users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » Optimal Sets - Drakes/Jump
Optimal Sets - Drakes/Jump
 Asura.Chanceikin
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Chanceikin 2013-04-25 09:19:21
Link | Quote | Reply

There are threads up already for a few sets, but without a guide being posted for DRG, and after being gone for about a year - I was curious what people were using as "optimal" for the two sets listed in the thread: Drakesbane set, and Spirit/Soul Jump set.

I'm hoping to get a Herja's Fork to drop on Tues to hold me over until Ryunohige (closing in on halfway mark in probably a month or two). So TP is based on 492 delay not OAT.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks.

#Edit - I found the TP set thread and changed it to just drakes and jumps.
By Ophannus 2013-04-25 15:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

My gearing paradigm for gearing for Spirit/Soul Jump is the following:

Multi-hit>Store TP>Damage

Multihit (DA/TA/QA) means you get crazy TP during a proc which can give an insta-WS. Damage comes last because while STR/ATT/Crit DMG is nice, the STP and Multistrike actually contribute to higher WS frequency. There are a few exceptions such as Huginn/Lancers legs because they are a straight +10% damage each and boast STR and ATT. Combination peices like Kudzu are nicer than Lancer body imo too. These sets are for NON MYTHIC users. Ryunohige users would opt for different stats(because multi hit stats arent that important with AM3 up)

Spirit Jump
ItemSet 298447

Soul Jump
ItemSet 298448

If you dont have Huginn Feet, the next best thing are Karieyh Sollerets as they boast high att, high acc and have 5STP on them too.
By Ophannus 2013-04-25 15:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't use Drakes that often anymore but I think something like this would work.

ItemSet 298449

Not 100% sure on waist(Prosilo might be better cuz of ATT but then might as well take off Brutal too) and not sure of hands(Phorcys might be better but heca has 4% crit damage)
 Cerberus.Quintow
Server: Cerberus
user: Quintow
By Cerberus.Quintow 2013-04-25 15:52:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for hijack thread, maybe lazy question on my part but as drg/sam with a 492 delay pole what is stp need for tp/jumps/ws if spamming drakes or stardiver?
 Carbuncle.Chibiclone
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Chibiclone 2013-04-25 16:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Ophannus said: »

Multihit (DA/TA/QA) means you get crazy TP during a proc which can give an insta-WS. Damage comes last because while STR/ATT/Crit DMG is nice, the STP and Multistrike actually contribute to higher WS frequency. There are a few exceptions such as Huginn/Lancers legs because they are a straight +10% damage each and boast STR and ATT. Combination peices like Kudzu are nicer than Lancer body imo too. These sets are for NON MYTHIC users. Ryunohige users would opt for different stats(because multi hit stats arent that important with AM3 up)

Spirit Jump
ItemSet 298447

Soul Jump
ItemSet 298448

If you dont have Huginn Feet, the next best thing are Karieyh Sollerets as they boast high att, high acc and have 5STP on them too.

That's pretty much what I do, stack DA/TA on jumps, the TP gain is nuts... can't wait till we get the new 1-hour that will let us spam jumps, which in turn will let us spam WSs.
On spirit jump I use Calmecac's instead of AF3+2 legs for the extra DA/TA, and on soul I still use jingjangs, maybe there's something better now I haven't looked
 Asura.Chanceikin
By Asura.Chanceikin 2013-04-25 18:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Quintow - from what I've read magic STP number is 52, you get 16 STP for /sam - so you need 36 STP from gear /sam. There are multiple options to do that, one is in my item sets under DRG TP.

@ Ophannus - thanks for the help, man, gave me a nice benchmark for what I want to do with jumps.. STP and Multi-hit.

I have another question for you, what do you think of Enif Corazza over that body? QA+2%.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2013-04-25 19:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Enif Corazza is 2% QA.
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 11:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's the rub.

3% DA and 5STP equals more WS over time. Yeah sure when that QA on Enif procs it'll do a lot of damage but whether I DA or QA on a Jump it still equals >100% TP so I'm not getting any MORE ws out of it. The DA body at least has STR and STP for when the DA doesnt proc. I'll have to compare the two though cuz Enif does have a significant amount of acc.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2013-04-26 12:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, It it possible to DA Spirit jump and not have 100% TP. But you have to have been starting from 0%, or have missed The first hit of the prior WS. Also, in the case of RYU, Building the initial 300% for AM3 would benefit from 100%~ TP from a jump.

In a more regular case, having 100%+ TP post jump may not add an extra WS(barring sekkanoki) but keep in mind that it Does add additional DMG. Both of DRG's major WS have TP mods that give more DMG for more TP. DMG varies with Stardiver, and crit varies on drakes.

NOTE: despite my nitpicking here, I'm not necessarily saying jump in enif corazza. Personally, I jump in lancer body. Need that STP. Just noting that TP gain over 100% can still contribute to overall DPS.
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 12:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

For those with Mythic or OAT yeah Lancer body and STP ftw but for the other 98% of DRGs you'll want DA/TA/QA gear in most slots

The fTP between 100% and 150% is very, very, very small. Stardiver has a linear fTP progression so:

100%: 0.75 fTP
200%: 0.84375 fTP

150%: 0.79688 fTP (0.84375+0.75)/2

0.75 fTP - 0.79688 fTP= 0.046875

0.046875 * 4= 0.1875

Stardiver, obi+belt, 100% TP: 3.8 fTP for the entire WS.
Stardiver, obi+belt, 150% TP: 3.9 for the entire WS.

Basicaslly the damage bonus from the expected average TP overflow is adding less than ~ 0.1 fTP to your ws, that's not a lot of damage man. Like 30-40 per WS at best.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-26 12:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The fTP between 100% and 150% is very, very, very small. Stardiver has a linear fTP progression so:

100%: 0.75 fTP
200%: 0.84375 fTP

150%: 0.79688 fTP (0.84375+0.75)/2

0.75 fTP - 0.79688 fTP= 0.046875

0.046875 * 4= 0.1875

Stardiver, obi+belt, 100% TP: 3.8 fTP for the entire WS.
Stardiver, obi+belt, 150% TP: 3.9 for the entire WS.

Basicaslly the damage bonus from the expected average TP overflow is adding less than ~ 0.1 fTP to your ws, that's not a lot of damage man. Like 30-40 per WS at best.

Since this happens to be the case, would using a STR neck and belt be more optimal for Stardiver than an Elemental Gorget/Belt?
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-04-26 12:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's definitely more than 30-40 damage on a WS.

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Since this happens to be the case, would using a STR neck and belt be more optimal for Stardiver than an Elemental Gorget/Belt?
no
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-26 12:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I currently use a Soil Gorget and Belt as part of my stardiver set already, So i guess there's no point in needing to change those out.
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 12:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

No since that 0.1 fTP translates to a 0.4 FTP for the belt and 0.4 fTP for the neck, combined thats 0.8fTP almost a full 1.0 fTP which is more of a boost than str in neck or belt would give you.
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 12:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad I miscalculated the fTP and forgot it copies on each hit for stardiver, checked spreadsheet and its more like 60 damage for each hit of the ws, for each 0.1 http://ftp. So with just belt it's +about 60 dmg per hit, with belt+gorget its + about 120 dmg per hit.

Light Belt+Light Gorget= 3065 Stardiver
Light Belt+Peacock Charm= 2744 Stardiver
Goading Belt+Peacock Charm= 2462 Stardiver
Prosilo Belt+Justicier Collar=2483

So adding like 13 STR over the ele belt/soil only increased WS by like 20-30 damage. Adding Belt/Obi increased WS by 600 DMG. 0.8fTP increase on a WS is a hell of a thing. This isn't even counting Moonshade. Moonshade's 25% TP Bonus adds ~ another 0.1 fTP to that making the whole stardiver ~ 3.89 fTP or so.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2013-04-26 13:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

3-4k seems to be my average stardiver on most things, but on stuff weak to piercing, like Aello, i've managed a few spikes that hit around 6k.

To go from 2462 to 3065 is quite a significant difference in ws damage just for 2 pieces of gear.
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 13:18:20
Link | Quote | Reply

3-4k is not an average, it's a range. 4k is unusual without outside buffs or lucky DA procs. This is my WS set on fodder assuming no outside buffs/debuffs:

Left side value is with belt/gorget, right value is without belt/gorget. You can see ele belt/obi adds hundreds of DMG to ws. I selected fodder mob on first tab(level 84; 360 def) and 3.1k is my expected WS value.
I then took the same fodder mob and gave it -35% def down and gave myself 1400 attack and my WS capped at 3314. So the only way you're getting 3-4k WS is 1) You are frequently DA/TA/QAing your ws. 2) You are /WAR and have massive ATT boosts and DA10%. 3) you have Ryunohige and are getting DA/TA procs on your WS. 4) You're eyeballing your dmg.

I maximized my ATT and minimized the target's DEF, I chose a level 85 fodder mob, 99 Gungnir, (check the WS set in pics; Karieyh wasnt added but I modified the stats on AF3 legs and Heca feet to have Karieyh's stat values) and the highest Stardiver I came up with was 3314.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-04-26 13:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's what I'm using at the moment...

Drakesbane
ItemSet 270449
(+4% crit dmg on Hecatomb Mittens)

Jump
ItemSet 270473

I know my Drakesbane set is all jacked up, and I was considering Porthos Byrnie maybe for Jump builds- any thoughts?
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 13:28:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The new Kariyeh body and head beat out mekira/phorcys for Drakesbane. Should also use a brutal earring and a moonshade(moonshade +25% TP bonus should give crit+)
 Sylph.Wardeniii
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2013-04-26 13:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Mythic or not, you should put enough sTP into your jump build such that the TP awarded from spirit/soul jump will fall in line with your 5-hit build. It is no fun landing at 95-99 TP from a jump, regardless of if it multi-hits or not.

In that regard sTP should be the first priority. No matter how much multi-hit you can find, the majority of your jumps are still going to just be single hits (barring mythic), and you should make them count.

@ Chanceikin: here is an old, online store TP calculator if you happen to need one to help calculate your current gear options since you may be missing a thing or two after being gone. Heck Designs TP Calc

Don't collect too many nice things though -- free inventory is key to optimal dps.
 Ragnarok.Azryel
user: Azryel
By Ragnarok.Azryel 2013-04-26 13:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The new Kariyeh body and head beat out mekira/phorcys for Drakesbane. Should also use a brutal earring and a moonshade(moonshade +25% TP bonus should give crit+)

My Moonshade is otherwise occupied with Mage augments, at the moment... I'm using double Vulcan because I don't really have much in the way of double attack in this build, and Prosilio cancels Brutal...

If I went with Wanion I'd probably put the Brutal earring back in there.

Edit: Maybe Caudata belt instead?
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 13:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If you use DRG AF3+2 feet in Spirit Jump, you only need 17STP in your set to be in line with you 5 hit.

17STP in your Spirit Jump with 492 delay gives you 35 TP, +5 from Af3 feet so 40% TP. Add in some more STP incase you miss a hit of Stardiver or w/e but mionimum should be 17%. As for Soul Jump..i suppose if you're stressing stp, should probably then get 36+ to get a 60% return.
 Sylph.Wardeniii
Server: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2013-04-26 13:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Praise be to AF3+2 body + Ogier hands. Two of my favorite items in the game.
By Ophannus 2013-04-26 14:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah just overhauled my Souljump set .

Assuming I miss 1 hit of Stardiver, my TP return would be 19%.
My normal TP set gives me 21% TP per hit precisely.
3 hit stardiver+1 normal hit= 40%

AF3 body+Ogier hands+rajas+tyrants+brutal+Karieyh feet+hagneia gives 20.8% TP, which should give me 102ish TP after that Soul Jump. So it gives me some leeway for missing even 2 hits of stardiver.

By using AF3 body with ogier hands over Kudzu+AF3 hands however, I gain massive STR/DEX/ACC/ATT but lose 7% DA on my Soul Jump set which breaks my heart :(
 Asura.Chanceikin
By Asura.Chanceikin 2013-04-27 23:35:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all of the advice here. I just got a sceamol band 1/1 haha. Seriously closing the gap on the gear I need and got an Odin v2 on Tuesday and hopefully herjas falls to hold me over. I've been gone a while, so my goal is to do major gear overhaul and then get back into Ryu.

@ Warden - basically, I want a jumpset that helps me close a 3-hit darkness.. and the sets provided have been a good baseline even in VW where you don't get what you expect.

So you start with 300 TP - hit Sekkanoki, do drakesbane.. pop meditate.. do sonic thrust and then do your jumps and if you do it right, you should be able to chain off your chain and fulfill darkness. I'm in a very competitive linkshell and am far behind.. so I'm trying to find out the best things to be competitive until I can get back into finishing mythic without completely gimped gear.

Most of all, it's really nice to have other career DRGs putting their heads together to push the bounds. Us DRGs need to stick together.. haha.