Does Anyone Like Rangers In Their (delve) Parties?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Does anyone like rangers in their (delve) parties?
Does anyone like rangers in their (delve) parties?
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-12-16 12:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It's got uses, it depends on your members.
RNG usually means 95% chance of win, but slow.

Marjami delve, and Kamhir delve. Ceizak delve too.

Couple high-tier fights. Gessho/Stellar/Celestial/AA/DM anything were you want to avoid the broken AoE damage.
 Odin.Jsmooth
Server: Odin
By Odin.Jsmooth 2014-12-16 13:06:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Majority of dd jobs are niche job's, and rng is def one worth having. Gogogo!
By Pantafernando 2014-12-16 13:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

what about celestial nexus, ouryu and ark taru?
By Zoltar 2014-12-16 13:10:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Our shell always brings Rangers to Delve
 Odin.Jsmooth
By Odin.Jsmooth 2014-12-16 13:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer a dd set up with Ouryu over rngs. Takes to long! AA's are usuallly done with rng's due to low risk of failing, although some swear by dd's /nin for them for faster kills.

Variety of ways to clear content.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-12-16 13:22:39
Link | Quote | Reply

We use Rangers for Ceizak, Kahmir, and Marj Ravine delve, as well as DM. The rest we use more melee based builds.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-12-16 13:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Or any parties at all? When I left ranger was seen as a liability in a composition (during abyssea) in all but the most niche situation.

With another expansion and updates to items and levels and etc I am wondering for end game content is ranger a useful job now and if so in what facet?

Yes, RNG actually became a heavily used bandwagon job starting around the time the first high tier battlefield fights (AAs/DM) were released and continuing into Delve 2.0.

That's both good and bad if you want to play RNG: good in the sense that people are very accepting of the job in the cookie cutter strategies that they follow (particularly for /shout groups), bad in the sense that there's a lot of competition and you'll be expected to have pretty good gear to be on par.

Some people will try to insist on relic gun RNG only and turn down those without it. Annihilator is definitely useful (mainly for the spectacular enmity mitigation of Coronach alongside strong damage), but by all means not required. I personally use a JSE gun and I'm able to hang in there with the relic RNGs (and I very frequently outparse the random relic holders who aren't that great at the job).

RNG does require a bit more technique than most DD jobs though. You have to get good at timing manual shots to maximize damage over time. You also have to know how to use your positioning and enmity abilities: decoy shot (need to be lined up behind the tank) is vital, camouflage is useful, and you should have a good sense of when you're riding the line of pulling hate. Enmity control became a LOT more important for Adoulin era RNG than it was for past FFXI times. All of this is made more dummy-proof with relic, which is kind of why some people insist on it. But a SMART non-relic RNG does fine in any content where RNG is useful.

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
It's got uses, it depends on your members.
RNG usually means 95% chance of win, but slow.

Marjami delve, and Kamhir delve. Ceizak delve too.

Couple high-tier fights. Gessho/Stellar/Celestial/AA/DM anything were you want to avoid the broken AoE damage.

Agreed with all of that, except I've never seen anyone use RNG on Gessho fight, instead I've always seen more NIN and THF heavy setups (not that a RNG strat couldn't work).

RNG is also viable for Incursion bosses, from what people have told me it's the common Japanese strategy (but not used too often in the typical non-JP groups I've seen).
 Ragnarok.Fabiano
Server: Ragnarok
user: fabiano
By Ragnarok.Fabiano 2014-12-16 14:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

melee rng/dnc with last stand or jr isnt that bad , need to figure out a trueflight set ... maybe its wortth it
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-12-16 15:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG/DNC with JR "isn't bad" is fun as hell lol! But only where enmity doesn't matter aka: solo/Ceizak =/

My page has Trueflight/Wildfire set. It's only REALLY good, for Kamhir drits and Mastop.

Sombra+1 Harness is not listed yet on ah, scragg is MIA, but Sombra is BiS.

Below, had forgotten, you're correct, just never taken ranger to skirmish.
 Odin.Jsmooth
By Odin.Jsmooth 2014-12-16 15:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Wildfire also burns mobs pretty quick in Outer Raz skirm.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-12-16 15:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i use rng on marjami delve, kamihr delve, ark angels and DM, geshho

melee setups are potentially better for everything(except maybe geshho vd), but most people don't have a perfect group and/or don't want to have to focus heavily, so rng still gets a lot of play
 Valefor.Slore
Server: Valefor
user: Slore
By Valefor.Slore 2014-12-16 15:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

We did all our Gessho fights with rng. PLD, RDM OR WHM, RNGX3 AND BRD. got all our heads that way.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-12-16 16:50:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even close. haste/march melees are broken as ***.

Ranger shoots much slower and ws's weaker than pretty much any DD even a WHM/DNC.

RNG is for safety/avoidance/sure-thing not damage
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-16 16:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

to put in perspective pld+rng on something like marjami is a bit slower than 2x sam in the same run by about 8 minutes on avg but 100% fool proof