Killing Ifrit is Dead
First Page 2 3
 Cerberus.Kodaijin
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kodaijin
By Cerberus.Kodaijin 2014-03-19 22:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I didnt see any mentions of this but Killingifrit.com is shutting down. So much history saved on that site...

[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-03-19 22:36:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought it died back in like 2007~2008 or some time around then haha

And the drama on some of the server threads drawfs any drama I ever seen on ffxiah lol (my server was really bad for drama)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-03-19 22:37:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Was the first FFXI fansite I ever visited and followed. R.I.P.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-03-19 22:40:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Aw, a lot of good memories there. I stopped going after that huge slowdown, was too much to wait 10 years per page lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Aselin
Server: Bismarck
user: Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-19 22:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

As one of the mods for Killing Ifrit, a part of me is sad to see it go.

When I quit FFXI in 2010 before returning in Spring of 2013 (then deactivating again in December 2013, and returning by end of January 2014), it was also the same time I stopped visiting Killing Ifrit. I think a lot of KI's community dwindled shortly after that. Now, I'm on this site more often than other FFXI-related community sites.

Those on FFXIAH that used to frequent Killing Ifrit probably knew me in some way, or met me through Killing Ifrit. A lot of fond memories-- good and bad, and funny.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-03-19 23:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

"For every death, there is a birth."

Damn you, Caitsith.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-03-19 23:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

fun fact: my first forum post ever was talking about how awesome great sword was on my lv 20 warrior
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-03-19 23:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanted to get Unaisis' (sp?) guide on how to rip models from ffxi and make my own ffxi movies but... I think it was pruned a while back. Guess I'll never find those programs he used...
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-19 23:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
I wanted to get Unaisis' (sp?) guide on how to rip models from ffxi and make my own ffxi movies but... I think it was pruned a while back. Guess I'll never find those programs he used...
Try these forum threads:

http://killingifrit.com/forums/topic/58446-custom-dats/

http://killingifrit.com/forums/topic/68808-ffxi-rendering
[+]
 Fenrir.Unaisis
Server: Fenrir
user: Sansui
By Fenrir.Unaisis 2014-03-20 00:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »

i'm still around XD

PM what you want to know and i may be able to point you in the right direction~

On topic tho~

I Will miss the good ol days of KI /cry! a lot of good (and bad) memories there! R.I.P!!!!
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-03-20 00:06:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I was wondering when this would happen. Sadly, the site hadn't been touched by users in several years.

I got started over there (and on forums in general) as a result of having a job that I did too efficiently and it being one of the few sites not blocked by my work's proxy.

Shame to see it go. I should probably back up my posts just for my own sake.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-03-20 00:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

KillingIfrit D:

One of the first sites I visited before moving on to ZAM and later XIAH and BG. Sad to see it go down. ;/
 Alexander.Carrelo
Server: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-03-20 00:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember during my first week playing, I saw a couple of people wearing a linkpearl called "KillingIfrit." Not knowing what a linkshell actually was back then, I thought it meant that they were on a quest to go kill Ifrit. I reeeeeeally wanted to see Ifrit, so I followed them through Ronfaure and La Theine before something eventually killed me.

I wondered for a long time if those two guys ever managed to beat Ifrit, who (I was later disappointed to learn) did not in fact live anywhere near La Theine Plateau. :<
[+]
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-20 00:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Feeling nostalgic seeing Unaisis' and Onorgul's names again-- two users I remember being among the more active ones on KillingIfrit back in the days.
[+]
 Asura.Echandra
Server: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-03-20 00:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

RIP killing ifrit forums. oh the drama!
[+]
By empx 2014-03-20 00:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The semi-regular 'quests' by turtle of valefor were one of the things that made this game feel like more than just that back in 2004/2005 when I started.

I think when I return sometime I will plant myself outside of the moghouse in port sandy in full dragoon af1 in turtle's honor.

I can't say I've been on KI many times this past decade but it won't soon be forgotten.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2014-03-20 01:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn. KI had one of my most frequented threads back in the day..DRG Gear and Solo guide.
 Carbuncle.Jysthea
Server: Carbuncle
user: Jysthea
By Carbuncle.Jysthea 2014-03-20 02:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Gonna seriously miss KI, though it wasn't even 1% as good as it used to be, it'll always hold that place, as the best site ever for its time.

The mods weren't pussies. You could actually disrespect people who deserved to be disrespected without being banned. An amazing thing to actually use the internet how it was intended. And not be 100% pussywhipped to advertisers.
[+]
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2014-03-20 02:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Just need ZAM to die now
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
Server: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-03-20 03:01:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sad day, that website was awesome back in the day. The "Post pictures of your job" threads were really entertaining, and to this day it can be a fun way to burn some time and see how a job has evolved since 2005~. RIP in Peace KI.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-03-20 03:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Failaras said: »
Sad day, that website was awesome back in the day. The "Post pictures of your job" threads were really entertaining, and to this day it can be a fun way to burn some time and see how a job has evolved since 2005~. RIP in Peace KI.

Could be the next legendary thread here...
By Treizekordero 2014-03-20 04:35:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
fun fact: my first forum post ever was talking about how awesome great sword was on my lv 20 warrior

OMG!!! So glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.. i still love using Great Sword on my WAR.

Anyway I'm sad to see Killing Ifrit go.. first FFXI site I posted on before BG and FFXIAH. My biggest thread there was my DNC/MNK thread.. I was actually looking at it a month+ ago and I hadn't realized it kept going long after I forgot about it lol.

I even went and tried DNC/MNK again on some mandies outside of Adoulin.. such fun!!
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-03-20 06:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Treizekordero said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »

OMG!!! So glad I wasn't the only one who thought that.. i still love using Great Sword on my WAR.

Anyway I'm sad to see Killing Ifrit go.. first FFXI site I posted on before BG and FFXIAH. My biggest thread there was my DNC/MNK thread.. I was actually looking at it a month+ ago and I hadn't realized it kept going long after I forgot about it lol.

I even went and tried DNC/MNK again on some mandies outside of Adoulin.. such fun!!

I used to use GS on my WAR in qufim pt too, just for the sake of wanting to use GS, I wonder if anyone ever /blist me for doing that :D
 Phoenix.Elizabet
Server: Phoenix
user: Elizabet
By Phoenix.Elizabet 2014-03-20 08:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Back then no one knew what they were doing anyways, success was getting things dead, without your healer dying or anyone else.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-03-20 09:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

When I read the title of this thread, I instinctively imagined it in the elated voice of Voldemort.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-03-20 09:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm, i never heard of that site before :/
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-03-20 09:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIonline was actually my first FFXI forum, but I spent plenty of time on KI over the years. There were some great, great drama threads. It's nice when people can actually get called out on their stunts.

KI might have survived longer if it weren't so damn slow! LOL.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-03-20 09:38:25
Link | Quote | Reply

So..have we figured out the Decorative Weapon DEF yet?

Actually I just realized it was not an ongoing thread, just a sticky.

No wonder Onorgul's avatar looked so familiar...Pathwriter? Because I had a déjà vu when you called someone describing the old FFXI (with all of its design flaws) through their rose-colored nostalgia glasses as epic: "masochist".
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2014-03-20 09:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It was too bad they pruned so many threads years back, was some entertaining reads there.

This does really put the years of playing this game in perspective. RIP
[+]
 Bismarck.Aselin
By Bismarck.Aselin 2014-03-20 10:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm thinking I'm going to try to print-to-PDF a lot of the forum posts that were popular on the website before the site goes down.

It's sad to see how quiet the "Fun, excitement, drama?" thread in the Bismarck forum became in the later years on that forum. So many people on Bismarck quit the game towards 2010. And, we were a rather quiet server before Seraph merged with us.

Even now post-FFXIV ARR v2.0 release, the server has gotten quieter and quieter. It's become the equivalent of a small town-- you see the same people every time you log in and do stuff with.

And, there was the Flame Wars forum section. That was quite possibly one of the more frequented forums on the site. There were "regulars" who posted there on a daily basis back during KI's heyday.
First Page 2 3