Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Cleave Trusts
Cleave Trusts
 Carbuncle.Kyrria
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Kyrria
By Carbuncle.Kyrria 2016-08-07 18:10:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I've just recently gotten really into BLU. I've experimented with a Cleave build and can do ok in Escha Zitah, killing puks and dragons in three spells. A decent start although I'm far from satisfied.

One issue I've found just running my normal group of trusts is they tend to cause me to kill my main target in 2 and things can get funky trying to finish off the rest.

I'm curious what trusts more experienced cleaners use to help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2016-08-07 18:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The engagement requirement is always going to cause real problems, so you ought to stick with trusts that buff you directly for long durations and heal. Star Sybil and Brigid, a rdm, and two whms.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-08-07 18:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You shouldn't be engaging while cleaving, anyways. At least get the Ambuscade set and you should be able to kill in 1 spell.
 Sylph.Braden
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Braden 2016-08-07 18:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I stopped using trusts altogether, partly for targetting issues (yeah there's /targetbnpc, I like to target boxes too). Definitely agree with the Indi- trusts. A WHM or RDM or whatever for occasional buffs are good, but stopping to engage isn't something you want to do very often when BLU cleaving.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-08-07 18:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll bring out a WHM in the beginning solely for Protect V, and all other trusts are Indi- spells. Moogle, Kupo, Sibyl, and Brygid are my go-to choices for cleaving. You only ever want to engage when your protect wears. Otherwise, it's all on you.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyrria
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kyrria
By Carbuncle.Kyrria 2016-08-07 19:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That makes a lot of sense. I know Sybil was a login campaign trust I don't have. I have found targeting to be more of a problem than a help. I'll play around with some of the suggestions and see how that helps.
By Rife 2016-08-07 21:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

kingofhearts, engage, let him cast phalanx II on you
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2016-08-07 21:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I use star sybil, Quiltada to get cor rolls up, a whm just incase I do somehow need a cure due to being interrupted as well as for protect,Kupo, and the rest can be whatever for all I care.
By Mookies 2016-08-08 02:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't really use trusts unless it's for an emergency heal if you pulled too much. I'd stick with healers, buffers, and passive buffs.
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2016-08-08 03:10:51
Link | Quote | Reply

My typical blue cleave setup: Kupofried, Star Sybil, King of Hearts, Apururu, Cherukiki
 Asura.Iuno
Server: Asura
user: freyavp
By Asura.Iuno 2016-08-17 01:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

how does one survive pulls larger than 5? only eked out the NQ ambuscade set so far, and dont see my self being geared enough to do higher difficulties to get +1, will i still be able to do decent aoe damage?
 Asura.Ajirha
user: Ajirha
By Asura.Ajirha 2016-08-17 10:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

you dont want more than the one whm trust. they won't cure you while not engaged and you won't engage anyway. If you do, with the game giving you a stupid delay before you can start swinging and turn to the mob if you messed up in the panic, it'll be too late.

Kupofried for the extra exp/CP
Star Sybile is a must have for the extra mab.
moogle for the refresh
one whm trust for when you engage every 30 min for the recast of pro/shell
maybe the chocobo for the bit of regen.

no other bubble is of any interest for a blu cleave. extra chr is not needed.

what you need though is the unbridled learning spell named "carcharian verve". it comes from the shark WKR. that spell is a must have, it'll give you a 100% aquaveil effect for 22 min straigh (bit less if no jp or anything) that garenty no spell interruption at all save from a stun spell/move.

to luno: was the number 5 a typo? or did you really meant 5 mobs? i think an avergae geard blu will easily be able to handle half the dragon/puks and a well geared one can most likely handle nearly all of them. (DT gear in your idle/running set helps. occulation helps. cocoon helps. tusk barrier helps)
of course casting spell like floe or entomb as your first spell can matter in your survivability. but keep in mind that these mobs are only lv 107 ish and you are 119 with lots of evasion and all so it shouldnt be that dangerous.
another thing : if you feel a bit weak on your spell and you can't one-shot them, you should open your cleave with "Burst Afinity" then your aoe. that will increase the potency of teh cast by a lot. (as a reminder some AF enhance burst afinity)
and last, specifically on the puks/dragon, dont use wind based nukes... they dont cure unlike most other puks but they do take near no dmg.
now, if you want to keep up the chain, groups of 10-15 mobs max is what you want. train, kill, cure. go to the next group. that way you shld be able to keep up the chain easily enough.

there, i hope i didnt bore you too much.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2016-08-17 11:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ajirha said: »
you dont want more than the one whm trust. they won't cure you while not engaged and you won't engage anyway. If you do, with the game giving you a stupid delay before you can start swinging and turn to the mob if you messed up in the panic, it'll be too late.

Kupofried for the extra exp/CP
Star Sybile is a must have for the extra mab.
moogle for the refresh
one whm trust for when you engage every 30 min for the recast of pro/shell
maybe the chocobo for the bit of regen.

what you need though is the unbridled learning spell named "carcharian verve". it comes from the shark WKR. that spell is a must have, it'll give you a 100% aquaveil effect for 22 min straigh (bit less if no jp or anything) that garenty no spell interruption at all save from a stun spell/move.

to luno: was the number 5 a typo? or did you really meant 5 mobs? i think an avergae geard blu will easily be able to handle half the dragon/puks and a well geared one can most likely handle nearly all of them. (DT gear in your idle/running set helps. occulation helps. cocoon helps. tusk barrier helps)
of course casting spell like floe or entomb as your first spell can matter in your survivability. but keep in mind that these mobs are only lv 107 ish and you are 119 with lots of evasion and all so it shouldnt be that dangerous.
another thing : if you feel a bit weak on your spell and you can't one-shot them, you should open your cleave with "Burst Afinity" then your aoe. that will increase the potency of teh cast by a lot. (as a reminder some AF enhance burst afinity)
and last, specifically on the puks/dragon, dont use wind based nukes... they dont cure unlike most other puks but they do take near no dmg.
now, if you want to keep up the chain, groups of 10-15 mobs max is what you want. train, kill, cure. go to the next group. that way you shld be able to keep up the chain easily enough.

there, i hope i didnt bore you too much.
+1 Goood info

I suspect if one is having issues with only a handful of mobs in that zone then it's a gearing/jp issue/spell issue. You want the spells from the duel elementals as they hit like a truck and have awesome additional effects. Verve is a must also, it's a lifesaver. Sure you can do it without, but never being interrupted means you can pull the zone as long as you can survive the pull.

I havent done this in awhile myself, but even with worse gear than I have now, reisen mosquitoes/beetles died in 2 spells without star syb. Verv is even more important there.

Off topic:
After, getting afterglow almace the other day, I must say it was satisfying meleeing and getting cp chain 40+ without even cleaving. Pretty sure that included a couple ascended mobs, but the last one broke chain unfortunately.
 Sylph.Traxus
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2016-08-17 11:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The trust you're talking about; brygid, gives +10% def and some mdb.

While verve is great for cleaving, it does have a limited amount of charges (10-15 or something like that) before it wears off.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
Server: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2016-08-17 11:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

While verve is great for cleaving, it does have a limited amount of charges (10-15 or something like that) before it wears off.[/quote]

Are you sure? It seemed like it lasted forever. I thought it was the magic bonus that wears off. I definitely pulled for quite some time and never got interrupted but once it wore and I didnt pay attention, I was a goner as I was pulling 10+ reisen mobs at a time solo.
 Asura.Iuno
user: freyavp
By Asura.Iuno 2016-08-17 12:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
it's a gearing/jp issue
yeah i dont see almaric or +1 jhakri being a reality currently, nor do i have any jp yet lol.

Quote:
ill go learn verve and try this stuff out, thanks
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-08-17 12:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Tdizzle said: »

Are you sure? It seemed like it lasted forever. I thought it was the magic bonus that wears off. I definitely pulled for quite some time and never got interrupted but once it wore and I didnt pay attention, I was a goner as I was pulling 10+ reisen mobs at a time solo.

It's definitely limited.