U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
U.S. Climate Has Already Changed, Study Finds
First Page 2 ... 44 45 46
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-08 22:17:30
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/07/science/earth/climate-change-report.html?_r=3

A very extensive report, known as the National Climate Assessment, was released earlier this week. Nothing in the report is particularly surprising, but its presentation for the general public, here, is incredibly impressive. (Not all government website releases are a disaster!)

If hardcore technical reports aren't your thing, the highlights portion of the site breaks each section down as plainly as possible, is extensively cited, and makes no secret the level of uncertainty inherent in current findings. The site is really quite fantastic, and I would encourage anyone with genuine interest, skepticism, and/or curiosity in U.S. climate change to *** around in it for a while. (Of course, if well-substantiated, easily digestible scientific communications aren't your thing, there's always this.)

Perhaps, the most poignant message arising from the report is summarized in this quote from the article:
Quote:
The report pointed out that while the country as a whole still had no comprehensive climate legislation, many states and cities had begun to take steps to limit emissions and to adapt to climatic changes that can no longer be avoided. But the report found that these efforts were inadequate.
I don't really consider myself a policy person so... what do?

Edit: Also of note is the high diversity of those involved. Largely scientists, of course, but representative of a wide swath of interests, including some oil companies.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-08 22:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait for science to fix it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-08 22:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

As I've stated in the past, I have no qualms with climate change. However, is there anything in that report that actually has hard data to suggest that the shown climate change is man-made?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-08 22:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
Wait for science to fix it.
You are science. So in a way you are directly responsible for fixing it.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-08 22:54:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
As I've stated in the past, I have no qualms with climate change. However, is there anything in that report that actually has hard data to suggest that the shown climate change is man-made?
The basic explanation is found here and a more extensive summary can be found within the report itself under Supplemental Messages 1 and 4.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-08 23:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Funny cause I was watching this, and I was like; you know AH needs more climate change discussions.

Also Bill Nye mentally backhanded Cupp and Heritage Foundation guy.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-05-08 23:01:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Its called Climate Disruption now. Global warming and climate change failed to sway the weather from acting like it has for thousands of years. With the coldest winter in 30ish yrs people are questioning the whole notion. "AGAIN" Its like the climate/weather has cycles and man can do nothing about it.

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-2014-Winter-Temperatures.png
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-08 23:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The basic explanation is found here and a more extensive summary can be found within the report itself under Supplemental Messages 1 and 4.

Thanks. I don't need the pretty charts and explanations and would just prefer data, but that's a start.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-08 23:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Its called Climate Disruption now. Global warming and climate change failed to sway the weather from acting like it has for thousands of years. With the coldest winter in 30ish yrs people are questioning the whole notion. "AGAIN" Its like the climate/weather has cycles and man can do nothing about it.

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/2013-2014-Winter-Temperatures.png
The U.S. is not the globe.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/13

Climate disruption is a more accurate term now that more and more abnormal climate events can be tied to the overall warming trends.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-08 23:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

And yet it's still cold in Antarctica. Explain THAT, science.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-08 23:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Why is the heart of Africa warm gray like the poles? Legend has no reference.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-08 23:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Gray is missing data.

Edit: added a source
By Altimaomega 2014-05-08 23:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The U.S. is not the globe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/07/science/earth/climate-change-report.html?_r=3

A very extensive report, known as the National Climate Assessment, was released earlier this week. Nothing in the report is particularly surprising, but its presentation for the general public, here, is incredibly impressive. (Not all government website releases are a disaster!)

If hardcore technical reports aren't your thing, the highlights portion of the site breaks each section down as plainly as possible, is extensively cited, and makes no secret the level of uncertainty inherent in current findings. The site is really quite fantastic, and I would would encourage anyone with genuine interest, skepticism, and/or curiosity in U.S. climate change to *** around in it for a while. (Of course, if well-substantiated, easily digestible scientific communications aren't your thing, there's always this.)

Perhaps, the most poignant message arising from the report is summarized in this quote from the article:
Quote:
The report pointed out that while the country as a whole still had no comprehensive climate legislation, many states and cities had begun to take steps to limit emissions and to adapt to climatic changes that can no longer be avoided. But the report found that these efforts were inadequate.
I don't really consider myself a policy person so... what do?

Edit: Also of note is the high diversity of those involved. Largely scientists, of course, but representative of a wide swath of interests, including some oil companies.

Not only is your link Not the globe it takes data from 1991-2012 average temperature compared with 1901-1960 average And can only say +2 degree's different!

You people call me dumb ffs..

Edit: also the globe pic you have jan-nov... bet if dec was in there it would look A LOT differnet.

Edit again:But hey don't let those little things stop you from believing something that still cannot be proven and let the regulations fly!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-08 23:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

http://m.natgeotv.com/ca/six_degrees

But all it takes is +5 to end civilization as we currently know it...or so they say.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-08 23:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Totes different.

2 degree difference on average across the country is a substantial change.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-05-08 23:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Two degrees is quite a difference. But on that note...

1991-2012 average temperature compared with 1901-1960 average

This did bother me a tad. It left out a 30-year span for comparison, and statistically speaking it's not fair to compare samples with such a large difference in sample size, hence my desire to see the hard data. I can't look at a lot of this stuff and say for sure that it's statistically significant against reasonable alpha and beta values.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-08 23:55:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's let Climate Change/Global Warming/Climate Disruption/Koch Brothers Bane go on just long enough for my Family's Holdings in Florida to mature into beachfront property.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-09 00:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Global warming debates always remind me of this

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-05-09 00:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Two degrees is quite a difference. But on that note...

1991-2012 average temperature compared with 1901-1960 average

This did bother me a tad. It left out a 30-year span for comparison, and statistically speaking it's not fair to compare samples with such a large difference in sample size, hence my desire to see the hard data. I can't look at a lot of this stuff and say for sure that it's statistically significant against reasonable alpha and beta values.

But they called it science and they are scientist so its perfectly okay. /sarcasm
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-09 00:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't we just have a discussion on how to use the sarcasm tags...
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-09 00:17:55
Link | Quote | Reply

and one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-09 00:19:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll point out that every scientist who has ever spoken out against Global Warming, a group representing 8% of the community, has been traced directly back to Koch Industries.

This Waltz sounds a lot like the tune danced to during the Leaded Gasoline fight back in 50's-60's.

But then again, history only repeats itself if you ignore it right?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-09 00:26:39
Link | Quote | Reply

So is global warming real or not?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-09 00:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
So is global warming real or not?

Depends on how you define the issue.

Is the planet getting hotter? Undeniably.

Is it a Significant Threat? To Some, not to others.

Is it Accelerated by Mankind to a significant degree? Data Insufficient.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-05-09 00:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I'll point out that every scientist who has ever spoken out against Global Warming, a group representing 8% of the community, has been traced directly back to Koch Industries.

This Waltz sounds a lot like the tune danced to during the Leaded Gasoline fight back in 50's-60's.

So your totally okay with the massive data discrepancy just because some article blames the koch brothers?

Mark Twain — History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-09 00:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it Accelerated by Mankind to a significant degree? Data Insufficient.
This the one we need to get definitive data on then.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-09 00:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

So your totally okay with the massive data discrepancy just because some article blames the koch brothers?

How do you get that from what he wrote?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-09 00:37:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course I'm not okay with the data discrepancy, I believe that the data is insufficient. Unfortunately, by the time we have an effective sample size it may be too late.

I'm also not blind to the fact that some "Green Energy" Companies are making a killing off of the "Global Warming" panic machine.

But here's some food for thought; What's more likely, that 92% of the scientific community is in on the world's largest conspiracy ever devised, or that a small group of massively wealthy billionaires are attempting to protect their industry?
By Altimaomega 2014-05-09 00:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

How do you not?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-05-09 00:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

How do you not?

Because he is sane.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 44 45 46