To DRK Or Not To DRK?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » to DRK or not to DRK?
to DRK or not to DRK?
First Page 2
 Asura.Maximos
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: UryuAsura
By Asura.Maximos 2015-01-14 21:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So from what I gather only a mythic DRK is viable currently, but can someone tell me this is not true with good reason? I just <3 DRK and wish it would be something played more. Beautiful job:D
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-01-14 21:33:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you enjoy the job? If yes, then play it, and if no, then don't. That's seriously all there is to this. Play what you like, and if you play it well, you should clear content only a little slower than the "OP" bandwagon jobs.
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 21:37:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you like cutting yourself?
Do your have fits of rage?
Can you concentrate so hard on aiming and powering up the world phases out due to fear causing your to "Miss"?

If you answer yes to all of these then you are a good drk candidate.
[+]
 Odin.Korebin
Server: Odin
user: Korebin
By Odin.Korebin 2015-01-14 22:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I love drk! Not sure how it is on your server, but I've had no problems with shouts for DD and being picked! My gear is nowhere near complete ATM,(working on stuff for mdt,pdt, and dark magic set.) All I can tell ya is be multi purposeful, get a good GS, and Scythe and your set! I've helped with stunning Tojil (though we have yet to kill the ***, but that's another story)
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 22:08:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Korebin said: »
I love drk! Not sure how it is on your server, but I've had no problems with shouts for DD and being picked! My gear is nowhere near complete ATM,(working on stuff for mdt,pdt, and dark magic set.) All I can tell ya is be multi purposeful, get a good GS, and Scythe and your set! I've helped with stunning Tojil (though we have yet to kill the ***, but that's another story)

Can only sound mean, no way around it... sorry in advance.

Your stunner sucks, if having help should not be failing OR your Damage sucks and stunner is hitting wall.

Average Drk sucks for tojil, from healer / support role they are too squishy actually most aoe heavy content. Drk is a hard one to play well enough to be relevant and ot just eat dirt all the time. I have had whms refuse to let drks join, lol sucks but the way it is.
[+]
By Davorin 2015-01-14 22:11:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Nazrious said: »
Can you concentrate so hard on aiming and powering up the world phases out due to fear causing your to "Miss"?

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2015-01-14 22:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Average Drk sucks for tojil, from healer / support role they are too squishy actually most aoe heavy content. Drk is a hard one to play well enough to be relevant and ot just eat dirt all the time. I have had whms refuse to let drks join, lol sucks but the way it is.

What game are you playing where DRK doesn't have access to most of the same gear as other not-squishy DD?

Sure, DRK may not be the DPS king that it used to be, but in no way is it anywhere near being a pushover defensively, especially compared to other DD on AOE-heavy mobs.
[+]
 Odin.Korebin
By Odin.Korebin 2015-01-14 22:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Can only sound mean, no way around it... sorry in advance.

Your stunner sucks, if having help should not be failing OR your Damage sucks and stunner is hitting wall.

Nahh, it's all good! We do it for fun in LS with members when we got nothing to do! So jobs selection is come with what ya got! We pretty much always make it to boss and "give it a shot no matter the setup." We do run into stuff sometimes, sometimes its stunning and sometimes it's DD, but we're all trying to learn it. Our main thing, is that when we run we have people its there first run, so we explain and no one get pissed when we lose. I've tried a few serious tries and the best I got was to like 5% when we timed out cuz a Lahar got off and killed a couple of the DD's. The goal is to get a group in the ls that can reliably take him down then move on to the next one. So far we can do 1-5 in Morimar and Ciezak pretty reliable, just need to get the strat down for the bosses.
 Sylph.Limlight
By Sylph.Limlight 2015-01-14 22:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Drk is fine, just don't expect to top the parse. Good players are good players. Let them play the jobs that they want.
[+]
 Asura.Celoria
user: celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2015-01-14 22:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Drk can still hammer out dmg without mythic,

Decently augmented Macbain does alright, you won't be beating koga sam's or thf's, but you will be able to hold your own. Torcleaver can help a sam double light and reso can still hit some good numbers.

Edit: 2hand ws will be updated here in the future, date hasn't been given out, but they will be updated, possibly bringing drk and war back.
 Odin.Korebin
By Odin.Korebin 2015-01-14 23:11:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Celoria said: »
2hand ws will be updated here in the future, date hasn't been given out, but they will be updated, possibly bringing drk and war back.
Would love to have the 99% acc. they gave to the on handers
 Cerberus.Neojuggernaut
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Neojuggernaut 2015-01-14 23:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Last Resort/Desperate Blows nerf didn't help DRKs...and that DEF down during TP phase gear is rough with LR up :(
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-14 23:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Davorin said: »

YouTube Video Placeholder
"Hey, when we hit, it's usually for good damage"

Best quote ever.....
 Asura.Celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2015-01-15 00:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Korebin said: »
Asura.Celoria said: »
2hand ws will be updated here in the future, date hasn't been given out, but they will be updated, possibly bringing drk and war back.
Would love to have the 99% acc. they gave to the on handers
Yes, Please.
Cerberus.Neojuggernaut said: »
Last Resort/Desperate Blows nerf didn't help DRKs...and that DEF down during TP phase gear is rough with LR up :(
SE needs to just say "F it!" To the LR def crash on drk, everything hits for way too much now, and that stupid Diabolic Eye HP down crap needs to go as well. Hopefully with the empy armor reforge we can get some gear that completely drops those two things.
By Nazrious 2015-01-15 00:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Xenhas said: »

What game are you playing where DRK doesn't have access to most of the same gear as other not-squishy DD?

Sure, DRK may not be the DPS king that it used to be, but in no way is it anywhere near being a pushover defensively, especially compared to other DD on AOE-heavy mobs.

All the emo and cutting causes them to take extra damage. Drks belong in closets locked away next to pups.

;p stop being so defensive makes u seem like you got a guilty conscience. I said your average drk, Since its so bandwagon, dunno wtf for but *shrug*, you get the "Pop everything, only to get shotted and eat dirt."

I get you have to defend your guilty little pleasure but hey least there will be more room in the closet! we got a lolpupdate!
 Sylph.Limlight
By Sylph.Limlight 2015-01-15 00:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

you guys are overthinking the LR def penalty. It's no different than berserk and with the amount of pdt/hybrid sets available it's never been an issue if you gear correctly.

Also macroing in fallen's sollerets reduces the penalty by 10%.
[+]
 Asura.Celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2015-01-15 00:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I get that LR works like berserk, still doesn't help the fact drk is overly squishy when buffed up. Why run a -pdt/hybrid full time just so you can LR? Hell I never even use Soul Eater on drk unless I pop Blood Weapon.

Why keep having to deck out in hybrid just so you don't die? Sam, thf, blu aren't needed hybrids to still DD, why should every job?

Edit: I use the fallen solleret in macro for LR as well. Helps some but.... still.
 Sylph.Limlight
By Sylph.Limlight 2015-01-15 00:20:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, drk is not overly squishy. I have no idea where you guys are getting this from? People who use non ilvl tp sets???? Seriously it isn't an issue.

I use SE everytime the timer is up. There's no reason not to if you have a halfway competent healer.
[+]
 Asura.Celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2015-01-15 00:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Limlight said: »
Again, drk is not overly squishy. I have no idea where you guys are getting this from? People who use non ilvl tp sets???? Seriously it isn't an issue.

I use SE everytime the timer is up. There's no reason not to if you have a halfway competent healer.

Cause healers aren't competent, they are abyssea burned spamming curaga V wondering why they run out of mp...

Yes I am full 119 drk with rag. Doesn't change the fact drk can still die faster than other jobs.
[+]
 Sylph.Limlight
By Sylph.Limlight 2015-01-15 00:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm sorry, but you're just wrong on this. I've taken drk into all content and never had any issue at all.
 Asura.Celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2015-01-15 00:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Praise be it to your whm's
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-15 00:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Limlight said: »

My whms rather not carry a squishy *** dd on their backs ty much.
*damn that was a *** statement lol*

Seriously Drk dies faster then other DD's you can try to swim in da river but eventually a croc will eat you. (Denile)
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2015-01-15 00:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Mythic does make DRK more fun. But if you know how to play the job, you can do a great deal of dmg w/o it. I didn't make mines cuz it was best weapon in the game. I made it cuz I enjoyed the job.
 Asura.Celoria
By Asura.Celoria 2015-01-15 00:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I play drk because it is a blast to play. Apoc, Rag, Lib are all fun and can all deal some good dmg. (Apoc not the greatest spike but that haste, hp replenish and mp replen if you have entroy.... fun...)
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-15 00:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Neboh said: »
Mythic does make DRK more fun. But if you know how to play the job, you can do a great deal of dmg w/o it. I didn't make mines cuz it was best weapon in the game. I made it cuz I enjoyed the job.

Not saying Drks can't dish out the damage, saying DEAD drks can't. unless they got raised and were undead... OK so DEAD Player Drks can't dish out damage, because you know Formors etc.

Edit: I'm really just joking around with you Drks, its all just for lulz not ceral.

or am I? Do I really just hate all of you and find pleasure in tormenting you?

Come on Drks, you guys are so paranoid!

stay frosty gentlemen I'm gettin tired.
 Lakshmi.Neboh
Server: Lakshmi
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2015-01-15 00:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I do agree though that at the moment, other jobs surpass the damage output of DRK. Am I butthurt? Not really. I still enjoy dealing dmg on DRK. When do incursion, I'm typically the last one to die. That's because I've learned to use PDT sets etc.

Summary: DRK is still fun to play with.
 Sylph.Limlight
By Sylph.Limlight 2015-01-15 01:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm really not seeing this "getting defensive" mentality that you're talking about. Just presenting some info.

Actually Drk white damage is still pretty beefy, we just get crushed on ws damage :(

And survival (even with SE use) it a non issue. I cannot stress this enough.

Adding to Neboh, Equipping your apoc for those types of situations and I 100% agree. If ***hits the fan, I'm still standing.
By Nazrious 2015-01-15 01:02:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Neboh said: »
I do agree though that at the moment, other jobs surpass the damage output of DRK. Am I butthurt? Not really. I still enjoy dealing dmg on DRK. When do incursion, I'm typically the last one to die. That's because I've learned to use PDT sets etc.

Summary: DRK is still fun to play with.

*mails a tiny baby panda to Neboh*

There it can give you hugs and make you happy... unless it suffocates... then you can just add it to your morbid collection of taxidermy animals.

Sicko Drks man! j/k j/k 8)

Drks do fine damage, actually like takin em to UNMs which tend to be less physical AOE and thus Drks can DD better.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-01-15 01:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

2015 and people still think Drks are squishy.
[+]
By Nazrious 2015-01-15 01:38:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
2015 and people still think Drks are squishy.

2015 and Drk's still think they are not squishy.
[+]
First Page 2