Eggshell Carving Art, Happy Easter Everyone!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Eggshell Carving Art, Happy Easter Everyone!
Eggshell Carving Art, Happy Easter Everyone!
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-08 09:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I found out about this artist, Franc Grom, from watching TV this morning and thought it would be a nice Easter theme to share with everyone :)

It's all too easy to accidentally poke a hole into an eggshell – but few people can do it in such a controlled way that it can be called art. Slovenian artist Franc Grom turns these incredibly delicate objects into diminutive, stunningly precise and detailed eggshell sculptures with a steady hand, a sharp eye and a tiny electric drill.

Grom can spend months on a single egg, patiently poking thousands upon thousands of holes into the fragile shell. Grom has created more than three hundred of these masterpieces, many of which have – of course – an Easter egg theme.

Inspired by traditional Slovenian designs, Grom's work ranges from asymmetrical botanical motifs to cutouts that glow brilliantly when illuminated from the inside. In some works, the remaining bits of eggshell that connect one part of a design to another are little more than a millimeter wide.

Growing up in a small village in Slovenia, Grom never considered turning his interest in art into a career. It wasn't until he retired that he began a new life as a respected craftsman, discovering an unusual skill which has gained him no small amount of attention, putting the tiny town of Vrhinka on the map. You can't find art like this anywhere else in the world, and Grom even has a thank-you letter on official White House stationary from pleased collector Bill Clinton.

(the tv show I was watching said he sells each egg shell sculpture for up to 500 dollars @.@)

That article had a link that shows even more egg art, but I'll spoiler that so my post isn't huge :o

Here are some more eggshell sculptures created by Franc Grom:
[+]
 Sylph.Kyogi
Server: Sylph
user: Kyogi
By Sylph.Kyogi 2012-04-08 09:59:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That's some eggcellent art right there.
[+]
 Asura.Bluespoons
Server: Asura
By Asura.Bluespoons 2012-04-08 09:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It's so awesome! But then it's something else that makes me realize I have no talents so now I have a sads.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-08 10:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Here are some more eggshell sculptures created by Franc Grom:
[+]
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-04-08 10:19:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
You can't find art like this anywhere else in the world
<_<;;;;;

http://www.desicolours.com/ostrich-egg-shell-art/28/08/2011
http://www.theeggshellsculptor.com/Gallery.html
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-08 10:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

whoa those are cool as well :o
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-04-08 10:23:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno how anyone has the patience to do that type of ***.. Spend weeks or months on it, and with how many they've made, you know they've broken quite a few near the end.. First time that happened to me I'd quit >_>
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-08 17:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Slipispsycho said: »
I dunno how anyone has the patience to do that type of ***.. Spend weeks or months on it, and with how many they've made, you know they've broken quite a few near the end.. First time that happened to me I'd quit >_>
Getting near the end of finishing one and it just falls apart :( I'd quit as well lol
 Gilgamesh.Kudos
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kudos
By Gilgamesh.Kudos 2012-04-08 17:50:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
Valefor.Slipispsycho said: »
Getting near the end of finishing one and it just falls apart :( I'd quit as well lol

Sometimes its not about the finished product, but about the enjoyment of just working on something.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-04-08 17:53:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I have to admire his patience.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo