Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » More RNG advice needed
More RNG advice needed
By Zoltar 2014-06-11 09:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Having problems with my dps and number of shots fired. Falling way down on the parses and pretty embarrassed.

I have a good snapshot set and a good mid-shot set. My barrage and coronach sets are also above average. My major problem is that I'm not firing enough or fast enough if that makes sense. As soon as I see my TP bar raise I'm hitting my /ra macro, but I'm STILL firing a ton less than others.

My questions:

Which timers should I be riding hard?
Did anyone have a similar problem and was it gear or macro/timing-related.

I'm not gonna lie, the rangers in my shell are pretty badass, and I'm just trying to keep up. All advice appreciated!
By Zoltar 2014-06-11 09:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll add that I don't nearly ride Double Shot as often as I should. Could that be my main issue?
 Cerberus.Midgitis
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
By Cerberus.Midgitis 2014-06-11 10:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You've come to the right place. It seems everyone who posts on ffxiah is a ranger expert and better than everyone else!

But probably just doubleshot. Outside of better timing on /ra there isn't much more that can increase your shots per fight.

4 hit vs 5 hit can also be huge on a parse.
By kenshynofshiva 2014-06-11 10:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

A lot of people use automated firing so no human delay fumbling and max amount of snapshot gear and merits. Also curious about things like ja0wait effect on range attacks never used it but curious if it has an impact.
 Shiva.Hiep
Server: Shiva
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2014-06-11 10:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

kenshynofshiva said: »
A lot of people use automated firing so no human delay fumbling and max amount of snapshot gear and merits. Also curious about things like ja0wait effect on range attacks never used it but curious if it has an impact.

Automated firing? like some kind of program?
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2014-06-11 10:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everyone uses automated, I parse pretty high myself without it.

Timing your shots makes up for 90% of the parse imo, the rest is lucky barrage procs/snapshot/buffs etc. Knowing the exact moment you can start shooting again after your weaponskill animation, using a 4hit, doubleshot after you weaponskill, not using Zerk when the mob is at 10% in delve when you'll be hoofing it to the next mob just wasting your Zerk timer.

Edit: using /lockstyle so during regular ranged attacks you arent blinking and it's hard to tell when you can shoot again~
 Cerberus.Midgitis
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Midgitis 2014-06-11 10:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Hiep said: »
Automated firing? like some kind of program?

People lump everyone into a category of users because they use a program.

When in reality its probably a very small % that uses automated firing as it is ***most of the time.
[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2014-06-11 11:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

And they don't use gearswap or spellcast a lot of people I know of use many tools to get a head in this game. I just accept it. People never botted to claim NM either only the very few true story.

Wait how many have ask about autora that windower script that can be tweaked...

Also are using a snap shot gear set which can be used in a macro to increase your fire rate?

/console exec RNG_Preshot.txt

/ra <t>

/wait 1

/console exec RNG_TP.txt
 Shiva.Hiep
By Shiva.Hiep 2014-06-11 11:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What tools exactly? q.q If you're talking about windower's Auto RA, I heard that thing was pretty garbage. I pretty much agree with Greyfawk's post, it's all about timing/gearsets (depending on the situation) which wins the par. I only use windower macros if that counts (I'm clueless about gearswap/spellcast) and manually do my RAs; and still am always top or 2nd top RNG parser.
 Shiva.Hiep
By Shiva.Hiep 2014-06-11 11:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

And they don't use gearswap or spellcast a lot of people I know of use many tools to get a head in this game. I just accept it. People never botted to claim NM either only the very few true story.

Also are using a snap shot gear set which can be used in a macro to increase your fire rate?

/ra <t>

/wait 1

/console exec RNG_TP.txt

I personally don't like the /wait 1 thing. I just use 2 separate palettes, the first one which has preshot/has the /ra, and 2nd one with endshot gear.
By kenshynofshiva 2014-06-11 11:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Autora can be updated if you know what to tweak its not that hard I said a lot people use the tools just based on the traffic and downloads from the sites for sure. As well as cupper and other crap not all but quite a few...

Spellcast was pretty good Gearswap is kind of amazing tho to make the shooting process as smooth as butter both can be fully automated tho for sure.

Also having a programmable keyboard/mouse or controller can make difference all fits the bill.
By Zoltar 2014-06-11 11:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

/ra <t>

/wait 1

/console exec RNG_TP.txt

Yes this is what I use for my /ra macro.

Appreciate the replies. We're doing DMv2 tonight so I'm going to try to always keep Double Shot up and see if it makes a big difference. I think that's largely my problem. I think I've gotten a lot better on timing in recent weeks
By Zoltar 2014-06-11 11:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm here might as well ask, what are you all using for Group 1 merits? I'm 5/5 scavenge and 5/5 sharpshot.

Wondering if I should throw some of the sharpshots at unlimited shot which shares a timer with double shot...
 Carbuncle.Tronsy
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tronsy
By Carbuncle.Tronsy 2014-06-11 12:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Zoltar said: »
While I'm here might as well ask, what are you all using for Group 1 merits? I'm 5/5 scavenge and 5/5 sharpshot.

Wondering if I should throw some of the sharpshots at unlimited shot which shares a timer with double shot...

5/5 Rapid Shot
5/5 Unlimited Shot

5/5 Snapshot
5/5 Recycle

Not really much better then this imho. At least not in terms of DPS potential. Sharp sot merits are kind of a waste since you will want to couple it with barrage in most cases anyhow.
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-06-11 12:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sharpshot and Rapid shot.

Scavenge merits are worthless except for saving money.
Camouflage doesn't last long enough to make a difference
and Unlimited shot is useless because it shares a timer with Double shot not to mention the only time it was ever used was 1) Special ammunition (like the old Conquest arrows) and 2) Before we actually had Double Shot.
Didn't notice they actually made the merits effect double shot recast. I retract my last statement based on my own poor information.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-06-11 12:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Spathaian said: »

and Unlimited shot is useless because it shares a timer with Double shot not to mention the only time it was ever used was 1) Special ammunition (like the old Conquest arrows) and 2) Before we actually had Double Shot.
Didn't notice they actually made the merits effect double shot recast. I retract my last statement based on my own poor information.

They didn't change this. Unlimited Shot Merits only lower Unlimited Shot. Just tested to reconfirm.
[+]
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2014-06-11 12:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

They didn't change this. Unlimited Shot Merits only lower Unlimited Shot. Just tested to reconfirm.
Then I stick by my original statement and this means that for once BGwiki is off while the original wiki is spot on. lol
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-06-11 12:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Snapshot Merits and being 6/6 in snapshot gear go a long way in increasing your DPS.
The next is knowing when you can hit your /ra macro without getting the "Cannot perform that action" message. Like stated earlier, using /lockstyle will make this easier since you aren't blinking all the time.
I have not seen if you have a relic of not. If you don't, then you shouldn't expect to keep up with relic users. Even without relic procs on Barrage, the triple damage results in a 25% DPS increase for TP shots. If you do have a relic, its all about shooting as often as possible, and keeping your r.acc high.
By Zoltar 2014-06-11 13:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup, 119 Annihilator. Problem is I'm not shooting enough. Will update this after a couple DMv2's tonight.

My better RACC, less-STP set might still hurt me if we do D or VD tonight, that balance is hard depending on the content-level. It's a +39STP set compared to my ~45-50STP I use on 'Normal' battlefields.

Either way, going to redo some macros, ride Double Shot hard and hope for good Barrage processes :)

Appreciate everyone's input!
 Asura.Hoshiku
Server: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2014-06-11 13:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Dunno how different it will be but I hit my macro when I hear the noise for the shot (don't know if that's before or after you see the TP gain). I usually keep up with or outshoot other gun rangers when it comes to shots fired using sound as a reference point. I don't know if anyone I play with uses an automated firing program. Riding your doubleshot timer is probably the most important thing to do to increase total shots fired.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-06-11 13:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »

Timing your shots makes up for 90% of the parse imo, the rest is lucky barrage procs/snapshot/buffs etc. Knowing the exact moment you can start shooting again after your weaponskill animation, using a 4hit, doubleshot after you weaponskill, not using Zerk when the mob is at 10% in delve when you'll be hoofing it to the next mob just wasting your Zerk timer.

Edit: using /lockstyle so during regular ranged attacks you arent blinking and it's hard to tell when you can shoot again~

this, especially using /lockstyle.

Also when you're in a group of rangers who are evenly skilled and geared, what it comes down to who is luckiest with relic procs.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-06-11 13:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »

this, especially using /lockstyle.

Also when you're in a group of rangers who are evenly skilled and geared, what it comes down to who is luckiest with relic procs.
^ this. My shells Ranger group who all have fully geared it are always rotating in the top 3. I personally do not use autora or autows, im not certain if any of the other Rangers do or not.
 Carbuncle.Tronsy
Server: Carbuncle
user: Tronsy
By Carbuncle.Tronsy 2014-06-11 13:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

This is good to know actually! I was also under the impression that this had in fact been changed and was about to begin flipping merits into it. Guess they can just stay in scavenge now lol
By Zoltar 2014-06-11 20:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Update: Rode my Double Shot timer HARD and did a bit better with timing. Made the top 3 in dmg, shots and racc.

Should only do better now with practice and optimized gearsets. Best part was I used my extreme-racc set for both runs and didn't use my normal STP set.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-06-11 21:06:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Update: Rode my Double Shot timer HARD and did a bit better with timing. Made the top 3 in dmg, shots and racc.

Should only do better now with practice and optimized gearsets. Best part was I used my extreme-racc set for both runs and didn't use my normal STP set.

Cool deal. As you get more comfortable with when to shoot, and have good buffs, you can drop some r.acc for sTP to get yourself a steady 4-hit.
By Zoltar 2014-06-11 22:21:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a steady 4-hit, I just wasn't comfortable using during VD and D today, but I'll play around and find a good norm :)

Double Shot question: The Sylvan Gapette +2 (head), does it only have to be equipped when you activate Double Shot, ie: Arcadian Jerkin, or does it have to be equipped while firing?
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-06-11 22:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the double shot augment of the +2 head is -50enmity whereas the Arcadian Jerkin augment is a 5% chance of a double shot proc when the JA is not active.

Would seem you would probably need to wear it during double shot phase to take advantage of the -50enmity when double shot does occur. If you got a relic you can wear Caban+2 as well and hope for the rare 5 xDMG proc.