Chick-Fil-A Scandal V2.0 With Firefox CEO

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Chick-Fil-A Scandal v2.0 with Firefox CEO
Chick-Fil-A Scandal v2.0 with Firefox CEO
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Sylph.Shipp
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-01 20:05:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Waffless said: »
Sylph.Shipp said: »
Ragnarok.Azryel said: »
Anyone who is against same sex unions in this day and age(just because of some book, and genuinely not because of personal choice) is a *** moron.

Look at all that tolerance!

Also, the Chik-Fil-A "scandal" resulted in the least successful boycott in the history of mankind, so clearly only a small segment of the population views the value of traditional marriage as a call to arms.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/chick-fil-tops-kfc-top-chicken-chain-23146211

Do you also ask where the tolerance is when people make similar comments about racists?

"You should be tolerant of their intolerance!"

Also, Chik-fil-a's Dan Cathy publicly apologized for what he had done. I wouldn't say that's not successful. As someone else said, the point of a boycott isn't to bankrupt who you're boycotting.

Just in my opinion (if that's ok with you?) if they really feel that way besides religion then that's genuine to me(even though that's just as ignorant and stupid) So yeah that's what I think, deal with it if you don't like it.

I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to the guy accusing you of being intolerant of intolerance.

Quote:
Both ends of the spectrum are wrong, in my humblest of opinions. I couldn't care less what homosexuals do with themselves, and I don't care who supports or condemns them: it's none of my business. I am curious though as to why "gay marriage" is always a forerunner of conversation when our society is having a slew of more tangible problems to discuss... Semantically speaking, this isn't even an "equality" issue, because that would mean that everyone and everything would be able to get married: gays, polygamists, a dude and his cat, etc., and that's not what's being proposed, which is why I don't think it has a leg to stand on being argued from such a position... It's "selective" equality, it's a "this one group only" proposition, and that doesn't allow everyone in our country to get married, which is what they're professing is an inalienable human right. Do you see the double standard? I do.

When cats start making legal medical decisions to pull the plug of life support, maybe then you'll have a leg to stand on.

Your paragraph comes off as very ignorant of why gay marriage is important to many people. And yes, it is an equality issue. Why should I have to fight for the rights of others before I even have my own equal rights? Why can I not be fighting for both gay rights and polygamists to get married at the same time? What does one have to do with the other? I obviously want gay marriage. I also have no problem with polygamists. If that relationship dynamic works for all consenting adults involved, more power to them.

But I guess women shouldn't have obtained equal rights since that didn't cover all minorities. Or blacks shouldn't have obtained equal rights since that didn't cover all minorities. That's basically what you just said about gays having no leg to stand on since gay marriage doesn't cover all minorities.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-01 20:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone who is against same sex unions in this day and age(just because of some book, and genuinely not because of personal choice) is a *** moron.

Do you tolerate white supremacists, racists, bigots and jihadists?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-01 20:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

um read my next post..

Read the quote train, I'm not talking about you.
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 20:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

um read my next post..

Want a kiss? (clicked on it by mistake)
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-01 20:12:40
Link | Quote | Reply

um read my next post..

Only if we're gay married first.
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 20:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

um read my next post..

Only if we're gay married first.

fabulous!
 Ragnarok.Azryel
Server: Ragnarok
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2014-04-01 20:26:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Certainly not. There's numerous sorts of people I wish didn't even exist: rapists, murderers, pedophiles, thieves, racists, the Westboro Baptist Church, etc., etc... I am completely intolerant of them. My initial response was meant to be taken as satirical in nature and was based on my personal experience with proponents of gay marriage preaching the tolerance and equality card right before they hurl profanity... Perhaps I was painting with too broad of a brush? I'm definitely capable of being incorrect, and I don't have any problems admitting when I am, but based on the bold declaration of the statement I don't think that's the case here.

In all fairness though, I'd post a snarky comment in response to just about anything even if I did happen to agree on a particular stance if the speaker were overtly rude, crass, and/or resulted in name calling instead of letting the validity of their argument speak for itself...
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-01 20:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Certainly not. There's numerous sorts of people I wish didn't even exist: rapists, murderers, pedophiles, thieves, racists, the Westboro Baptist Church, etc., etc... I am completely intolerant of them. My initial response was meant to be taken as satirical in nature and was based on my personal experience with proponents of gay marriage preaching the tolerance and equality card right before they hurl profanity... Perhaps I was painting with too broad of a brush? I'm definitely capable of being incorrect, and I don't have any problems admitting when I am, but based on the bold declaration of the statement I don't think that's the case here.

In all fairness though, I'd post a snarky comment in response to just about anything even if I did happen to agree on a particular stance if the speaker were overtly rude, crass, and/or resulted in name calling instead of letting the validity of their argument speak for itself...

To reiterate: Both sides of this particular argument are morons, if you do not like my opinion then (edit).

Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2014-04-01 20:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Is anyone still using a dell from 2003 and really worried about not having enough ram with one tab open? Firefox somewhatmaster race
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-04-01 20:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh lawd, "tolerance of intolerance" again. Being intolerant of an idea is not the same as being intolerant of people.

Think of it this way. All people are of inherently equal "personhood." Sally is no more "personey" than Joe. Similarly, ideas are of inherently equal "ideahood." But personhood is more important than ideahood; it carries a certain number of natural rights which can't be taken away without a thoroughly reasonable cause (so only the most tested of ideas can be allowed to interfere with the rights of personhood). By default, these rights include everything that does not interfere with or harm another person.

Let's say you and I are neighbors. I am forbidden from setting your house on fire because, not only would this act cause harm to you, I have no reason for wanting to light you up that could possibly justify such an interference in your life. If I do it anyway, I give up some of my rights and go to prison. You (and the police) were justified in interfering in my life because I had shown a disregard for yours. I lost my rights for disregarding your right to do harmless things like... own a house next to mine.

Now let's look at the LGBT thing. You and I are both on equal footing as members of the "personhood" club. I stay out of your way, you stay out of mine. One day, you get an idea in your head that my enjoyment of penis makes me less worthy of the full rights of personhood than everyone else; you want to interfere in my affairs by stopping me from doing something (get married, drink out of the same water fountain, whatever). So let's look at this idea of yours. Maybe I should be stopped?

Do any of the things that you would stop me from doing cause any harm to you or anyone else? No. Have I stopped respecting your personhood by interfering in your life? No again. Your interference in my life is therefore unwarranted and constitutes an intolerance of my "personhood." You are nonetheless free to continue lobbying against me, but this is the extent to which free speech and tolerance can be expected to protect this idea of yours. Notice that I've used the word "idea" here--though I may oppose your campaign, it is your idea that ultimately comes under fire. Not you personally. This is where our respective "intolerances" differ. Tolerance stretches further for people than it does for ideologies.

You attack my personhood, I attack your idea. You want to stop me from doing XYZ, but all I want is to stop you from stopping me. Stop pretending it's the same.

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-01 23:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Not going to stop using the best browser out there just because the company who made it's CEO was at one time a bigot, and even apologized for it, this is really nothing like the stupid shitty chicken incident.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-01 23:48:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said: »
Is anyone still using a dell from 2003 and really worried about not having enough ram with one tab open? Firefox somewhatmaster race

Hey, leave the Dimensions out of this!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-01 23:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you also intolerant of fecalpheliacs, dendrophiliacs, and ephebophiliacs etc etc?
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-02 00:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Are you also intolerant of fecalpheliacs, dendrophiliacs, and ephebophiliacs etc etc?
The absolute worst are those darned hemophiliacs.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-02 17:09:24
Link | Quote | Reply

People who like people who have a blood clotting disorder?
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2014-04-02 17:10:32
Link | Quote | Reply

People who like people who have a blood clotting disorder?

They're clearly just trying to push their alternative lifestyle onto the rest of us.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-02 17:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

The CEO released a statement on his official blog brendaneich.com

Quote:

I am deeply honored and humbled by the CEO role. I’m also grateful for the messages of support. At the same time, I know there are concerns about my commitment to fostering equality and welcome for LGBT individuals at Mozilla. I hope to lay those concerns to rest, first by making a set of commitments to you. More important, I want to lay them to rest by actions and results.

A number of Mozillians, including LGBT individuals and allies, have stepped forward to offer guidance and assistance in this. I cannot thank you enough, and I ask for your ongoing help to make Mozilla a place of equality and welcome for all. Here are my commitments, and here’s what you can expect:

Active commitment to equality in everything we do, from employment to events to community-building.
Working with LGBT communities and allies, to listen and learn what does and doesn’t make Mozilla supportive and welcoming.
My ongoing commitment to our Community Participation Guidelines, our inclusive health benefits, our anti-discrimination policies, and the spirit that underlies all of these.
My personal commitment to work on new initiatives to reach out to those who feel excluded or who have been marginalized in ways that makes their contributing to Mozilla and to open source difficult. More on this last item below.

I know some will be skeptical about this, and that words alone will not change anything. I can only ask for your support to have the time to “show, not tell”; and in the meantime express my sorrow at having caused pain.

Mozilla is a movement composed of different people around the world, working productively together on a common mission. This is important to our ability to work and grow around the world.

Many Mozillians and others know me as a colleague or a friend. They know that I take people as they come and work with anyone willing to contribute. At the same time, I don’t ask for trust free of context, or without a solid structure to support accountability. No leader or person who has a privileged position should. I want to be held accountable for what I do as CEO. I fully expect you all to do so.

I am committed to ensuring that Mozilla is, and will remain, a place that includes and supports everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, economic status, or religion.

You will see exemplary behavior from me toward everyone in our community, no matter who they are; and the same toward all those whom we hope will join, and for those who use our products. Mozilla’s inclusive health benefits policies will not regress in any way. And I will not tolerate behavior among community members that violates our Community Participation Guidelines or (for employees) our inclusive and non-discriminatory employment policies.

You’ll also see more from Mozilla under my leadership in the way of efforts to include potential contributors, especially those who lack privilege. This entails several projects, starting with Project Ascend, which is being developed by Lukas Blakk. I intend to demonstrate with meaningful action my commitment to a Mozilla that lives up to its ideals, including that of being an open and inclusive community.

/be
 Sylph.Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-02 17:15:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
The CEO released a statement on his official blog brendaneich.com

Quote:

I am deeply honored and humbled by the CEO role. I’m also grateful for the messages of support. At the same time, I know there are concerns about my commitment to fostering equality and welcome for LGBT individuals at Mozilla. I hope to lay those concerns to rest, first by making a set of commitments to you. More important, I want to lay them to rest by actions and results.

A number of Mozillians, including LGBT individuals and allies, have stepped forward to offer guidance and assistance in this. I cannot thank you enough, and I ask for your ongoing help to make Mozilla a place of equality and welcome for all. Here are my commitments, and here’s what you can expect:

Active commitment to equality in everything we do, from employment to events to community-building.
Working with LGBT communities and allies, to listen and learn what does and doesn’t make Mozilla supportive and welcoming.
My ongoing commitment to our Community Participation Guidelines, our inclusive health benefits, our anti-discrimination policies, and the spirit that underlies all of these.
My personal commitment to work on new initiatives to reach out to those who feel excluded or who have been marginalized in ways that makes their contributing to Mozilla and to open source difficult. More on this last item below.

I know some will be skeptical about this, and that words alone will not change anything. I can only ask for your support to have the time to “show, not tell”; and in the meantime express my sorrow at having caused pain.

Mozilla is a movement composed of different people around the world, working productively together on a common mission. This is important to our ability to work and grow around the world.

Many Mozillians and others know me as a colleague or a friend. They know that I take people as they come and work with anyone willing to contribute. At the same time, I don’t ask for trust free of context, or without a solid structure to support accountability. No leader or person who has a privileged position should. I want to be held accountable for what I do as CEO. I fully expect you all to do so.

I am committed to ensuring that Mozilla is, and will remain, a place that includes and supports everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, ethnicity, economic status, or religion.

You will see exemplary behavior from me toward everyone in our community, no matter who they are; and the same toward all those whom we hope will join, and for those who use our products. Mozilla’s inclusive health benefits policies will not regress in any way. And I will not tolerate behavior among community members that violates our Community Participation Guidelines or (for employees) our inclusive and non-discriminatory employment policies.

You’ll also see more from Mozilla under my leadership in the way of efforts to include potential contributors, especially those who lack privilege. This entails several projects, starting with Project Ascend, which is being developed by Lukas Blakk. I intend to demonstrate with meaningful action my commitment to a Mozilla that lives up to its ideals, including that of being an open and inclusive community.

/be
Whether he sincerely means it or not, it doesn't really matter. It was his own private money he used, not profits from a business. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, to be honest. He doesn't seem like a bad person.

Still using firefox. This is a whole lot of nothing, imo. This isn't even comparable to the Chick-fil-a situation.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-02 18:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm so outraged that I'm using Firefox as we speak !
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-03 15:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The guy resigned. Wimp.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/03/technology/mozilla-ceo/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-03 15:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll still use Firefox. In fact I'm going to encourage all of you to do the same.

You don't have to agree with the politics of a web browser the last time I checked.

I'm sure I don't agree with many of the companies I buy things from. I'm not about to start boycotting them.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-03 15:40:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I am ignoring your advice and continuing to boycott walmart, EA, the white sox, and NBC.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-03 15:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'll still use Firefox. In fact I'm going to encourage all of you to do the same.
>2014
>Still using firefox
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-03 15:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I am ignoring your advice and continuing to boycott walmart, EA, the white sox, and NBC.
lol... how'd the white sox make it in there?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-03 15:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see Wal Mart. I agree with you there.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-03 15:49:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just use Palemoon

Compatible with all mozilla ad-ons, loads faster/runs smoother.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-03 15:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

There's a bit of a difference between disagreeing with the politics of a company's CEO and willingly supporting a company that is measurably evil.

I'm speaking about EA, by the way.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-03 15:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
lol... how'd the white sox make it in there?

Their existence is a blight on baseball.
-cubs fan
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11