Live-adaption Of Ghost In The Shell

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Live-adaption of Ghost in the Shell
Live-adaption of Ghost in the Shell
First Page 2
 Sylph.Ashiya
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Ashee
By Sylph.Ashiya 2016-04-14 13:53:01
Link | Quote | Reply

http://io9.gizmodo.com/our-first-look-at-scarlett-johansson-as-ghost-in-the-sh-1770937689

So, how does everyone feel about this?

The idea of Scarlett Johanson, playing the Major doesn't bother me. Also, the movie is being directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Hunstman) I'm not sure what to think of it, but I hope it doesn't bomb like a certain abomination(Dragonball Evolution).
By Draylo 2016-04-14 13:56:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hm not sure how I feel about her doing that role, I could think of some better people but she'll do a good job most likely.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-14 14:12:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Ashiya said: »
but I hope it doesn't bomb like a certain abomination(Dragonball Evolution).
Hollywood is involved.

Of course it's going to be shitty. Haven't we learned our lesson from the first 20 times Hollywood has taken a great Japanese video game/anime series and turned it into something you would expect to come out of a South Park episode?
 Sylph.Ashiya
By Sylph.Ashiya 2016-04-14 14:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Hollywood is involved.

Of course it's going to be shitty. Haven't we learned our lesson from the first 20 times Hollywood has taken a great Japanese video game/anime series and turned it into something you would expect to come out of a South Park episode?

*sigh* True =_=
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-04-14 14:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not optimistic.

ScarJo doesn't really embody Matoko in my mind. She's the type of actor that tends to play herself within a role. That's worked well for her in certain roles, but she's not a good fit here. For this and other reasons, I'm inclined to think she was brought in for billing purposes first and foremost.

I'm also not sure Sanders is up to the task here. GitS deals with some pretty heavy themes; I don't think he has the subtlety as a director to do them justice.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2016-04-14 14:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-14 14:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Candlejack said: »
Dragonball Evolution
How dare you mention that abomination!

We don't speak of that creature, for it will rise from the dead if you say it's name 3 times.

/counts

O *** ***, this is the third time! God damn it CJ! You rose it from the grave!
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-04-14 15:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Street fighter
Super mario bros
Double dragon
Godzillas
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-04-14 15:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm anti-this project, but will still watch it as soon as it's available to stream or dl for free.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-04-14 15:42:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see Scarlet doing reasonably well if they're using the most recent incarnation of the show rather than Stand Alone Complex as a guide.
By Draylo 2016-04-14 15:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't seen that new version, what is she like there? I could see similarities between the character she plays in 99% of her movies (lucy, etc) to the Major.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Ashiya
By Sylph.Ashiya 2016-04-14 16:47:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm also disappointed that even Japan took pointers from Hollywood, when they blundered on Attack on Titan the Movie... =/
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2016-04-14 17:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Hollywood is involved.

*sigh* True =_=
A moment of silence for all the victims like 'All you need is kill'
By volkom 2016-04-14 17:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i'ma go out on a limb and believe in her. because of what I saw ben affleck do with batman
By Enuyasha 2016-04-14 18:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, Aeonflux wasnt exactly the best movie...but it want an abomination either...

Who knows, maybe hollywood wont *** this one up?
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-04-14 21:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I haven't seen that new version, what is she like there? I could see similarities between the character she plays in 99% of her movies (lucy, etc) to the Major.

It's closer to the original movies if you have seen those. She's more like the MCU's Black Widow.
 Asura.Shiraiyuki
user: Shirai
By Asura.Shiraiyuki 2016-04-15 01:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Eh, we'll see. I feel it's going to be somewhere between "meh" and "it was tolerable".
Probably still going to watch it at the theater.
 Sylph.Ashiya
By Sylph.Ashiya 2016-04-15 13:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Update:

Oh No, Ghost in the Shell Considered Using CGI to Make White Actors Look Asian

Why...?
[+]
By volkom 2016-04-15 13:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

gross
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2016-04-15 14:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2016-04-15 15:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

IMO, GiTS is an anime IP that I think Hollywood has some flexibility with. There are already several variations of it, after all, which vary in tone.

I don't really think Scarlett is right for the part though. So, I'd agree, probably more that she can sell tickets and has some action films on her resume.
 Sylph.Ashiya
By Sylph.Ashiya 2016-04-16 11:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Update: This article was posted this morning;Twitter Explodes After Hollywood Whitewashes Classic Anime Series. - by U.S Uncut.

Jon Tsuei, a comic book artist and a photographer. Voiced his concerns over this issue via twitter. I went ahead and combined each of his tweets.

Quote:
Ok, I have some thoughts. Bear with me if you would. I’ve been seeing a lot of defenses for the ScarJo casting that seem to lack a nuanced understanding of a Ghost In The Shell as a story. The manga came out in 1989, the first film 1995. An era when Japan was considered the world leader in technology. Everything hot in that era came out of Japan. Cars, video games, walkmans, all of that. Japan was setting a standard. This is a country that went from poised to conquer to the Pacific to forcibly disarmed. They poured their resources into their economy. And as a country that was unable to defend themselves, but was a world leader in tech, it created a relationship to tech that is unique. Ghost In The Shell plays off all of these themes. It is inherently a Japanese story, not a universal one. This casting is not only the erasure of Asian faces but a removal of the story from its core themes. You can “Westernize” the story if you want, but at that point it is no longer Ghost In The Shell because the story is simply not Western.

Understand that media from Asia holds a dear place in the hearts of many Asians in the west, simply because western media doesn’t show us. Ghost In The Shell, while just one film, is a pillar in Asian media. It’s not simply a scifi thriller. Not to me, not to many others. Respect the work for what it is and don’t bastardize it into what you want it to be.

— Jon Tsuei (@jontsuei) April 15, 2016 (Twitter)
[+]
 Fenrir.Loynis
Server: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Loynis 2016-04-16 13:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I never had high hopes for this project. At this point unless there are major revisions to make it more true to the original works I'm not going to taint my brain on this copycat bastardization.
 Sylph.Ashiya
By Sylph.Ashiya 2016-04-18 09:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh man, some of these were sad to read :X

The Japanese Internet Reacts to ScarJo in GitS

this one comment in particular had me lol'ing.

Quote:
“Putting race on a cyborg...”
By Ramyrez 2016-04-18 09:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I the only person not losing his mind over this?

I mean, yeah, I don't think it's a great fit and ScoJo was cast solely for her marketability, but...

...Hollywood's history with Japanese properties/adaptations -- Sergio Leone's classic westerns aside -- isn't great. What did anyone expect?

Really, isn't the onus on us at this point to set the bar low and just hope the screenplay isn't ***? Or to, better yet, just not pay to see it?
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-04-18 10:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Somewhat off-topic, but I'm also disappointed that even Japan took pointers from Hollywood, when they blundered on Attack on Titan the Movie... =/
Live Action Kenshin Movie tho, was *** great.
Candlejack said: »
Bismarck.Misao said: »
Godzillas
Meh, the 2014 Godzilla looked passable enough for me to forgive Legendary. Plus, they kept Roland Emmerich far away from it to appease me seeing the travesty he filmed in 1998.
2nd movie was srsly an improvement, but editing was bleh.

"lets have godzilla fight this monster in Hawaii!"
"wait better idea, cut to the kid at home to make a dumb joke"
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-18 10:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The movie’s producers even considered making the film’s white lead look more Asian via CG special effects. Yikes.

JUST CAST AN ASIAN HOLY ***
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-18 10:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/18/fans-petition-to-have-scarlett-johansson-removed-as-star-of-ghost-in-the-shell-movie
[+]
First Page 2