Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » The jobs that can solo Colorless Souls
The jobs that can solo Colorless Souls
By Simple 2014-02-20 05:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I am wondering what jobs can solo colorless souls nowadays?

I know that PLD can do all three VNM3, but sadly I don't have an Aegis PLD so I'm wondering about other jobs? I know that pretty much any job can solo Koios, but I think I've only seen RUN, MNK and PLD solo Ifrit.

Also, I've seen NIN and DNC do Garuda in Grauberg, but I haven't read about anyone soloing Diabolos other than PLD?

I assume Chione/Liviathan are easiest since both can be done by BST without having to switch.

Any strategies?
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2014-02-20 06:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Any DD job with iLvl equipment can pretty much destroy altep/ulegue T3s with all the magic evasion/def they have on.
By Jeubond 2014-02-20 06:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually take Mnk/Thf [I live in hope . . . ;(] & use Brother Wolf/Shimmering Shell fire resist atma for Brulo or Lake Lurker water resist atma for Ogopogo.
Good luck !
[+]
 Cerberus.Toknherb
Server: Cerberus
user: Toknherb
By Cerberus.Toknherb 2014-02-20 07:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Did a good bit of mine with BST, had no issues at all.
 Bismarck.Kaiseredge
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kaiseredge 2014-02-20 07:10:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I solo pretty much everything on whm, buffs/rdm can pretty much afk on the colorless soul nms
 Carbuncle.Sisko
Server: Carbuncle
user: siskotaru
By Carbuncle.Sisko 2014-02-20 07:12:36
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as you select the right atmas, any job can solo Brulo. Thf is your best bet obviously for TH.

Brother wolf + Ilevel armor is enough to resist most of the spikes and spells damage. Go full TH only when Bully/SA/feint and you should be good.

Always have some temp potions around just to be safe.

--

The Two other T3s are a little less predictable. Most of the time, you should be able to kill them no pb, even more easily than Brulo, but with bad WS roll they will kill you eventualy.
The main problem being the insta-depop in case of death.
 Ragnarok.Sharain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sharain
By Ragnarok.Sharain 2014-02-20 07:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Being /run helps a lot too, then don't even need to use atmas for elemental resists. I farmed a lot as mnk/run. I liked chakra a bit too much go thf/run, but I'd imagine with a bit more temps you could do that too.

Note tho that Levi's poison aura will eat you alive if you don't kill it fast. >.>
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-20 07:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I just recently completely my 75 colorless souls. I was 2-boxing THF and WHM mostly, but sometimes I did it solo as THF with Apoc, Gnarled Horn, and Razed Ruins.

Brulo's fire spikes hurt. You won't be soloing him as a DD unless you are /whm or /dnc or using resist atmas. They do up to ~75 damage per hit with no resists. Koios is the easiest. Brulo also tends to drop 2 souls the most often in my experience.

Maere is easy, but he and Gamayun are just the most annoying because they take the longest to kill. Also, in my experience, Maere has more of a tendency to only drop 1 soul a lot, even with high TH, which is pretty annoying. His Nether Blast can still hurt too. So can Gamayun's Aerial Blast.

Chione is the hardest of the T2 VNMs, but still just a T2. If you don't have stun, you can either interrupt her casts with melee hits and eat the ice spikes, or you can turn to avoid the ice spikes and let her spells hit you. I actually died to her once as THF/WAR when I didn't bring my WHM because I was derping. Ogopogo is really easy now. Tidal Wave only does a few hundred with ilvl gear compared to the 2k+ it could do before. Biggest prob with Ulegeurand is that it seems to have the most competition.

Overall, I wouldn't kill the T3 VNMs with anything but THF. They can all be done on THF/DNC. Their hit rate is pretty much floored so your only worries are spikes (Brulo/Chione) and high damage abilities/spells. Making use of Violent Flourish, Curing Waltz 3, and maybe temp items will insure success. Remember, some of your temp items always refresh when you enter an abyssea zone (depending on your abyssites) so be sure to make use of them (Lucid Potion I, Dusty Elixir, Stalwart's Tonic, Catholicon). I would also highly recommend buying and using Champion's Tonic every time as well as buying Lucid Potion II and Lucid Elixir I just to be safe.

This is a little off-topic, but honestly, I found the best way to farm souls is to rotate areas. I would normally go to Altepa first, camp Koios, if he didn't upgrade my colorful, I'd immediately warp out and go to Ule for Chione. Kill Chione, warp out, go back to Koios. Rinse/repeat. If there was a group camping Chione, I'd toggle between Koios and Gamayun. I set my home point at Port Jeuno HP 1 so that when I warped back, I could buy another instant warp scroll and just run to Horst real quick. You should definitely have enough damage to camp two areas until your colorful upgrades. Normally after I killed Gamayun or Chione, I'd go back to Altepa and have to wait a few minutes for Koios to spawn. I prefer this over trying to camp the third one because I always know their Time of Death whether I get the claim or not.
[+]
By Spiraboo 2014-02-20 07:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Maere is easy, but he and Gamayun are just the most annoying because they take the longest to kill. Also, in my experience, Maere has more of a tendency to only drop 1 soul a lot, even with high TH, which is pretty annoying. His Nether Blast can still hurt too. So can Gamayun's Aerial Blast.

http://ffxidb.com/items/3294

Statistic shows they pretty much have equal drop rate. But i do agree maere path is the most annoying.
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-20 14:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I said "in my experience." Others may find different results. I probably killed Maere around a 20 times. I recall getting 2 souls on only 3 of those kills. Brulo, in contrast, dropped 2 souls every time I killed him except twice. Ogopogo I only killed maybe 10 times and from what I remember, I didn't record the drops but based on memory, he dropped 2 souls about half the time, maybe a lil more.
 Valefor.Kensagaku
Server: Valefor
user: Kensagaku
By Valefor.Kensagaku 2014-02-20 14:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally have been doing it RUN/THF mostly because I wasn't confident with my other jobs regardless of ilvl. Atma vary based on the situation, though often I'll go Razed Ruins/Mounted Champion/Apocalpyse, and let Regen IV and MC cover all of my healing.

Ogopogo is a joke, especially with runes/Barwater/Vallation up, and if you're feeling nervous around Tidal Wave, toss a One for All, not that I've needed it up to this point.

Maere takes a little longer because of Nightmare meaning that I'm in ZZZ land for a while even with three dark runes and Barsleep, but the Bio is mostly negated and I don't take much damage that Regen can't cover.

I haven't done Brulo since it's usually pretty camped so I can't really say much on that, but I imagine barfire/three runes and it's a joke as well.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-02-20 21:55:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I was raping all area T3's on SMN. Sub'ed RDM and atma's were RR,DG,MM.suppose BST could do it also. But why pay for pets or food!
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-02-20 22:01:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I soloed all three T3's on BST before the Adoulin era. I assume that it would be far easier now.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-02-20 22:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM/NIN I solo'd Brulo in modest MDT gear with capped barfire and shell V. Atma: MM, RR, Future Fabulous to survive AF. Regen + SS + a modest cure here and there makes the spikes mostly an annoyance. He can still ruin your day, and RDM kills pretty slow, sadly, though you can get decent CDC dmg with SoA gear at this point.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-02-20 22:08:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It is. I use to bring dawns even on SMN. Just in case I mess up. Did not use a single 1. Tried both BST and SMN on T3's. Even with only a few items of the new gear had zero issues and fast kills. I remember 1 PC did like 20K to Burlo.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2014-02-20 22:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Rune Fencer is able to solo these with ease. I've done Ifrit a bunch on RUN. He's a joke.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-02-20 22:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I am pretty sure most jobs with the right set up's can do these NM's now a days. I have always liked using pet jobs.
By Selindrile 2014-02-20 22:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Every job can solo these with varying degrees of ease and success, Run/Thf makes it extremely easy and painless though you lack a sneak/invis which is rather nice for popping things in fields of enemies with competition.
 Cerberus.Toknherb
Server: Cerberus
user: Toknherb
By Cerberus.Toknherb 2014-02-21 06:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
I was raping all area T3's on SMN. Sub'ed RDM and atma's were RR,DG,MM.suppose BST could do it also. But why pay for pets or food!

Just fyi for the BST's out there thinking about this, did this a ton as BST and didn't even need to use a biscuit. -.o