Shiva.Verohawke
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: verohawke
By Shiva.Verohawke 2015-05-12 06:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like we are getting a new spell as seen in this May update trailer

YouTube Video Placeholder

Not really psyched about the coming update, looks kinda meh..
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-12 07:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Going by the japanese notes in a 4gamer article it's not a new spell but adjustments to the enmity generated by Utsusemi spells.
If it really is just that it's pretty meh imho because:
1) It won't solve the issues NIN is having while trying to tank
2) It might make things more annoying when DDing or when /NIN (ddNIN and DDs /NIN do not want increased enmity from utsusemi...)

Really hope that translation is wrong and that there's more to it.
By FaeQueenCory 2015-05-12 07:26:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, Sechs, with increased enmity... It might be enough so that a party doesn't need a proper tank or /WAR with the new enmity.
Not that I'm complaining about needing a tank, but when you join something where the *** in charge doesn't know about how enmity works now...
Yeah...

Even with provoke level enmity, I don't see it being a problem...
It certainly won't hurt proper tanks tanking ability.
No more so than /WAR and using provoke does.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2015-05-12 07:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
I dunno, Sechs, with increased enmity...
Do we *want* this?
People who still have to adapt to the new gamestyle, of course.
But everybody else?
How healthy is it to have a game based on Tank, DPS and Healer/supporter roles where Tanks aren't necessary in 99,9% of the content?
We never asked ourselves questions like these, probably, because we were all too used on the situation.
But it was one of the first things a player coming from another game found strange.
We had tanks... and nobody needed them.
I mean, let's just give all DDs C4 and C5 spells next, so everybody can play on whatever role they like and still complete 99% of the available content?

I understand how hard it is to change your mindset after being used to do things in a certain way for so long, but to me the fact that tanks are more necessary than before (and nowhere near as much as some people want to make it look like) can only be a positive thing for the health of the game.

Aside from this premise anyway, you're talking about benefit for other jobs who go /NIN.
How would that be a buff or an adjustment to the NIN job as a main job?
We change something to NIN so you can enjoy not playing it and go /NIN on other jobs more often?

With the further premise that until we see what they REALLY done to Utsusemi is too early to get to conclusions, my thought is still the same it's been the past few years.
The only way to "fix" a job that has two distinct roles as NIN (Tank and DD) can ONLY be fixed by fixing the two stances that define those two roles: Innin and Yonin.
No other generic fix is going to change things to a decent enough level.
If you fix one side, you break the other one, and vice-versa.

I don't get why they refuse to make Innin and especially Yonin finally viable instead than the semi-crap they are today.
Are they scared of NIN being too OP? lolz
inorite
By Kaerin 2015-05-12 10:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Are they scared of NIN being too OP? lolz
inorite

They probably are. People who played in 2004-06 remember how OP ninja was once they got decent gear, especially before the change to how shadows get taken (which honestly needs to be reversed for ninja main), the TP per hit nerf, the nerf to enmity loss when shadows get taken, etc. Then they buffed PLD and gave it atonement, and NIN got replaced by PLD/NIN til the second abyssea in 2011 or whatever, which just broke everything.