All Worlds Maintenance (Sep. 3)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIV » News » All Worlds Maintenance (Sep. 3)
All Worlds Maintenance (Sep. 3)
First Page 2
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-02 13:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Begins:
Sep 03, 2013 17:00 PDT
Ends:
Sep 04, 2013 03:00 PDT
Automatically converted to your timezone

09/02/2013 1:33 AM
[Maintenance] All Worlds Maintenance (Sep. 3)
At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn to perform the operations listed below. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

[Details]
- Addition of new Worlds
- Implementation of countermeasures to handle the influx of concurrent user counts as a result of split processing the duty finder
- Address several known issues

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after the date and time below.

* We will announce details of the fixes at a later time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
From Sep. 3, 2013 5:00 p.m. to Sep. 4, 2013 3:00 a.m. (PDT)
* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

09/03/2013 3:00 AM
Server Congestion and Trial Period Extensions (09/03/2013)
We would like to thank all our customers for their continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Since the beginning of official service on August 27, 2013, the number of users attempting to access the game has significantly exceeded our initial estimates. While we are pleased to see support for the game reach far beyond our expectations, the servers were not prepared to handle this influx of players. As a result, our servers have been pushed beyond maximum capacity. In order to allow access to as many users as possible, we have implemented login and character creation restrictions. We understand, however, that these restrictions have greatly inconvenienced our players.

To resolve this issue, we will be performing maintenance from September 3, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. to September 4, 2013, at 3:00 a.m (PDT), for the purpose of increasing the number of available Worlds, reducing stress on the Duty Finder servers, and increasing the number of concurrent logins allowed for each server.

Because login and character creation restrictions have hindered our ability to provide quality service, all FINAL FANTASY XIV service accounts will receive an additional seven days of free play time. Furthermore, users who have yet to enter their registration codes will receive an additional seven-day trial should they register before 11:59 p.m. (PDT) on September 9, 2013. Moving forward, we will continue monitoring the servers to ensure that quality service and support are provided in a timely manner.

09/04/2013 1:49 AM
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Updated (Sep. 3)
A version update was performed on FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn at the following time.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 3, 2013 at around 11:10 p.m. (PDT)

[Affected Service]

[Update Details]
* Update details will be announced at a later time.
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-09-02 14:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just about to post this since it's been thrown around everywhere but couldnt actually find it till just now. Looks like I gotta try get to bed early tomorrow night D: and hope everything is fixed when I wake up ;-;
[+]
Forum Moderator
By AnnaMolly 2013-09-02 18:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, it's a good think I've had my orange juice.
[+]
By mikuu 2013-09-02 19:18:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What will I do for those hours cry
[+]
 Bismarck.Tragedie
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2013-09-03 02:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Begins:
Sep 03, 2013 17:00 PDT
Ends:
Sep 04, 2013 03:00 PDT
Automatically converted to your timezone

09/02/2013 1:33 AM
[Maintenance] All Worlds Maintenance (Sep. 3)
At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn to perform the operations listed below. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

[Details]
- Retiring Error 1017
- Implementing Error 1018

[Date & Time]
From Sep. 3, 2013 5:00 p.m. to Sep. 4, 2013 3:00 a.m. (PDT)
* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]

j/k... looking forward to the added server capacity and reliability on Wednesday (emergency maintenances or other issues are possible of course, but I'm staying positive).

^.^b
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-03 11:41:24
Link | Quote | Reply

09/03/2013 3:00 AM
Server Congestion and Trial Period Extensions (09/03/2013)
We would like to thank all our customers for their continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Since the beginning of official service on August 27, 2013, the number of users attempting to access the game has significantly exceeded our initial estimates. While we are pleased to see support for the game reach far beyond our expectations, the servers were not prepared to handle this influx of players. As a result, our servers have been pushed beyond maximum capacity. In order to allow access to as many users as possible, we have implemented login and character creation restrictions. We understand, however, that these restrictions have greatly inconvenienced our players.

To resolve this issue, we will be performing maintenance from September 3, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. to September 4, 2013, at 3:00 a.m (PDT), for the purpose of increasing the number of available Worlds, reducing stress on the Duty Finder servers, and increasing the number of concurrent logins allowed for each server.

Because login and character creation restrictions have hindered our ability to provide quality service, all FINAL FANTASY XIV service accounts will receive an additional seven days of free play time. Furthermore, users who have yet to enter their registration codes will receive an additional seven-day trial should they register before 11:59 p.m. (PDT) on September 9, 2013. Moving forward, we will continue monitoring the servers to ensure that quality service and support are provided in a timely manner.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-09-03 15:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn...ordered mine from Amazon around the 17th of August. Estimated delivery was some stupid range of days like Sept 9th to the 19th. Pretty high chance to get screwed out of the extra 7 free days I guess ;;. Or is that saying Registered accounts will get 14 days free in total?
 Sylph.Chrisstreb
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Chrisstreb 2013-09-03 15:59:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bojack said: »
Damn...ordered mine from Amazon around the 17th of August. Estimated delivery was some stupid range of days like Sept 9th to the 19th. Pretty high chance to get screwed out of the extra 7 free days I guess ;;. Or is that saying Registered accounts will get 14 days free in total?

Those with accounts from 1.0 get 14 day welcome back trials, plus the additional 7 days I believe (so really its 21 free days in a sense)

People that purchase ARR get a 30 day free trial, irregardless of prior game status.
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-09-03 18:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said: »

Those with accounts from 1.0 get 14 day welcome back trials, plus the additional 7 days I believe (so really its 21 free days in a sense)

People that purchase ARR get a 30 day free trial, irregardless of prior game status.

Free 30 day trial? Where did they say that?
 Leviathan.Phenomena
Server: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-09-03 18:46:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone who buys a knew copy of the game gets a 30 day free trial. which if you are legacy extends your 14 day free gift and now adds on 7 days because of server issues. so 51 days... almost 2 months free for mine xD which i believe wont start until tomorrow.
By Quiznor 2013-09-03 18:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Chrisstreb said: »

Free 30 day trial? Where did they say that?

I have a 1.0 non-legacy account,so my free time was to the 9th or whenever it changed,I bought a ps3 copy just in case as well,and when I redeemed that I got my 30 days added on,last I looked I was at 37 days I think :3 and now adding these new ones :D
 Bahamut.Bojack
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-09-03 18:59:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah damn, nice ^^
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-03 20:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Just going through news postings I've ignored while playing :<

Don't want to make a topic for this one so just posting it here:

08-29-2013 04:22 PM
[source]
Okipuit
Community Rep

Greetings, everyone.

I know that the topic of users idling for long periods of time has become quite the hot topic due to the current login limitations. I wanted to let you know that the development team is aware of the discussions going on by users.

Currently, the implementation of a feature that would automatically disconnect a user who is idle for a specific amount of time is something that will be investigated once the currently announced plans and adjustments have been completed. Once that is in place, we'll be able to see a clearer picture of the concurrency numbers and get a better understanding of what steps need to be taken next.

I know that this is a "we'll need to wait and see and investigate," but it's important that we let you know where we currently stand on the topic.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-03 20:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

08-30-2013 03:57 PM
[source]
Naoki Yoshida
Dev Team

Further Details on Access Restrictions

This is FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn producer and director Naoki Yoshida and I would like to take the time to personally apologize once again to all those players who have been affected by the extended World login and character creation restrictions which have been in place for the past several days. I also understand that apologies will not help you get logged in, so I would like to give you an update on the situation at hand and the various measures we are currently employing to alleviate the situation.

Concurrent Connections

On the night following the announcement of our plans to temporarily limit sales of the download version, A Realm Reborn recorded upwards of 218,000 concurrent connections. This is in spite of the fact that the peak login times for separate regions around the world arrive at differing intervals. We estimate that without time zone differences, the total number of concurrent connections would number anywhere from 300,000 to 350,000.

As many of you know, this is the second launch for FINAL FANTASY XIV─something unprecedented in the MMORPG market. Considering the outcome of our first launch, our sales estimates for this one were decidedly conservative, as we believed that there would be a more gradual rise in users over the opening weeks and months.

Instead, to our pleasant surprise, we experienced tremendous support from a great number of players who were eager to get into the game from day one. To ensure that these players, once logged in, were able to play in a stable environment, we were required to implement login restrictions which kept server population near maximum capacity without exceeding those numbers.

The fact that we had to implement these restrictions is a direct result of my inaccurate sales and login estimates, and as producer, I must accept complete responsibility for this misstep. Each and every player who has been affected has my deepest apologies.

The Reasoning behind Login Restrictions

Each FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn World server has been designed to support a maximum of 5,000 concurrent connections. This is not the maximum number of characters which can be created on a World, however, but the maximum number of characters which can be logged into that World simultaneously. When more than 5,000 characters log into a World at once, there is a higher risk of server crashes and login errors. The restoration of crashed servers is usually followed by a rush of players attempting to log back in, which, in turn, puts a strain on our lobby server, and can ultimately have an adverse affect on all of the Worlds.

To prevent this from happening, we felt that the safest course of action would be to limit logins. However, we would like you to know that the restrictions are under constant surveillance. We are currently monitoring login numbers on all Worlds 24 hours a day, and actively removing/applying restrictions as soon as we detect even the smallest fluctuation in concurrent connection numbers.

Currently, peak login times for each region are occurring from approximately 9:00 p.m. to midnight. During this three-hour window, Worlds are more likely to have login restrictions implemented. These temporary restrictions are expected to continue until the time that we can execute the measures we have planned to alleviate the current situation. Those measures, including the addition of new World servers, are listed, in detail, below.

Character Creation Restrictions

As stated above, the maximum number of simultaneous connections each World server can handle is 5,000, while the number of characters which can be created on a World is several times that amount. This estimate of 5,000, however, is based on those characters being somewhat distributed over all the in-game areas (zones).

At the game’s start, however, while everyone is still at a low level, the majority of players are concentrated in the three city-states and surrounding areas. This can not only lead to a lack of enemies to slay (preventing quest progression), but also see area servers overloaded, and ultimately lead to crashes.

Fortunately, differences in total individual play time, login times, and character/class progression will eventually lead to players being more spread out within each World. Once this happens, there will be less need for both login and character creation restrictions.

As is the case with logins, our team is working around the clock, monitoring the current population of each area in each World, as well as the class level of each character, and adjusting new character creation restrictions based on their findings. Unlike login restrictions, we believe that character creation restrictions may take slightly longer to be removed, as there are still great discrepancies in the distribution of characters across Worlds, and we thank players for their patience and understanding in this issue.

Adding Worlds and Alleviating Server Load Issues

A server is essentially a high-spec PC, with each FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn World being made up of several of these machines. Creating a new World involves physically acquiring the servers, installing the necessary programs, and conducting internal functionality tests...all before opening the World to the public.

As the login data gathered from the Open Beta test (in which anyone, including those who had not purchased the game, could participate) was inconclusive, it was during the Early Access period that we had a clearer picture of the scope with which we would need to increase World capacity, and on the 25th of August began making preparations to do so significantly.

As of this post, the servers have been acquired, the essential programs installed, and we are currently in the process of conducting our internal tests. Once these tests have concluded and the Worlds go live, we believe we will be able to better accommodate a greater number of our players, making logging in less of a hassle.

In addition to increasing the number of Worlds, we are also optimizing the Duty Finder (party matching) management servers in an effort to reduce server load and ensure better stability when using this feature.

Currently, the Duty Finder servers split our data centers into two groups of 25 Worlds, and then do the party matching from players from within the same data center. We have determined that by adding new Worlds, the Duty Finder servers will not be able to process the additional data as long as there are only two pairings of groups to match from. Therefore, we have decided to create additional groups to alleviate this problem before it occurs, and by doing so, reduce the burden on the Duty Finder servers, and ultimately allow more players to access the feature.

The development and operations teams are currently concentrating 100% of their efforts into the aforementioned tasks and are on pace to have both completed by the beginning of next week and then released to the public once our final tests have concluded. Once a date and time for the implementation of the measures have been solidified, we will release another announcement on Lodestone outlining the details. We ask that you bear with us for just a few days longer while we make the final push.

Resolving AFK Character Issues

From several users on some of our more congested Worlds, we have received requests for a feature which automatically logs out characters who are AFK for an extended period of time. We are actively looking into the implementation of such a feature, but have decided to first concentrate our efforts on increasing the number of Worlds and optimizing the Duty Finder servers.

In Conclusion

The development and operations teams are working diligently to combat the login issues which many of our users are currently facing, and ask for your continued patience and understanding over the next several days as we move to solve these problems.

To thank all of you for bearing with us for so long, we will be looking into different ways to reward our loyal fans and customers, such as an extension of the free trial period. Details on the plans we have in the works will be announced shortly.

In conclusion, I would like to say that we have been overwhelmed with the positive response for A realm Reborn, which is why it doubly pains us to implement any sort of measure that may restrict people from joining us in Eorzea. We sincerely apologize for the unwanted stress these restrictions have caused, and thank you immensely for the understanding you have shown over the past week. The fixes are almost in place and we look forward to seeing all of you very, very soon.

Thank you.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Producer & Director Naoki Yoshida
[+]
By daemun 2013-09-03 20:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

While I understand this was a utterly necessary maintenance, I am dying with anticipation to get back into Eorzia. I have my best irl friend from college joined up on a small team of old XI players, my brother-in-law and myself. We are anxious to jump into some dungeon and party based content, have a blast on skype, and engulf ourselves in a fantasy world.

I completely understand SEs need to do this maint ASAP, and I'm actually rather happy with their response times (I bet they paid big bucks to jump to the front of the line on those server machines). However, I'm sorely upset it is smack dab in the middle of my prime and I don't even know what to do for the next 5hrs until bed. FPS, you've been my booty call for some time. I'm drunk and it's 2AM, can I come over?
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-03 20:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

09-01-2013 12:38 PM
[source]
Naoki Yoshida
Dev Team

Login Issue Update

I know many of you are still affected by the World login and character creation restrictions, so I would like to give you all a brief update on the progress of the measures we are taking to alleviate this situation.

Current Server Status

To ensure as many players as possible can log in and create characters on existing servers, our development and operations teams are monitoring server load and population around the clock, placing and removing restrictions with even the slightest fluctuation in numbers in order to maintain near-full capacity on each World. We are still experiencing maximum concurrent connection numbers of over 230,000 users. This number, however, has taxed some of our instance servers, and is causing unexpected down time here, as well.

Scheduled Maintenance for Wednesday, September 4 (Japan Time)

The addition of new Worlds, as well as the adjustments to the duty finder servers, will be complete as of tomorrow. We will then enter our final internal testing phase of these features in preparation. If the results from these tests are favorable, we will conduct an extended all-World maintenance on Wednesday (Japan time). Once the new Worlds are implemented and the duty finder server load has been redistributed over smaller World server groups, we believe that many of the login issues that players are currently experiencing will clear.

When Worlds do finally reopen after the maintenance, we expect a rush of players trying to log back in. To prevent any further login issues, we will be using the utmost caution when restarting each World. Please understand that there may be some congestion at this time.

The development and operations teams are currently dedicating their full resources to alleviating the issues at hand and providing all of our players with a stable environment in which to experience the realm of Eorzea.

Free Trial Extension

To apologize to our loyal fans who may not have been able to login or create characters during early access and the days immediately following launch, the development and operations teams are currently considering providing all player accounts with an additional seven days to their free trials. This includes non-legacy players from 1.0, who will be given new seven-day free trials. Trial extensions will be awarded after the aforementioned server maintenance on Wednesday. Details on the trial extension, including the extension period, will be released in a separate post as soon as they have been solidified.

We thank our fans again for the overwhelming support you have shown us over the past week. The response to FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn has well exceeded our expectations, and unfortunately resulted in our inability to provide the service which we originally intended. We humbly ask for your continued patience as we work to alleviate the issues as we truly appreciate all of our fans. We are very sorry for the frustration that has resulted from these problems.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Producer & Director Naoki Yoshida
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-09-03 21:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So. Will they not increase each worlds capacity limit from 5k to like 10k? or 7500 just incase of huge influx?

Also I wonder how many servers they acquired. are they doubling the amount of worlds? will max players be only 500k? or 460k if my math is right. 500k doesnt seem like a lot... i thought ffxi had millions at one point?
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-03 21:21:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to say in it's prime it had 600k customers, but I'm not sure about the number of characters. I would like to say 4-6 mil characters
By Quiznor 2013-09-03 21:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
So. Will they not increase each worlds capacity limit from 5k to like 10k? or 7500 just incase of huge influx?

Also I wonder how many servers they acquired. are they doubling the amount of worlds? will max players be only 500k? or 460k if my math is right. 500k doesnt seem like a lot... i thought ffxi had millions at one point?

The way I see understand the wording,if the fixes tonight work,they can remove the cap,allowing 5k people in and maybe even more with the upgrades they are putting in. They dont want to say "yeah 20k people can log in after today" until they see how the hardware reacts
[+]
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-09-03 22:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
I want to say in it's prime it had 600k customers, but I'm not sure about the number of characters. I would like to say 4-6 mil characters

ah that makes sense. ty. I was confusing characters with customers xD
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-04 01:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

-bump-

patch 2013.09.01.0000.0001 is up xP

It's going pretty fast right now.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-09-04 01:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

patching!
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-04 02:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

09/04/2013 1:49 AM
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Updated (Sep. 3)
A version update was performed on FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn at the following time.

[Date & Time]
Sep. 3, 2013 at around 11:10 p.m. (PDT)

[Affected Service]

[Update Details]
* Update details will be announced at a later time.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2013-09-04 02:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

bah, i guess im not reserving a slot on my PS3 I should not try to read while a bit asleep :(
 Asura.Masekase
Server: Asura
user: masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2013-09-04 03:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Loving the game cant wait to get back on. So much has changed since 1.0 and beta. I am on Masamune (LEGACY) server got stuck on there from when was in the beta was away when they offered the transfer. My name on there is Masekase Hurricane.

Also thought only could go on there if you was a legacy player. I played but didnt re subscribe before the deadline when 1.0 shut down. Also on JP server but its not too bad may move when transfers are available.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2013-09-04 04:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

For anyone watching this board, maint is over (apparently 40min+ sooner than expected! :D)
VIP
By Kalila 2013-09-04 05:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Server queue but no 1017 .-. yay?
 Asura.Masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2013-09-04 06:20:28
Link | Quote | Reply

WOW straight on no queue nothing :)
 Asura.Masekase
By Asura.Masekase 2013-09-04 09:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

well that didnt take long for it to get back to the way it was before. Back to world is full try again lol
By Kimble2013 2013-09-04 09:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So.... nothing has changed? They can't at least put is in a queue?
First Page 2