Triboxing Leads To Computer Crashing...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Triboxing leads to computer crashing...
Triboxing leads to computer crashing...
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 19:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey guys!
Been a while since I have been back into the game. I am having trouble with my tri-box setup. I cannot get the damn thing to stay stable. My problem started after the new expansion came out. They have changed so many things since then that I cannot tell what is active compared to the older version of windower and the game.

I can log one character in just fine and run around to kill things and what not. If I try and log on a 2nd or 3rd character, my entire computer just clicks off after a few moments of them being logged in and in public areas of the game, even a seemingly low population zone such as port sandy will cause the crash. I have tried unloading all plugins and still no change. I have also tried this over a couple of different internet connections and still no go.

I am convinced at this point that there is an error or something with windower. Although before SoA was released I was able to use all 3 characters with minimal lag with windower 4.

Unfortunately I cannot post a crash report for this deal because the computer completely shuts down. Anyone else have this problem in the past and can help me out?

The only plugins I would like to be able to use are binder, cancel, blinkmenot, TPparty, and timers. Anything else for my play style is pointless for now. I would really like to figure this thing out so that my subscriptions that I spent already for this month do not go to waste.

Comp specs:
Acer Aspire 5552G
AMD Phenom(tm) II N970 Quad-Core 2.20 ghz
4 gig ram
Win 7 Home premium 64bit Service pack 1
4.5 on the windows experience index
AMD radeon HD 6650M video card
2.8 ghz of video memory.

I have not tried to use any of the new UI changes to the game, not even enabled in the FFXIconfig program. The only thing I can think of is that the 3 instances are running the video card hardcore. But... like I said, earlier the computer seemed to be able to handle the load just fine. Please anyone out there can you help?
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 19:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Trying the .net framework repair tool to see if that finds anything... I really would hate to have to reinstall all of XI and windower again, but that is my next course of action.
By Heimdel 2013-09-07 19:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

well for one see how much ram is being used with win 7 and ffxi running at same time. win 7 isn't leaving much ram to run things in general with only 4g if i remember. 2nd the game has just become glitchy and unstable anymore.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-09-07 19:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

check your event log, try graphics stabilization in ffxi config, try crippling your settings to see if it's still happening with a much lower load, report back on the aforementioned
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 20:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

These are all of the error messages that seem to be logged for just today, this thing seems to be generating a lot of bugs. But I am not computer literate enough to translate this stuff to a layperson understanding and a possible fix. I have tried lowering the graphics settings too. still attempting the .net repair tool seems to be taking a long time.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 20:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Heh, too many characters, I am sure you get the jist of the errors from the above spoiler, but just in case... cont:

I am going to have to wait for the .net repair to process before I can try delving into the FFXI config again and to try logging back in. Thanks for the tips Comeatmebro...

edit: incase it is relevant, I am using PDAnet to tether my 3g motorola phone for internet. Like I said before this connection used to handle all 3 instances easily.

edit2: damn .net repair tool is taking for-***-ever....
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-09-07 21:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Heimdel said: »
well for one see how much ram is being used with win 7 and ffxi running at same time. win 7 isn't leaving much ram to run things in general with only 4g if i remember. 2nd the game has just become glitchy and unstable anymore.

each instance of ffxi eat up slightly below ½ gig of am so that 1.5 gig to the game more than enough leftover for win7 and misc background stuff

i quad box on a 4gb setup fine.
i do get some sever lags some time due to cpu resources being to low
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 22:17:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Can anyone think of a reason as to why the computer completely shuts down? I would think that normally the game instances would just crash. Makes me dread the thought that my computer might crap out on me soon...
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2013-09-07 22:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Check if it's your system temps leading to emergency power offs with HWMonitor.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 22:25:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Where do I find HWMonitor and how should I go about using it? Do I need it running while I attempt to log on the 3 accounts?
edit: ok found a download for it. I see what you are saying now, might be an overheating issue? Ugh, dusty laptops are a *** to clean out...
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 22:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm looking at my own data from the hardware monitor while the computer is not using FFXI at all, it looks like the min/max values are identical to the "current" reading across the board. what does that mean? is the Max/min values just a parse of what it has currently been allowed to monitor?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-09-07 23:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

yea, laptops are extremely prone to overheating as well, that's probably your culprit

it's possible you can solve it using compressed air on the vents, but it's more likely you'd need to disassemble the machine and dust internally as well as replace your thermal compound

(and yes hwmonitor temps are only what it's been allowed to monitor, anything above 80 implies your cooling is performing poorly and most laptops will shut off automatically ~95-100c though it's possible for the threshold to be higher or lower)

i am a bit curious why your processor is firmware limitted, have you underclocked it?
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 23:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenhas you might have narrowed it down for me a great deal thank you. I think I was overheating, I put the laptop on an elevated stand to let it breath underneath it and it seems to be staying stable.

With all 3 instances up at the moment I am running a temperature of 93-95C degrees across all 4 cores of my CPU, my GPU is running 83-85C degrees, THRM is running 92-95C degrees, my question to you now would be, is that still too hot? Mind you these temperatures are idling in MH not active game play.

Thanks again Xenhas, you may have forced a solution into my brain.... Dunno why I didn't have it set up like this... I used to run my laptop on a platform while running the game a few months ago. /facepalmatmyselffornotdoingthissooner
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 23:15:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
yea, laptops are extremely prone to overheating as well, that's probably your culprit

it's possible you can solve it using compressed air on the vents, but it's more likely you'd need to disassemble the machine and dust internally as well as replace your thermal compound

(and yes hwmonitor temps are only what it's been allowed to monitor, anything above 80 implies your cooling is performing poorly and most laptops will shut off automatically ~95-100c though it's possible for the threshold to be higher or lower)

i am a bit curious why your processor is firmware limitted, have you underclocked it?

Hmm, 95 is pushing it then, I wonder if I can force a cooler temperature with my power setting adjusted down?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-09-07 23:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Your hardware will burn out running at that temperature consistantly. It might take a day, week, even a month or two, but it's definitely not a healthy temperature. A cooling pad, cooler room temperature, lower power, or elevation may help a bit.. but they're not the solution. The temperature isn't rising because more heat is being generated, it's rising because it's failing to leave the machine. You likely need to replace thermal paste, replace a broken fan, or clear a severe dust obstruction.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2013-09-07 23:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok man thanks, ugh here comes the tedious part, I hate tearing open laptops.

Thank you everyone for the help though.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Server: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2013-09-08 03:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Although not the best solution, but a simple one if you aren't comfortable with taking apart your laptop, is to go with some compressed air.

Turn your laptop off, unplug it, take out the battery (if you can, just in case,) and spray compressed air into any and all vents and openings. Keep your laptop off for a minute or so, just in case there is any residual moisture from the compressed air.

Of course, this is just a quick solution, and a repaste may be better, but if you aren't comfortable doing it, taking your laptop apart isn't a good idea.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
Server: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-09-12 11:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Anytime a computer just shuts down by itself it's a heating issue, not likely anything software based unless you built it and configured something wrong yourself

this is soo not the case.
plenty of other problems can lead to sudden shutdowns

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
Server: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2013-09-12 11:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If your computer shuts off, it shouldn't be due to software changes. It is more likely you're having hardware issues. I would check your ram and video card. How old is this laptop? If it's within the manufacturer's warranty, I would get it serviced.

I would check the memory first, then remove the memory stick(s). You may also have multiple problems. If you have insufficient cooling, you can try a cooling pad fan which is around 10 bucks. That way you can still use your laptop and not boiling your nuts.
 Fenrir.Boomslang
Server: Fenrir
user: neoyukio
By Fenrir.Boomslang 2013-09-12 11:57:52
Link | Quote | Reply

We had the same issue on Murai's laptop a few weeks ago. He could play for about an hour, and he'd thermal shut down. If he dual boxed he shut down in like 10 mins. Pulled his heat sync off and there was no thermal paste as the laptop was 3 or so years old and the crap they use at the factory had disintegrated. If you have any technical prowess at all, it is not difficult to pull the thing apart and reapply thermal paste and blow out the fans.

I highly recommend if you're going that route to spend the extra cash and buy some high grade compound. That way you wont have to take it apart for a loooooonnng time. I perfer Arctic silver myself, but it's getting hard to find.

It was day and night once we were done. Laptop was completely cool to the touch.

Also, check the ram, but laptops are notorious for thermal issues. I'd put my money on thermal compound.
By Elazar1 2013-09-12 12:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You could aways do what I do I use 3 laptop's and no there lol.
By kenshynofshiva 2013-09-12 13:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

One issue with this game when multi boxing is video ram causing lock ups especially on systems that share ram for video memory. Run each pol process in as low of video graphics reso you can stand and see if that makes a difference.