1 Song (Sometimes) Wearing Off Early {Problem]
First Page 2
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2016-06-02 19:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Gearswap isn't perfect (at least not for me) and will sometimes have songs go off in your precast gear with troub/night active. It's annoying, but I just watch my in game timers and resing a song that got screwed over. Been meaning to change my precast gear to my normal song duration gear when troub/night is active to get rid of the issue, but been super lazy.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2016-06-02 19:46:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I have this happen when I try to sing too fast. If I don't wait for aftercast to finish on my previous song and sing again, my next song gets incomplete/wrong gear. So long as I wait, it works well and I can even use Impatiens on my precast rather than an instrument so long as I give it that extra bit.
 Asura.Krystela
Server: Asura
By Asura.Krystela 2016-06-02 21:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Affinty said: »
Hey thanks a lot for the fast reply. I mean I can't think of anything else other than things just aren't equiping, but people have told me with Gearswap that can't happen. That, plus the fact that with //gs showswaps on it says that everything is, I was pretty stumped and wondered if anyone else is having/had this problem.

Do you happen to know how I would go about doing that? (Just equiping my midcast gear for both precast and midcast when night/troub is up like you suggested) I'm pretty new to gearswap. Or should I just post that in the GS thread?
My gearswap is set so it equips midcast set instead of precast when n/t is up, I am fairly sure a lot of the bard.luas out there have this rule as well.
 Asura.Krystela
By Asura.Krystela 2016-06-03 15:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Krystela said: »
My gearswap is set so it equips midcast set instead of precast when n/t is up, I am fairly sure a lot of the bard.luas out there have this rule as well.

Yeah, mine is not set up like that. So I was asking how I would go about making it that way.

I dont know how you lua is set (gear set wise) but the rule should look like this. (Mines a non-mote one)
Code
-- Songs --		
	    if spell.type == 'BardSong' then
	        equip(sets.precast.SSC)		
	        if dummy:contains(spell.name) then
		        equip(sets.precast.Dummy)
            elseif buffactive['Troubadour'] or buffactive['Nightingale'] then
                equip(sets.midcast.Buffs)
		        if spell.english == "Honor March" then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Honor)	
			    elseif spell.english == "Advancing March" then
                    equip(sets.midcast.March)
			    elseif spell.english == "Victory March" then
                    equip(sets.midcast.March)				
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Minuet') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Minuet)		
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Madrigal') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Madrigal)				
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Prelude') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Prelude)	
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Carols') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Carols)						
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Scherzo') then
	                equip(sets.midcast.Scherzo)	
		         elseif string.find(spell.english,'Minne') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Minne)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Paeon') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Paeon)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Etude') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Etude)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Hymnus') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Hymnus)					
 		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Ballad') then
	                equip(sets.midcast.Ballad)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Mambo') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Mambo)	
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Mazurka') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Mazurka)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Dirge') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Dirge)		
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Sirvente') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Sirvente)					
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Finale') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Finale)
	    	    elseif string.find(spell.english,'Elegy') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Elegy.duration)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Lullaby') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Lullaby.Duration)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Requiem') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Requiem.Duration)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Threnody') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Threnody.Duration)
	     	    elseif string.find(spell.english,'Nocturne') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Nocturne.Duration)
		        elseif string.find(spell.english,'Virelai') then
                    equip(sets.midcast.Virelai.Duration)					
                end	

After that, I list all the usual precast sets for songs.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-03 16:26:12
Link | Quote | Reply

can't happen with ashitacast
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-06-03 17:10:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The causes of GS not swapping gear correctly on instacast proc can be 3 as far as I know:

1) a temporary bug in GS (this usually gets fixed very fast once reported)
2) your Lua sucks
3) a packet loss occurs

3) is the most common cause, and there is absolutely nothing your or ahsitacast or anything else can do in game to avoid packetlosses. They will happen, and you can do nothing bout it.
They are usually pretty rare afaik, if you start noticing the "no swapping" happening often then it's probably being caused by 1, 2 or a very bad connection to SE servers.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 06:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

the actual cause is that aftercast is a thing in gearswap, which results in stray idle gear packets that may or may not be properly spaced alongside your actions due to the way outgoing packets are handled

ashitacast's idle gear is processed every time an outgoing transmission occurs, which makes it completely impossible for any timing to create the same effect(if you have an action going out along the same time as an idle call was queued, it'll always be:
status update < idle gear < precast gear < action < midcast gear. With gearswap, say you press an action then you receive a late packet saying your last spell finished, you'll have status update < precast < action < midcast < idle, resulting in the problem mentioned here.. it takes up to 300ms after pressing a macro for the associated packet from it to actually be sent out, meaning that any idle trigger in that window can mess up your midcast

the things you often call packets are actually just blocks of data within an actual packet, an outgoing transmission can be very large(i believe it's up to 1024 bytes, while 3 full set swaps an action packet and a status update totals less than 300 bytes).. what this means is that a dropped packet will drop the whole packet including the action AND the gear.. if the command was queued from the game client as is the case in ashitacast, it'll just be resent automatically and the equips will be added to it again.. if the command was queued from packets that's the end of it, either way any loss of the action will also lose the accompanying gear and vice versa so while it's true that nobody can prevent packet loss it actually doesn't really matter in this case

it could be called a bug, but it's not necessarily easy to fix and it does rely on some latency to occur in most cases.. more of a side effect due to the way gearswap is modeled

4/10 for effort, mostly just parroting stuff you've never understood
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

as a side note, since it's caused by aftercast you should definitely make sure your aftercasts are all complete before casting anything vital(lullaby on albumen, vinipata) if using gearswap and you shouldn't have any issues
[+]
 Bismarck.Phaded
Server: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 07:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, mine is not set up like that. So I was asking how I would go about making it that way.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
can't happen with ashitacast

Regardless of how ashitacast or gearswap handle aftercast, the problem here is with his Nightingale rule not being handled correctly. 4/10 for effort on answering OP's question.

As for what might be going on, your Nightingale merits are procing insta-cast and is causing your song to be casted in precast instead of midcast. One way of writing a catchall rule would be:
Code
function precast(spell,action)
	if spell.type == 'BardSong' then
		if buffactive.Nightingale then
			equip_song_gear(spell)
			return
		else
			equip(sets.Precast.SongPrecast)
		end
	end
end

With 5/5 Nightingale, all songs will insta-cast so theres no logical reason to macro in fastcast as precast anyway. Just precast in your potency/duration gear.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:17:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Wrong again. As mentioned, it's all one transmission. Even with nightingale instaproc, gearswap and ashitacast have ample time to swap in midcast gear.

Server reads in precast, reads and queues action, and reads in midcast before actually processing the action as they are all sent in one transmission and packet reading isn't threaded.

If you don't know how it actually works, you probably shouldn't assume.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 07:21:11
Link | Quote | Reply

If not going to answer a gearswap question don't reply? Two correct answers to help the OP have been given. Seems you are full of answers to questions no one asked, don't glance over questions.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I answered the question. It's caused by aftercast being processed later in a packet cycle than the command being queued. You can avoid it by waiting until you are sure your aftercast has completed before starting your next cast.

It is not related to whether your gear is equipped in precast or midcast, and there is absolutely no need to change to precast when nightingale is active.

Is that clear enough?
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 07:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Good job anwering the question, just write "can't happen with ashitacast" in your precast rules everyone.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I answered the question by stating that it is unnecessary. There is 0 change in actual result by putting on precast < action < midcast or just midcast < action when nightingale is active. Yes, this is the case with gearswap not just ashitacast. The 'bug' in question, which is caused by a late aftercast queue, will cause the same result in both scenarios.

Please don't interpret your inability to understand as my inability to answer.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 07:31:27
Link | Quote | Reply

And yet multiple brd.lua's have a similar rule to prevent such things from happening during high latency/macro spamming situations. It's probably also buried in some form in one of mote's includes. I've seen it occur to multiple LS brds and have experienced it myself. The above two examples REGARDLESS of aftercast lag when spamming a macro prevents it from ever happening. You also seem to have taken my suggestion to precast in duration/potency as "eliminate precast" and break the laws of physics. There is no logical reason to Precast in FastCast if you have 5/5 merits.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:33:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, I could go back and forth with you all day, but I might as well be trying to explain that the earth is round to a medieval peasant. People having an unnecessary rule doesn't suddenly make it necessary, and I've already explained why this is the case in this very thread if you would take the time to read it.

Put very simply: Latency doesn't matter.

Picture a layer cake. The top layer is your delicious fast cast gear. The middle layer is your song. The bottom layer is your midcast gear. The cake is delivered in one piece. The person receiving the cake will eat the entire cake top to bottom before they feel any effects of it. That's what's happening here, the 'packets' are all in the same communication and if the communication doesn't arrive NONE of them will arrive.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 07:37:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah I don't feel a need to help you advertise ashitacast, and if this is the kind of help ashita users offer it's no wonder GS is still the more popular of the two.

Also picture that you had a merited ability that negates the "fast cast" layer and lets you get straight to the second "song" layer on that cake. I think that just changed your cake to a pie. The person eating the pie will be happy not to have to deal with one less layer of bread filler. Put very simply: fastcast in precast doesn't matter, just use duration/potency in precast.

For now tho, I'd rather focus on the OP, hey Ani hit me up in game if still having issues.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing I've posted short of my initial (and maybe unnecessary) snarky comment and response to sechs has been about ashitacast. I outlined why gearswap has this problem, how to avoid it, and why changing to precast is unnecessary and will not help. You're just looking for confrontation here, which is of no help to anyone. The only thing you've posted that had any content was a lua snippet that doesn't actually change anything.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 07:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You could have left out the dumb "explaining round earth to peasants" remark, why edit posts to make it look like you're suddenly the helpful one? No matter how much "technical knowledge" you spew, there is no logical reason to precast in fastcast during Nightingale. Useless internet posturing...
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

That's basically how I feel after stating the same thing 4 seperate times, fully explaining the underlying mechanics, and still being told I'm wrong by someone who has no idea what they're talking about. Maybe not the most polite way to put it, but it is an apt analogy.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 07:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

No one has said "Wrong" and "Wrong again" other than you, sorry if you're seeming to be taking a gearswap question as an offense to all things ashitacast.

I'll take BRD field experience over any explanation you've given and after seeing similar rules in various lua's and speaking to various GS using BRDs in and out of LS, I've added it myself to mine and have NEVER encountered that issue again when spamming macros. Just precast in duration.

I'm going to say it works to solve the OP's problem. GS isn't perfect and yes such rules sometimes do have to exist even if they offend you.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 07:56:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not that they offend me, it's that they literally do nothing.

It doesn't matter if it's ashitacast or gearswap.

They do not change how the server handles your gear in any way, whatsoever.

Whether or not you have the rule, the midcast equipment will be on before the spell finishes.

When this happens, it's because your midcast equipment is being swapped into then something else is being swapped into due to aftercast being processed late(often after a spell finish packet for the prior spell is dropped).

Seriously, it's not that hard to understand. You can insist until the end of time that what you've observed is correct, but there are people(not just myself) who understand how it works(that's how gearswap and ashitacast were created in the first place, you know).
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 08:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

How things work on paper aren't how things always work out in the field, sorry if you are under the assumption everything works perfectly 100% of the time. Can just eliminate the midcast issue by precasting accordingly. Multiple players have encountered that issue and none of the info you are providing is of any use other than "hit macros slower so you end up in aftercast correctly". For players that spam macros that just isn't going to cut it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-06-04 08:03:32
Link | Quote | Reply

How things are coded is how they will work, or software development wouldn't be a thing.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2016-06-04 08:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Right, and things don't ever require patches or fail or require day one updates. This discussion literally just became a reason to just keep upping one's post count so I'll bow out here. Ani will still be in game for a while longer if need help with that or whenever we randomly run into each other.
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2016-06-04 08:34:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I like Vanilla
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2016-06-04 16:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Phaded said: »
This discussion literally just because a reason to just keep upping one's post count so I'll bow out here.
Could've seen that coming with a username like his.
First Page 2