Forum » FFXI » Gathering » Gardening » Geodes
Geodes
 Carbuncle.Kigensuro
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: dlsmd
By Carbuncle.Kigensuro 2012-12-16 23:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

anybody know the pattern to garden Geodes??
it was added in the 12/12/2012 update
 Fenrir.Terminus
Server: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-12-17 00:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Well.......... since cactus stems take like three weeks to grow, "no."

But, tree gardening follows a pretty well established pattern - that is, the first crystal fed to it determines the harvest. Usually, the best results come from using two of the same crystals, but that depends on what you're after, really.

Then, there's the idea that game day/moon phase on which you plant it, check it, feed it, and harvest impact the results. Of course that's extremely tough to really test, since you have to account for the moon phase AND game day at each of the several stages, and then you have to build up a large enough sample size.

All that being said, there's 8 geodes, and 8 crystals. When gardening for crystals, it goes reverse elemental wheel, so that could hold true for geodes as well. Or it could be the opposite. Or, it could be totally unrelated.

OR, geodes could be related to the second crystal fed, as opposed to the first.

Then there's the matter of the yield itself. The geodes will be sharing slots with other, already established recipes. Basically, if you plant X seed and Y crystal, you will get a certain number of A, B, C, D, E items. (Sometimes there's only a couple choices, sometimes there is a lot.) So if you use the "right" recipe, you still only have a 1/something chance that that pot yields what you want. On top of that... how many geodes per pot are possible? I dunno. Is SE going to totally *** with us and make each harvest yield something stupid like 10? Or will it be 1? (I bet it's 1.)

Finally, you have to get the stems. Normally that's not a problem because the yields from them weren't all that hot - unless you had a specific need for them for another craft, and you were already a gardener, they pretty much got left alone. Since the update, though, of course there's a greater interest in them. They're not "hard" to farm, but they don't rain from the sky, either. So you should take into account that less than one stem per day sells on Carbuncle.

tl;dr don't garden
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-12-17 00:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

PS, don't forget to check each of your pots at least every other day... though sometimes you can get away with going two days.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2012-12-17 10:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I am planing on testing this.

Setup: Wooden and Arcane pots, match day and crystal, see what happens.

If no geodes then next try will be use crystal strong against day.

If still no geodes third try will be use crystal weak against day.

Don't expect to see any postings from me of massive sample sizes, or anytime soon for that mater.
[+]
 Fenrir.Eneas
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2012-12-17 10:57:41
Link | Quote | Reply

didnt they reduce the time required to grow plants in general?
 Sylph.Kirisawa
Server: Sylph
user: Kirisawa
By Sylph.Kirisawa 2012-12-27 00:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Just finished my first batch, confirmed breeze geode with porcelain flowerpot, cactus stems, wind crystal x2 (planted on windsday, harvested on iceday). ROI was pretty crappy though: 1 breeze geode for 10 pots.

They reduced the time required to grow plants that used to take over 2 weeks to be exactly 2 weeks (which really only affects the dual-crystal "trees").
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-12-27 00:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Oy. But yeah, I couldn't really imagine they would allow you to harvest more than one geode - even though it stacks, it just seems like "one of those things" that gardening will only give you one of.

Barring the time restraints, it could be profitable for fire, but like most things gardening not very exciting to most players.

So it looks like same element as crystals. I've got some going now, too, but they only started a few days ago. I'll give them something other than wind to see how it goes.
[+]
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2013-01-06 00:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just did this in 20 arcane pots for fire geodes, planted on lightsday, fed on firesday fire crystals x2, harvested on lightsday going by what it says on the wiki about different plants being aligned with different days. In any case all I got was a ton of red rocks, little worms, rock salt. Not a single geode. Unless the secret recipe is some weird combination of crystals doesn't seem worth the time.
 Cerberus.Zoux
Server: Cerberus
user: Zoux
By Cerberus.Zoux 2013-01-11 21:41:50
Link | Quote | Reply

60 porcelian pots, planted 100% fullmoon lights day, fed 2x fire crystal firesday, random examination on firesdays and 18 real life day later, 8 flame geodes Yay!!! One of my mules saw 4/10 flame geodes rest were little worms and red rock.

Can farm more flame geodes if you just log on and catch the firesday of the vanaweek or catch firestorm weather.

Hope this helps anyone who's planning of trying to grow them.
[+]
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-01-11 22:00:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Never kept track of the days due to total lack of attention span, but, arcane pots can yield up to three geodes.* I randomly did water
(USEFUL!!!)
Just 1/10 pots yielded geodes, and it yielded three.

*Or maybe more.

It still seems too much of a pain to do reliably, at least to me.

On a side note: Did you guys notice they nerfed wildgrass results NPC prices? Was sad. :(
 Fenrir.Jeville
user: Jeville
By Fenrir.Jeville 2013-01-11 22:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Terminus said: »
On a side note: Did you guys notice they nerfed wildgrass results NPC prices? Was sad. :(
It wasn't ninja'd though, they acknowledged that (and is included in the cruor nerf update) and mentioned looking into adding something else to make up for it. Now these are added (other than geodes):

Fruit Seeds: Walnut, Butterpear
Herb Seeds: King Truffle
Vegetable Seeds: Burdock, Winterflower
Cactus Stems: Nopales, Dragon Fruit (and geodes)

Can be sold to NPCs for prices comparable to pre-nerfed greens.
[+]
 Bahamut.Mirya
Server: Bahamut
user: Mirya
By Bahamut.Mirya 2013-01-17 19:40:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone gotten any Dragon Fruit or Burdock gardening since the patch? If so what crystals/pots did you use?
 Fenrir.Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2013-01-17 20:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Jeville said: »
Fenrir.Terminus said: »
It wasn't ninja'd though, they acknowledged that (and is included in the cruor nerf update) and mentioned looking into adding something else to make up for it. Now these are added (other than geodes):

Fruit Seeds: Walnut, Butterpear
Herb Seeds: King Truffle
Vegetable Seeds: Burdock, Winterflower
Cactus Stems: Nopales, Dragon Fruit (and geodes)

Can be sold to NPCs for prices comparable to pre-nerfed greens.

Oh I never noticed npc prices for stuff like that - was always trying to hoard them for myself to cook. :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [64 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Kigensuro
Server: Carbuncle
user: dlsmd
By Carbuncle.Kigensuro 2013-03-22 20:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry for not posting back sooner had issues to take care of

thanks for the info on the geode Gardening
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [38 days between previous and next post]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-04-29 11:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Did my test.

Everything on Fireday, payed no attention to moon phase.

10 wooden pots, 2 flame geodes, 2 pots of rock salt, 1 pot little worms, rest red rocks.

10 Arcane pots, 2 pots of rock salt, 2 pots little worms, rest red rocks 3 - 4 / pot. Disappointing.

Planted the same day.

Next test will be 10 wooden, 10 brass, 10 porcelain. Again fire crystals, either Iceday or Waterday don't know which I will try yet.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-05-21 13:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Test the 2ed, Fed Fire crystals, did everything on Waterday.

Ceramic flowerpots (water): 2 pots 1 flame geode each, 2 pots little worms, 3 pots Rock Salt, 3 pots red rocks.

Wooden flowerpots (earth?): 2 pots 1 flame geode each, 3 pots little worms, 1 pot Rock Salt, 4 pots red rocks.

Brass flowerpots (fire): 3 pots 1 flame geode each, 1 pot little worms, 1 pot Rock Salt, 5 pots red rocks.

So far it looks like day strong against your crystal / geode and matching the pot's element to crystal / geode, if possible, helps. I'm looking at the failure harvests as well as at the geode harvests for that statement.

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Don't expect to see any postings from me of massive sample sizes, or anytime soon for that mater.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2013-06-09 12:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Test the 3ed, Fed Fire crystals, did everything on Iceday.

Ceramic flowerpots (water): 1 pot with 1 flame geode, 5 pots little worms, 1 pot Rock Salt, 3 pots red rocks.

Wooden flowerpots (earth?): 3 pots 1 flame geode each, 2 pots little worms, 1 pot Rock Salt, 4 pots red rocks.

Brass flowerpots (fire): 1 pot with 1 flame geode, 3 pots little worms, 4 pots Rock Salt, 2 pots red rocks.

By standard gardening theory this crystal / day combo should suck. And save for the Wooden Pot garden it did.

Please note I couldn't much do things on the best days of the month. This was the first harvest done on Waxing Gibbous.

If the flame geode price hadn't plummeted the next test would be back to Waterday 1st feeding Fire Crystal, 2ed Light Crystal. As things stand the price might rebound after R/E/M weapon adjustment.