Link | Quote | Reply

that don't answer my question D:
 Valefor.Drewsif
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Drewsif
By Valefor.Drewsif 2012-11-25 20:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't know everyone's problem but i am running windower and windows 8. need to run windower as admin and check x64 every time on gui launcher
By Jetackuu 2012-11-25 22:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Shabbanton said: »

it does, you just don't like the answer...
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-25 22:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Oh get the *** over yourself.

Don't give windower any compatibility settings -- right click and run as admin every time, though.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2012-11-25 23:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »

Oh get the *** over yourself.

Don't give windower any compatibility settings -- right click and run as admin every time, though.

in what way?

trying to pretend that Windows 8 isn't awful?

sorry, not happening.
By Zecilus 2012-11-25 23:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I think he was implying if you can't actually contribute to providing any genuinely helpful advice then don't bother posting a failed attempt at trying to be witty.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2012-11-25 23:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Zecilus said: »
I think he was implying if you can't actually contribute to providing any genuinely helpful advice then don't bother posting a failed attempt at trying to be witty.

I'm sorry if either of you two consider it to be sound advice.

It was no attempt to be "witty."

I'm sorry that you can't discern the difference, and Sect I'm disappointed that you can't.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-26 02:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Regardless of if it works or not, the OS is brand new... Give MS a bit to at least get the first service pack out to fix all the issues they always have.
 Carbuncle.Shabbanton
Server: Carbuncle
user: Shabba
By Carbuncle.Shabbanton 2012-11-26 08:52:53
Link | Quote | Reply

well
i reinstalled whole Windows 8 and ffxi and it works now..
By Jetackuu 2012-11-26 09:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Regardless of if it works or not, the OS is brand new... Give MS a bit to at least get the first service pack out to fix all the issues they always have.

I'll just stick with Windows 7 and laugh at people trying to get ***to work.

That's not even to mention the closed application development, but that has less to do with the OS and more to do with a business decision.

So one could either pull their hair out waiting for updates that may fix it's issues (considering some of them are core features, I doubt) or I could just use a working operating system and suggest others do the same.

Then again I'm the crazy guy who dualboots to XP still to get my older games working without a lot of trouble.
 Fenrir.Ayerro
Server: Fenrir
user: Ayerro
By Fenrir.Ayerro 2012-11-26 09:22:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I had no problems with windowed and windows 8. :< didn't install Xi with the CDs though, but make sure you installed the right regular POl viewer for your region? D:
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-26 09:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not even to mention the closed application development, but that has less to do with the OS and more to do with a business decision.

So one could either pull their hair out waiting for updates that may fix it's issues (considering some of them are core features, I doubt) or I could just use a working operating system and suggest others do the same.

Then again I'm the crazy guy who dualboots to XP still to get my older games working without a lot of trouble.

I'm always annoyed by new OS's. People get new shines and then I have to make them work or fix them when they break or have compatibility issues with our systems...
By Jetackuu 2012-11-26 09:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm always annoyed by new OS's. People get new shines and then I have to make them work or fix them when they break or have compatibility issues with our systems...

Compatibility is my #1 concern, and once again Microsoft failed at it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-11-26 10:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Compatibility with a 10 year old game that no one plays should be nowhere on the radar of MS; that's on SE's grind. It's their product. MS is driving for progress -- why should they hold onto legacy 10 year old ***?

Your whole arrogance over "well, hurr durr, Windows 8 sucks lulz you're idiots for trying to get it working, I'm smart" is getting very *** old.

So once again, pretend you know something about the software development life cycle. Pretend you're a software developer. Pretend that you're anything in the world of software, because that's all you can do.

Because you're not anything in that. You're a nothing, a nobody; if you did anything with software for a prolonged period of time, if you ever worked on an OS, if you ever worked on a system for more than a few weeks you'd know that 90% of what you say in topics like this is totally ignorant ***.

Leave the dev advice to the devs, because you clearly don't know ***about anything here anymore.

As an actual software engineer, as someone who's worked with OS's, as someone who worked really *** hard on their education, you and your ilk piss me the *** off. You pretend to know what you're saying, but all you're doing is spewing ***.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2012-11-26 10:48:09
Link | Quote | Reply

While it might be advise for people that are thinking about windows 8 by saying not to get it, it can crap up a thread when people are looking for support. More people will get windows 8 either with a new computer or upgrade. I wouldn't want a user to be reluctant to ask a question regarding windows 8 support because the same arguments come up. There has been a thread with some helpful posts already, do a quick search.

I believe FFXI w/o windower works fine on win8 unless you are not doing a clean install and moving from XP or below. Windower is unique in that it is a hook for POL/FFXI and extends the functionality. It will read memory of the hooked process and intercept windows API calls. A windower dev can correct me if I'm wrong there. I believe this is why Windows requires Windower to be run as admin. A stricter default security policy by the OS can break stuff.

From what I learned, a clean install of both Win8 and FFXI is the best way to go if you are looking to upgrade to Windows 8.
[+]
By Aeyela 2012-11-26 11:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Compatibility with a 10 year old game that no one plays should be nowhere on the radar of MS; that's on SE's grind. It's their product. MS is driving for progress -- why should they hold onto legacy 10 year old ***?

Your whole arrogance over "well, hurr durr, Windows 8 sucks lulz you're idiots for trying to get it working, I'm smart" is getting very *** old.

So once again, pretend you know something about the software development life cycle. Pretend you're a software developer. Pretend that you're anything in the world of software, because that's all you can do.

Because you're not anything in that. You're a nothing, a nobody; if you did anything with software for a prolonged period of time, if you ever worked on an OS, if you ever worked on a system for more than a few weeks you'd know that 90% of what you say in topics like this is totally ignorant ***.

Leave the dev advice to the devs, because you clearly don't know ***about anything here anymore.

As an actual software engineer, as someone who's worked with OS's, as someone who worked really *** hard on their education, you and your ilk piss me the *** off. You pretend to know what you're saying, but all you're doing is spewing ***.

By Jetackuu 2012-11-26 11:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

you of all people should know that compatibility isn't a per game thing.

It's not arrogance at all, and it's advice for more than just FFXI.

Oh so the epeen is out now.

Oh I hurt your ego, I'm sorry.

I do know what I'm talking about.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings though.

Fenrir.Scragg said: »
While it might be advise for people that are thinking about windows 8 by saying not to get it, it can crap up a thread when people are looking for support. More people will get windows 8 either with a new computer or upgrade. I wouldn't want a user to be reluctant to ask a question regarding windows 8 support because the same arguments come up. There has been a thread with some helpful posts already, do a quick search.

I believe FFXI w/o windower works fine on win8 unless you are not doing a clean install and moving from XP or below. Windower is unique in that it is a hook for POL/FFXI and extends the functionality. It will read memory of the hooked process and intercept windows API calls. A windower dev can correct me if I'm wrong there. I believe this is why Windows requires Windower to be run as admin. A stricter default security policy by the OS can break stuff.

From what I learned, a clean install of both Win8 and FFXI is the best way to go if you are looking to upgrade to Windows 8.

I'm sorry I was giving advice based upon time/effort on the total OS experience, not just FFXI.
 Bismarck.Lillica
Server: Bismarck
user: agryas99
By Bismarck.Lillica 2012-11-26 11:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know what you do for a living Jet, but it's important to keep in mind that sometimes in the industry saying "Forget the newest windows" is not going to be an option.

If something doesn't work with new windows by default, and your company or higher ups just bought the OS upgrade for their systems, they are not going to accept "Well we should just roll back to 7, it's easier that way". If that is the only solution you want to come up with, well, good luck at your next interview.

Sure it is easier to just say forget it and go back to 7, takes less time to tell someone that too, but for me part of the...fun I guess... of being an IT is trying to find a way to make things work, instead of just writing it off.
By Aeyela 2012-11-26 11:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry I was giving advice based upon time/effort on the total OS experience, not just FFXI.

You call that advice? I'd call that being snarky.
By Jetackuu 2012-11-26 11:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lillica said: »
I don't know what you do for a living Jet, but it's important to keep in mind that sometimes in the industry saying "Forget the newest windows" is not going to be an option.

If something doesn't work with new windows by default, and your company or higher ups just bought the OS upgrade for their systems, they are not going to accept "Well we should just roll back to 7, it's easier that way". If that is the only solution you want to come up with, well, good luck at your next interview.

Sure it is easier to just say forget it and go back to 7, takes less time to tell someone that too, but for me part of the...fun I guess... of being an IT is trying to find a way to make things work, instead of just writing it off.

I work in an industry, where we do just that.

They buy new machines with 7 licenses on them, we put XP on them.

Why? For compatibility.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Lillica
Server: Bismarck
user: agryas99
By Bismarck.Lillica 2012-11-26 11:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I hear you Jet, same thing with the Navy, hell we had some boxes running NT 4.0 in like 2008.

I'm just saying that ***happens, your company could go *** up and the only place hiring may want Windows 8 people working for them. It's a good idea to learn the new systems and such in case some crazy ***happens, like Windows actually making a good new OS... lol.

Or, more likely the case, pain in the *** family members end up buying shitty Wal Mart boxes with 8 on them and calling you every time they put a slice of bologna in the DVD drive.
By Aeyela 2012-11-26 11:58:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Why? For compatibility.

Presumably for older software? The thing is, FFXI is still being updated... So the impetus for compatibility is on SE's head, not Microsoft's. A new client was launched for Vista/7 users, if compatibility is an issue within Windows 8 I'm sure they'll make one for that.
By Jetackuu 2012-11-26 11:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lillica said: »
Yeah I hear you Jet, same thing with the Navy, hell we had some boxes running NT 4.0 in like 2008.

I'm just saying that ***happens, your company could go *** up and the only place hiring may want Windows 8 people working for them. It's a good idea to learn the new systems and such in case some crazy ***happens, like Windows actually making a good new OS... lol.

Or, more likely the case, pain in the *** family members end up buying shitty Wal Mart boxes with 8 on them and calling you every time they put a slice of bologna in the DVD drive.

My mother still has vista on her laptop, I keep trying to get her to wipe it...

I highly doubt a hospital will go *** up though.
By Jetackuu 2012-11-26 12:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »

Why? For compatibility.

Presumably for older software? The thing is, FFXI is still being updated... So the impetus for compatibility is on SE's head, not Microsoft's. A new client was launched for Vista/7 users, if compatibility is an issue within Windows 8 I'm sure they'll make one for that.

you don't get it...
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-11-26 12:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Still waiting for Jet to provide video-proof of why PS2 FFXI is superior to PC FFXI.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2012-11-26 12:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Still waiting for Jet to provide video-proof of why PS2 FFXI is superior to PC FFXI.

don't need to, Leo already substantiated that claim.
First Page 2