Dark Knights purpose these days
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-02-06 10:03:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
DD/thf were never used by good groups for anything.. it's not a safe/slow thing, it's a terrible choice.. the safe group on these is /nin or rng dd

was never safer, never saw a /thf group for aa or delve, and you've made absolutely no point of any sort still

this thread is titled 'dark knight's purpose', even if a few gimps on your server use /thf(which i find unlikely, tbh), it's not a good subjob/situation to give drk purpose.. /nin isn't going away on these unless they drastically retool damage taken or nerf them
By Marauderex 2014-02-06 10:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy crap so many replies suddenly, I swear I checked this thread and there was nothing and seemingly over night BOOM discussion.

Anyway I'll get my setup out of the way of what I currently have and what I am aiming to upgrade to
Right now as a 99Drk/Sam (I also have War,Thf,Nin,Dnc leveled for subs)
Current-----------------Upgrade
Senbaak-----------------Ragnarok 119
pole grip---------------Bloodrain strap
hagneia stone
outrider mask-----------Yaoyotl helm
bale choker-------------Asperity necklace
steelflash
bladeborn
outrider mail-----------Ignominy curiass+1
outrider gloves---------Cizin mufflers (waiting on the next update)
rajas ring
tyrant ring-------------K'ayres ring
letalis mantle
anguinus belt-----------Dynamic belt+1
outrider hose-----------Ignominy flan+1
karieyh sollerets+1

As far as merits go
maxed resolution
maxed greatsword/scythe
maxed crit+/enemy crit-
5 last resort recast
5 last resort effect
5 desperate blows effect
4 diabolic eye
1 dark seal
and working on maxing out STR and DEX
I dont know about magic merits as to which would benefit the most, I am assuming dark is a must but is enfeeb and elem worth doing?

I cant think of anything else at the moment but if you have any other questions I'll get the answer as any insight as to be the most useful in the most situations as possible is what I am striving for as a Drk, and to give and idea of the last time I actually played was right when WotG came out, I lasted about a month and a half after its release.
 Ragnarok.Returner
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2014-02-06 12:13:39
Link | Quote | Reply

voiceless said: »
Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
MNK just has too many naturally good designed things to help keep it on the higher end of the spectrum for damage dealing, where as others have pointed out, DRK doesn't get as much use of their own abilities with some boss fights.

In any content worth dragging DRK AND MNK out, both should be just about optimally buffed with capped haste and the like, so it's a case of gear and XI tradion of situational playouts. MNKs from what I've seen were usually top of the parsers when people read them off, since they're gonna usually get the full use of Hundred Fists on top of counters being so naturally effective. DRK gets to push some great spike damage per the usual, but it usually won't be as great as MNK. Being able to reliably come out around the top... 5 in a run of 18 though isn't something to scoff at.

Main ways DRK will get to shine is either gimmick fight where Absorbs do great things, or mobs / NMs are weaker to slash instead of blunt. Though all that damage usually shifts hate back onto the DRK, who has to idle more in their DT sets since keeping hate is suicide, if they don't get oneshotted by some of the stuff thrown out nowadays. MNK can just keep doing Mantra rotation and pop the new 1 hour if needed to stay in the fight while healers patch them up, keeping them in the fight and letting them keep that damage pouring in. Then you might have a COR pop in and get lucky with Wild Draw, and obviously Hundred Fists Round 2 should usually help clean up anything.

DRK isn't bad DD at all, it's just that when you compare it to MNK, it's glaringly obvious why one is stronger than the other.

Not true I parse more as drk in tojil shout runs then 90% of the monks in the allaince.

I think that's what most ppl don't know, that DRK can in fact outparse most of the mnks on Tojil if you are good, and that's not against bad mnks too.

However, you also have to take it with a grant of salt. When you go DRK, you are likely going as the only slashing type, while there should be a DRG for piercing, and a bunch of mnks for the first 25% and at the end. So since you are the only slashing, you get that 25% bonus all by yourself while the MNKs have to share that pie during blunt phase. So naturally that will skew the parse toward DRK a little. Not ground breaking but most ppl don't realize.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-02-06 12:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Quote:
DD/thf were never used by good groups for anything.. it's not a safe/slow thing, it's a terrible choice.. the safe group on these is /nin or rng dd

was never safer, never saw a /thf group for aa or delve, and you've made absolutely no point of any sort still

this thread is titled 'dark knight's purpose', even if a few gimps on your server use /thf(which i find unlikely, tbh), it's not a good subjob/situation to give drk purpose.. /nin isn't going away on these unless they drastically retool damage taken or nerf them

I saw absolutely tons on my server, on other servers, on here and on BG forums. Seems like you missed my point of hard fights arent always going to be hard once people figure them out or are better geared.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2014-02-06 13:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Marauderex said: »
Holy crap so many replies suddenly, I swear I checked this thread and there was nothing and seemingly over night BOOM discussion.

Anyway I'll get my setup out of the way of what I currently have and what I am aiming to upgrade to
hagneia stone
steelflash
bladeborn
rajas ring
letalis mantle
karieyh sollerets+1

As far as merits go
maxed resolution
maxed greatsword/scythe
maxed crit+/enemy crit-
5 last resort recast
5 last resort effect
5 desperate blows effect
4 diabolic eye
1 dark seal
I dont know about magic merits as to which would benefit the most, I am assuming dark is a must but is enfeeb and elem worth doing?

I cant think of anything else at the moment but if you have any other questions I'll get the answer as any insight as to be the most useful in the most situations as possible is what I am striving for as a Drk, and to give and idea of the last time I actually played was right when WotG came out, I lasted about a month and a half after its release.

Keep the Bale Choker for a refresh build if you ever need MP for stuff like Dread Spikes and Endark.

Enfeebling merits will help save your butt in crowd control situations, but it's really not all that necessary to have. I personally have them merited for my RDM and GEO, so having that merited is a perk for my DRK as well. Damage with Elemental Nukes is a bust for DRK, so no to Elemental.

Bloodrain Strap should be a replacement for Rose Strap, not Pole Grip. If you don't have a Duplus Grip for /SAM or MultiHit builds, Pole Grip is the next best thing to have on you.

Assuming you don't already have a Ganesha's Mala, Hahava should be extremely easy at this point of the game. If you've got an LS who can come out every once in a while to kill it, totally go for it. Any gear with quadruple attack that you can fit in to your TP sets will help immensely.

Mikinaak Greaves should really be the best you can get for TP Feet (aside from Ejekamal for MultiHit), especially since you can pump more offensive stats into it via Rank A Mezzotinting.
By charlo999 2014-02-06 13:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Returner said: »
voiceless said: »
Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
MNK just has too many naturally good designed things to help keep it on the higher end of the spectrum for damage dealing, where as others have pointed out, DRK doesn't get as much use of their own abilities with some boss fights.

In any content worth dragging DRK AND MNK out, both should be just about optimally buffed with capped haste and the like, so it's a case of gear and XI tradion of situational playouts. MNKs from what I've seen were usually top of the parsers when people read them off, since they're gonna usually get the full use of Hundred Fists on top of counters being so naturally effective. DRK gets to push some great spike damage per the usual, but it usually won't be as great as MNK. Being able to reliably come out around the top... 5 in a run of 18 though isn't something to scoff at.

Main ways DRK will get to shine is either gimmick fight where Absorbs do great things, or mobs / NMs are weaker to slash instead of blunt. Though all that damage usually shifts hate back onto the DRK, who has to idle more in their DT sets since keeping hate is suicide, if they don't get oneshotted by some of the stuff thrown out nowadays. MNK can just keep doing Mantra rotation and pop the new 1 hour if needed to stay in the fight while healers patch them up, keeping them in the fight and letting them keep that damage pouring in. Then you might have a COR pop in and get lucky with Wild Draw, and obviously Hundred Fists Round 2 should usually help clean up anything.

DRK isn't bad DD at all, it's just that when you compare it to MNK, it's glaringly obvious why one is stronger than the other.

Not true I parse more as drk in tojil shout runs then 90% of the monks in the allaince.

I think that's what most ppl don't know, that DRK can in fact outparse most of the mnks on Tojil if you are good, and that's not against bad mnks too.

However, you also have to take it with a grant of salt. When you go DRK, you are likely going as the only slashing type, while there should be a DRG for piercing, and a bunch of mnks for the first 25% and at the end. So since you are the only slashing, you get that 25% bonus all by yourself while the MNKs have to share that pie during blunt phase. So naturally that will skew the parse toward DRK a little. Not ground breaking but most ppl don't realize.

The fact it's tojil where monks formless strikes and 100 fist first 25% then can get it back for another phase already puts it at a huge advantage though.
Need to choose a neutral mob if your gonna compare really
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2014-02-06 13:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, MNK is the job that was found to be the most effective. When you have mobs like Matamata and Craklaw who are MNK onry, the parse will get skewed from the beginning anyways. If you are a DRK who can take hate from the MNKs during a Mega Boss like Tojil or Daku, then you are playing correctly. If you are a DRK who is taking all the hate, you are going to have a bad time, because DRKs aint built like a MNK, and the MNKs in your alliance are failing to damage deal effectively for whatever reason.

If you are a DRK who never takes hate, you are not playing correctly or your gear is subpar. Did someone say DRK lacks accuracy?? Well in any zone except Ceizak, DRK should never be lacking accuracy and be using attack food. There are plenty of ways for DRK to get accuracy, Mikinaak, Letalis, Ziel Charm, Sushi etc.

I tend to start bosses with Absorb-VIT, because if you have a DRG doing Angon, and have other people lowering defense/evasion, it will help everyone. You need at least 480 Dark Magic skill I assume (I'm on 502 now) and Dark Seal to land Absorbs, but it is well worth doing that before you properly engage. The only reason why MNK is used so much over any other DD is because of how the job is built. I remember a time when nobody wanted a MNK for anything, jobs come and go with the content currently given to us.

Bottom line, be a Resolution machine. I got my Ragnarok 119 the other day.. and damn.. it is sick, can't wait to try it out in Delve at some point.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2014-02-06 14:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

hagneia stone
steelflash
bladeborn
rajas ring
letalis mantle
karieyh sollerets+1

As far as merits go
maxed resolution
maxed greatsword/scythe
maxed crit+/enemy crit-
5 last resort recast
5 last resort effect
5 desperate blows effect
4 diabolic eye
1 dark seal

Is this a weaponskill set?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Server: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-02-06 14:03:19
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK is fine. Ragnarok DRK is really good damage (close to monk depending on situation), and Liberator DRK is even better. Monk is just really, really easy to gear to a high-tier, and even easier to play, so everyone has monk. Samurai is easier to gear than dark knight as well.

Keep at your dark knight, and you will be happy with it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Zorik
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zorik
By Quetzalcoatl.Zorik 2014-02-06 14:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Last Resort makes a huge difference in damage. If the event your going to doesn't let you use LR then go another job.
[+]
 Leviathan.Fosco
user: Fosco
By Leviathan.Fosco 2014-02-06 14:44:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzacoatl said: »
Assuming you don't already have a Ganesha's Mala, Hahava should be extremely easy at this point of the game. If you've got an LS who can come out every once in a while to kill it, totally go for it. Any gear with quadruple attack that you can fit in to your TP sets will help immensely.
Just trio'd him last night with MNK (heh..) BLM and WHM, so really you only need yourself and a couple friends and go knock him out. I would assume you could tank him on DRK, especially given all the temps. Only drawback to low-manning is sometimes having to hold him for five minutes to fume him if you get crap weakness hints.
By Marauderex 2014-02-06 14:59:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Hsieh said: »

No, this is just what I currently have, I'm playing several years of catchup so this has been acting as a general TP build while I gain access to all the areas/content I missed. I know for resolution I will want to pile on STR where I can, but I am unsure about scourge (or if its even worth worrying about at this point) Most of the set suggestions I am looking toward are the advice of the few people I know still playing who have any experience with drk, but granted most of theirs stopped at 74

Keep the Bale Choker for a refresh build if you ever need MP for stuff like Dread Spikes and Endark.

Enfeebling merits will help save your butt in crowd control situations, but it's really not all that necessary to have. I personally have them merited for my RDM and GEO, so having that merited is a perk for my DRK as well. Damage with Elemental Nukes is a bust for DRK, so no to Elemental.

Bloodrain Strap should be a replacement for Rose Strap, not Pole Grip. If you don't have a Duplus Grip for /SAM or MultiHit builds, Pole Grip is the next best thing to have on you.

Mikinaak Greaves should really be the best you can get for TP Feet (aside from Ejekamal for MultiHit), especially since you can pump more offensive stats into it via Rank A Mezzotinting.

Is the +2 quad attack that noticeable? especially since giving up the 3 store TP?
And I guess the same question goes for the pole grip vs. bloodrain.
I want to make sure I have enough store TP to keep the number of hits as low as possible since ragarok has a low delay for a 2-handed weapon, does the multi-hit procs of the grip/necklace happen enough to outweigh the store tp?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-02-06 15:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

@Kylos.

Are you familiar with how enmity actually works? it caps extremely quickly, so no, even if you're able to pull hate from MNKs for 1 second, it don't mean ****. You're, however, correct about if you're never able to pull hate, then you're doing a bad job.

I was the one who said DRK -may- have accuracy issues, but I wasn't referring to lolDelve. I was referring to Difficult/Very Difficult Ark Angel battles, and the new instances.
Guide Maker
By Quetzacoatl 2014-02-06 16:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Fosco said: »
Just trio'd him last night with MNK (heh..) BLM and WHM, so really you only need yourself and a couple friends and go knock him out. I would assume you could tank him on DRK, especially given all the temps. Only drawback to low-manning is sometimes having to hold him for five minutes to fume him if you get crap weakness hints.
Heh, yeah, I did say he should be extremely easy. :P

Is the +2 quad attack that noticeable? especially since giving up the 3 store TP?
I want to make sure I have enough store TP to keep the number of hits as low as possible since ragarok has a low delay for a 2-handed weapon, does the multi-hit procs of the grip/necklace happen enough to outweigh the store tp?

If your X-Hit can sacrifice the Asperity Necklace, the Ganesha's Mala is definitely noticeable. It's essentially like adding four separate chances to double attack twice. Pair that with a Windbuffet Belt if you have full buffs, and you will really start to notice it more.

If you're on /WAR, you'll want to go with a Store TP grip to make up for the lack of Store TP trait from /SAM. same goes with Pole/Duplus Grip for /SAM in place of no double attack trait.

Your best friends for this kind of question are spreadsheets and FFXICalc to calculate your store TP builds and which builds are more optimal. The guide here can give you reference to which pieces you'll want to aim for as well.
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2014-02-06 16:23:41
Link | Quote | Reply

How would a 119 DRK have any worse ACC than a 119 MNK? They pretty much have 40 ACC on the MNK right out the gate with Rag's ACC bonus.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-02-06 18:03:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Hsieh said: »

No, this is just what I currently have, I'm playing several years of catchup so this has been acting as a general TP build while I gain access to all the areas/content I missed. I know for resolution I will want to pile on STR where I can, but I am unsure about scourge (or if its even worth worrying about at this point) Most of the set suggestions I am looking toward are the advice of the few people I know still playing who have any experience with drk, but granted most of theirs stopped at 74

In all honestly, with Rag's 431 delay your very rarely going to have the option of using a DA grip. 2~3% DA is such a small amount of DPS compared to what you'll get in other slots that it's almost always beneficial to use grip for sTP. Be very wary of anyone that use's the magic words "capped attack and accuracy" cause these day's that rarely happens on anything "hard".
By Kyler 2014-02-06 19:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

In all honestly, with Rag's 431 delay your very rarely going to have the option of using a DA grip. 2~3% DA is such a small amount of DPS compared to what you'll get in other slots that it's almost always beneficial to use grip for sTP. Be very wary of anyone that use's the magic words "capped attack and accuracy" cause these day's that rarely happens on anything "hard".

You also don't bring DRK to anything "hard" at this point. I'm sure it would serve just as well as any DD in normal or maybe even hard SKC or AA fights. But as for VD, the strats in place are not there to make jobs feel inferior, they are more consistent, have more margin for error etc.

But you do have a point, if you don't have well geared bards available there will be times where you might be better served with some stp or even hurkans grip
 Remora.Brain
Server: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2014-02-07 00:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Not gonna lie, when I go Melee to AAs normal or harder, I stick to sh*t like Hurkan's grip because it offers survivability, and if ACC/ATK isn't capped it's your best choice.

A bigger problem is people spam Resolution on DRK when acc isn't capped and wonder why they suck. Use f*cking Torcleaver you scrub.

I haven't really played DRK lately much though because I dropped a lot of gil on my 119 Amano/Yoichi and a Tsurumaru to plow sh*t over and just have too much fun. What's the ideal for Rag now? What hit build do people focus on now?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-02-07 04:42:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Kyler said: »
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

You also don't bring DRK to anything "hard" at this point. I'm sure it would serve just as well as any DD in normal or maybe even hard SKC or AA fights. But as for VD, the strats in place are not there to make jobs feel inferior, they are more consistent, have more margin for error etc.

But you do have a point, if you don't have well geared bards available there will be times where you might be better served with some stp or even hurkans grip

The definition of "hard" is debatable. Hard isn't just VD onry, it's anything were numbers actually matter. That includes AA Normal fights which is the vast majority of the ones being fought.

You can have the 100% absolute best gear in the game and that 6 sTP would still be incredibly valuable. When you need 50~53 of the stuff while also actually hitting your target, well sacrifices need to be made and a slot that only gives 1~2% under optimal conditions (that is what a 60m Duplus grip gives btw) is the first to be used for sTP. That's before counting in the 6 acc which will give you a 2~3% increase if your not capping.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-02-07 04:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Brain said: »
Not gonna lie, when I go Melee to AAs normal or harder, I stick to sh*t like Hurkan's grip because it offers survivability, and if ACC/ATK isn't capped it's your best choice.

A bigger problem is people spam Resolution on DRK when acc isn't capped and wonder why they suck. Use f*cking Torcleaver you scrub.

I haven't really played DRK lately much though because I dropped a lot of gil on my 119 Amano/Yoichi and a Tsurumaru to plow sh*t over and just have too much fun. What's the ideal for Rag now? What hit build do people focus on now?

Yeah the Tzacab grip is amazing if acc or survival is your primary concern. Rag is still on a 6-hit as it's not really feasible to get the 70+ sTP it would require for a 5-hit, the delay is just too low. Rag is still stupidly powerful due to it's high accuracy, 14% crit and 2.5x damage proc. Torcleaver is a pretty solid WS if your not getting super buffed, the only issue with it is that it requires slightly more sTP to 6-hit then Reso does.

DRK's offensive power hasn't been diminished, it's still hits like a freight train and hits fast. The game has shifted from "kill it now" to "don't f*cking die" as SE's dialed up boss offensive difficulty up to 11. DRK's never been known as the most survivable of jobs though people vastly overstate things. You can freely utilize LR up to difficult AA, VD things just instakill you no matter what.
 Leviathan.Kidnoftle
user: Kidnoftle
By Leviathan.Kidnoftle 2014-02-07 16:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Quote:

I saw absolutely tons on my server, on other servers, on here and on BG forums. Seems like you missed my point of hard fights arent always going to be hard once people figure them out or are better geared.

Saw tons actually complete the bc using said method or tons that entered the bc using said method? Because there's a huge difference. /thf for drk on AAs is probably the most useless thing you could bring to an AA fight lol.

Anything above easy will at one point or another drop a non /nin, non pld. All 5 of the AAs have at least one form of conal/aoe dmg that would floor you. Unless you're suggesting epic drk/thf strats for GK using scherzo and EA. In which case, /sam is obviously the far better option.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-02-14 23:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2014-02-15 00:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Kidnoftle said: »
Creaucent Alazrin said: »
Quote:

Saw tons actually complete the bc using said method or tons that entered the bc using said method? Because there's a huge difference. /thf for drk on AAs is probably the most useless thing you could bring to an AA fight lol.

Anything above easy will at one point or another drop a non /nin, non pld. All 5 of the AAs have at least one form of conal/aoe dmg that would floor you. Unless you're suggesting epic drk/thf strats for GK using scherzo and EA. In which case, /sam is obviously the far better option.

Some people really cant read that well /thf was for DELVE when that was first released not AAs. I was making a point that people will use safe strats when the fights are first released, AAs case rng or mnk onry, then start to take in different jobs once they know how to kill it.