savage blade for fragmentation honestly when I did get it due to how L3 SCs do damage vs L2s. Dia III, Distract III are minimum debuffs you'll want. Saboteur probably would help. I basically needed the stars to align though, and just went in not expecting it to happen. If you've got Daylight or Crocea, might have better luck with Seraph Blade or Sanguine Blade respectively though.

For MB, Ea Head/Body/Legs are going to be staple for MB set anyway. NQ is fine for RDM, honestly. Don't need HQ unless you are blm main, as if you're in major content MBing, RDM participating will lower the blms damage.

15k damage, without an HQ nuking set would be tough solo. DW would probably be your best bet. Make sure you're nuking to the day. Fire 5 on Fireday for instance to force 10% bonus. Even a whm/sch that could give you storm would increase the likelyhood of success.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-10-12 13:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The "soloing" 30k WS is super easy on RDM with trusts.
Just have a trust that can create a SC with you (like Ayame), let him "learn" which SC you're gonna use then pick a miniboss target, debuff it like hell (Dia3 and Inundation included) then let the trust NPC open for you.
As you close your WS won't do 30k WS probably, but WS + SC will likely do, and that counts for the 30k Objective.

The only objective I was having issues on RDM solo was the 15k nuke non-bursted.
But my nuking gear sucks and I didn't have Sylvie back then.

Everything else is pretty easy to do but you need to prepare in advance and know what you're gonna do according to which objectives you're gonna get.
 Odin.Areyla
By Odin.Areyla 2020-10-12 14:17:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies.

Any comments for gear upgrades I should work towards on the savage blade set?

I had been trying to open/close SC myself but that means you end up with less TP to shoot for the 30k limit on, using ayame might fix that.

I'll buy NQ Ea then after I Relic+2/AF+3 a few pieces
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-10-12 14:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

For the self SC and the WS objs and pretty much the majority of objectives I was using low level weapons with very small delay and like 1 damage.

With those weapons (provided you do at least >1 damage, otherwise you won't get TP) you can do Burning Blade > Flat Blade (if I recall?) to create Fusion.
You can MB with Dia if you get the multiple MBs objective.

If you get the 30k MB obj you can do the same but you need some logic to "unlock" your weapon so that you midcast your spell with proper nuking gear in your weapon/sub slots.
I personally have a hotkey I use to lock/unlock Main and Sub.
I was starting to do the SC and unlock as soon as I performed the second WS, only to MB FireV and do more than 30k damage easily.

Why the low level weapons? You might wonder. Because otherwise you deal too much damage and there won't be enough HP left for the 30k MBB to fully hit the monster. I think if there's not enough HP left on the target, the objective won't count or something like that.
 Odin.Areyla
By Odin.Areyla 2020-10-13 04:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
The "soloing" 30k WS is super easy on RDM with trusts.
Just have a trust that can create a SC with you (like Ayame), let him "learn" which SC you're gonna use then pick a miniboss target, debuff it like hell (Dia3 and Inundation included) then let the trust NPC open for you.
As you close your WS won't do 30k WS probably, but WS + SC will likely do, and that counts for the 30k Objective.

The only objective I was having issues on RDM solo was the 15k nuke non-bursted.
But my nuking gear sucks and I didn't have Sylvie back then.

Everything else is pretty easy to do but you need to prepare in advance and know what you're gonna do according to which objectives you're gonna get.

Thanks!
Using Ayame to close Light via Savage Blade completed the 30k WS objective for me. Now just to get the 30k MB :(
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-10-13 06:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

30k MB is easy as I said.
You need:

* two low level weapons, very low damage, very low delay
* a macro/hotkey/means to lock and unlock your weapons

Once you've past that:
1) Apply the following debuffs to a pulled/slept Transcended NM (Frazzle3, Distract3, Slow2, Para2, Blind2, Inundation)
2) Make sure you have 1000+ TP and engage the Transcended with full buffs on yourself (mostly need magichaste capped and enough accuracy to hit) and using the low level weapons mentioned above, locked in.
3) Do Burning Blade > Flat Blade (this will generate fusion)
4) Press the weapon unlock macro/hotkey/etc and then quickly cast Fire5.

Ta-dah! 30k Magic Burst objective done.
[+]
By Nariont 2020-10-13 06:39:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just have ayame open darkness, close with req, burst. Trans has enough hp to survive that + a burst usually
 Asura.Bootus
user: Sgtsalt
By Asura.Bootus 2020-10-26 15:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Just came back and am working on my RDM slowly.

For soloing CP, I've been fighting Apex Jagils, spamming SB and making SC's with Ayame before bursting. I have Naegling, but my other weapons aren't particularly stellar. I do not have Temper II yet (just got 500 JP yesterday). Is there a method y'all would suggest that would be better to solo CP that might be faster?

My playtime is pretty limited. Maybe 30-ish minutes on weekdays, and only a couple hours at a time on weekends right now because of my work/life schedule, so I'm not sure it would be easy for me to get a CP group together very often.
 Shiva.Osborn
Server: Shiva
user: Osborn
By Shiva.Osborn 2020-10-26 17:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
30k MB is easy as I said.
You need:

* two low level weapons, very low damage, very low delay
* a macro/hotkey/means to lock and unlock your weapons

Once you've past that:
1) Apply the following debuffs to a pulled/slept Transcended NM (Frazzle3, Distract3, Slow2, Para2, Blind2, Inundation)
2) Make sure you have 1000+ TP and engage the Transcended with full buffs on yourself (mostly need magichaste capped and enough accuracy to hit) and using the low level weapons mentioned above, locked in.
3) Do Burning Blade > Flat Blade (this will generate fusion)
4) Press the weapon unlock macro/hotkey/etc and then quickly cast Fire5.

Ta-dah! 30k Magic Burst objective done.

This is all great advice, but I would skip Inundation since it would not provide any additional damage for a self SC using only sword weaponskills. One less spell to cast as RDM
By macsdf1 2020-10-27 00:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Can just do 3000 tp seraph blade to hit 30k ws.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-10-27 01:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Osborn said: »

This is all great advice, but I would skip Inundation since it would not provide any additional damage for a self SC using only sword weaponskills. One less spell to cast as RDM

If you want to do the inundation trick to hit the 30k WS in Omen, go Empyreal Arrow>Savage Blade. The resultant WS+SC will hit 30k, and if your empy arrow set looks anything like mine (a whole helluva lot of malignance), its not going to hit that hard but WILL open fusion for you with plenty of HP left to close.
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2020-10-27 02:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Shiva.Osborn said: »

If you want to do the inundation trick to hit the 30k WS in Omen, go Empyreal Arrow>Savage Blade. The resultant WS+SC will hit 30k, and if your empy arrow set looks anything like mine (a whole helluva lot of malignance), its not going to hit that hard but WILL open fusion for you with plenty of HP left to close.
Innundation actually doesn't boost sc damage when you are the same person using both ws's even if you are using two different weapons. Still very easy and consistent way to hit 30k if your normal savage blade set isn't already hitting 30k.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [53 days between previous and next post]
user: Lilfrosty
By Asura.Clubhollowbrook 2020-12-18 13:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, is there some personal suggestions from folks for rdm/nin or rdm/dnc to go out and solo CP during this campaign? I am starting from 0JP's - have access to 4/5 malignance(all but hands) have a Tauret as well...willing to make some other weps if they are far superior! Just wondering if there is a specific spammy WS used for solo CP, or if some sort of self skillchain on particular mobs is best?!

Thoughts??

Thank you!
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2020-12-18 15:43:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Clubhollowbrook said: »
Hey all, is there some personal suggestions from folks for rdm/nin or rdm/dnc to go out and solo CP during this campaign? I am starting from 0JP's - have access to 4/5 malignance(all but hands) have a Tauret as well...willing to make some other weps if they are far superior! Just wondering if there is a specific spammy WS used for solo CP, or if some sort of self skillchain on particular mobs is best?!

Thoughts??

Thank you!
Spam Savage Blade with Naegling/Thibron, if you want you can SC with empyreal arrow to Savage blade if you have the ambuscade bow, can follow up with CDC for double light or MB depending on what you have the gear to support.
By drakefs 2020-12-18 15:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Just wondering if there is a specific spammy WS used for solo CP, or if some sort of self skillchain on particular mobs is best?!

• CDC - > CDC for light (Kaja\Naegling, Almace, Sequence)

• Savage Blade Spam for pure physical DPS (Kaja\Naegling and Thibron Offhand)

• Sanguine Blade spam (Crocea Mors\Vitiation\Duelist Sword)

• Seraph Blade spam (Crocea Mors\Vitiation\Duelist Sword and Daybreak Offhand)

I found Sanguine Blade spam is my best DPS on APEX mobs (white damage from Enspells is a bit bonkers).
 Quetzalcoatl.Jakey
By Quetzalcoatl.Jakey 2020-12-18 15:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

drakefs said: »
Just wondering if there is a specific spammy WS used for solo CP, or if some sort of self skillchain on particular mobs is best?!

• CDC - > CDC for light (Kaja\Naegling, Almace, Sequence)

• Savage Blade Spam for pure physical DPS (Kaja\Naegling and Thibron Offhand)

• Sanguine Blade spam (Crocea Mors\Vitiation\Duelist Sword)

• Seraph Blade spam (Crocea Mors\Vitiation\Duelist Sword and Daybreak Offhand)

I found Sanguine Blade spam is my best DPS on APEX mobs (white damage from Enspells is a bit bonkers).
Crocea mors is SU5, Vitation is SU4 so somewhat limited availability when trying to get initial job points but yeah they are great too.
 Bahamut.Turambar
Server: Bahamut
user: Turambar
By Bahamut.Turambar 2021-01-14 11:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone with thoughts on how Obstinate Sash changes things for RDM?
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2021-01-14 12:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Well it’s gonna basically replace all other waist options for enfeebles at max rank
 Ragnarok.Lowen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2021-01-14 12:18:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it changes much. I think it's slightly less MACC than augmented Acuity belt+1, the enfeeb duration is nice for Silence/Sleep but I don't know if it would be the first thing I try to augment.
[+]
By Littleflame 2021-01-14 12:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Turambar said: »
Anyone with thoughts on how Obstinate Sash changes things for RDM?
It won't change much outside of Silence/Sleep/Break etc. duration. It has less MND than Luminary Sash (10MND vs 5MND) and less skill than Rumination Sash (7skill vs 5 with the augment). Not to mention Frazzle, Distract, Slow, and Paralyze all already last longer than Saboteur's 3min cooldown. Even if I get it I'm not wasting my time augmenting and am just going to use it for spells that don't rely on MND or skill for potency.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-01-18 07:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Good morning!

Would CrocA or CrocB win main hand? This would be for a seraph blade build. My concept is to not change weps, so looking for best bang for the buck to enfeeble and DPS.

Thank you!
 Asura.Lioncourt
user: Lioncourt
By Asura.Lioncourt 2021-01-18 07:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Between those two id go with the STP one, A i think? But the best Croc for Seraph is by far C.
By SimonSes 2021-01-18 07:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
Good morning!

Would CrocA or CrocB win main hand? This would be for a seraph blade build. My concept is to not change weps, so looking for best bang for the buck to enfeeble and DPS.

Thank you!

Path C is the only weapon that boosts elemental WS, so not sure why you consider path A or path B?
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2021-01-18 08:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
Good morning!

Thank you!

Path C is the only weapon that boosts elemental WS, so not sure why you consider path A or path B?

I didn't even look before i posted pre-coffee this morning. And in my defense, I was up until 4am playing Twilight Imperium with the neighborhood dudes...
[+]
By fett2 2021-02-05 15:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty happy with this accomplishment. Of all my jobs, RDM is my favorite and there isn't much left I can do to make it better.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 141 142 143