Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 342 343 344 ... 445 446 447
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-28 14:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

B. I don't have rema on my blu and it's still very powerful and self sufficient, though, I don't play it much anymore.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-08-28 16:17:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I also don't play a lot of BLU these days, but running out of other jobs to get Dyna[D] clears on so I cleaned up my sets. Plus, doing some Mythic stuff these days and BLU is kind of a beast on farming Ichor/Tokens/Alex...

I was using Tan+1/Colada and holding my own back when I was last playing BLU somewhat seriously (like, over a year ago), generally with a lot of CDC spam. Just didn't know if the melee meta had changed at all to shift more heavily toward Savage since that time - particularly in connection with the stronger WSD options we have seen in the past couple years (AF/Relic+3, Jhakri +2 hands, more people getting good WSD Herc augments, etc.)

I assume it's also to some extent a matter of who you're playing with and ease of SCing. Easy enough to self-SC light with CDC spam, and it does tend to play nice with a lot of other popular WS. But I feel like from a pure WS damage perspective, Savage tends to win out once you have a strong enough WSD set. Choosing WS on the fly is always somewhat of a viable approach, though for this situation in particular it can be a little bit of a tough choice on which offhand to bring - since Hep+1 is better for Savage, and Colada is better for CDC.

Third-world BLU problems... those who are selecting between Sequence/Tizona/Almace don't really run into this issue ;) But BLU is like my... eighth priority or something, and I don't have the time to start making it ultimate weapons. I'll have enough to deal with in the incoming RMEA upgrade grind.
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
Server: Shiva
user: Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2018-08-28 18:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't played for like a year, and probably haven't played at all regularly for at least two years.

IIRC, my TP set is something like:

Claid/Nibiru/Ginsen
Adhemhar/Asperity/Brutal/Ebani(?)
Adhemhar/Herc/Rajas/Petov(?)
Lupine/Windbuffet+1/Herc/Herc

Got some good WS swaps, and most/all Amalric for nuking, plus Nibiru Cudgels (I think)... Herc augments aren't perfect, but all have 4 TA - just sub-optimal Acc/Atk/STR... Got some decent Fast Cast and Healing stuff, but nothing spectacular. I'm a bit over 1200 JP, if I remember...

1: How far behind am I at this point?

2: What can I do solo to get caught up?

I remember being able to somewhat easily solo weaker NMs in Escha... Apex CP solo was not worthwhile... I was able to survive that event where you fight August/Teodor/etc solo, but not able to win.
 Shiva.Zykei
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2018-08-28 19:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Fran,
not much has been released for BLU for the past year or so.

Things to look forward for gear-wise:

Ambu: get Ayanmo and Jhakri +2 and Capes.
Omen: get some AF+3.
Dynamis D: get some Relic+3 (Legs only really, rest is situational at best).
Slowly upgrade all your NQ Adhemar/Amalric to HQ with that sweet ambu gil coming in.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-08-28 19:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU has been shunned from basically everything good outside of JSE stuff since Omen came out, so if you're just returning to it, you're not missing much at all.

Big thing is to start building Ambuscapes. They have no rival for basically anything anymore (White Wind with Moonlight is the only situation I can think of where they lose). Get your DEX/crit for CDC, STR/WSD for Savage/Expiacion, DEX/DA or STP for TP, then start working on the slightly more niche ones like nuking/healing/meva.

Zykei is right on picking up Ambuscade gear. Ayanmo has some good pieces, notably an exceptional body, and Jhakri has great midtier nuking options.
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2018-08-28 19:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey Zyk, long time no see!

Is Ambu reliably soloable still? Some of the earlier events were doable IIRC, but it was a bit annoying with the constant zoning and running out to dragons, etc... Maybe I'm misremembering though.

How sweet is this sweet Ambu gil you speak of?

I think my only experience with it is killing a dragon on N a few times early on... I got a cape out of the deal (Rosemarta?), but didn't get any augments on it...
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-08-28 19:51:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Regular Ambuscade can be soloed, but it would be an enormous grind over finding parties for Intense. It can certainly be done, especially as BLU since the job excels in low-buff situations, but you'll save time and sanity grouping for the Intense fights.

In terms of money, buying all the actually worthwhile items a month is easily ~25m, depending on your server.

Just make sure to also get your capes and cape upgrade items, as the value they provide each job is absurd.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2018-08-30 16:20:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The latter. Use fotia gorget/belt, aim for crit hit dmg/dex/acc/attack.

WSD does very little for CDC.
 Valefor.Yandaime
Server: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2018-08-30 16:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Sandraa said: »
Hello sorry for the noobie question

At 1250% TP what is better stack for Chant du Cygne 50% weapon skill damage or 30% Triple attack.

Both sets have over 1100 accuracy before food and already have the sets!

Assuming this is a real question, Triple Attack. BUT you should know that Chant Du Cygne is...

DEX 80%, Rolling fTP with Critical Hit Capabilities, TP only controls Critical Hit Rate.

So WSD would only affect the first hit and is largely near-worthless for the WS. As for Priorities for CDC/Vorpal Blade, you'd want to look into fTP Boosters (Moonshade and the Fotias) -> Critical Hit Damage -> Critical Hit Rate -> Multi-Attack -> DEX (CDC and slightly for Vorpal) -> WSD -> Acc/Attack

Sorry if you already knew all of that, its just odd to see a WSD vs TA question pop up for CDC is all
By Boshi 2018-08-30 17:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

just to give you an idea, by adding +1 on these stats to my current cdc set this is average dmg raise spreadsheet gives me:
1da: +45
1ta: +138
1qa: +184
1dex: +51
1critRate: +160
1critDmg: +319
1wsd: +45

~~

Generally ppl tend to underestimate dex.
Most common mistake I see is people using herc armor with critD that doesn't have enough dex to beat their standard piece (adhemar ect).

fotia are amazing for cdc. but, CDC like most crit WS does -not- have a ftp mod from tp, only crit rate.
@1k: 15% c rate
@2k: 25% c rate (+10% from 1k)
@3k: 40% c rate (+15% from 2k)

Also notes:
Adhemar Jacket +1 very underrated for CDC.
Earrings: mache+1 > moonshade > mache nq > brutal
[+]
By Sabishii 2018-09-10 23:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Boshi said: »
just to give you an idea, by adding +1 on these stats to my current cdc set this is average dmg raise spreadsheet gives me:

~~

Most common mistake I see is people using herc armor with critD that doesn't have enough dex to beat their standard piece (adhemar ect).

fotia are amazing for cdc. but, CDC like most crit WS does -not- have a ftp mod from tp, only crit rate.

Also notes:

You say Adhemar Jacket +1 over Herc vest, but I'm currently using Abnoba Kaftan, you would use Adhemar +1 over that? Even with the nice crit chance AND crit damage?

Also on a separate note: with the REMA upgrades, we know the stats:

So three choices on what to upgrade first, and to begin with, Sequence gets tossed in the absolute last choice (in terms of BLU swords) or the pile of not worth upgrading, because ***'s an offhand weapon for Almace, or Tizona if you don't have Almace, or a mainhand if you lack anything else.

That leaves Tizona, my favorite weapon vs Almace, usually my offhand weapon, but get's arguably the more useful augment (CDC damage when main-handed only).

I really want to upgrade Tizona first, but uuuuugh, +CDC damage AND DEX+ T_T
 Bahamut.Lordshaxx
Server: Bahamut
user: Crescens
By Bahamut.Lordshaxx 2018-09-11 00:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Has anyone considered the BLU neck piece +2 with max augs for a CDC set versus Fotia?

I'd pursue it because it's already a fantastic TP and casting piece, but with max augs it looks like a great CDC piece as well. Just wondering how it stacks up to Fotia...
By AkaniDragoon 2018-09-11 00:23:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Lordshaxx said: »
Has anyone considered the BLU neck piece +2 with max augs for a CDC set versus Fotia?

I'd pursue it because it's already a fantastic TP and casting piece, but with max augs it looks like a great CDC piece as well. Just wondering how it stacks up to Fotia...

Well I can tell you it's the for-sure route for Expiacion. As far as CDC, imo it does outweigh Fotia at the +2 level -- I can't really say for NQ/HQ1. It's essentially a mini-empyrean weapon in your neck-slot. Personally excited to roll out the Tizz Aug + get the neckHQ2 and throw some Expiacions around \o/
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2018-09-11 07:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sabishii said: »

~~

Also notes:

You say Adhemar Jacket +1 over Herc vest, but I'm currently using Abnoba Kaftan, you would use Adhemar +1 over that? Even with the nice crit chance AND crit damage?

Also on a separate note: with the REMA upgrades, we know the stats:

So three choices on what to upgrade first, and to begin with, Sequence gets tossed in the absolute last choice (in terms of BLU swords) or the pile of not worth upgrading, because ***'s an offhand weapon for Almace, or Tizona if you don't have Almace, or a mainhand if you lack anything else.

That leaves Tizona, my favorite weapon vs Almace, usually my offhand weapon, but get's arguably the more useful augment (CDC damage when main-handed only).

I really want to upgrade Tizona first, but uuuuugh, +CDC damage AND DEX+ T_T

I feel Tizona is the one to upgrade first. Huge acc and damage boost. Macc isn't something to scoff at either for BLU. Expiacion damage is a plus, should solidify it over Savage Blade in most cases where you don't care about SC properties.
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2018-09-11 07:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Tizona/raetic+1 with fully maxed tiz just got a new spectrum of epicness lol, must have.
[+]
 Asura.Ziasquinn
Server: Asura
user: ziasquinn
By Asura.Ziasquinn 2018-09-11 12:34:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Very nice damage boost to Tizona, puts it at very respectable DMG 165. I would probably be tempted to upgrade the Almace over the Tiz if the augs worked in off hand, DEX+70 is disgusting, but...

Yeah I was looking at the neck piece too and wondering the same thing. Those are some great stats. And it's prob a nice TP piece replacement for the Ainia collar.

Also echoing the question about the kaftan.
By Boshi 2018-09-11 13:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

fotia wins for cdc attack capped.
fotia wins for expi attack capped -barely-
low attack mirage wins for cdc -barely-
low attack mirage wins for expi handidly

(using 25/256 for fotia, not 25/250 like most sheets)
This does not account for fotia tp save procs.

Plugging new weapon stats -assuming almace augs don't work offhand at all not even the dex20 or dmg- I still get tizona/almace winning cdc spam

~~
Sabishii said: »
Asura.Ziasquinn said: »
Also echoing the question about the kaftan.
Adhemar+1: Dex45 str38 acc35 att55 ta4 critRate2 (also enmity-8 is relevant)
vs Abnoba: Dex+7 str+13 acc+13 att+33 critDmg+5 critRate+3 ta-4%
vs base Herc: Dex+11 str+10 acc+20 att+55 stp-3 critrate-1%

on absolute fodder attack super capped:
abnoba beating adh+1 by 344
herc 15/4/40/40 beating adh+1 by 367
herc 10/5/40/40 beating adh+1 by 341

When you do it against anything with relevant defense, say tojil with dia2/frailty/sweeping:
adh+1 beats abnoba by 339
adh+1 beats 15dex/4critd/40att/40acc perfect taup herc by 34
adh+1 beats 10dex/5critd/40att/40acc perfect fern herc by 60

(this is a tizona main / almace offhand setup, which should weaken the ta4% effect on adhemar)

Abnoba is fine to carry around for fodder, but Adhemar is really underrated. Part of it is that when abnoba came out Adh+1 was rather rare. Also the herc augs I used are extremely unrealistic.

You can make an "Ideal set herc body" like they suggest and hope that you can get a near-perfect aug with taupe in the hopes it'll be competitive with abnoba against fodder.
By Autocast 2018-09-11 14:04:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Feel like implying abnoba/herc is only good against "Fodder" is a bit misleading, not unrealistic to be attack capped against real content.

Was always under the impression that max gear sets implied max buffs. Think a good general rule is you should have an attack capped and uncapped ws set, assuming its on a job you take seriously.

Unless you were just talking specifically about things you do relatively unbuffed. On that note, is there anything that beats adh+1 pathB for uncapped attack?
[+]
By Nyarlko 2018-09-11 19:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

fotia wins for cdc attack capped.
fotia wins for expi attack capped -barely-
low attack mirage wins for cdc -barely-
low attack mirage wins for expi handidly

(using 25/256 for fotia, not 25/250 like most sheets)
This does not account for fotia tp save procs.

Fotias are simple fTP +0.1 mods as far as I am aware, so what is the 250/256 thing about? (Genuinely curious.)
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-09-11 19:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

they're 25/256, people are just scared of decimals.
[+]
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2018-09-13 19:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Can I use any stone to get ideal augments on Colada, and is any stone better than the other?

Also, assuming high DEX, DMG, Acc/Attack, is any one of DA/Crit/STP so far ahead of the others that it makes a huge difference?

Working on Almace, and maybe Tiz later, so I don’t want to sink millions into these. But I still want them to be nice.
By BlaTheTaru 2018-09-13 19:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Francisco said: »
Can I use any stone to get ideal augments on Colada, and is any stone better than the other?

Also, assuming high DEX, DMG, Acc/Attack, is any one of DA/Crit/STP so far ahead of the others that it makes a huge difference?

Working on Almace, and maybe Tiz later, so I don’t want to sink millions into these. But I still want them to be nice.

If you kitrons they will come.
 Shiva.Francisco
By Shiva.Francisco 2018-09-13 19:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

BlaTheTaru said: »
Shiva.Francisco said: »

If you kitrons they will come.

When life gives you Kitrons...
By Nyarlko 2018-09-13 22:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Austar said: »

Got a source? I have never seen fTP represented as anything other than decimal format, so I'm curious who's saying that it's n/256.
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2018-09-13 22:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Nyarlko said: »
Ramuh.Austar said: »

Got a source? I have never seen fTP represented as anything other than decimal format, so I'm curious who's saying that it's n/256.
https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/101702-Elemental-Belts?p=4331310&viewfull=1#post4331310

Quote:
Using ranged attacks for 100% accuracy it is clear that elemental belts add +.1 fTP (25/256) for physical weapon skills, the same as gorget~

people just like to round to 0.1 because 25 / 256 = 0.09765625
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-09-13 22:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't find the original testing that was specifically for fTP on WS, but this is tangentially related.

EDIT: Nvm Austar googled faster
By Boshi 2018-09-13 23:19:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing in this game works in a decimal formal.

All things like WSD, DT % ect are rounded up.

(ex: need 52% pdt in gear listed usually to cap actual 50% pdt)
 Phoenix.Tearxx
Server: Phoenix
user: Tearxx
By Phoenix.Tearxx 2018-09-17 00:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Zomorrodnegar (new su5 weap) have any use?
First Page 2 3 ... 342 343 344 ... 445 446 447