users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Leathercraft » Leathercraft 9-28
Leathercraft 9-28
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-07-08 08:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

My leathercraft is 9 and i want it leveled to 28 for various reasons, however when i look at the recipe lists i am not sure what is best to skill up on and am a little stumped. If anyone knows the best recipes or any tips please do say!

Thanky you
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-07-08 08:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Leathercraft_0-60_by_Ctownwoody

That's the guide my girlfriend is primarily using while raising her leathercraft (she's at 27 or 28 now).
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2009-07-08 09:04:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I have been levelling my leathercraft over the summer in my spare time. Here are a few tips that have gotten me to where I am now.

1. Don't use a guide.
(I tried this in the beginning, but I started losing money drastically, so I stopped.)

2. Get Trainee's Needle.
(It is basically a permanent Synthesis Support in case you are doing a synth that is slightly on the higher side.

3. Use the recipes section on ffxiah to chose recipes that are as cheap as possible.
(Also, look for ones that sale for profit."

4. Aim for ~5 level gaps.
(6 is ok, but I recomend support (or the needle), 5 is personal preference whether to use needle or not, 4-2 no needle, once you are 1 or 2 away, get a different recipe.)

That is all I can think of at the moment, I hope it is helpful.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-07-08 09:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree on ignoring the guides. They're always a good starting point and will get you going on the right direction. Just make sure to compare different guides and see which works best for you price wise.
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-07-08 09:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

well i agree with using this site totally i got bonecraft 100.. and now leather 67 using no guide just this site i totally recommend using this site instead of a guide
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-07-08 10:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is what I recommend:

9-12 Lizard Strap (Farm skins in CN, the lizards there give up to 8 items eggs/skins/tails)

12-14 Lizard Mantle (Farm skins like above, grass thread and lizard molts are cheap! NPC results)

14-16 Lizard Gloves (Farm skins again, buy leather gloves, synth/desynth or just NPC)

16-21 Dhalmel Leather (Farm Dhalmels in Bubu)

21-24 Bugard Leather (Farm Bugards in Tavnazia area)

24-26 Dhalmel Mantle (Farm Dhalmels again in Bubu)

26-31 Parchment (Farm sheep in Konst. Highlands, Rolanberries are cheap, these will actually sell decently on AH)

31-35 Ram Leather (Farm Rams in Konst. Highlands, might consider leveling bonecraft and using the ram horns for that)
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-07-08 10:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a good guide to leathercraft.

Farm your hides.

Tada!
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-07-08 10:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

When I did leather, the best piece of advice I got was to farm everything and just eat the level gaps.

If I was 12 Leather, instead of bothering with all the gears and whatnot that took 3-4 materials, I skipped straight to Dhalmel leather. I'd just take THF out, farm all skins and then just push through the 10 level gap. I found with farming the crystals (Dark Elementals in Castle Z) and farming the skins, then buying the tea leaves from Windy, I lost less money (and in some cases, made GOOD money) by doing this. If there was a gap too big, I'd do the bare minimum of level bridge synths before moving back to skins.

So my advice would be do the lizard strap to 12 and then head straight to Dhalmels -> Bugards -> Rams. Farm until your inventory is full, then go to the guild for Advanced Support. Once you're 5 levels from gap, you can craft out in the field. When a gap is took big, search the site, or ctownwoodys guide (my personal favorite) and find a bridge synth you can use that's cheap or easy to farm. Do that synth until the gap is more managable, then head to the next Skin. You WILL break at first. 8-10 level gaps will do that to you. But because you farmed everything, these breaks cost you nothing. :) As the gap narrows, breaks occur less often.

Everyone does crafting differently, but thats how I did it and it was this route that worked best for me and made me decide to main Leathercrafting. 68 now, 32 levels to go. ~.~

Edit: Also! If you're not already past Bonecrafting level, it's a good idea to level Bone at the same time, as the synths tend to coincide nicely!
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-07-08 11:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Alijah said:
You WILL break at first. 8-10 level gaps will do that to you. But because you farmed everything, these breaks cost you nothing. :) As the gap narrows, breaks occur less often.

I would strongly recommend to not do this especially when you have to spend time farming. When you are 6+ levels away from the cap you can never get a skillup on a break. 1-5 levels from cap even if you fail you can skillup. Maybe you are one of those people who have hours and hours to farm endlessly, but when I craft getting to the next level quickly is what I strive for.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-07-08 11:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well like I said, everyone does it different. I dont much care for XP'ing, so spending my on-game time farming/leveling NPC didnt bother me at all. If it's what works for you great, if not, there are many other methods.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2009-07-08 11:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Took me 2 days to hit 35 following this path and adding ram leather to the end.

Sheep Leather (2)-Dark Crystal, Distilled Water, Windurstian Tea Leaves, Sheepskin

Solea (11)-Wind Crystal, Sheep Leather x2

Lizard Cesti (17)-Earth Crystal, Lizard Skin, Cesti- Cesti are available at the Weapons Store in South Sandy

Dhalmel Leather (21)-Dark Crystal, Distilled Water, Windurstian Tea Leaves, Dhalmel Hide

Bugard Leather (24)-Dark Crystal, Distilled Water, Windurstian Tea Leaves, Bugard Skin

Parchment (31)-Dark Crystal, Sheep Leather, Rolanberry--Get the berries from Jeuno NPCs.
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-07-08 18:01:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks alot everyone this is so unbelievably helpful - i think ive found my guide :P ^
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-08 18:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah just farm all your stuff :B
Leathercraft is so awesome in how you can just farm most of the stuff
 Gilgamesh.Minusseven
By Gilgamesh.Minusseven 2009-07-08 18:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Yeah just farm all your stuff :B
Leathercraft is so awesome in how you can just farm most of the stuff

its funny, itsnot hard to farm it/make things like leathers but they sell for so much o.0
 Carbuncle.Cianti
Server: Carbuncle
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-07-08 22:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Its unrealistic to farm all your materials.. buy them but farm other stuff to fund it.