Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Recently returned, looking to improve
Recently returned, looking to improve
By Juggalo 2013-05-28 14:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

As it says, I recently returned to the game and my hope is to gear up my DRG to be the answer to "What is your best geared job?" since it's my favorite to play on.

Per my old DRG spellcast I found, I currently have these:

Jugg-TP:
ItemSet 301988

Jugg-WS:
ItemSet 302413

The blanks on the WS are because my SC is either missing them or is just plain wrong with some old stuff anyway.

I poked around the threads on here trying to find info on TP and WS sets, with wild variations.

Off the top, I know I can/should get a Tyrant's Ring and Brego Gloves for TP. That seemed to be recurring in what I came across. I also figure a couple of Pyrosoul Rings, and I saw a body and headpiece on a DRG that was new to me, but I can't find the screenshots to recall their piece names now.

But I basically currently have 10m gil on me and would like to pour it into making my DRG better. I haven't done NNI, so the Phorcys gear is not within my reach at this point. I'm trying to get into the SoA content and then be able to get that gear. But, in the meantime, would anyone have any set recommendations for TP and WS for DRG? Stuff I can get off the AH, followed by stuff I could obtain with maybe a couple of people will be most welcome. Just trying to get better :)

Thanks in advance.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2013-05-28 17:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

The stuff you're referring to is probably the Karieyh Set. I've sorta recently returned myself. I've got 3/5 of the set, all of it is very usable as far as I've been able to tell.

Lancer Vambrace's +2 should be outperforming Alkyoneus's Bracelets too.

Sets I'm tentatively aiming for:
ItemSet 301547
Haste+4 Augment on the Bestia Breeches
ItemSet 301549

I'm aiming to get the TP Bonus Sixgill to tide me over until I get my Delve Clears and Ophidian Trident.
 Asura.Chanceikin
Server: Asura
By Asura.Chanceikin 2013-05-29 09:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Juggalo - it's important for you to note a couple of things, not sure how long you were gone for - but if it's 2ish years or more, it should be noted that DRG has Stardiver now (Merit WS). Raenil doesn't mention that, so I wanted to add it, as his WS set is clearly designed for Stardiver and with the exception of the Karieyh gear isn't a good set for Drakesbane (IE: Gorget/Belt).

On the upside, there is some decent gear which is purchasable and some other things like Karieyh which are fairly easy to obtain with a few hours of work.

Keeping in mind that you're just returning and will have some time before access to things like Delve, the sets provided by Raenil are decent for returning players, but based on the lance you're using, you should strive to build an x-hit build.. in your case, a 5-hit is attainable.

I would also take a Tyrant's Ring over Keen, the difference in price is relative.

Coupling those changes with NNI (Phorcys) Head and Legs it's fairly easy to obtain a 5-hit build /sam. These are harder pieces to get to a returning player, but deserve mention. If you have access to delve there are some other pieces that deserve notation. It will also change your build as you'll likely want to get an Ophidian Trident which is impossible to 5-hit, but can be 6-hitted without getting out of hand.

A big change I would make though is getting rid of Bullwhip Belt for a Goading Belt, both are abyssea drops.. but the Goading has STP and a lack of -elemental stats like Bullwhip (or as I call it, suicide belt - cause a high-level mage mob can one-shot you with high-tier magic).
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2013-05-29 09:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chanceikin said: »
(or as I call it, suicide belt - cause a high-level mage mob can one-shot you with high-tier magic).

Elemental+ does nothing for magic damage except increases the chance you'll resist it, and if something's high enough to one-shot you with a single nuke, then you aren't resisting it often enough for the -stats to make a difference.

The only "bad" stat on there is -75(?) HP, which again - should not (or at least, rarely) be the difference between you living and dying. That said, I've not done much in the lines of SOA content yet, so I could be missing something from there.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2013-05-29 10:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, yeah. Forgot to mention Stardiver. That set performs just fine for Drakesbane though. Belt/neck aren't optimum but they DO benefit Drakesbane.

TP Bonus Sixgill wont really benefit it much though.
 Asura.Chanceikin
Server: Asura
By Asura.Chanceikin 2013-05-29 10:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a magic evasion issue - I always forget that, regardless, the belt is by far inferior to Goading Belt. Coupled with the fact that there are haste belts on the AH that are affordable options, Bullwhip should be something that gets tossed at your earliest convenience.
By Juggalo 2013-05-29 13:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, guys. What would be a 5-hit build set that I should work towards? Any specific pieces you can mention that I can 1) buy for now and/or 2) work towards over time with others? As for the weapon, I saw Chanar Xyston as a 99 Polearm - dunno how that stacks up vs what I've got or what else you may be suggesting for now. I know I have the Twilight Helm, as mentioned, but I believe I saw another headpiece whose name I forget now (looks like some bunny ears for some reason). I think I also saw a body piece with more STR than a Twilight Mail (which, to be honest, I still want!), but I also forgot its name. Just considerations for upgrades, and curious your thoughts on them :)

Also, I actually do have a Goading Belt. Guess it either wasn't in my spellcast or I didn't add it to the above when I made it for this thread.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2013-05-29 15:45:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd be sitting at 23% haste making the switch to Goading. Goading is inferior as long as I'm missing the necessary Phorcys pieces for a 5-hit.

Phos and Dynamic Belt +1 are not what I'd call affordable, but the OP does seem to have the gil available, so they're definitely options.

And Keen is probably slightly better than Tyrants until 5-hitting is possible.

+1 ATT (+4 STP negligible) vs +3 ACC (+4 AGI negligible)
By Juggalo 2013-05-31 10:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Going back to what I originally posted as my current gear... I started doing Reives finally. Granted, I only have 9K Bayld right now and have a ways to go but, in what order would you recommend buying some of the new pieces from this set:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Karieyh_Set

Or are any altogether something to avoid in contrast to the Empryean Armor +2 I've got (or other better pieces you can suggest for one of those slots)?

Also, should I try to get a Coalition Lance or stick with the Chanar Xyston for now?
By Juggalo 2013-06-08 09:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Did some messing around and found this as a 5-hit TP set with Chanar Xyston.

ItemSet 303731

It's a 5-hit, though haste is not capped. The Ophidian Lance (Delve weapon) drops it to a 7-hit, though. But it might be something to work with en route to it, at least.
I don't think any of the other Karieyh pieces are better than any other options for that slot. I haven't factored in the Mikinaak gear pieces from plasm, either (although, on first look, it appears that the Mikinaak Greaves will potentially replace the Kareiyh piece above). Also, I clearly need a better right earring, but the Bladeborn/Steelflash combo will fix the earring slots in time anyway.

Also as far as DRG WS goes, since WAR and DRG wear a lot of the same gear (and I also happen to have a Ukon 85 so the Kareiyh and Mikinaak gear will have double benefits to me), I had checked out the WAR forum, which has an amazing guide. I wish one like that existed for DRG! But if you look at the gear options, you can see myriad sets that might also benefit a DRG WS set. I had started a WS set based on gear I either already have or could easily obtain, but had several open slots where I wasn't sure what to put in them:

ItemSet 303754

Anyway, still open to suggestions, as always. :)
By Ophannus 2013-06-08 13:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you not have Phorcys? You should make that a priority man, as those TP sets and TP sets are awfully sad without Phorcys.

Assuming you don't have Phorcys, for WS you can have:

Head: Karieyh
Body: AF3
Neck: Elemental Gorget
Waist: Elemental Gorget
Ear1:Brutal
Ear2:Moonshade TP Bonus(or Ghillie+1 or Kokou's Earring)
Ring1: Rajas(at least one ring should be rajas)
Ammo:Hagneia Stone(You want at least 20 TP back on 3 hit Stardivers for reliable 5 hit build)
Feet: Karieyh
By Juggalo 2013-06-08 14:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »
Do you not have Phorcys? You should make that a priority man, as those TP sets and TP sets are awfully sad without Phorcys.

Assuming you don't have Phorcys, for WS you can have:

Body: AF3
Neck: Elemental Gorget
Waist: Elemental Gorget
Ear1:Brutal
Ear2:Moonshade TP Bonus(or Ghillie+1 or Kokou's Earring)
Ring1: Rajas(at least one ring should be rajas)
Ammo:Hagneia Stone(You want at least 20 TP back on 3 hit Stardivers for reliable 5 hit build)
Feet: Karieyh

Nope, no Phorcys, nor access (ie people to go do it with). :/

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-08 16:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what my alt uses besides the legs which im working on

Gil is stupid easy to make now and with the right amount you can buy anything

ItemSet 303802

ItemSet 303804

I cant remember which belt and neck i use its the elemental ones :/ lol

Also i havent put much time into the ws set as i still need to do ares and do have a main account
By Juggalo 2013-06-08 20:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Carraway Author said: »
It's not just lack of Phorcys that's dragging your sets down (TP, mainly) -- a natural 5-hit isn't going to outweigh the loss of 10% gear haste.

Assuming you want to get your DRG ready to participate in baseline Adoulin content, all of these changes boost your DPS against delve fodder, assuming a mediocre buff situation (marches, chaos+hunter's, haste, pizza+1 or YCB).

TP:
Waist: Bullwhip or Dynamic +1
Legs: Calma or Calmecac or Jingang or Ace's
Feet: AF3+2

Those four changes are going to be a ~10% DPS increase.

WS:
Head: Mekira-oto NQ or +1 even on the wrong days
Body: Karieyh beats Twilight and AF3+2 handily unless you really need the store TP
Hands: AF3+2

But you really should try to knock out some NNI 80 runs. It's easier than ever as long as you stick to a solid plan, and you might have to grind through a few PUGs, but there's absolutely zero reason to not do it. The Rheic +3s are solid fill-ins until you get Phorcys in the appropriate slots (for example, Rheic Dirs +3 would allow you to go back to Goading in the above setup).

Thanks so much. This was exactly the kind of input I was looking for!

I looked into each of the pieces you named. I actually already have a Bullwhip, so np. Calmecac Trousers seems better than Calma Hose, other than the Accuracy loss, so I can pick up a pair of those. AF3+2 I am actively working on, so that will take care of that.

However, I am confused about the Karieyh Morion headpiece for TP. Yes, it has Haste +6% but, if that's the reason you're suggesting it for TP, well, I do have a Zelus Tiara on me as well. But then I guess I don't get that Accuracy bonus (which I guess would offset the Calmecac Trousers)... so maybe that's the reason for that suggestion? Just hoping to better understand :)

Lastly, for the WS suggestions - thanks, I see what you mean by those and can obtain them. Already have the +2 Hands and can buy the rest.

And believe me, I'm still trying to get some peeps to help out with NNI! :)