Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » BST Soloing
BST Soloing
 Pandemonium.Krebons
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Krebons
By Pandemonium.Krebons 2009-07-06 17:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Now i know every bst has this same issue with people stealing $$ nms when bst is soloing the IE: Despot Amement ect. Is there a way to keep it claimed to you while pet swapping without risking death? or are we just screwed>? Since apperently everyone is greedy and has no common courtesy.
 Garuda.Maasahn
Server: Garuda
user: maasahn
By Garuda.Maasahn 2009-07-06 17:48:32
Link | Quote | Reply

ive thought about putting a dia in my leave macro, so as soon as i drop my pet i dia goes off but that can cause a number of problems, 1 you have to be close to the mob, 2 magic aggro in some areas. all in all ive come to the determination we're just screwed if there are other ppl waiting on us to lose claim for that split second. only other thing ive tired are duoing, but then its a 50/50 split but atleast its some money.
 Pandemonium.Krebons
By Pandemonium.Krebons 2009-07-06 17:50:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Figured much. Wish SE would do something about that. Sucks haveing to CFH on despot cause you know someones gonna take it.
 Bahamut.Razorback
Server: Bahamut
user: Razorback
By Bahamut.Razorback 2009-07-06 18:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I had that problem too. And the party attacked pets or slept them too. GM didnt do a thing...
 Bahamut.Reeve
Server: Bahamut
user: Reeve
By Bahamut.Reeve 2009-07-06 18:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep, BST is flawed when it comes to pet swapping and the target mob going unclaimed, I've lost count how many times I've lost a NM thanks to this and opportunistic greedy players who manage to grab it away at 3% during a swap, even on silly things like Aquarius lol...

Saying that though, one of my BST friends was soloing Aquarius once and Dia killed it whilst it went unclaimed... I thought it was hilarious ^_^
 Midgardsormr.October
Server: Midgardsormr
user: izzlet
By Midgardsormr.October 2009-07-06 18:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Really the only solution to this is to duo/trio. Even then there's been times I'm duoing and we've lost claim on the NM. You can have the 2nd person's mob still on the NM when you're swapping pets and switch back and forth. Just have to hope and be really careful.
Perhaps poison the world's water supply with happiness and friendship so people won't be tempted to steal your NMs. :(
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-07-06 18:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Happened to me last night, not on BST, while doing a ZNM on my BLM. I feel your pain :( People are not nice at all and have no courtesy. SE should it harder for mobs to unclaim.
 Asura.Deodate
Server: Asura
user: deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-07-06 19:20:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is, it's not a glitch or a mistake. SE only allows a player to target 1 mob at a time, so a single person can't hold multiple mobs. It's not the fact that you have released the pet that causes the "target" to go unclaimed, it's the fact that you've targeted a new mob (in the process of charming).

There's no real "solution" while soloing other than using jug pets. One option that probably won't be very effective, but COULD help, is to wait as long as possible before charming your next pet so you can put it on your enemy with as little "yellow" time as possible. Greedy people will still be able to take it of course if they are fast enough, or just kill/sleep the pets you need, but...this is the only thing we can do. SE will never fix this as they don't view it as a problem w/ the programming (in fact, it's working exactly as they intended it).
 Pandemonium.Krebons
By Pandemonium.Krebons 2009-07-06 21:39:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I understand that maybe thats the way its intended, but i think the BST community should unite and picket for SE to change it lawl.. /sigh, least i can solo amement with onvinnick 2 houred
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [101 days between previous and next post]
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-10-15 18:33:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Erm they should make it that when you Claim something, its your for good, but ff is *** like that.
 Siren.Wolfpack
Server: Siren
user: wolfpack
By Siren.Wolfpack 2009-10-15 18:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe the next update will help us out.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-10-15 19:00:45
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I don't solo on BST anymore, people know they can just gank your ***at 1%, like the Llwyd's clogs NM, I spent 2 hours getting that thing to 1% and rdm pops and thunder III's during pet swap.

The update will redoubtably do something useless though, this is BST we're talking about, MNK's *** all the time "Baaaaw, SE hates us" But of all the jobs BST has easily been the most ***. They took our best ability years ago, MPK prowess. Gave us abilities for useless jug pets (Snarl would be really good if it worked for charmed pet...) and just now we are getting equipment that enhances the pet, that really should have existed at Day1.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-10-15 19:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

i know quite a few bsts have had this, i've always compared it to brd. how is it fair that brd can change instruments and not lose tp, yet people cant even charm a mob without losing something.

idea: if you're close enough to the mob, could you be engaged while your swapping pets? it shouldnt unclaim if your engaged with hate?
 Siren.Delirium
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-10-15 19:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a BST but i really dont see the issure here. Keep your claim on the mob by not disengaging and use <stnpc> to charm a new mob. GGHFGL
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2009-10-15 19:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're not a bst, why are you commenting on a bst Issue??

Play BST and your input will have some validity, because by your post, you have no idea what the problem is and the mechanics behind it.

Most BST, especially while fighting NM's do not engaged and therefore do not disengage, the problem is, you cannot claim 2 mobs at once solo. So the act of charming claims the mob, the target you were fighting declaims.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-10-15 20:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

My point is still valid. Not engaging a mob you seems rediculous especially at the point where if you lose claim someone else is just going to steal the mob. I HAVE played BST enough to know that once your pet is dead you can charm another. Even if your engaged on one charming a different mob should cause no problem what so ever.
 Remora.Bikpik
Server: Remora
user: Bikpik
By Remora.Bikpik 2009-10-15 20:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Delirium said:
My point is still valid. Not engaging a mob you seems rediculous especially at the point where if you lose claim someone else is just going to steal the mob. I HAVE played BST enough to know that once your pet is dead you can charm another. Even if your engaged on one charming a different mob should cause no problem what so ever.

Engaging doesn't do anything special, you can't have 2 mobs claimed at once (well you can but not for very long), so when you charm another pet, it claims that one, and you lose claim on the NM, engaged or not. The only way you can keep claim on the original NM is to perform an action on the NM after you charm your next pet (or get your next pet on it very quickly), which will build up enmity on you and make it harder for your pet to take hate and keep you from eating dirt.

And if by engaged you mean meleeing, then this isn't a discussion, because none of the difficult nms you should be meleeing anyways.
 Siren.Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-10-15 21:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bikpik said:
Delirium said:

this makes much more sense to me.
Engaging doesn't do anything special, you can't have 2 mobs claimed at once (well you can but not for very long), so when you charm another pet, it claims that one, and you lose claim on the NM, engaged or not. The only way you can keep claim on the original NM is to perform an action on the NM after you charm your next pet (or get your next pet on it very quickly), which will build up enmity on you and make it harder for your pet to take hate and keep you from eating dirt.

And if by engaged you mean meleeing, then this isn't a discussion, because none of the difficult nms you should be meleeing anyways.

this makes much more sense to me now.
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-10-16 15:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

As a 75BST, I feel your pain. It's already been said but if you're going to try and kill a mob or NM that others are likely going to try and take from you during charms - bring a second person so claim can be maintained.

I have found it quite nice duo'ing with other BST's but you still risk both needing to get a new pet at the same time and potentially losing claim >.>

/insert pipe dream
If SE should do anything, it should be to lengthen the amount of time it takes to lose claim on a mob where you have maintained claim for say two minutes or greater... they could add a limitation where that increase only goes into effect when the loss of claim is only being introduced by using "charm". I'm sure other jobs would cry about it but the current setup is biased against BST and how we operate.
/end pipe dream

Ultimately though, don't feel alone - all BST can relate to what your going through.
[+]
 Sylph.Taruzard
Server: Sylph
user: Taruzard
By Sylph.Taruzard 2009-10-16 22:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing they could do is if you've basically got the mob down 1% and some douche comes along and kills it during pet-swap is the person who did the most damage to the mob/nm gets drops.
Though I dunno how that would happen >.> lol
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-16 23:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

ive been lucky when on bst and had others offer to help kill a nm when had peeps following me lookign to steal claim