FC On More Then 3 Enemies Crashes POL...?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » FC on more then 3 enemies crashes POL...?
FC on more then 3 enemies crashes POL...?
 Phoenix.Gameesh
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 04:38:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't really sure if I should have placed this topic in the Warrior's section, but since it concerns a crash of the game I'll put it in General.

Anyway, I have a serious problem with the weaponskill Fell Cleave. Every time I use it on more then 3 enemies, POL crashes immediately. No slow count towards a d/c, just an instant black screen followed by the generic message from Windows: "program encountered an error and had to be closed".

Using Fell Cleave on one enemy never triggers the crash so I'm assuming it's a processing error? Maybe too much damage at once to too many targets? Still, this shouldn't happen since we all know FC parties do this constantly and on WAY more enemies then a mere 3.

It could also be area-related since it happened in Abyssea Uluegrand Range? Unlikely but I'm just posting all the facts here.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve the problem (part from not using the WS on more then 3 enemies)?

Thanks in advance.
By Aeyela 2013-01-15 04:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

First I'd recommend two things. Go and try Fell Cleaving in another zone and see if you crash there. If you do, restart your computer and try again in both zones. If it keeps crashing then you can move on to fixing.

It sounds like there's something wrong with the animation on your Fell Cleave. Do you run Plastic Surgeon? If so, switch your character's race to something you don't normally use and see if the crash persists.

If it does, do a file check next time you open Play Online. This is known to fix a lot of random .dat related crashes like this. The file for your race's Fell Cleave animation may have become corrupted or something.

And just out of curiosity, are you running Windows 7? Make sure Play Online is being run as an administrator... The amount of errors it can cause if it's not is unreal.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 04:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

First, tyvm for the swift reply! =)

I have actually tried FC in Koroloka tunnel and it didn't occur there. And yes this was on 4 crabs (I was kinda suicidal, but had a lot of potions from the blue chests.. and I somehow survived lol)

I will try the WS in a different Abyssea zone sometime soon.

I... don't even know what plastic surgeon is, so no.

I haven't run a file check in a long time, so I'll do that soon as well.
Update File check came out clean, so that's not the problem.

And yes I do run the game on Windows 7, but I am running POL as an administrator (seems safer?).
By Aeyela 2013-01-15 05:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

NP! Random crashes suck.

If it doesn't occur in other zones, there could be another reason behind you crashing. You wouldn't happen to have been Cleaving with a Conflux on your screen? These are notorious lag spikers and have caused me to randomly crash once or twice just by running up to them.

It could be that it never happens again and restarting makes it go away. Sometimes weird things happen in the game that you can't explain, but rebooting the game or your computer fixes them. Always worth doing if you're having difficulty with something.

Plastic Surgeon is a Windower plugin that lets you change races for visual purposes and only on your screen. If you don't have it then obviously you can't use it, but it'd help determine if your race's Fell Cleave .dat file is corrupted or something... But it sounds like it's not if this only occurred in abyssea and you didn't crash in Kuftal using it.

Is your Final Fantasy XI installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\ by any chance?
[+]
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 05:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Does a Martello count? All the 3 times it happened I was Fell Cleaving Spectators near flux 7 (although the flux itself wasn't on my screen.. I think).

It happened twice two days ago and once yesterday, so rebooting the system doesn't fix it either sadly...

Oh I see. Well I'm not really using Windower anyway so that's not an option for me. Thanks for explaining though =)

I made a joke to someone I broke the game.. literaly. At least I bring some humor to the party as my Warrior... -.-;

Oh and yes it is installed in Program Files x86
By Aeyela 2013-01-15 05:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Try cleaving something else in Uleguerand and see if you still get the problem.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 05:07:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll do a few FC tests tonight and post back the results. I just hope that too many crashes of POL won't break it or something :/
By Aeyela 2013-01-15 05:08:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It shouldn't. It's a tough ol' horse, is that POL!
[+]
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 05:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Something else I have to mention (but this could be coincidental) is the very first time I crashed POL because of FC everyone else in the party crashed as well >_>;

"Gameesh casts Disconnectga!"
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-15 05:58:55
Link | Quote | Reply

people have complained about DC cleaving spectators before.

its probably mob og that exact area related
[+]
 Asura.Myrrh
Server: Asura
user: Myrrhic
By Asura.Myrrh 2013-01-15 06:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Why doesn't this work on RMT FCers -_-
 Lakshmi.Leonien
Server: Lakshmi
user: Leonien
By Lakshmi.Leonien 2013-01-15 06:07:24
Link | Quote | Reply

lol i like how this only just turned up.

It's related to Gear swapping during cleaving on Detector type mobs. Its pretty amusing when you DC your group multiple times :X
But more amusing when you DC all the mules at Altep flux8 who are afk at the Ops dude.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 06:11:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't swap gear though ._.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-01-15 06:11:45
Link | Quote | Reply

It's that mob type. Back when my ls cleaved for time it was a big issue. People on ps2, xbox, and PC all crashed from it randomly at one time or a another. It's as you said though, it would be multiple people at a time as well. Aeolian Edge would cause problems as well.

Avoid Spectators is my advice.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 06:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
people have complained about DC cleaving spectators before.

its probably mob og that exact area related

Really? So it's truly area AND enemy specific? That's so... odd.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 06:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Paulu said: »
It's that mob type. Back when my ls cleaved for time it was a big issue. People on ps2, xbox, and PC all crashed from it randomly at one time or a another. It's as you said though, it would be multiple people at a time as well. Aeolian Edge would cause problems as well.

Avoid Spectators is my advice.

Well as long as I only use Raging Rush and don't Fell Cleave multiple Spectators I'm fine. This is really strange though, but I'm glad it has been cleared up and I'm happy it's not my computer or something throwing a fit :)
 Lakshmi.Xstatic
user: Leonien
By Lakshmi.Xstatic 2013-01-15 06:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a Fyi the same will happen in the other abyssea zones its not isolated to ulegurand.
Idk about outside-abyssea.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 06:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Xstatic said: »
Just a Fyi the same will happen in the other abyssea zones its not isolated to ulegurand.
Idk about outside-abyssea.

If it's about the type of enemy then I assume it will only happen if you FC on Spheroids. As far as I know they only appear in Abyssea Misareaux, Altepa, Grauberg and Uluegrand. I don't think I'll ever use FC outside Abyssea much anyway...
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2013-01-15 07:17:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Its graphics/fx client related crash exception that kicks the game back to POL.

Everytime someone tries to FC satellites by flux7 in Aby Uleg theres a pretty good chance you will crash if you are near someone doing it (close enough to see their character+their FC pull) even with chat filtered.
Paladins AE FC'ing can also trigger the crash there too.

I think SE hate cleaving so they arent exactly motivated to fix it.

td:dr Its a known issue, find someplace else to cleave.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2013-01-15 07:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Graphic driver issues. When you use a AoE WS or spell the game engine will draw multiple instances of particle effects for "colision" on each one of the targets that were hit by the effect of the action.

Some recent video drivers have issues with the way FFXI draw the particle effects and process lighting causing these odd issues. Things like disabling the effects or turning shadows off could alleviate your problem.

A driver version downgrade could also be something to consider as a possible fix.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 11:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

There has been already an answer or two but just to verify; yes it's only on spheroids.

Finished testing just now and I did FC on the following enemies in Abyssea: Wivre, Spheroids, Mandragoras, Eruca, Coeurl, Pugils and Goblins. Only on the spheroids did I get a crash and only if it were a large number (3+, like last time).

FC-ing outside Abyssea never triggers it. I didn't have time to actually find some Spheroids outside Abyssea but it's safe to assume the crash happens there as well.

So yeah bottom line: Spheroids + FC = bad idea...
 Fenrir.Curty
Server: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2013-01-15 11:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty funny stuff, I've never had issues charge whiskering them on blu :)
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-15 12:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Curty said: »
Pretty funny stuff, I've never had issues charge whiskering them on blu :)

It's specifically Fell Cleave on specifically Spheroids.
I'm still surprised by this fact actually...
Square Enix, what the hell?
By Buffyslyph 2013-01-15 19:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

They announced this was an issue over a year ago. People have the memories of goldfish, I swear.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-01-16 00:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Buffyslyph said: »
They announced this was an issue over a year ago. People have the memories of goldfish, I swear.

because announcements makes everybody know it instantaneous ?
 Shiva.Arana
Server: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-01-16 00:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gameesh said: »
;;
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-16 03:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Buffyslyph said: »

Probably because I wasn't leveling WAR at the time I may have missed this.
 Phoenix.Gameesh
By Phoenix.Gameesh 2013-01-16 07:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Arana said: »
Phoenix.Gameesh said: »
;;

>.>;
I just got 99 WAR, I still have to optimize my gear. There will be swaps eventually, just not right now when I had the FC crash.
 Lakshmi.Harkonnen
user: tobenutte
By Lakshmi.Harkonnen 2013-01-16 07:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

just get a Cataclysm build on your WAR if you are doing those and you will have no problem.