Windower/FFXI Crashing. Can't Figure It Out...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Windower/FFXI crashing. Can't figure it out...
Windower/FFXI crashing. Can't figure it out...
By Jetackuu 2016-08-05 18:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Luminohelix said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Ok maybe I should not have said forced. When I went into store to buy an OS they only offered windows 10 so that's what I got. My own fault. Anyways, I just want to play and it's not working so any help would be appreciated :)! Also thanks for the laughs <3. Microsoft did hold a gun to my head ;)!

Did you get Windows professional? or just home?
Pro :(
That's better, actually.

Is it an HP or Dell by chance?
By Luminohelix 2016-08-05 18:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok maybe I should not have said forced. When I went into store to buy an OS they only offered windows 10 so that's what I got. My own fault. Anyways, I just want to play and it's not working so any help would be appreciated :)! Also thanks for the laughs <3. Microsoft did hold a gun to my head ;)!

Did you get Windows professional? or just home?
Pro :(
That's better, actually.

Is it an HP or Dell by chance?
Neither :( (I just bought all the parts and put it together myself)
By Jetackuu 2016-08-05 19:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I see. Well legally speaking you have downgrade rights from your OEM (which in this case is you) but as you don't have a 7 product key you would need to hacktivate it with something like windows loader by daz. While that would be one way, apparently you can use your 8/10 key to get a 7 activation code from M$

http://www.howtogeek.com/133168/how-to-downgrade-windows-8-pro-to-windows-7/

But I certainly understand if you don't want to go through all that. (Note if you're using a NVMe ssd you will have to use something like DISM to integrate the driver to your .wim or it won't install).
By DanielH 2016-08-05 19:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectPlay in (Legacy Components) "Turn Windows features on or off" checked?

Also I assume you've tried Windower with no Addons and Plugins activated?
By Luminohelix 2016-08-05 19:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

DanielH said: »
DirectPlay in (Legacy Components) "Turn Windows features on or off" checked?

Also I assume you've tried Windower with no Addons and Plugins activated?
I've done all the things I could find in Windower and Reddit forums, they haven't worked unfortunately :(!
 Lakshmi.Tubal
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Tubal
By Lakshmi.Tubal 2016-08-05 21:19:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you search forums you will encounter various posts dating as far back as 2013ish with the same problem...none which have a solid solution.

Short of the long story, windoower worked fine on my win 10 for about 2 weeks before the crashing on switch to POL. Weeks of forum posts and research of forums did not produce a solution. It wasn't regression update back to win 8 crashes stopped. As someone suggested to me, if its an option for you, switch from win 10 to 8 or 7.
 Phoenix.Tigertail
Server: Phoenix
user: Tigertail
By Phoenix.Tigertail 2016-08-07 11:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I am having the EXACT same problem as the OP. I also have a Surface Pro 4 that I bought 3 months ago for on the go FFXI playing but as the OP states POL crashes on the transition to FFXI. Is there still no solution for this? I have a desktop that I upgraded to Win10 about a year ago and have had no problems, except for making sure that legacy components > Direct Play was enabled. That is enabled on the Surface Pro so that is not the issue. Sucks that I bought something so expensive and can't even use it the way I intended. At least vanilla ffxi runs.
 Lakshmi.Tubal
user: Tubal
By Lakshmi.Tubal 2016-08-07 11:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The crashing issue seems isolated to laptops as I've not read of any desktop issues. I fixed the issue by going back to windows 8, if that's not an option I've yet to see any solution with continued use of win10 work.
By Jetackuu 2016-08-07 13:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a surface Pro 3 and it works fine with XI, granted I haven't used it on there in awhile as well I can't stand trying to play with that keyboard, but hey.

If you have a laptop with a crashing issue on the transition it having multiple gpus is likely the culprit (obviously not an issue on the Surface).
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2016-08-07 14:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Tubal said: »
The crashing issue seems isolated to laptops as I've not read of any desktop issues. I fixed the issue by going back to windows 8, if that's not an option I've yet to see any solution with continued use of win10 work.
It's not, I've had this problem on my single-GPU (970) PC ever since I upgraded.
By Jetackuu 2016-08-07 14:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I've been hearing of this issue since Windows 8 and for some the only good solution has been an install from scratch of the OS.

I'm unfortunately not a coder, also not even sure if that would generate a full crash log on anything.

I will say that the game runs decently well in a vmware workstation VM (it should run in vmware player as well), so that's an option for the more technical savvy people. (I like it because I can use one computer with multiple controllers that way).
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [147 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Juilan
Server: Siren
user: Juilan
By Siren.Juilan 2017-01-01 17:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Blittzjr said: »
Nah thats a simple fix I think. Go to the FFXI config file in the ffxi install folder. Open it up and then change the resolution. I cant remember it 100% but this has happened to me like 4 times. Try searching it on going but I know changing the resolution on the ffxi config and trying it that way worked.
This worked for me for some strange reason
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [278 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Clubark
user: Clubark
By Lakshmi.Clubark 2017-10-06 18:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I have done everything literally, that I could find online and reading everyone's advise. Literally everything ..... This seem to fix my freezing issues and crashing.

Here is the URl

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/circular-kernel-context-logger-error-0xc0000188/d2aa4b79-be60-43d0-8d31-0072235a8f43?auth=1

read it entirely and stop on page # 3 @
Andreas Toth's final reply.
[+]
By Clubark 2017-10-06 18:30:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Double the trace buffer ftw!
[+]
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Server: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2017-10-22 11:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So I just did a clean install of Windows 10 this weekend, and what do you know, Windower works properly now. Hurray. Whatever happened in the upgrade from 8.1 to 10, Windower just did not agree with.

Unfortunately I forgot to save all my macro related stuff, so I have to write all that again.