Ninjas (Where Are They Now)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Ninjas (Where are they now)
Ninjas (Where are they now)
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Lakaii
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Lakaiii
By Cerberus.Lakaii 2013-12-13 15:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I was considering coming back to play this game, but last time I was on I was confided to only playing COR in end game events (Adoulin, Delve etc.) but I'd rather play my favorite job which is Ninja. Last I remember, Ninjas are the majority of the unemployment line. Is that still the case? Is there hope for a ninja to find a job to do in end game?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2013-12-13 15:40:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninjas all blew up long ago.

That's why there isn't anymore of them. They are a rare breed.
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-12-13 15:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

NIN still doesn't really have a niche in the game. If you are supremely well-geared and play well, you'll do enough damage to pull your weight in DD slot but convincing someone of that will likely be nearly impossible.

NIN might get a small break with these Ark Angel fights as I hear folks are reporting that DD/NIN is back in style, for the Galka at least. Since /NIN hurts 2-handers more than 1-handers, you could probably make a decent argument to bring a NIN. But most likely a leader would prefer to bring a MNK/NIN instead, for all of the reasons that MNK is good.
 Cerberus.Lakaii
By Cerberus.Lakaii 2013-12-13 15:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Even with Blade: Hi on updated Katanas it's still pretty pointless eh?
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2013-12-13 16:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a diehard NIN in my shell with both 119 Kannagi and 119 Kikoku as mainhand options. He does pretty well and he could probably go to whatever event that he wants as NIN within our friend circle, at least to test it out. But you have to fight an uphill battle and still end up subpar in the end.

But like I said, there may be some use in the AA fights, since shadows are supposedly useful there again (breaking a long trend of content where shadows have been mostly useless). I haven't done them so someone else with experience will have to comment. From the amount of damage they can dish out, it sounds like you really need a PLD for a tanking strategy, but maybe there's a place for NIN as a subtank.
[+]
 Bahamut.Caelestis
Server: Bahamut
user: Caelestis
By Bahamut.Caelestis 2013-12-13 16:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Its kinda sad whats happened to NIN throughout the course of the game...hell the path of the NIN sorta coincides with the path of FFXI itself (the ups and downs, so to say), think about it.

When NIN came out, it was popular as hell, damn near a bandwagon job as blink tanking was the "thing" back in the day, then as PLD and other DD continued to get stronger and in PLDs case much more durable, with of course the ability to blink tank themselves made NIN more of a novelty than a necessity, which basically made NIN a dead job...until abyssea/lvl cap being rasied. After that, NIN came into the spotlight again in a flurry, and that lasted for a while imo, i guess you could say all the way up until the "end" of VW (as in, about a year ago or so)

This of course leads us to the latest expansion, SoA, which has truly made NIN an afterthought at best. Damn shame as i was someone who enjoyed the hell of the job, not gonna go into the reasons why i do, anyone that enjoys playing it knows what im talking about. Sad part is, like FFXI itself, i dont see the job being rejuvenated once again anytime soon, if ever. The game currently just doesnt cater to the job at all.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
Server: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-12-13 16:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Pure tanks aren't needed for most of current endgame, and where they are (wildskeeper, maybe the new stuff), blink tanking performs poorly. As ninjas can't evade and simultaneously mitigate unavoidable damage nearly as well as PLD or RUN, they melt pretty quick.

More-relaxed cases, other jobs are equally-safe tanks (monk, thief, dancer) and, at the moment, it takes a pure damage dealer to hold hate off pure damage dealers (PLD, RUN, and NIN won't hold hate off even a decent thief, let alone a good/great mnk/sam/drk). All DD accelerate to hate cap faster than all 3 tanks, and all DD ping against it faster than all 3 tanks.

I haven't played in a few months, so you may take my opinion with a grain of salt. Just wanted to give you insight into why ninjas are still on the sidelines.
 Cerberus.Lakaii
By Cerberus.Lakaii 2013-12-13 17:16:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the feedback folks. Looks like NIN died with Abyssea.
By fonewear 2013-12-13 17:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja used to be my favorite job to solo stuff. Kinda sad to see that it isn't used much in end game content. Same with thief still probably my favorite job from the start.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-12-13 17:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Lakaii said: »
.... Last I remember, Ninjas are the majority of the unemployment line. Is that still the case? ....

Oh no. They have lots of company from RDMs.
By Ozzilla 2013-12-13 18:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

darthjahjahbear said: »

I am 1st in line!! Wish they could do something to bring my ninjar back
By darthjahjahbear 2013-12-13 18:07:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Line cutter . . . We need so much work . . . Ws/utsusemi buffs to start? Utsusemi needs more shadows and to absorb MORE magic/tp moves so ninja could hopefully without trouble tank the same things as paladin? I never get to play my ninja so I can only guess as to what might help.
By cervelo84 2013-12-13 18:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninja very good for hard mode AA fights.

You could easily get away with being a full time ninja and have a lot of fun with it. Skirmish you can dps. WKR you can tank / dps. Solo trust / RoE your dps. The attack speed is great and its fun having 100 tp faster then most jobs.

My wife plays only dnc since that's all she had time to get to 99. She does just fine. SKC normal mode, wkr, all of it.
By darthjahjahbear 2013-12-13 18:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice. What ws/wpn are you using? I might unlock blade hi soon. We need a place or at least to be a good option as a DD or tank mainly for delve at least. I wish it could happen . . .
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-12-13 18:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Ninjas (Where are they now)
They're there but you can't see them..cause, well, they're ninja.
[+]
By cervelo84 2013-12-13 18:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

with a good trick attacker x 2-3 ninja can hold threat and I see delve being 12 manned or less soon after +1 reforged gear is obtained.
By darthjahjahbear 2013-12-13 18:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I havent gotten any revamped af yet. They keep releasing upgrades every other week . . . Lol.
 Asura.Aikchan
Server: Asura
user: Aikawa
By Asura.Aikchan 2013-12-13 18:56:48
Link | Quote | Reply

cervelo84 said: »
with a good trick attacker x 2-3 ninja can hold threat and I see delve being 12 manned or less soon after +1 reforged gear is obtained.

its already low manned(8ppl) before even REM revamp...
By Pantafernando 2013-12-13 19:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Atm, we are more close to abyssea than to adoulin.
Its easy the logic:
challegnge can be lowmaned, solo jobs can triumph: thf, bst, nin, pup, dnc
challenge requires alliance, so suport role jobs, heavy dds come on top.
And today, the game is going to solo challenge. Wouldnt be surprised if the solo jobs restart to shine in next content.
Thats how ffxi works. By seasons.
Just wait your time, soon it will come.
By Pantafernando 2013-12-13 19:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Talking about nin, where does drop the katana ilv119?
If its from new ark angel bcnm, it drop in any difficult or must be hard very hard?
Thanks.
By volkom 2013-12-13 19:25:22
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By darthjahjahbear 2013-12-13 21:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

No way... its a monk!
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2013-12-13 22:34:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Talking about nin, where does drop the katana ilv119?
If its from new ark angel bcnm, it drop in any difficult or must be hard very hard?
Thanks.

AA Mithra Difficult.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2013-12-14 00:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

As other have said, NIN isn't doing too great, but most of the content in the game is easy enough so that you gear NIN well it won't really cripple you or anything. I can't speak for the average NIN because my weapons are probably not something most people will bother getting.

As far as tanking goes, I'm not even sure what the heck they are thinking. Ochain reduces damage to like 20% of what everyone else takes but they still think NINs getting shadow wipes constantly can even come close. They need to introduce something that allows a NIN to dodge a lot to match that, like a lot. They need to have a katana that breaks the evasion cap and lets you dodge like 90% of everything including TP moves for it to be worthwhile.

(And they'd still get floored by magic anyway)
 Valefor.Omnys
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2013-12-14 01:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The ninja unemployment line:

By darthjahjahbear 2013-12-14 04:00:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Our jobs please.
By darthjahjahbear 2013-12-14 04:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply