POL-2059 When Idle in FFXI
 Phoenix.Meowzer
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2012-12-01 05:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Error: POL-2059/0006
Instantly disconnects at random, no R0 or lag.
Provider: CenturyLink
Router: Westell A90-750022-07
Software Version: 5.02.00.04

Other Information: In a house, no heavy walls/objects that can disrupt signal to and from router and laptop. No other wireless signals nearby. Wireless signal is protected, only one or two other home devices on (wireless) simultaneously maximum, both of which use negligible bandwidth.

Computer Information:
ASUS Notebook K40IJ/K50IJ Series
Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU T4500 2.30GHz 2.30GHz
RAM: 4.00 GM
System Type: 64-Bit Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (Internal)

Config: "Automatically disconnect" is set to OFF.
PlayOnline Network Settings: Connection Check ENABLED.
(Also tried with DISABLED, no difference.)
Windows screensaver is disabled.
Idle, sleep, hibernate, etc. disabled on PC.
Windows firewall is disabled.
Router firewall is disabled.
Anti-virus is disabled.
Ports forwarded, IP is static.
PC network hardware "disable sleep" set.
No other programs running in background.
Internet connection is stable on other PCs.
Recently cycled router.

Scanned With:
AVG Scan - Clear.
Housecall (Trend Micro) - Clear.
AdAware - Clear.
Malware Bytes - Clear.

I do not run any applications besides Window's core essentials while playing Final Fantasy XI. Running on AC Power or Battery does not seem to affect this issue. There is no "down time" when the disconnect happens. It's as if something just cuts the connection for a split second, only interrupting FFXI and nothing else. What could be causing this, and what options do I have for a solution?
 Bismarck.Narshee
Server: Bismarck
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Narshee 2012-12-01 05:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I have nothing of use to offer but I will say CenturyLink sucks ***.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [41 days between previous and next post]
 Phoenix.Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-11 16:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated. The problem still persists, and I have yet to find a solution.
 Bismarck.Zagen
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-01-11 17:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Try making sure the system(s) you play on is(are) set to the main/priority system in the router settings, that worked for me when I had this issue. Usually the tab is labeled gamer settings or something to that effect.
 Phoenix.Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-12 04:10:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Router has no options like that. Updated main post to reflect router information.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-15 03:37:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't had a chance to do that. I have to move my girlfriend's family's router and stuff for them (we're re-arranging the basement) so I'll find out soon.

In the meantime, I did discover a/the potential issue. Whenever multiple devices are running using a connection that consumes a moderate to large amount of bandwidth, Final Fantasy XI on my laptop will POL-2059 instant disconnect without r0.

They've always had a lot of issues with their internet not working, so I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to boost router signal and/or efficiency. I'm not sure how to check or alter settings if there's some sort of bandwidth cap that's limited to the router. Any input is appreciated. I'll keep updating as I tweak stuff.
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-01-15 22:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Meowzer said: »
Router has no options like that. Updated main post to reflect router information.
It might be under a different name, what brand/make is the router?

As to boosting signal stuff routers have fixed caps (should be 100mbs for wired and 54mbs for wireless if it isn't a higher end router). You can change the settings as to which computer gets priority like I mentioned before you just have to find the tab/setting. At least I've never come across a router that doesn't have that capability.

If there is a signal issue when you plug in directly to the modem then the problem is either with the connection to the house, the modem itself or both. If you have a steady connection when plugged into the modem directly then the router is likely bad.

You can check your connection speed with: http://www.speedtest.net/
 Phoenix.Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-21 06:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Zagen said: »

As to boosting signal stuff routers have fixed caps (should be 100mbs for wired and 54mbs for wireless if it isn't a higher end router). You can change the settings as to which computer gets priority like I mentioned before you just have to find the tab/setting. At least I've never come across a router that doesn't have that capability.

If there is a signal issue when you plug in directly to the modem then the problem is either with the connection to the house, the modem itself or both. If you have a steady connection when plugged into the modem directly then the router is likely bad.

It's in the first post.
It's a Westell A90-750022-07.
I just checked every option in there. I see nothing to prioritize certain connections.
Speed test ran at 6.12Mbps Down, 0.49Mbps Up, 54ms of latency.
Hopefully I can fix this issue. I just disconnected and wiped to a Tinnin because of it, lol. :(
 Ragnarok.Ravant
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ravant
By Ragnarok.Ravant 2013-01-21 06:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sooo my main character Ravant got DC'd with this error today when I left him afk over night, however my alt Sonno still stayed logged in. weird

Also this is the first time I've had this happen. Ive been playing on PC for years and leave my characters logged in almost 24/7 unless they somehow get DC'd.
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2013-01-21 06:51:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll try and help if i can.

The best thing to do is get an ethernet cable since it fixes most computer <- -> router problems, which is the most common reason for connection dropping.

Basically it'll fix it if it's one of these problems.

Computer/Router wifi prioritizing/connecting problems (software/router settings/custom firware for ur router (google is your friend)
USB lag (Quick fix: unplug as many usb devices as you can)
Interference (Quick fix : change you router channel 1,6,11 are best but try them all)
Sharing the router.

Anyway, if you get an ethernet cable and the problem persists (unlikely) it's most likely an issue with your isp or phone/cable line or router(unlikely for a game like FFXI)

Btw annoyingly some wireless computer <- -> router problems are unfixable unless you buy a new (more costly) router or wifi dongle/card
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-01-21 09:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's in the first post.
It's a Westell A90-750022-07.
I just checked every option in there. I see nothing to prioritize certain connections.
Speed test ran at 6.12Mbps Down, 0.49Mbps Up, 54ms of latency.
Hopefully I can fix this issue. I just disconnected and wiped to a Tinnin because of it, lol. :(

Not sure why I couldn't find the name in the OP when I posted, thanks for pointing it out again :)

I'm not familiar with the brand, this being the first time I've heard of it. That said, apparently your router doesn't have that sort of thing enabled by default, some Westell routers don't even have the options at all, (WTF crossed my mind while reading that) which makes it even harder to setup if you can, and leaves more room for error but here's a decent/good post on how to: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110728143722AA1rlQg

Your speeds don't seem bad though I could see the upload rate being a problem depending on how many people are using the network at the same time and/or what they're doing on it.

Ragnarok.Rezeak said: »
The best thing to do is get an ethernet cable since it fixes most computer <- -> router problems, which is the most common reason for connection dropping.

This is extremely odd as a wireless router by default should be prioritizing wireless connections over wired.
 Phoenix.Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-21 12:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

General usage information:

Apparently the router was given to my girlfriend's family when they got CenturyLink. They say they've always had issues with them, so there's a chance it's just the terrible service that comes from this part of the country (TV, internet, and anything new-age related is horrible. We live in a tiny rural conservative town that doesn't like new things or change, lol.)

I usually play on an unshared connection. If it is shared, there's usually only 1 other laptop in the house using something light on data like Google'ing something, paying bills, etc. No USB devices are used when playing FFXI.Channel changes are not affecting service (it was set on 6 already, too).

I can't figure out the QoS settings for squat. There's way too many settings to tweak on there that I'm not familiar with. The options on the page are: WAN Upstream Rate, Turbo TCP, IP Fragmentation, Size, 2 categories (Peak/Commited Info Rate) for Network Control, Expedited Forwarding, Assured Forwarding, Best Effort, then a QoS rule filter page. I have FFXI port forwarded, and the guide said that QoS might kill port forwarding, so I have a feeling enabling it would do more harm than good.

The only thing I haven't checked yet is directly connecting via Ethernet. Once I find a cable and have a chance I'll connect and see if I still get 2059.
 Fenrir.Mariane
Server: Fenrir
user: leo
By Fenrir.Mariane 2013-01-21 13:46:39
Link | Quote | Reply

This is extremely odd as a wireless router by default should be prioritizing wireless connections over wired.

If you live on a Apartments building, there will be lots of wifi hotspots and wireless phones. Your neighbors are very likely to have stuff which is making your wireless disconnect.

I live in a house and even then, I can detect and sometimes even connect to two or three wireless hot spots from the neighboring houses.

WIFI is slow and unreliable. Should be used only if the device you're using is portable (and you rely on it being portable) and/or have no practical means of using wired connections. Even the high grade high performance current gen wireless networking is sub par if you compare to gigabit lan.

Seriously even the videogames have gigabit lan ports these days.
(Sorry fanboys XBOX360 is 10/100 only lol)
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-01-21 15:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

General usage information:

Apparently the router was given to my girlfriend's family when they got CenturyLink. They say they've always had issues with them, so there's a chance it's just the terrible service that comes from this part of the country (TV, internet, and anything new-age related is horrible. We live in a tiny rural conservative town that doesn't like new things or change, lol.)

I usually play on an unshared connection. If it is shared, there's usually only 1 other laptop in the house using something light on data like Google'ing something, paying bills, etc. No USB devices are used when playing FFXI.Channel changes are not affecting service (it was set on 6 already, too).

I can't figure out the QoS settings for squat. There's way too many settings to tweak on there that I'm not familiar with. The options on the page are: WAN Upstream Rate, Turbo TCP, IP Fragmentation, Size, 2 categories (Peak/Commited Info Rate) for Network Control, Expedited Forwarding, Assured Forwarding, Best Effort, then a QoS rule filter page. I have FFXI port forwarded, and the guide said that QoS might kill port forwarding, so I have a feeling enabling it would do more harm than good.

The only thing I haven't checked yet is directly connecting via Ethernet. Once I find a cable and have a chance I'll connect and see if I still get 2059.

The "might kill forwarding part" shouldn't be true but as I said I'm not familiar with that brand of routers so for all I know it does. I'd say hold off until you test directly connected, hopefully it's the router at which point I'd recommend Linksys (Linked is the current one I use at home and is used at work) or Trendnet if on a budget.

Fenrir.Mariane said: »

If you live on a Apartments building, there will be lots of wifi hotspots and wireless phones. Your neighbors are very likely to have stuff which is making your wireless disconnect.

I live in a house and even then, I can detect and sometimes even connect to two or three wireless hot spots from the neighboring houses.

WIFI is slow and unreliable. Should be used only if the device you're using is portable (and you rely on it being portable) and/or have no practical means of using wired connections. Even the high grade high performance current gen wireless networking is sub par if you compare to gigabit lan.

Over used default channels is usually the problem here not that wifi itself sucks. Checking for low use channels and changing the channel your wifi is using is the fix for that.Free Wifi Scanner (inSSIDer), find the least used channel and switch to that. Now if all channels have a RSSi of -80 (it'll be red) or lower well then wifi in that area would truly suck.

Also I'd love to know what ISP you have to actually take advantage of a gigabit lan port. Unless you're talking about a lan party which I haven't heard of since around 2003 lol.
 Phoenix.Meowzer
By Phoenix.Meowzer 2013-01-22 18:34:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Mariane said: »

I play on a laptop (ASUS I picked up in fall 2010), and the wireless modem/router is not in the best spot for using an ethernet cable. I've never had issues with FFXI until now (new house, new internet).

I also live in a house. There are no other Wifi signals in range. Auto-connect is disabled. The ONLY signal my laptop picks up and uses and processes is the one I have at the house here. Additionally, our signal is protected/etcetc and I can see what devices are using data on it. Besides the occasional Netflix or internet search, no other devices in the house are doing anything to interrupt signal flow or bandwidth.

I'm on an ethernet cable right now in the basement and so far it has not disconnected on me in about 24 hours. I'll give it a few more days to see if there's a 2059 error. Sometimes I'd go ~3 days without 2059 error problems, sometimes I'd go 30 minutes.

Also, updated the first post for anybody who has questions about my devices, service, etc. Should have nearly everything you need to know to troubleshoot without getting into computer-science-level-specifics.
 Sylph.Kawar
Server: Sylph
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2013-01-25 16:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll try and help if i can.

Basically it'll fix it if it's one of these problems.

Computer/Router wifi prioritizing/connecting problems (software/router settings/custom firware for ur router (google is your friend)
USB lag (Quick fix: unplug as many usb devices as you can)
Interference (Quick fix : change you router channel 1,6,11 are best but try them all)
Sharing the router.

Anyway, if you get an ethernet cable and the problem persists (unlikely) it's most likely an issue with your isp or phone/cable line or router(unlikely for a game like FFXI)

Btw annoyingly some wireless computer <- -> router problems are unfixable unless you buy a new (more costly) router or wifi dongle/card
This information about the ethernet cable is a lie.Yes part of that message is not i have had less problems with a cable then wireless.But it should not matter.What i think you should do is call your ISP and see if they can check the logs to see if it shows when and how many times it dropped on there end then have them look in too it.Then after that if that is not the problem then we can look at other fixs.

Quote:
NEVER use the router that your ISP gives you there are so many better ones out there if you can get linksys then you should be fine.linksys is a really good company on top of router only down side hard to update firmware.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2013-01-25 16:50:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I had similar issues with my home router/wireless bundle. I could detect the 'strong' signal (using my upstairs PC's antenna/booster) but it would still intermittently drop signal. My brother and sister-in-law never noticed these intermittent drops because they never used our internet in a streaming/MMO capacity and only used it to surf the web. I suspect it has to do with the distance from the antenna, as well as blocking/wiring/other signals from sources like our wireless internet phone line.

After a while of getting fed up with DC's I bought a Belkin Powerline set...

http://www.belkin.com/networking/powerline/

Amazon item page to give an easier idea of what it's about (prices in $USD)

...which works through the house's wiring to create an ethernet connection. I found it to be very convenient because obviously it was very limiting to use the PC only at the router location through an ethernet cable.

Because the ethernet cable seems to be consistent for you performance-wise, you might want to look into this. You can plug in the signal receptors at any point where there is an outlet in your home, then run the ethernet cable to your laptop.

Hopefully that's a good option for you.