New RNG.
 Ragnarok.Illumin
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: sylvanica
By Ragnarok.Illumin 2014-07-25 09:32:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all!

I am returning from an extended break and working on taking my RNG from 75 to 99. I have some RNG gear from COR, but I honestly have no idea what my 'upgrade path' should be once I hit 99. I have no abyssea gear for RNG. I do have manibozho equipment, including the gloves with some upgrades already.

For instance, which AF/relic pieces are the best to reforge first?

I don't think I have it in me (yet) to get a relic, so is the JSE gun an okay substitute? I feel that I should get good equipment in all the other slots before spending forever on a relic.

Any and all help is most helpful.
 Ragnarok.Legendarycloud
By Ragnarok.Legendarycloud 2014-07-25 09:54:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The JSE gun should be fine to get you by. In terms of gear I believe the relic reforge head is arguably the most important piece of rng reforge.

Depending on how serious you want to get about rng you should probably quest all your AF as I *think (on my phone right now so can't check so easily) all the AF pieces have uses for macro pieces at the very least.

The ranger guide in the forum here has optimal gear sets that you should aim for. Try to check off the pieces as you get them :)

Some of the Aetosaur pieces are easy, quick upgrades that you could use as well as some of the eminent armor from the Records of Eminence npc. If you have trouble finding the aetosaur gear on AH you can bring me the mats and I could synth them for you.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-07-25 09:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

JSE gun is good.
For AF/Relic Gear
Relic Head
AF and Relic Body
Relic Hands (AF if you want the extra shot on Barrage)
Relic Legs
Relic Feet

Abyssea gear, go get The Emp+2 head and body, for use in a preshot set, so you shoot faster. Get as much snapshot gear as you can for your preshot.

There is a good guide, Ranger Guide, than you can reference for most questions.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-07-25 10:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

You could get the Gun and use Last Stand, as you probably already have it for COR. That being said, most non-relic rangers use a 119 bow and Jishnu's Radiance.

Truth is, Bow ranger can deal more damage than a relic gun ranger.. the average bow ranger just pulls significantly more hate so they have to hold themselves back. that or they don't have the gearsets for it as its harder to hit your x-hit with the lower delay on bow/arrows. Really good rangers are effective with either one however.

There are a few options for 119 bows.. Delve v2 Bow, Tenzen Bow, kamhir drifts Delve boss bow, and skirmish 119.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Illumin
By Ragnarok.Illumin 2014-07-25 10:02:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the responses so far! :) I saw the ranger guide, but it seems out of date, since it doesn't talk at all about the JSE gun or AF/relic+1.

Ragnarok.Legendarycloud said: »
Depending on how serious you want to get about rng you should probably quest all your AF as I *think (on my phone right now so can't check so easily) all the AF pieces have uses for macro pieces at the very least.
Do you mean reforged AF? I have all the AF stored somewhere.
 Ragnarok.Illumin
By Ragnarok.Illumin 2014-07-25 10:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Reichleiu said: »
You could get the Gun and use Last Stand, as you probably already have it for COR. That being said, most non-relic rangers use a 119 bow and Jishnu's Radiance.

Truth is, Bow ranger can deal more damage than a relic gun ranger.. the average bow ranger just pulls significantly more hate so they have to hold themselves back. that or they don't have the gearsets for it as its harder to hit your x-hit with the lower delay on bow/arrows. Really good rangers are effective with either one however.

There are a few options for 119 bows.. Delve v2 Bow, Tenzen Bow, kamhir drifts Delve boss bow, and skirmish 119.
I'd honestly prefer to use a bow if possible. I have 8/8 marksmanship merits and 5/5 Last Stand, but merits are easy to come by. The problem is that getting into Delve / Tenzen / etc. is going to be nigh impossible on my newb RNG.
 Asura.Reichleiu
Server: Asura
user: Reichleiu
By Asura.Reichleiu 2014-07-25 10:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Illumin said: »
Asura.Reichleiu said: »

I'd honestly prefer to use a bow if possible. I have 8/8 marksmanship merits and 5/5 Last Stand, but merits are easy to come by. The problem is that getting into Delve / Tenzen / etc. is going to be nigh impossible on my newb RNG.

You have BRD WHM and COR 99.. you can get into any new delve and / or Tenzen to get your bow. You don't have to do it on RNG. Heck, Tenzen is a melee zerg anyway.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Illumin
By Ragnarok.Illumin 2014-07-25 10:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

But they aren't reforged-geared or anything. They have moderately good gear from last summer. I don't know that that matters so much for COR/BRD but I have no reforged WHM equipment.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
Server: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2014-07-25 10:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

But they aren't reforged-geared or anything. They have moderately good gear from last summer. I don't know that that matters so much for COR/BRD but I have no reforged WHM equipment.

If your whm was well equipped back then it'll suffice now. Only a few pieces are worth getting, and even then it's more like icing on the cake and you can easily function well without.

Cor no one really ever cares about (apart from the career cors, which are so rare that you probably won't find any of those apart from in the forums.) so you can probably go close to naked. There are more pieces that are good for bard, but most are only really needed for an macc set (which you probably do for tenzen/delve, but not so much for AAs - so if you want to get some papers for reforge bard is workable without)
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-07-25 10:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

COR is simple, and often relegated to mules. Most groups will bring you along naked so long as you keep appropriate rolls up full time.
[+]