Forum » Windower » Support » Controller support on Win 8
Controller support on Win 8
 Bismarck.Dovlei
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Dovlei
By Bismarck.Dovlei 2013-01-28 00:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello FFXIAH peeps. So I upgraded to Win 8 and found problem after problem with compatability. That aside; I got FFXI up and running through pol ver. only my problem is though my controller does not respond in game. The controller itself is a 2 years old and worked perfect on Win XP.

-Drivers are up to date.
-The controller is read by the PC.
-I've set gamepad config in polcfg, and it reads direction button input.
-In game neither directional, nor buttons respond but the pc still reads if controller is plugged in or not.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help in advance.
By Jetackuu 2013-01-28 00:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

what kind of controller?

edit: and did you make sure to use the right language config tool?
 Bismarck.Dovlei
By Bismarck.Dovlei 2013-01-28 00:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Logitech Dual action and only one config shows for language config tool. It is the Win 7 ver of POL.

By Jetackuu 2013-01-28 00:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, you have to do the FFXI config tool, not the POL cfg tool.

sorry, didn't notice that earlier.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dovlei
By Bismarck.Dovlei 2013-01-28 01:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Alas my savior! Thanks for the quick response! Controller working.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2013-01-28 09:36:07
Link | Quote | Reply

No problem.

Let me know how that controller works for you, I haven't been able to have much luck with logitech controllers in their ability to hold up.
 Ragnarok.Ravant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2013-01-28 09:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
No problem.

Let me know how that controller works for you, I haven't been able to have much luck with logitech controllers in their ability to hold up.

I've been using Logitech controllers for years when playing on PC and Ive only had to replace it once due my own mistake of winding it up very tight when not using it and the cord split at the top. But other than that they've worked great for me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Titox
Server: Ragnarok
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2013-01-28 09:50:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ravant said: »
Jetackuu said: »
No problem.

I've been using Logitech controllers for years when playing on PC and Ive only had to replace it once due my own mistake of winding it up very tight when not using it and the cord split at the top. But other than that they've worked great for me.
^ this

and I had my Logitech Dual Action for 3 or 4 years now...never had a problem, even I have used it on my PS3
By Jetackuu 2013-01-28 09:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I highly doubt the issue was winding it up too tight, I never wind mine and I've had that issue on 3 of them...

I've just been too lazy to open them up and resolder them.

I've been eyeballing the wireless rumble logitech controller, but the reviews aren't that great for it.

I've been a logitech fan for years but I've been really disappointed with their build quality on controllers.
 Cerberus.Vivik
Server: Cerberus
user: Detroit
By Cerberus.Vivik 2013-01-28 10:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I've always just used a wired or wireless Xbox controller. I've had to replace a few batteries here and there but otherwise they work great.
By Jetackuu 2013-01-28 10:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Vivik said: »
I've always just used a wired or wireless Xbox controller. I've had to replace a few batteries here and there but otherwise they work great.

Natively there's no (ok there is, but M$'s idea of directinput support for xinput devices is a sad joke) direct input support on those, XBCD exists for wired, but the only thing I've seen available for the wireless I haven't been able to get to work, no direct version available for 7x64, I haven't tried all of the others to see if I can get it working though, got tired and reverted to a PS2 controller via USB adapter.
 Cerberus.Vivik
By Cerberus.Vivik 2013-01-28 10:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I went out to Bestbuy and just bought a wireless reciever for windows. Granted the triggers don't work but ffxi is also the only game I use a controller on. I do know a few people that are able to use the triggers but I don't remember what software there were using. I simply love the xbox controllers because they are indestructible.
By Jetackuu 2013-01-28 10:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I went out to Bestbuy and just bought a wireless reciever for windows. Granted the triggers don't work but ffxi is also the only game I use a controller on. I do know a few people that are able to use the triggers but I don't remember what software there were using. I simply love the xbox controllers because they are indestructible.

I know what the receiver is, got one for $13.

l2/r2 right stick and rumble don't work, and while the rumble I can live with, the rest I can not.

XBCD is a custom driver to get the wired ones working, and as far as I can tell x360wc is the only driver available for the wireless to get direct input to work properly.

Then again the whole issue could be avoided (for XI anyway) if SE would update the game to require directx 9.0 standards, but I'm sure that would break some ***.
 Cerberus.Vivik
By Cerberus.Vivik 2013-01-28 10:43:46
Link | Quote | Reply

idk I have never had the problems with the right stick not working. Everything but the triggers work on mine so I just use the R1 and R2 for macros. No special drivers either, just plugged it in and played.
By Jetackuu 2013-01-28 11:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

idk I have never had the problems with the right stick not working. Everything but the triggers work on mine so I just use the R1 and R2 for macros. No special drivers either, just plugged it in and played.

I can explain better later when I can plug mine in.

Windows post XP I believe support it natively, but it doesn't mean it's working properly.

The Microsoft drivers don't enable full directinput mode, it's a crock of ***imo.

M$ said:
Using the Xbox 360 Controller with DirectInput

The Xbox 360 Controller is properly enumerated on DirectInput, and can be used with the DirectInputAPIs. However, some functionality provided by XInput will be missing from the DirectInput implementation:

The left and right trigger buttons will act as a single button, not independently
The vibration effects will not be available
Querying for headset devices will not be available