What Is Wrong With Me...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » What is wrong with me...
What is wrong with me...
 Fenrir.Kayalan
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Kayalan
By Fenrir.Kayalan 2013-04-04 13:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I have never been able to get windower to work on my laptop. I've read through every support thread on the internet and tried all the usual tricks (re-install, run as admin, etc.) The closest I've ever come to actually getting it to work was last summer, when the launcher actually opened POL but it wasn't actually hooked, just POL as normal. I just installed Windower4 and when I run it as admin, it's the same deal, it won't launch POL. Although, when I launch POL from the Windower3 GUI launcher, I at least see POL is running on my system but...no where to be seen except for:

Any help would be grateful, I'd love to be able to play my alt on something other than Xbox360.

Edit: Windows 7, Nvidia 460m, i7, your basic store-bought alienware.
 Bahamut.Ayasha
Server: Bahamut
user: Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2013-04-04 17:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you've done everything else, I have heard of issues arising from certain antivirus programs causing Windower to not run correctly. If memory serves me it was AVG. I would suggest either temporarily disabling your antivirus program to see if that helps, or add exceptions to the way it scans running processes.

Barring this, try shutting down literally EVERY non-essential background process you have open and then try again.

Hope this helps.
 Bismarck.Pebbs
Server: Bismarck
user: Saeyent
By Bismarck.Pebbs 2013-04-04 18:04:52
Link | Quote | Reply

It looks as though you are running a custom Alienware skin (based on how the Task manager is showing in the screenshot).

You could try turning off the Alienware skin and re-launching Windower.

This is going off of memory, so it may not fix your problem. Googleing only got me as close as this thread: http://forums.windower.net/topic/12531-guide-adjusting-ffxi-windower/
 Fenrir.Weakness
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2013-04-04 18:11:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Curious on either what is chewing up your memory or if you just don't have that much honestly.

I have POL using just shy of 400,000k for one instance, which looks like it would put you at 100% memory usage o.O.
 Fenrir.Kayalan
user: Kayalan
By Fenrir.Kayalan 2013-04-04 20:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try some things and let you know how it goes. BTW, I was using Pinnacle studio to do some editing on our work ski video...it tends to crush things.

EDIT:
Wow... I can't believe something so simple was causing the issue. It took forever to figure out how to remove the alienware skin, but SUCCESS! Thanks!