Windower 4 Crash... (Cause Known)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Windower 4 Crash... (Cause Known)
Windower 4 Crash... (Cause Known)
 Sylph.Skinner
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Skinner 2013-04-19 07:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey. Wondering if anyone can help... Everything was smooth, except in Adoulin - my game kept crashing over and over. I could log in and 5 seconds later, crash.

I removed all plugins from Windower 4 with no luck. To quickly check i thought i'd load the game through my previous windower and see if i still crashed in Adoulin.

Instead of crashing in Adoulin the game then crashed immediately after i click play and the screen enters windowed mode. Final Fantasy XI is labelled in the top bar and the window is purely white - it crashes instantly. I say i know what caused it as running this prior version of windows has clearly changed settings somewhere and it's causing an issue. Now when i run Windower 4, this issue occurs.

Any ideas of what this could be? Something changed in the registry?

So frustrating, not even sure why i bothered with attempting the older version. It's obviously a graphics driver issue of some sort.
 Bahamut.Scizor
Server: Bahamut
user: Scizor
By Bahamut.Scizor 2013-04-19 07:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Do a file check on both POL files and FF files
 Sylph.Skinner
By Sylph.Skinner 2013-04-19 07:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jeremy Clarkson. What a legend. Ok trying now..
 Sylph.Skinner
By Sylph.Skinner 2013-04-19 07:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Zilch problemo found!
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-04-19 07:32:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Skinner
By Sylph.Skinner 2013-04-19 07:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Last time i did that through steam my POL went back to 2007.

/bitestounge/ - here goes!
 Sylph.Skinner
By Sylph.Skinner 2013-04-19 07:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If i run the game through steam.. it gets to the same point but instead of crashing says:

"Terminated as error occured in FINAL FANTASY XI. Failed to initialize Direct3D. Please check this computer has the required specifications to run FFXI. (-1)"

Is there anything that an older version of windower would have done when it boots up. Like changed a setting or anything?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2013-04-19 07:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

No. Did you recently change computers? You might need to install an older version of DirectX? IIRC DirectX versions can exist side-by-side, so it isn't like you really sacrifice anything.
 Sylph.Skinner
By Sylph.Skinner 2013-04-19 08:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think you're right on this. It's DirectX. I did try and do what you suggested prior to posting on here. I was lazy and prompted steam to load via a shortcut to a steam game on my desktop. It instantly attempted to download and install a newer version of DirectX right away. I hit cancel pretty promptly and closed it all off so it wasn't continuing in the background.

I checked system restore and it didn't say a new version of DirectX had been installed that i should revert back to. However it did have a restore point from yesterday. So i've used that... Not thinking i downloaded a huge *** POL update yesterday evening. So yap. Thats busy flapping away at a snails pace.

Cheers for the advice! If it happen again i'll let you know but i doubt it will now. As for the crashing in Adoulin... Idk how i'll fix that.
 Phoenix.Dinah
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dinah 2013-04-22 14:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm having trouble with Windower 4 crashing 50% of the time when logging in. Once I get to the Agree/Decline screen it seems to freeze up half the time. If I just try again once or twice it will load up properly.

Never had an issue with 3.4 doing this. Any ideas of something I can maybe tweak to keep it from being a nuisance?
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2013-04-22 14:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Dinah said: »
I'm having trouble with Windower 4 crashing 50% of the time when logging in. Once I get to the Agree/Decline screen it seems to freeze up half the time. If I just try again once or twice it will load up properly.

Never had an issue with 3.4 doing this. Any ideas of something I can maybe tweak to keep it from being a nuisance?

I was having the same problem, if you have distance on auto load take it off. That's what was freezing me at the loading screen. Once you log in you can load it and will work fine.
 Lakshmi.Harkonnen
user: tobenutte
By Lakshmi.Harkonnen 2013-04-22 14:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I have had the same thing happen to me. It might be a plugin or add-on. I have not had the chance to unload all the plug-ins or add-ons and try them 1 by 1 when launching.
By Toebag 2013-04-27 16:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Did you fix this problem?

I'm now suffering from it.

EDIT: tried unloading all plug-ins but still had problems logging in.
Also, before this happened I logged in and my up and down arrow key's wouldn't scroll through menus, it was fine when moving the camera angle, however.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-04-27 16:58:50
Link | Quote | Reply

ote | Reply  | Report | Score: 0 +

I've seen this happen too. Seems pretty random.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-27 17:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

had the same issues. was infobar plugin.
asssoon as i disable it form loading at startups every login has been perfect
By Toebag 2013-04-27 17:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Like Skinner, I believe mine is also a directx problem. No problems in the files PoL or FFXI.
Tried loading without any plugins.

Dxdiag shows everything should be working as planned.
Only thing that looks off is that it's showing the version as being DirectX 11.
Tried to download Dx9 but the installer says i have a more recent version and prompts me to finish.

If i could figure out how to bypass that, it might fix the problem.
Anyone got any suggestions on how to do that, or what else might work?

EDIT: managed to log on through PoL without windower after changing the resolution to max values. However, still no luck with getting on with windower.
By Toebag 2013-04-28 04:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, so upon further investigation I've been consistently able to log in through PoL, but only after tweaking the resolution in ffxi config.

If i try to log in with windower it crashes after clicking play, and seems to reset the settings in ffxi config.
If I don't change the ffxi config settings then I also can't log in via PoL, following this windower crash.

Not sure if I need to somehow change the resolution of windower. Actually I tried this through the edit function but no go. Wondering if there is a secret way to change resolution? Or at least get it so windower doesn't reset ffxi config settings upon booting?

I figure, since I can log on with PoL, albeit after some tweaks, then it's not the game that's causing the problem but something to do with Windower - maybe a failed update or something.

If I don't get any replies then I'm just going to reinstall windower and hope that works.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2013-04-28 04:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok then.

Post your settings that you use from FFXI Config, the settings for the profile you're using in Windower, and the settings your registry is turning too when you've used Windower. I'll see if I can help.
 Asura.Izilder
Server: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2013-04-28 05:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

do you by chance have an OLD Ashita windower on your pc - if you do this will cause the very issue you're getting with dx/steam - even while trying to log on via windower or direct

if you crash log it or even event view it - does a data.dll file come up? - find the EEVO folder - uninstall it > and bin it.
By Toebag 2013-04-28 05:26:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Ihm.

FFXI Config settings:
Overlay Graphics Resolution: 800x600
Background Resolution: 1024x1024

when logging in via Windower the Overlay Graphics usually resets to 640x480, but I noticed it didn't last time. The background resolution always resets to 512x512.

Windower Config in the settings XML:
<width>1024</width>
<height>696</height>

Not sure how to check the registry settings.

Oh, and nope, never had a version of windower or otherwise before Windower4.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2013-04-28 05:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Try setting your windower resolution to the same as your overlay graphics resolution. The only reason it is "resetting" is because you're telling it to change the screen resolution to a different value than you're using in the config util. 800x600 isn't 1024x696~ FFXI Config just blanks out/resets values that aren't in its preset list.

I doubt thats the reason though, what other settings are you changing? Screen resolution shouldn't cause a crash unless your windower one is bigger than your screen maybe.
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-04-28 05:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

regedit

find the file and export them
By Toebag 2013-04-28 05:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, i did try having all settings the same after that post. It didn't work.

It all started when my up and down arrow keys wouldn't scroll menus, but would operate all other functions both in and out of FFXI. So I logged out to turn off all my plugins and then it wouldn't let me on again.

This is the only info i can find in the registry:

Key Name: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Windower
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 01/04/2013 - 13:17
Value 0
Name: AnalyticsOptOut
Type: REG_SZ
Data: 0
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
By Siren.Ihm 2013-04-28 05:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI Registry not Windower~
 Asura.Izilder
By Asura.Izilder 2013-04-28 06:09:35
Link | Quote | Reply

have you tried to crash log it? it can give invaluable info at times
By Toebag 2013-04-28 06:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

orz! Sorry!

I see a few ffxi.ffxientry, ffxi.fxfilemanager, ffximain.gamemain, ffxiversions.ffxiversion. Then also duplicates of the above ending in '1', for example: FFXi.FxFileManager.1

I don't have time to export them all now, gotta go to work, I'll be back in about 5 hours!
Which of them should I export when I return, if not all of them?

EDIT: I tried looking through the windower folders last night but couldn't see any crash log.
Sorry to be a pain, I'm not so tech savvy.
By Toebag 2013-04-28 11:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Uninstalled and reinstalled windower. Did not fix. Thought it might since it would have no plugins installed and none of my settings.

This is a real poop!

If someone can tell me how to create a crashlog i can post it to that problems site.

I don't fancy trying a load of other trial and error methods right now, especially not after the day I've had at work ;/
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-04-28 11:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Here you go.

https://github.com/Windower/Issues/wiki/Creating-crash-dumps-with-Windbg
By Toebag 2013-04-28 12:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks. Should've submitted an issue now..

Time to play FFXI with my fingers crossed!