Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Ankusa vs. Totemic
Ankusa vs. Totemic
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-02-18 08:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

At first glance, the Ankusa set seems to focus on haste and -pdt for pets. The hands and feet look particularly interesting. But I'm not sure it's a replacement for Totemic (not that it was necessarily meant to be). In fact, the Ankusa set seems situational/macro-swap at best.

Thoughts?

Still though, I have my 5 Mammoth Tusks, so I'll be working on the full set starting with hands and feet. I do have almost 800k in plasm, so if need be I can purchase fracture boss drops for the HQ, but I'd rather farm the drops and dive head-first into the 6-man thing and see what that experience is like.
By Sieha1 2014-02-18 09:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Reforged AF and Relic are not replacements of one another. Like in the old days they are options, each with their own advantages. Take Pld for example, af higher defense, relic higher emn+.

Balance all the things!
By Deckardmagnus 2014-02-18 09:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't bothered upgrading anything yet, since once I heard the AF2 was coming out soon, I wanted to see both sets before I spent my gil.

That said, looking at the two sets as they are, I'm in favor of the Ankusa over the Totemic. Sieha is right; it's a lateral progression system again, like it used to be, and both sets have situational priority.

But overall, if I'm picking one or the other, the Ankusa pieces seem more useful to me. The Reward benefits are the same on Totemic/Ankusa pieces with Reward (which was always the major benefit of AF1/AF2), but the Ankusa offers -PDT and Haste for pets, whereas Totemic does not. Totemic, however, I've noticed, has higher STR.
 Cerberus.Avalon
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2014-02-18 09:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Deckardmagnus said: »
I haven't bothered upgrading anything yet, since once I heard the AF2 was coming out soon, I wanted to see both sets before I spent my gil.

That said, looking at the two sets as they are, I'm in favor of the Ankusa over the Totemic. Sieha is right; it's a lateral progression system again, like it used to be, and both sets have situational priority.

But overall, if I'm picking one or the other, the Ankusa pieces seem more useful to me. The Reward benefits are the same on Totemic/Ankusa pieces with Reward (which was always the major benefit of AF1/AF2), but the Ankusa offers -PDT and Haste for pets, whereas Totemic does not. Totemic, however, I've noticed, has higher STR.

I haven't done a full side-by-side comparison yet, but yeah, there are definitely pros to each set. I just recently completed the Totemic+1 set so I can focus now fully on Ankusa. I'm really interested in the cumulative -7% pdt for pets with the hands and feet.